1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warden #42

Submitted by Rufus
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Hosted Project Forum [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
Warden is a single player campaign with unique boss fights, puzzles and gameplay, inspired by Zelda.
[​IMG]
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

-Main Features-
[​IMG] Arrowkey Movement
A very polished system for arrowkey movement has been created for this project. The player can also use
the cursor for movement, if that is preferred.
[​IMG] Intriguing Story
Canon to the warcraft lore, the story-telling in the campaign overmaps covers holes in warcrafts own lore,
such as how Felwood was before its corruption, or how Maievs prison where she held Illidan came to be.
[​IMG] Puzzles, Obstacles and Boss Fights
You will encounter a great deal of puzzles that requires some brains to solve, and obstacles where speed and
timing is key. Boss fights, which are fairly common, often requires you to those previous qualities together!
[​IMG] Cool Combat
Most enemies have a trick or two up their sleeves, so you have to dodge, dance around and pick your
moments to strike in a fight rather than just right-click them and hope for the best.

-Screenshots-

Leave a comment and rating if you like it! :)

[​IMG]
Contents

-Warden- 42 (Campaign)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
After over a year of updates, Warden has risen to be one of the most unique and high quality campaign out there. Hack n' slash + puzzles + a new story is a recipe for success. Moderator rating bumped from 4/5 to 5/5.
  1. Shanghai

Shanghai

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Again awesome terrrain +5

2. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot!
    Did you check the campaign containing all the maps, plus the introduction and the WIP map?
    I'd love your opinion on the gameplay too! :)

3. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hehe, thanks! :)

4. Shanghai

Shanghai

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i willl test this later when i have more time. to feel the game more.

5. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds good! :)

6. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Tagged below is the map review for Warden campaign, although I only managed to play Solem's Temple, this much of content is respectable.

Review

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016
  7. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you liked the terrain, but to be honest, I think Solen's sanctuary have the worst terrain so far. :D
    Many people say that it is a little bit hard. Perhaps I should try to make it a bit easier.
    The ghoul being invulnerable will be updated so that you can see that he becomes invulnerable, so the player won't think it is a bug or something. Also, more special ability enemies are coming up in later maps!

Thanks for the review! :D

8. Fruit Forest

Fruit Forest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [Review Exchange Event][25.12.2016]
    • Introduction
      Of course I'm glad there are WC3 fans who still devoted to the game and they are making the projects with unusual gameplay mechanic.
      The "Warden" is one of them. The feature of the game is button control. The controlling of the hero is on good level. Looks like the author knew new players will have a problem with it, so it made the control to be the most convenient for this subgenre of RPG. However, in some cases the controlling may "betray" you by doing very short delays, but it's WC3, dear ones, here you should close eyes on a some problems. To be honest I wanted to compare this project with something similar in the WC3 field, but I didn't find it. So this review will hard for me to write it.
    • Gameplay
      First time It was unusual for me to keep the right hand on the arrow buttons, but I adapted already.
      That is surprising me is moving on diagonal direction, but it seems the hero moves faster while moving that way. I used this bug or feature in the boss battles. The hero has 4 skills, each of them is useful in all cases, but during the process I had one tactic: waiting for stun cooldown and start attacking then. It is worth to mention there are variety types of enemies which requires the special way to eliminate, I really like it feature, it makes the battles quite dynamic.
      You can also pick power ups which improve your health, attack power or health regeneration, but the campaign doesn't save your progress. It's very disappointing: I always is looking for power bonuses during proceeding any campaign to challenge the boss of the campaign to show it the true power. Also I'd like to see more bonuses like Stun duration increasing or movement speed boost, or The Dash cooldown decreasing.
      The boss battles are dynamic, it looks like playing on a piano. However no markers here to show what boss is going to do, that leads me to the Save/Load queue.
      The tutorial is enough satisfactory to involve into the game.
      Also I mentioned next disadvantages:
      - Hit box of certain enemies are quite small. Even hero's animation shows that you blade touched the enemy body, but you doesn't deal any damage.
      - Hit detect. Auto attack here is spamming [Q]. You tried to attack enemy thinking you are dealing damage, but it's not. I prefer there must be a sign to show me that my attacks are hit the target.
    • Aesthetic
      All levels are atmospheric. You have no feelings about the decorations are the same. You really believe that a snow map, for example, is actually a snow map with natural looking. Talking about the map loading screen i think the picture is descended (the night elf's feet are cut). I don't know was it intentional or not. Also problem - terrain doesn't have shadows (use calculate shadows or move to your friend with a better computer to calculate it.)
    • The story/Plot
      It doesn't exist here. Or at least while seeing the campaign screen menu all chapter called "Side Quest Map". I have two variants: either the author wants to make an endless sandbox with new levels without any story links or it prepares a set of "Story Mode" maps. I thought I will play as Maiev, but then I realized she went into the Burning Crusade add-on to up her level from 10 to 71. Looks like the author wanted to show us the story about one injured warden in the "Illiden" prison, but then decided to make that we have now.
    • Spelling / Grammar
      No issues here.
    • Bugs
      While playing some chapters I found some bugs:
      While start the Solen's Tomb I wanted to turn the energy scale on, but black screen filter appeared.
      The puzzle with colored platform in the Solen's Tomb: I finished the stage 1, but stage 2 is getting bugged. I couldn't see some platforms and some of positions has a few platforms.
      Rune of Healing: The game message said it must restore 50% of max health, but it seems it restore 50% of current health. Something is laying.
      While clicking the Warden in Bonechiller's Barrrow I'm hearing a voice of creep NPC.
      Saving time is increasing significantly during the walkthrough (maybe it's just for me).
    • Suggestions (it's not compulsory):
      Let the Invisible rune to appear after the hero interacts the switch in the Solen's Tomb after Ziggurat event.
      The hit detect and hit box size problems are mentioned above.
      The shadow calculation is mentioned above.
      Do something with the saving player's progress with new power ups.
      Marking boss abilities to show player what to do.
    • I give it 4.5 / 5 It's a good project to kill the time with a good potential. I marked not because of original gameplay (you can remove the button system and nothing changed except you can't pass some places). It's good dynamic RPG, the author contributed a lot of energy into it. It's sad you can't save your progress, and it contains some insignificant bugs. Plus I'd like to see more battle abilities for Warden (like Frontal Fan of Knives which slows the hero after the using within a short time) and the actual story plot.

9. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, actually the diagonal bug is actually left there intentionally, because if I removed it, it felt supersloppy and irritating. So yeah, if you discover that, you have a small advantage. ;)
    All powerups will be permanent once the actual storyline comes out. Then you will keep the bonuses from one map to antoher, like in the Rexxar campaign. Bonus to abilities has already been created, and will be implemented in future version.
    Good that you reminded me! I think I will try to increase the hit box of most enemies soon.
    A floating text has been created for the latest version. This will be implemented in all maps soon.

-The loading screen is intended to be like it is.
    -I will see what calculate shadows do. I tried it once before and it became quite ugly, so I haven't tried it since.
    -The story is not quite finished, but it will play out before Maiev was the Warden of the prison. This story is about her former leader. Maiev might make a special appearance in this story. :)

All your suggestions are good, and will probably be added. I just didn't understand this one: "Marking boss abilities to show player what to do."
    Like a floating text from the boss when an ability is coming up?

Thanks a lot for your time and the rating! :)

10. Fruit Forest

Fruit Forest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No. For example in my project you see hit zone of ability so you can react on it. (you can add it as ability and call it for example Warden's Foresight that allows you to see hit zone of ability withint a short time). Like I said it's not compulsory.

11. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, I see!
    That seems tricky to do, but I sure will if I find the time, and if it can be made in a good way. :)

12. bear_369

bear_369

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Rufus
    I've played some of your maps in your campaign. (I've only finished 1 map, couldn't able to finish Bonechiller Burrow because of text puzzle, and couldn't finish Forest Temple because of the bug). Here's my thought about the game.
    • I like how most of the characters in the backstory were perfectly named except for Illidan sinces he named 'Illadan' But that doesnt matter.
    • The gameplay is great. Focusing only on the warden as trying to solve the dungeon's puzzles to win the game.
    • Some people, including me, may be confused by the healing item's gametext as they said that it will heal 50% of the maximum health but actually heals 50% of the current health. Maybe suggesting to change the gametext?
    • Some enemy units(and the bosses) have a different type of attack pattern. Which is I actually liked.
    • The terrain looks great and the enviroments are well-placed for dungeon-like area.
    • Forest Temple has a bug where you couldn't able to see your warden after entering the stump's hole.
    • In Bonechiller Burrow, you can attack the enemies through the gate. Which I assume it's a bug.
    Overall, this game is fun to play and really original and unique from the rest of the puzzle-type games. Rating this to 5/5!

13. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This will be fixed. :)
    Oh! I will look into this!
    Sure soundsl ike it. I'll check it out.

Really glad you liked it!
    Thanks for the review and the rating. :)

14. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The idea is great and implementation flawless! But it can be improved as there is almost no sense of progression, maybe add a customizable talent tree, nothing too out of the way, as I see how the Warden's abilities directly affect how the map works, but you could perhaps add some small modifications to her base kit, here are some ideas:

For Q
    Talent 1 - Launches a projectile that travels a short range and deals less damage than the normal attack
    Talent 2 - Gives a chance that the attack will heal the Warden, according to the amount of enemies hit. The number of targets hit may increase the heal itself or the proc chance
    Talent 3 - If more than 1 enemy is hit, there is a small chance that some of them will get stunned, this may even decrease her energy a little bit every time it procs, so it wouldn't be too overpowered when used with the E ability

For W
    Talent 1 - Increases movement speed for a short duration after been used
    Talent 2 - Remove slows or roots, but consumes energy
    Talent 3 - Decrease enemy attack speed if used to dodge a melee attack

For E
    Talent 1 - Decreases stun duration, but increases damage
    Talent 2 - Knockback enemies
    Talent 3 - Pull enemies
    Talent 4 - Triggers a 2nd time after a short period, this deals way less damage, stuns for way less time and costs no energy

For R
    Talent 1 - Increases timeout
    Talent 2 - Ghost orb increases energy regen if the Warden is close to it, this would add a feasible combat usage for the Recall
    Talent 3 - The Warden's health is saved when she summons the Ghost, upon recalling her health is returned to the saved value

These are only some quick thought ideas that might add to the progression feeling, if you take your time you may come with some better ones I'm sure.

I have nothing to say about the terraining, sometimes it may look weird, but I see how it is required for the puzzle aspect of the maps

Something that you might have to consider is adding a timer, or special effect, or even a sound clue, that indicates the Recall ability expiration, it is quite frustrating to press R and end up summoning another orb instead of teleporting ^^'

15. tyci

tyci

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay so I played 5 missions, didn't start the 6th one as its WIP. Overrall I am really impressed by how much work you put into this. All of these maps have really creative puzzles and sometimes even irritably so :D It's nice that you walk around using the movement keys instead of the mouse, makes the game feel more like Zelda than Warcraft :p So here are a few of my thoughts and bugs:
    • General:
      -When you are walking and press Z or X to enter your stats and then leave (the stats menu) the Warden continues on walking afterwards without an animation and without end.
      -Sometimes the NPCs dont react and let you just kill them.
      -The hitbox of the Warden could be a bit bigger.
      -Very nice terraining :D
      -And fix the Rune of Health textbox (50% of current not maximum)
      -The combat gets a bit repetetive after some time (I think one more combat skill would be nice)
    • First Mission:
      -Loved the desert area outside the temple
      -When you turn on mana to be visible it crashes the map (its either black screen or theres no ui and you cant use any abilities)
    • Second Mission:
      -When you have to activate those Obelisks to fight the Lich I think they shouldnt be timed because it just makes you go back to where you've been already and nobody likes that xd
      -I really hated the walking over spikes with the wind blowing against you :(
      -During the Lich battle you can't really see his abilities and dodge them as they are blue/white and the terrain is blue/white so they meld together, unless that was intentional to stimulate a snowstorm maybe?
      -Nice of you to make a Necromancer in case you cant solve a puzzle ;D
    • Third Mission:
      -All nice especially the flute part ( Zelda music <3 )
    • Fourth Missions:
      -The recall ability is just such a nice idea. It's easy to make in World Edit and you can make very fun puzzles with it in the future!
      -Too many enemies here in my opinion
      -Really liked the Endless Vaults here, both the aesthetics and the puzzle, nice work
      -The timer after detonating the bomb there should stop after leaving that area, because I was walking around the Vaults thinking I have to leave them somehow, having no idea how to do it (thought that going to X 0 and Y 0 would do it XD) until the timer reached 0.
      -The intro to the last boss, the fog, it was all dark looked extremely climactic. Great work here as well, he was a bit tough to beat though.
    • Fifth Mission:
      -Okay PLEASE make the artifact fragments needed to be 6 instead of 8. I have wasted so much time looking for just 2 more of them. Leave the 8 fragments on the map, but make the player to need only 6 of them, then remove the other 2.
      -So after I gathered the artefact I went up to the obelisks activated the first one and I have no idea what to do next hahaha

16. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Answer to izaiphovias review.
    I have had those ideas mself actually, on ways to improve skills she already recieved. Later in the game, she will recieve three (maybe 4) special skills that will be used for nw puzzles and combat. She will be able to switch the R hotkey between those abilities. However, Right now I think I will be focusing on trying to add some kind of combat skill, to make encounters more interesting. I'm not sure I'm going to do this yet, but I have a few ideas.
    All your suggestions for new skill perks have been noted, andm ight be used in the future. :)

What weird terrainings were you thinking of? :)

i'll have it in mind. :)

Thanks for your thoughts!
    This is useful for sure.

Answer to Tyci's Review.
    This shall be fixed!
    I'll tinker around with those.
    I'll consider it.
    MUAHAHAHA! This will probably stay as it is... ;)

There is actually no way to outrun the timer. You can actually just stay in the same place until it reaches 0. Perhaps I should fix something here.

Good opinion! I will reduce number of enemies, and also try to make them more interesting.

Maybe. :)

There is a walkthrough, but I have to make this more clear, as a lot of people have gotten stuck here already.

Thanks a lot!
    Playing all the missions is more than I could ask for! It seems you enjoyed them mostly, so that's a good sign. :)
    This is also the first review in a long time I've recieved about the forest temple not having any bugs... :D

17. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    @Rufus
    Here is my review of Warden.

Please note that I have only played it for ~30 minutes before a gamebreaking bug stopped my progress and I didn't feel like starting again, simply because this type of gameplay is not my cup of tea.

So, yeah, here are my first Impressions:

Story/Plot: so far, the premise seems interesting to me, although I could imagine the story to be secondary in a game about puzzles and action combat. It's basicly the Illidan/Maiev storyline, so credits to doing the required research and stuff. I like how the sidequest areas are introduced, for example the scene in which the Warden crashes through the sand into the sand temple.
    However, I can't give you a detailed review on the story without finishing the game, so, yeah, no rating here.

Visual Presentation: The artstyle is very warcrafty, with mostly default models and visually open and clean terrain design. This looks pretty much as well as a campaign with mostly default resources can look. I wished there were more custom resources in this campaign, simply because its kind of a missed opportunity for an action game, but that's just me. A thing that annoyed me though was the overuse of fog and weather effects. This not only destroys all color fidelity but also made it a exhausting on the eyes to play, especially on the sand temple map. Also, I think that the camera movement and the movement of the floating text HP number could be smoother. It felt a bit juddery at times.
    Overall solid 7.5/10

Gameplay: The map is based entirely around action movement with arrow key controls. And it does it pretty much as well as WC3 allows it to. The controls feel unresponsive and sluggish, with a noticable delay on every keypress event (no blame on the mapmaker here; this is how Blizzard designed these events). For someone who is used to fast-paced action games, this might be off-putting, but after over 10 years of Warcraft, I have pretty much gotten used to it. Rufus did his best to work around the issue with the unresponsive button events by reducing the walking speed of the Warden whilst increasing the time enemies will telegraph their attacks. And this approach kind of alleviates the issue, but it also creates a little bit of frustration in that it makes the overall pacing of the game slower than it could be.
    And as much as I appreciate Warden for trying something different in its control scheme: The game would probably work better with regular mouse controls. After playing it for 30 minutes, I saw absolutely no reason why the gameplay of this campaign needs arrow controls in the first place as you got to play in birdseye perspective anyway. Other than that, I had no objections against the gameplay. Trap mechanics seemed fine, although I could sometimes avoid taking damage even if I should have been hit. The battle mechanics were solid (despite the unresponsive button-events) and I liked that the Warden would still move slowly forward even when spamming attacks. The blink mechanic was a bit unreliable though, as even the smallest enemies would block your blinking path if they got in the way. Also, there was a small design flaw in the Blink mechanic: I feel that Blink should take priority over any other action. Currently, you can not blink while you are spamming attacks or the warden is still hitting on something. As Blink is a defensive maneuver, it should take priority over attacking, instantly cancelling the animation and blinking immediately regardless of what you were doing. This is action-controls 101 and would add a lot to the responsiveness of gameplay. In my 30 minutes of playing, I couldn't find many puzzles, so I can not give you any reviews on that.
    Despite my hatred for arrow-key controls, I think I can give this a score of 6/10.

