• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warden #42

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Hosted Project Forum

warden-glow-2-gif.277539
warden-title-png.169522
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
ruler-2-png.249639

-Main Features-
267_1.png
Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
101_1.png
Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
98_1.png
Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
293_1.png
Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

counterwardenthread-png.269474
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
Level 9
I've played only on normal so far. You are very good at creating puzzles and I wish there were more games that made you think like this one. That is a major highlight for me and I was impressed. I tried really hard on that cross puzzle but damn I suck at those types hahahaha...

Also I want to mention what you did with the catapult - I really enjoyed that. This campaign has a good tutorial, and that may sound funny but a lot of tutorials in games aren't that great and many have none at all. I've never personally played a game like this and when I saw the description on the front page, I was really excited because it sounded right up my alley.

I love the music, the terrain is good even though you elected not to use imports. The warcraft related lore is dead to me cause I've been around it too many years lol but the look definitely fit nicely. A lot of text needs to be proofread. That always happens in these kind of maps which I don't understand because it completely breaks immersion. The ice temple was very cool, it felt just like a zelda dungeon. Your use of images and especially the runes on the icecrown tiles was an awesome touch. I never expected anyone to use them like that.

Now, it feels like I'm playing NES in 1987 because this game is so damn hard. There's no difficulty curve at all, it just starts out kicking your ass. It feels flat out unfair, you can be killed almost instantly if you don't react perfectly. Maybe I should've started on easy, since it seems like normal is actually the hard setting. That being said, this does help you adjust/improve much more quickly.

The turn rate and small cone AoE of the warden is annoying. You think you're able to hit something but nope...it's just not intuitive enough in my opinion. This is made worse by the wait period between dash and being able to attack again. It's really hard to deal with when spamming buttons in a fast moment. The lich battle was absolutely infuriating for me. The entire screen is white because your fogs are too dense. I could hardly see any of the spells, so it was either run around helplessly for eternity or dart in close and die instantly.

As far as a suggestion maybe, I feel like there are times where you're fighting monsters for no gain, only to lose HP and die on something that actually matters. In zelda four swords adventures you'd reset your cash after each level. That was a temporary objective for each stage that would help you get stronger, similar to the health regen upgrade. That was appreciated to be sure. Unfortunately that is a passive effect (aka limited amount of interesting interaction) so something more active would've been nice.

Again, I love the Zelda influence (like the Lost Woods and Forest Temple, that was priceless) and you have done a good job executing that. It's something I always wanted to do when I was little.

Last edited:
Level 26
Very nice to read your review Shyster!
I've played only on normal so far. You are very good at creating puzzles and I wish there were more games that made you think like this one. That is a major highlight for me and I was impressed. I tried really hard on that cross puzzle but damn I suck at those types hahahaha...
Don't worry, I only know two people having been able to beat that puzzle, and I am one of them... :D
I'm glad you appreciated it anyway! Making puzzles for this project is by far the funniest thing to do with the project!

It is good that you found the catapult tutorial clear and helpful!
I think that actually a lot of people are having problems with those maps because they lack information on how to play. Unless you play the tutorial, you might not be able to come very far at all.

Feel free to report all spelling mistakes you find!
It feels like I gain temporary dyslexia when creating those maps... :D
Now, it feels like I'm playing NES in 1987 because this game is so damn hard. There's no difficulty curve at all, it just starts out kicking your ass. It feels flat out unfair, you can be killed almost instantly if you don't react perfectly. Maybe I should've started on easy, since it seems like normal is actually the hard setting. That being said, this does help you adjust/improve much more quickly.
I agree.
I think it is too hard to start with, and I'm not quite sure how to solve this.
Perhaps I should just add a recommended playing order of the maps, and add a few easier ones before Solen's Sanctuary.
The turn rate and small cone AoE of the warden is annoying. You think you're able to hit something but nope...it's just not intuitive enough in my opinion. This is made worse by the wait period between dash and being able to attack again. It's really hard to deal with when spamming buttons in a fast moment. The lich battle was absolutely infuriating for me. The entire screen is white because your fogs are too dense. I could hardly see any of the spells, so it was either run around helplessly for eternity or dart in close and die instantly.
I'm always working on making this system as non-sluggish as possible.
It is not quite perfect yet, but I think it works at least. I should perhaps ask a real coder to take a look at the triggers, and try to make them more efficent and less sluggish.
The lich battle can be updated to have less fog. :)
As far as a suggestion maybe, I feel like there are times where you're fighting monsters for no gain, only to lose HP and die on something that actually matters. In zelda four swords adventures you'd reset your cash after each level. That was a temporary objective for each stage that would help you get stronger, similar to the health regen upgrade. That was appreciated to be sure. Unfortunately that is a passive effect (aka limited amount of interesting interaction) so something more active would've been nice.
I have had a few ideas about this, but none of them really turned out great.
In future maps there might come rewards for monsters, or perhaps simply make them impossible to pass, so that you have to kill them in order to get a room key or something.
Again, I love the Zelda influence (like the Lost Woods and Forest Temple, that was priceless) and you have done a good job executing that. It's something I always wanted to do when I was little.
Thanks a lot!
I love zelda too. Especially the music. :)

