• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft Movie Finishes Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture84288.png

"Warcraft hits theaters on March 11, 2016, but the movie is not "done" yet. Principal photography is just one stage in the movie-making process. The film will still requires post-production work, which for a fantasy-heavy movie like Warcraft, is expected to be significant. Award-winning Star Wars effects studio Industrial Light & Magic is leading post-production efforts, helping bring the Orcs to life.

Legendary and Blizzard are keeping details about the Warcraft movie largely under wraps. No trailers for the movie have been released, and all we've seen so far is one image from the set. The story focuses on the origins of the battle between Orcs and Humans, and we might get to finally see the movie in action at Comic-Con in July. The movie will be a mix of live-action and CG, with an overall goal of coming across as "Avatar meets Game of Thrones."

According to Legendary Pictures producer Thomas Tull, the Warcraft movie is not just for fans of the game. It will have "big, universal themes" that should appeal to a broader audience, he says. The next expansion for World of Warcraft is Warlords of Draenor, which will be available later this year on PC."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/warcraft-movie-finishes-shooting/1100-6419844/

160036-albums4747-picture84289.jpg

I truly hope they don't go with the American shake 'n' bake approach for this movie, but actually cook up an intriguing plot.
However seeing how they made the Diablo 3 and SC2 plots my hopes are quite low.
Appealing to "the broader audience" rings a off bell key in my ears. That usually means a paper thin plot and an annoying character as the main one in Transformers, the bi-role in Die Hard 4.0, Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars and so on.

I truly hope they don't go with the American shake 'n' bake approach for this movie, but actually cook up an intriguing plot.
However seeing how they made the Diablo 3 and SC2 plots my hopes are quite low.
Appealing to "the broader audience" rings a off bell key in my ears. That usually means a paper thin plot and an annoying character as the main one in Transformers, the bi-role in Die Hard 4.0, Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars and so on.

I kind of agree. Though "Avatar meets Game of Thrones" sounds promising. I have yet to see what they're up to, because their cinematics (World of Warcraft, Diablo and pre-rendered StarCraft II) are amazing, this is why sometimes the YouTube comment sections in their videos are like "Blizzard stop making games and create movies".

WarCraft world is so rich that it could be comparable to Tolkien's material. Don't bash me, this is my personal opinion.
I am eager to see the visualization of Naga though, I think the scenes can be really epic. Now it will be humans vs. orcs = boring and all of the reviews will compare it to Lord of the Rings.

However, I am not sure I like human actors for this sequel - the production was in fact delayed so much, because they did not know how much of CG it would be and how much of real-life objects (characters included).

WarCraft world is so rich that it could be comparable to Tolkien's material. Don't bash me, this is my personal opinion.
You're not the only one.
the production was in fact delayed so much, because they did not know how much of CG it would be and how much of real-life objects (characters included).
I would have personally put real life characters (warcraft characters) and some CGI mainly for locations and hyper fantasy locations. I'm sure some locations could be represented by real life locations.
Edit: Did I miss some other infos regarding it?!?

I kind of agree. Though "Avatar meets Game of Thrones" sounds promising. I have yet to see what they're up to, because their cinematics (World of Warcraft, Diablo and pre-rendered StarCraft II) are amazing, this is why sometimes the YouTube comment sections in their videos are like "Blizzard stop making games and create movies".

I didn't like Avatar personally, but that is beside the point.
"Avatar meets Game of Thrones". Yeah okay it sounds alright. But anyone can say their next movie is on pair with X other hit movie. I don't give much for such statements. It's advertizing, nothing more. Like to show a trailer with the only two guns fights in a 3 hour long movie. We have no idea if what we see is actually what we will get.
And while Blizzard tends to have their cinematics spot on, they have "recently" shown us they can't brew together an intriguing and memorable story.

I am eager to see the visualization of Naga though, I think the scenes can be really epic. Now it will be humans vs. orcs = boring and all of the reviews will compare it to Lord of the Rings.

I agree. The Warcraft lore is so big and well done that they have material to make the craziest HBO series seen to date.
And I also agree that another Orcs vs. Humans could make "the broader audience" compare it to LotR.
However those who will see the Warcraft movie first of all, will most likely be familiar with the Warcraft universe and can distance LotR.
The problems start with the aim for that broad audience (which I assume is people not familiar with the Warcraft lore, because apparently 9mil WoW players (atm.) are not enough). That's where they will hit the LotR wall. Guesses.

