• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 Fun Mapmaking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Should be playable, still missing a few features.

So far it has:
- King of the hill game mode, teams of up to 3. Points are gained while only 1 team controls the top.
- Custom cliff collision, you can run down cliffs but not up.
- 3D Knockback system used by 2 spells, you can get knocked off the cliff and have to run around to get to the top again.
- Jump spell so that you can jump up cliffs and to avoid ground damage (slam doesn't hit air units, storm bolt projectile checks height, units can only attack ground units)

To do:
- Runes (double damage, haste, etc)
- Custom running system (acceleration-based, means that jumping over cliffs will require a run-up to get enough speed)
- More spells
- Creep spawns with AI and spells
- Team setup selection (FFA, 6v6, etc)
- Spell combos, e.g. casting thunder clap after landing on the ground should add some effect

Attachments

• KingsOfTheMountain003.w3x
    53.3 KB · Views: 54
  • KingsOfTheMountain004.w3x
    53.9 KB · Views: 300

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Should be playable, still missing a few features.

So far it has:
- King of the hill game mode, teams of up to 3. Points are gained while only 1 team controls the top.
- Custom cliff collision, you can run down cliffs but not up.
- 3D Knockback system used by 2 spells, you can get knocked off the cliff and have to run around to get to the top again.
- Jump spell so that you can jump up cliffs and to avoid ground damage (slam doesn't hit air units, storm bolt projectile checks height, units can only attack ground units)

To do:
- Runes (double damage, haste, etc)
- Custom running system (acceleration-based, means that jumping over cliffs will require a run-up to get enough speed)
- More spells
- Creep spawns with AI and spells
- Team setup selection (FFA, 6v6, etc)
- Spell combos, e.g. casting thunder clap after landing on the ground should add some effect

This map definitely has potential. It reminds me of that Nintendo game Smash Bros

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Maybe it was spread rep? People spread rep points to give rep again to a person they want.

Level 25
Ah, that must be it. I didn't consider that Thunder Clap's terrain deformation could cause issues.

EDIT: Did some testing with a second PC, can't get it to desync with any combination of thunder clap with and the systems that use GetLocationZ (projectile, leap movement). Heightmap desyncs are probably a bit harder to achieve on a LAN connection, though.

Level 13
Hey, um... why did you give me rep? I didn't succeed at making the map...
Doesn't matter, you tried it at least.
And I gave +rep to everyone who actively participated.

Edit: First video done. I started with a compilation of the shortest gameplays.

Edit2: Added the gameplay of LordDzs Teamwork map.

Edit3: Added the first gameplay of Gorgonage's Clash in Mountain Valley.

Edit4: Added the second gameplay of Gorgonage's Clash in Mountain Valley. That were all games I could record.
I have some replays of games I couldn't fully participate. I also could record those, as well maybe.

Last edited:
Level 26
Round #7

Merry Easter, you bunnies,

It's time for another Mapmaking Challenge. Next weekend at that already, from 10th to 11th of April, 8:30 pm to 8:30 pm (UTC+2), Timer.

Last time we had arena and aoen. So the genre pool for this round now looks like this (two of the green options will be rolled when the event begins):

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Merry Easter, you bunnies,

It's time for another Mapmaking Challenge. Next weekend at that already, from 10th to 11th of April, 8:30 pm to 8:30 pm (UTC+2), Timer.

Last time we had arena and aoen. So the genre pool for this round now looks like this (two of the green options will be rolled when the event begins):

aeon
arena

capture the flag
survival
escape
footmen wars
misc
rpg/adventure
tower defense

How about melee map? Not really a melee, it's like meele-RPG. You play as a peasant (or any worker) and your race will be controlled by AI. You help your faction to win by being useful diligent worker. Sounds interesting?

Kazeon

Level 33
Doesn't somebody mind to explain how this challenge work? I still don't understand after reading the main post. So, are we creating a map within 24 hours, after the timer is started, and should submit it before the timer ends? What if I post my map nowhere during the timer? Will you guys still play it, maybe in the next Funmap Evening? And about rolling the genre, I still don't understand.
(two of the green options will be rolled when the event begins):
What are you rolling there? The genre of map we should make or the genre that you will play in the Funmap Evening?

The way no one responded to my last post is quite pissing me, especially the way WaterKnight ignoring my post. LOL Guys, I'm trying to take part here but no one is even willing to help. But I will let it go for now. :)

Level 26
So, are we creating a map within 24 hours, after the timer is started, and should submit it before the timer ends?

Yes.

What if I post my map nowhere during the timer? Will you guys still play it, maybe in the next Funmap Evening? And about rolling the genre, I still don't understand.