Thanks a lot for taking your time and write down your thoughts!
It is very appreciated and helpful. :)

Level 9
Hey there, thanks for replying to everything! Since I'm apparently never going to bed I'll add a few more things...

Don't worry, I only know two people having been able to beat that puzzle, and I am one of them... :D
I'm glad you appreciated it anyway! Making puzzles for this project is by far the funniest thing to do with the project!

It is good that you found the catapult tutorial clear and helpful!

I'll have you know I tried for half an hour lol...my brain doesn't process "break it in order to finish it" very well. I got about halfway though. That's the point where it just starts getting ridiculous

As for the catapult, that's obviously not a difficult mechanic to add to a game but that's just it. It's simple and it gets you thinking "Ooh, what all can I do with this new toy?" More of that! That's why I think some kind of permanent items would be fun too. That'd also be a lot of work lmfao so that's just me thinking out loud.

Perhaps I should just add a recommended playing order of the maps, and add a few easier ones before Solen's Sanctuary.

I started from the top and went in descending order. The tutorial is good, it's more that the first place you go to just wrecks you unless you adapt immediately. There needs to be a map in between that strikes a balance between putting you in a thought provoking situation but also not overwhelming. Situations where you have to adapt like you already have, but allow more time for the player to do so without being punished.

I like the way you demonstrated how to fight different enemies. As soon as I saw you write how each enemy is different it reminded me of zelda and the first final fantasy where you literally don't know anything about them until they hit you. That was awesome and refreshing. Wish more games were like that because it makes them more memorable and exciting.

In future maps there might come rewards for monsters, or perhaps simply make them impossible to pass, so that you have to kill them in order to get a room key or something.

Ah, hadn't thought of that. Keys are a fun mini progression tool, especially if you have to choose between doors, etc. and might give you an excuse to come up with some treasure (insert boomerang here) if you wanted to put that kind of time into it. That sounds like fun

Level 26
You obviousy have the same way of thinking as I have about this campaign, which is very good. Awesome. :D
I started from the top and went in descending order. The tutorial is good, it's more that the first place you go to just wrecks you unless you adapt immediately. There needs to be a map in between [...]
Yes!
I should start working on that right now. I might go for a small peaceful forest like the kokiri village.
some treasure (insert boomerang here)
My idea was to unlock new skills over time.
I have a demo of future abilities. Here it is: Bug Hunting and Opinions!
I'd be glad to see what you think about them!
I like the way you demonstrated how to fight different enemies. As soon as I saw you write how each enemy is different it reminded me of zelda and the first final fantasy where you literally don't know anything about them until they hit you. That was awesome and refreshing. Wish more games were like that because it makes them more memorable and exciting.
I thought it was important not to just have the standard combat system that warcraft normally have, and that did not just include not having the regular movement and attack system. :)
Although, I would like to have a theme for each enemy.
When you see an enemy that have the same ability as another enemy you saw in another map, it should also look alike. That is not the case right now, as dark depths contains many enemies with the same enemies with new models. It would help having the same theme of enemies in all maps, but that might also destroy the theme of a map.
I'm not sure what to do about that yet.
I got about halfway though. That's the point where it just starts getting ridiculous
Sorry, but if you think you got halfways, you probably didn't get halfways... :D
As for the catapult, that's obviously not a difficult mechanic to add to a game but that's just it. It's simple and it gets you thinking "Ooh, what all can I do with this new toy?" More of that! That's why I think some kind of permanent items would be fun too. That'd also be a lot of work lmfao so that's just me thinking out loud.
Feel free to contribute!
I like this aswell, since you have a lot of possibilities with this kind of object.
I have like ten more concepts where I will use catapults so far, three of them being in tropic tomb. You might really enjoy that one! :)
I will use the owls and blades again in the future too, and other traps that reappears.