Overall execution/closing words: It's definitely one of the "check it out!" projects on Hive and is executed with a level of quality that you rarely see in WC3 these days. Very tight and consistent design. The interactive tutorial is amazing and makes this map as newbie friendly as it gets!
    However, there were several bugs in the current version that outright broke the game for me. For example, when I wanted to enable the energy bar the game never resetted the cinematic filter again and I could not keep on playing, as the screen was entirely black, forcing me to restart the map. Healing runes were also not working properly.
    Also, I feel that there could be a bit more polish in the visual presentation of the map, especially in terms of animations on the warden. I don't get what blizzard was thinking when they made these. Especially the walk animation is a desaster. A ribbon emitter on the weapon when the attack animation plays would also do wonders for visibility, imho.
    I also hated the health regen mechanic. In action games, you want tight, fast-paced action and having to wait hours to fully recover your health is super contra-productive here. Either remove the health regeneration entirely and make health only regenerate through runes or have the health regeneration kick in x seconds after taking damage at a much higher speed. Being forced to sit and wait for health to recover slowly is a pain in the ass and absolutely doesn't fit into the genre as it pointlessly drags the game out.

Final Score: 7/10

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  18. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The stry taht is currently displayed in the proejct is completely outdated. I just don't have a finished-up enough concept to replace it with yet.

From the beginning, I never wanted to import any custom material. I always liked the warcrafty look on maps, and it also keeps filesize and loading times down.

Yes. This is a very good suggestion. I will try to do this.

I'm considering to have an alternative to the campaign, where you can control the character with the mouse instead. That could be implemented as an option in the beginning of the map.
    However, a lot of puzzles revolves around the use of arrowkeys, so implementing normal click-to move control will mess up at least a few puzzles and fights.

I actually just created a function exactly like this. After 10 seconds of no combat, you'll start regaining health rapidly. I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea. :D

Ribbon effect on the swing is not a bad idea.
    I will see if perhaps the warden animations could be made better.

Also, I will look into those bugs and fix them.

Thanks for the super-useful review! :)

19. Heaven Editor

Heaven Editor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is the Grand Review Exchange.
    Currently at Solen's Sanctuary.

Gameplay
    New gameplay. Awesome! I love this warden game from the beginning. Smooth control. Smooth game. This is a great puzzle adventure map. Starting to play at the desert makes me wonder about the story. It is a good start. But, I wonder why there are bugs in the desert, with eggs (no mother?), allied with fire that kills forest. Eh? Maybe there is a story there. I will continue playing it. I wish I could get my warden to upgrade over the journey. I cannot see anything that would make my character becoming badass. I hope I can perform new skill after killing the boss or found secret. Anything that makes me explore the area. Yes, I am hoping the game would be longer for a single area (chapter).

In summary, please expand the character and size of a chapter. <3 5/5

Aesthatic
    Weird combination of enemy being ally. Maybe desert should fill with scorpion rather than bug? Burning skeleton mage would be good in flaming red. Necromancer replace with mummy. But, I don't know. Environment looks nice with the proper enemy. I cannot see boss Solen life. Is it because of my setting? Everything else are beautiful and well organized for me.

In summary, looking good. 4/5

Bugs
    Weird. I got fatal error when traversing to the next chapter.

In summary, not very critical as I can restart wc3 and play another 1. But my character progression and achievement are gone... 4/5

In conclusion, awesome map makes me want to continue my journey and adding more review! Total of 13/15.

20. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Glad you enjoyed it!

It is Scarabs, I thought they would fit the desert theme. :) A mother might be an idea for another mini-boss or something. Maybe. I might replace them with scorpions. Maybe.
    I think I will add more powerups to all levels, to make the character power grow faster. I will also add new ocmbat skills somehow.
    What do you mean by "enemy being ally"?
    Solen's Life is disabled becuase it is visible in the top-riht cornor. Perhaps both should be enabled?
    Character Progression doesn't exist yet. It will soon though, as the first mission is in making, which will tie together Solen's Sanctuary, Bonechiller Burrow and Forest Temple, like in a Rexxar map.

Thanks a lot for the review and rating! :)