This is no contest. The challenge is imposed on yourself. So even if you submit your entry a bit later, we do not mind. But the Funmap Evening will already start half an hour after the timer has expired, so you may miss parts if you want to participate or it may get in line. It has been quite common for the earlier rounds that maps still get hotfixed after the deadline.

And again, we always encourage the mapmakers to show up at the Funmap Evening

What are you rolling there? The genre of map we should make or the genre that you will play in the Funmap Evening?

footmen wars and misc (anything that does not fit the other categories) were rolled. You are supposed to pick at least one of those genres and realize it in your map. Same for the keywords.

So me for example will build an underground footmen wars variant with mining crystals as one objective.

The way no one responded to my last post is quite pissing me, especially the way WaterKnight ignoring my post. LOL Guys, I'm trying to take part here but no one is even willing to help. But I will let it go for now. :)

Sorry, I did not remember your post, was in a hurry to post the announcement. Melee is not represented as a genre at the moment but as said above, misc is a wild card for whatever is not in the list. Also it does not have to be pure anyway. You are to incorporate the genre but it may as well be a mixture.

edit: Here is the ending timer.

Kazeon

Level 33
This is what I got so far. Feedback plz.

Matched genre: misc
Matched keyword: crystal (there are ice crystal tiles in some parts :p)

I gonna write some descriptions here. In progress...

Your role in this map is a worker (peasant, peon, wisp, and acolyte). Your job is to become useful worker to help your faction win. But compared to other workers, you have some special abilities:
- You can pick and use items
- You have exp and level
- You inherit all abilities of normal units of your faction race. However, your faction need to research those abilities before you can use it.
- You have some attributes (damage, armor, mana, and hp) which can be upgraded using attribute points (not working atm).

Some other hints:
- You can determine your faction's race in the lobby, while your own race does not affect anything.
- Currently, you can only gain XP by gathering resources for your faction. Every level you will get 3 attribute points, every 3 level you will get 1 skill point.
- You can buy items but using your personal properties (gold and lumber)
- The game is totally playable without any other player.
- You have limited privileges since you are just worker. You are unable to build structures on your own.
- If you are undead, your acolyte has special ability to gather lumber from trees.
- Try to switch between team color filter (the button is beside the minimap) until you find the most fitting one.

To-do:
- Skill learning.
- Faction Quests, merits, and titles
- On combat EXP income
- Special build. You will be able to build some defensive structures but using your own properties.

"Experience being the weakest"

Attachments

• (4) ColdHeart [RPGM].w3x
    218.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

@Quilnez
For some reason, I occasionally lose control over worker, and can't tell him what to do for a while. I'm not sure if something like that is suppose to happened.

Kazeon

Level 33
@Quilnez
For some reason, I occasionally lose control over worker, and can't tell him what to do for a while. I'm not sure if something like that is suppose to happened.

Click Idle Worker icon to navigate you to your unit. Hint: change Team Color Filter Mode to 1 (button is beside the minimap) to differentiate your units color. :)

Crap! I forgot to edit after the Undead testings. Faction 1 can only become Undead atm. :(

Level 13
Crystal Lords
made by Gorgonage feat. bhusta

Genre: Footman Wars
Keyword: Crystals

Every player has a base where servants spawn, which can be upgraded and drop consumables if killed.

The goal is to destroy the enemy bases.

Every player receives 1 gold per second for every controlled crystal.
One gets control of a crystals by attacking it.

Attachments

• 24H_FW_2.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 24H_FW_3.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • 24H_FW_4.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Level 19
Before the next Challenge takes place, I would like to think of possible changes and/or variety to the event. Do you have any suggestions? I will announce the upcoming Challenge next friday.

Map rain mode: Make at least 5 maps that are somewhat playable. Doesn't matter genre or anything.

Track mode: One user makes a map of any size. The next user takes the same map and has to double it's size, but making good use of space. This shall continue until you no longer can double the size of the map.

Heavy mode: A user makes a map with any weight. The next user has to double it. The challenge ends when the last user isn't able to double the map size within 24 hours.

Reverse engineering: Each user is given a map which they have to reverse engineer. Users have to remove as much content as possible while still retaining the original idea.

I think those are okay.

Level 26

Announcement Note

Okay, next challenge is 6th to 7th May (8.30 to 8.30 pm, UTC+2), see timer.
Since Footmen Wars and Misc were chosen last time, they will be blocked for this round.

153935d1460730707-wc3-fun-mapmaking-challenge-tinkerannouncement.png

aeon
arena
capture the flag
survival
escape

footmen wars
misc

rpg/adventure
tower defense

Newcomers should read the first post for rules. The event concludes with a Funmap Evening half an hour after the deadline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.