Last edited:
Level 9
You obviousy have the same way of thinking as I have about this campaign, which is very good. Awesome. :D

Yes!
I should start working on that right now. I might go for a small peaceful forest like the kokiri village.

My idea was to unlock new skills over time.
I have a demo of future abilities. Here it is: Bug Hunting and Opinions!
I'd be glad to see what you think about them!

It's too bad there isn't like...a single good model of Link ever made :p (which I don't understand at all), if you were driving a Zelda project I would ask to be part of it in a second.

I need to get around to playing the other maps, can't remember where I was in the Forest Temple. I downloaded that link so I'll get to that at some point too.

I thought it was important not to just have the standard combat system that warcraft normally have, and that did not just include not having the regular movement and attack system. :)
Although, I would like to have a theme for each enemy.
When you see an enemy that have the same ability as another enemy you saw in another map, it should also look alike. That is not the case right now, as dark depths contains many enemies with the same enemies with new models. It would help having the same theme of enemies in all maps, but that might also destroy the theme of a map.
I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

Well, you could just say screw it and use the same models repeatedly. Personally I value consistency very high in game design. Think how everyone knows a Granite Golem is really tough and immune to magic -- using the same model doesn't always match the theme of the dungeon perfectly, but if you pick good ones then, like in Zelda they pretty much can go anywhere. In ocarina of time, you encounter Stalfos in the Forest, Shadow or Spirit temples, the same enemy but fits thematically in all three dungeons.

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Level 26
It's too bad there isn't like...a single good model of Link ever made :p (which I don't understand at all), if you were driving a Zelda project I would ask to be part of it in a second.
It could have been awesome to be able to recognize stufff drom the series, but yeah, I doubt any good link models will come up.

Think how everyone knows a Granite Golem is really tough and immune to magic
Yes, exactly. I am about to go with a general skeletal theme, as it fits most dungeons. Golems and other magical beasts could fit in many places too. I will only make minor changees such as tinting colour so that the units fits to the specific map (like blueish on Bonechiller Burrow and redish on Solen's Sanctuary). Dark depths might have to be an exception though.

I need to get around to playing the other maps, can't remember where I was in the Forest Temple. I downloaded that link so I'll get to that at some point too.
Please do! Don't forget to rate it afterwards too! :)

Huh, you're the first one to say Dark Depths!
Forest temple is my #2, but Bonechiller Burrow is my favorite. :)

Could you go ahead and vote here: Poll: Best Project Map?
I wanna get the forum started. :)
Yes, Bonechiller Burrow is better than Dark Depths, but I like Dark Depths more of Bonechiller Burrow.
I will vote on that forum!

Level 9
It could have been awesome to be able to recognize stufff drom the series, but yeah, I doubt any good link models will come up.

Yes, exactly. I am about to go with a general skeletal theme, as it fits most dungeons. Golems and other magical beasts could fit in many places too. I will only make minor changees such as tinting colour so that the units fits to the specific map (like blueish on Bonechiller Burrow and redish on Solen's Sanctuary). Dark depths might have to be an exception though.

Please do! Don't forget to rate it afterwards too! :)

Gave it a quick spin today. Did you plan on using all of those abilities in a single map? I think that was the biggest issue for me, since everything hit so hard I never felt like I had a chance to get good at timing my stuns, etc. Maybe setting out a bit more time to use each skill individually (skippable) for those like me who haven't played this type of map before.

I had a cool idea about the hookshot. Depending on how you want to evolve these maps you could create a third-person angle for the hookshot. Then a couple buttons while in hookshot mode to allow aiming. That'd allow for a lot more 3D zelda like environments. But you may not want to do that since it would likely require a lot of new maps.

I like the farore's wind skill, and the shade too. If it were me I'd say 2-3 of these max per level, with some way of knowing what tools you have ahead of time. Unless they're unlocked or something on a per map basis, but that could just be me since I've never been a fan of the qwerty hotkey system, and prefer Blizzard's system where a certain letter (ie T for Scout Tower) lands on a certain memorable emphasis in the name of the skill.

P.S. only oddity I found (and you may already be aware of this) is on elevation when casting the hookshot. The head does not keep the same height as the chain. Now if you have a solution to this I'd love to hear it because I have that kind of problem a lot myself with my project and it is very irritating lol

-§hy

Level 26
No, all abilities will probably not be available at the same time in one map. Perhaps up to three at a time, but even then you won't be able to use them quickly after each other. I think I will do this: all the extra abilities will have the hotkey R. That means, that you will only have access to one special ability at a time. In order to use another ability, you have to switch your first extra ability for the second one. I'm not sure how this switch is going to happen yet, but I have two or three ideas.
I think that was the biggest issue for me, since everything hit so hard I never felt like I had a chance to get good at timing my stuns, etc. Maybe setting out a bit more time to use each skill individually (skippable) for those like me who haven't played this type of map before.
If I didn't answer this above, I don't quite understand what you meant here? :)
I had a cool idea about the hookshot. Depending on how you want to evolve these maps you could create a third-person angle for the hookshot. Then a couple buttons while in hookshot mode to allow aiming. That'd allow for a lot more 3D zelda like environments. But you may not want to do that since it would likely require a lot of new maps.
We have similiar thinking!
It will not be third person (because that would be nasty and interfere with the terrain when looking in different angles) but you will (might) be able to aim more carefully than just in 8 directions. I will implement an "aiming mode", so that when it is activated, you can use the left and right arrowkeys to slowly change facing angle until you look straight upon your target.
I like the farore's wind skill, and the shade too
Not sure what things you are reffering to here?
P.S. only oddity I found (and you may already be aware of this) is on elevation when casting the hookshot. The head does not keep the same height as the chain. Now if you have a solution to this I'd love to hear it because I have that kind of problem a lot myself with my project and it is very irritating lol
Ah, yeah. Lightning effects are really irritating to work with.
I unfortunately don't have a better solution than the one that is already in the test map. :/
I can try to answer your questions about lightning effects though if you have any more! :D

Level 9
No, all abilities will probably not be available at the same time in one map. Perhaps up to three at a time, but even then you won't be able to use them quickly after each other. I think I will do this: all the extra abilities will have the hotkey R. That means, that you will only have access to one special ability at a time. In order to use another ability, you have to switch your first extra ability for the second one. I'm not sure how this switch is going to happen yet, but I have two or three ideas.

Ah ok, that's what I was thinking. That gives each skill more meaning and is an easy way to keep the game interesting from start to finish.

We have similiar thinking!
It will not be third person (because that would be nasty and interfere with the terrain when looking in different angles) but you will (might) be able to aim more carefully than just in 8 directions. I will implement an "aiming mode", so that when it is activated, you can use the left and right arrowkeys to slowly change facing angle until you look straight upon your target.

I'd like to see what all you come up with for this. I love the idea of using other objects to help solve puzzles.

Not sure what things you are reffering to here?

The recall to point ability and the controllable image. I think those are great ideas for a series like the one you're making. I'm interested to see the results and how they become part of the game.

Level 26
The recall to point ability and the controllable image. I think those are great ideas for a series like the one you're making. I'm interested to see the results and how they become part of the game.
Ah, now I understand. Thanks! :)
Well, the Rewind (recall to point) ability is so much fun to work with. It is a really good mechanic that requires thinking to use correctly, and, if used efficently in combat, you can really have a good fight outcome. I also already have many puzzles that usees this mechanic, especially in Tropic Tomb.

The Projection ability (controllable image) is trickier to use in puzzles and such, but I had a few ideas when I created it, and it will be great for cautious players or sneak maps, when you need to scout an area before engaging.

I love the idea of using other objects to help solve puzzles.
I have a boss fight idea, where you havee to pick up and hold items in order to protect yourself from incoming attacks (like a shield) or attack from a distance by picking up a gun thingy. I think this can turn out greatly. :)

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

Update:
All maps now have an awesome warden skin (Made by @Wisdom) implemented! Looks fancy af.

Also, the objectives dialog have been removed.

I Feel honoured.. :D

i hope the best for this project and good luck for you rufus!

Level 26
@Emm-A-, I summon you!
Just asking, as you have been very helpful, and played the warden maps: Do you think I should reduce the general difficulty?
Then I mean make most puzzles and obstacles as well as enemies and bosses easier too. I'd love your opinion! :)

Anybody else are free to pitch in too, of course!

Level 15
Awesome map! Atmosphere is really sweet.
I love controls and puzzles!

Minor fix:
Score screen hero is Garithos instead the Warden.

Suggestion to improve:

- Creeps should have able/dissable life bar, maybe able trought ingame menu like energy bar and this bar should not be able in hard mode. Creeps in hard mode should have a small random bonus of HP so you don't know exactly the timing to do the last hit on each one and made each enemy unique. Another easy way to do this is add more dice part to Q attack...
- Warden should do walk animation a bitter slowly or increase her ms.

Question: why remove the leaf board of the night elf? don't miss understand me, I love the clean menu, but why not use the night elf able?

Level 26
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Do you mean in the post game score screen?
I thought I made the player skip that... :D

The game is best played with at all times enabled health bars. I gotta add this somewhere so that players are aware of it. Blocking out health bars only in one mode is not very easy, and it will probably not be done. I get your idea though, and it might be useful for future maps. Thanks!
I thought walk animation was pretty much on spot, but I'll see if I can improve it further! I will increase animation speed, not movement.

Well, because the UI in the map is very special. First of all, I wanted the map to have a minimalistic UI, and that allowed for a very clean design as it is now. The normal UI (night elven fo example) is made up out of 4 pieces of BLP images. Changing those takes more filespace, and, more importantly, does not block out the clock. It took me forever to figure out how to hide the clock permanently, as there were always glowing effects shining through the UI. So, what I did was replacing the clock with the current UI, swatting two flies with one strike.

Which map was your favorite?

Level 10
Well, i found 2 bugs while playing the map. Thats a really great series you got there :) (btw, i like the Legend of Zelda references in there, for example that chicken...)

-I can skip the talk with the chieftain (and keep my hard earned money :<) by bringing a barrel from the floor before to the entrance of the endless cave, blowing the rocks up.
-After i killed the boss sludge, the game doesnt conclude. The attached tentacle effect of the boss still lingered, while other mobs and tentacles still spawned. Did i miss something there or was this a bug? For sake of replication, i began tanking the sludge from like 75% hp, just running away when set up the traps or that "burning" effect. (Well, i had like 4 soul stones on hard left, so i didnt bothered with tactics on that one :D )
-The first bridge from the entrance in the first cave can be blown up. You can still walk over it, so its just a cosmetic problem.

Level 26
I'm really glad you liked it!
Personally those two are my favourites, Bonechiller Burrow having slightly better gameplay, and Forest Temple having a real nice Zelda atmosphere. I'm excited to hear your opinion! :)
I love their music so much.

Level 3
Hello, I could solve the puzzle at first lvl, but there was a bug.
Visionneuse images - Noelshack
The bonus did apply countless time, and I ended up with 5000+ damage instead of 110. I one shotted boss, not sure of how hard he was.

Other than that I really like this campain atm, but I'll wait to finnish it to give a rating. I think it should be nice to give example on catapult note "how to use", and if possible improve moving path (sometimes she stop move for like 0.5 sec, or move slowly and seems to get blocked by something invisible). Though I'll be honnest, I hardly never did a wc3 map without get these kind of path problem, so not sure of if it's really possible to improve.

Hello, I could solve the puzzle at first lvl, but there was a bug.
Visionneuse images - Noelshack
The bonus did apply countless time, and I ended up with 5000+ damage instead of 110. I one shotted boss, not sure of how hard he was.

Other than that I really like this campain atm, but I'll wait to finnish it to give a rating. I think it should be nice to give example on catapult note "how to use", and if possible improve moving path (sometimes she stop move for like 0.5 sec, or move slowly and seems to get blocked by something invisible). Though I'll be honnest, I hardly never did a wc3 map without get these kind of path problem, so not sure of if it's really possible to improve.
Did you enjoy it? A puzzle game is really enjoyable!

Level 26
Good job man!
Few people seem to be able to solve that puzzle!

I'll look into the repeating bug. EDIT: Solved!
I'm not sure what you mean about the movement bug. The thing that she reacs slowly after pressing an arrowkey, that is just warcrafts engine, and unfortunately I don't think anytthing can be done about it. :/
But being blocked by something invisible and move slower at times, I'm not quit sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

There is a book you can find that tells you how to use the catapult. You managed to figure it out anyway?

I'm glad you want to play more! What would you give the map you played in score?
Be sure to leave more comments if you find anything that is wrong, or if you find something that you really like, so I can perhaps use similiar concepts again. :)

Level 3
Did you enjoy it? A puzzle game is really enjoyable!
Yeah it's relly fun ! I like the map atm^^

a) But being blocked by something invisible and move slower at times, I'm not quit sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

b) There is a book you can find that tells you how to use the catapult. You managed to figure it out anyway?

c) I'm glad you want to play more! What would you give the map you played in score?

a) Mmmmh, I don't really know. It's probably due to structures hitbox being weird, unfortunatly you can't do anything against that. Also sometimes it happend when I tried to destroy a scarab's nest, in that case it can be creep block. (can be solved by making some ennemies flying ? but then might become weird and be a bad idea)
Also happend once with these tower throwing out things, where you need to be under ams to survive. At right of mid tower, if you don't follow the designated path you get blocked by something invisible.

b) I found it, though took me some times to understand how to write it, that's why I suggest to put an example in the book.

c) I would prefer finnish it to give a real rating, but I really enjoyed first lvl ! Atm I would say 4.5/5, maybe more.

Level 26
I tried with flying units, but that was strange. I've also tried with the warden ignoring unit collision, but that ended up nasty.
I haven't heard anyone else have this kind of issues though, so perhaps it is not a super big problem. :)

I'll see if I can add an example too!

All good with the rating. I'm asking because I want to know which map people prefer the most, so that I'll know what way to continue develop future maps.

Level 26
Well, i found 2 bugs while playing the map. Thats a really great series you got there :) (btw, i like the Legend of Zelda references in there, for example that chicken...)

-I can skip the talk with the chieftain (and keep my hard earned money :<) by bringing a barrel from the floor before to the entrance of the endless cave, blowing the rocks up.
-After i killed the boss sludge, the game doesnt conclude. The attached tentacle effect of the boss still lingered, while other mobs and tentacles still spawned. Did i miss something there or was this a bug? For sake of replication, i began tanking the sludge from like 75% hp, just running away when set up the traps or that "burning" effect. (Well, i had like 4 soul stones on hard left, so i didnt bothered with tactics on that one :D )
-The first bridge from the entrance in the first cave can be blown up. You can still walk over it, so its just a cosmetic problem.
Fixed those issues now. :)
Did you try any of the other maps?

Level 15
Tagged below is the map review for Warden campaign, although I only managed to play Solem's Temple, this much of content is respectable.

Review
Warden campaign offers an entertaining way of playing flight-control style game on the warcraft 3 engine. The help screen is a commendable feature which teaches the player all the basics required to get started. The terrain are interesting and well formed, the controls are rather smooth. The game is considerably difficult even on easy mode with twice the health, the puzzles are also challenging.

Terrain: 4/5 : Not much to mention here, the terrain fits the environment well and the puzzles merges with it to form a good experience. The dessert was well done as there was a wide range of sand where there seems to render the player at the middle of no-where.

Character: 4.5/5: The character was well thought out, with the basic attack command, a dash and an area stun ability. I also like how the dash and stun ability has a beautiful particle effect that takes the character's story to life.

Game: 5/5: The game is filled with surprising new styles and challenge along with a mystery of what is to come. Players can also try the tutorial to get good at the game. The mini-boss fights are great and I like how the warcraft abilities were flashed out to show how powerful they can really be. I specifically only played versus Ice Banshee and Ghoul. I do think Ghoul's ability to become immune is a little too strong but the Frost Nova ability from Ice Banshee was great.

Total: 4.5/5

Pardon me for not able to do all the maps as I felt frustrated after two skeletons were in triple obelisk trap. I was technically unable to escape the ever taunting task along with vorpal blades that come in peace :(
Good job Rufus, the community rating are truely satisfied by your talented approach to the genre :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 26
I'm glad you liked the terrain, but to be honest, I think Solen's sanctuary have the worst terrain so far. :D
Many people say that it is a little bit hard. Perhaps I should try to make it a bit easier.
The ghoul being invulnerable will be updated so that you can see that he becomes invulnerable, so the player won't think it is a bug or something. Also, more special ability enemies are coming up in later maps!

Thanks for the review! :D

Level 11
[Review Exchange Event][25.12.2016]

Introduction

Gameplay

Aesthetic

The Story/Plot

Spelling / Grammar

Bugs

Suggestions

Conclusion

Introduction
Of course I'm glad there are WC3 fans who still devoted to the game and they are making the projects with unusual gameplay mechanic.
The "Warden" is one of them. The feature of the game is button control. The controlling of the hero is on good level. Looks like the author knew new players will have a problem with it, so it made the control to be the most convenient for this subgenre of RPG. However, in some cases the controlling may "betray" you by doing very short delays, but it's WC3, dear ones, here you should close eyes on a some problems. To be honest I wanted to compare this project with something similar in the WC3 field, but I didn't find it. So this review will hard for me to write it.
Gameplay
First time It was unusual for me to keep the right hand on the arrow buttons, but I adapted already.
That is surprising me is moving on diagonal direction, but it seems the hero moves faster while moving that way. I used this bug or feature in the boss battles. The hero has 4 skills, each of them is useful in all cases, but during the process I had one tactic: waiting for stun cooldown and start attacking then. It is worth to mention there are variety types of enemies which requires the special way to eliminate, I really like it feature, it makes the battles quite dynamic.
You can also pick power ups which improve your health, attack power or health regeneration, but the campaign doesn't save your progress. It's very disappointing: I always is looking for power bonuses during proceeding any campaign to challenge the boss of the campaign to show it the true power. Also I'd like to see more bonuses like Stun duration increasing or movement speed boost, or The Dash cooldown decreasing.
The boss battles are dynamic, it looks like playing on a piano. However no markers here to show what boss is going to do, that leads me to the Save/Load queue.
The tutorial is enough satisfactory to involve into the game.
Also I mentioned next disadvantages:
- Hit box of certain enemies are quite small. Even hero's animation shows that you blade touched the enemy body, but you doesn't deal any damage.
- Hit detect. Auto attack here is spamming [Q]. You tried to attack enemy thinking you are dealing damage, but it's not. I prefer there must be a sign to show me that my attacks are hit the target.
Aesthetic
All levels are atmospheric. You have no feelings about the decorations are the same. You really believe that a snow map, for example, is actually a snow map with natural looking. Talking about the map loading screen i think the picture is descended (the night elf's feet are cut). I don't know was it intentional or not. Also problem - terrain doesn't have shadows (use calculate shadows or move to your friend with a better computer to calculate it.)
The story/Plot
It doesn't exist here. Or at least while seeing the campaign screen menu all chapter called "Side Quest Map". I have two variants: either the author wants to make an endless sandbox with new levels without any story links or it prepares a set of "Story Mode" maps. I thought I will play as Maiev, but then I realized she went into the Burning Crusade add-on to up her level from 10 to 71. Looks like the author wanted to show us the story about one injured warden in the "Illiden" prison, but then decided to make that we have now.
Spelling / Grammar
No issues here.
Bugs
While playing some chapters I found some bugs:
While start the Solen's Tomb I wanted to turn the energy scale on, but black screen filter appeared.
The puzzle with colored platform in the Solen's Tomb: I finished the stage 1, but stage 2 is getting bugged. I couldn't see some platforms and some of positions has a few platforms.
Rune of Healing: The game message said it must restore 50% of max health, but it seems it restore 50% of current health. Something is laying.
While clicking the Warden in Bonechiller's Barrrow I'm hearing a voice of creep NPC.
Saving time is increasing significantly during the walkthrough (maybe it's just for me).
Suggestions (it's not compulsory):
Let the Invisible rune to appear after the hero interacts the switch in the Solen's Tomb after Ziggurat event.
The hit detect and hit box size problems are mentioned above.
The shadow calculation is mentioned above.
Do something with the saving player's progress with new power ups.
Marking boss abilities to show player what to do.
I give it 4.5 / 5 It's a good project to kill the time with a good potential. I marked not because of original gameplay (you can remove the button system and nothing changed except you can't pass some places). It's good dynamic RPG, the author contributed a lot of energy into it. It's sad you can't save your progress, and it contains some insignificant bugs. Plus I'd like to see more battle abilities for Warden (like Frontal Fan of Knives which slows the hero after the using within a short time) and the actual story plot.