However, I am not sure I like human actors for this sequel - the production was in fact delayed so much, because they did not know how much of CG it would be and how much of real-life objects (characters included).

I don't really know about this. Didn't the 300 movie do exactly this? I think that turned out very well.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Warcraft was always a game targetting a broad audience. I don't see why a movie targetting the same broad audience should be a bad thing. I appreciate it. Seriously, I just hate movies that are only made to appeal to nerds. There's no reason why lore backgrounds should not be explained to the general audience.
I absolutely hated how some stuff in the Harry Potter movies never got explained to the audience that never read the damn books. Because the books were fucking annoying. J.K. Rowling created a great fantasy world with some cool ideas and great lore to it, but she is such a terrible, terrible writer. I've never read so dumb dialogues in my life.

That being said, I couldn't be more excited about this movie. As long it's not Michael Bay, nothing can go wrong with such a strong franchise.

I just hope there will be a mass effect movie sometime. It's probably the story that deserves a movie the most.

(It is pure CG right?)

Nope, here is a pic of some members of the cast:
warcraft-movie-screenshot-1.png

As long it's not Michael Bay, nothing can go wrong with such a strong franchise.

I can see you don't like him, but personally I really like his work. I think Transformers were really well-made and I normally don't like Sci-Fi, but his direction made it very realistic.

I don't really know about this. Didn't the 300 movie do exactly this? I think that turned out very well.

I think it will be more like Avatar or Lord of the Rings, CG-wise, than 300. The 300 was a good production, but for example, it has a static orangy tone throughout the whole movie, which gives a nice touch in certain scenes (and an authentic definition in the movie), but it's as if they used it to hide color flaws.

This is the thing though, having enough movies to compare this to is already enough to question originality. I'm really trusting Blizzard in this though, I am quite certain they will do their best to attract broader audiences and I can already foresee the company's salary rates. From a quick look at their rates, two of the most well-payed jobs are Senior Software Engineers and Senior Cinematic Artist. I am not involved in Economics in any way, but that's pretty straightforward I believe - they are investing a lot in the presentation of their products in the highest quality possible (and it is an obvious move to regroup long gone players and new ones alike).

This is the thing though, having enough movies to compare this to is already enough to question originality. I'm really trusting Blizzard in this though, I am quite certain they will do their best to attract broader audiences and I can already foresee the company's salary rates. From a quick look at their rates, two of the most well-payed jobs are Senior Software Engineers and Senior Cinematic Artist. I am not involved in Economics in any way, but that's pretty straightforward I believe - they are investing a lot in the presentation of their products in the highest quality possible (and it is an obvious move to regroup long gone players and new ones alike).

If we look purely at the production quality of the movie I think it's quite safe to say that it will will blow our minds.
If there is one thing Blizzard does right (or the company they are hiring), it's that the cinematic quality is top notch.
What I am more concerned about is the plot, which I also stated before.
I really hope they have hired some competente story writers. In my optic that is what makes the movie raise or fall.

Oh yeah. If Michael Bay is directing I'm not gonna pay a penny for the movie. He has destroyed enough franchises already.
And right now he is dissecting the Turtles franchise. A shame, a really big shame.

This movie is gonna be a huge disappointment to those who were in the era of War1, War2, War3. This movie is gonna be heavily inspired by World of WarCraft. The first three games of Warcraft Universe were very true to the concept and idea of a mystery, dark ages and gore. World of Warcraft squished the lore so that it could fit in one video game and a multi-million-on-line-role-playing-game. Much of the concept and a mystery is gone from Warcraft Universe. You now know everything, the plot spoilers and revealer's. There is no need to write books anymore, you can find everything in one-single video game. Back in those days, Warcraft was not spoiled so much, It had so much plot holes and mysteries on- what did drive orc's into the kingdom of Azeroth? Why are they here, and who are these creatures? The problem is that Warcraft lost a very special feeling that most video games nowadays tend to loose. Diablo III was a complete failure-- because the artists were from WoW. It was the artists and the designers from original Diablo 1, Diablo 2 games that created a concept. They were the only ones that could continue making that kind of feeling and concept. The new team that came after Blizzard North was fired completely re-created the game and invented a new concept for it in terms of art / design, gameplay.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Zwiebelchen said:
absolutely hated how some stuff in the Harry Potter movies never got explained to the audience that never read the damn books. Because the books were fucking annoying. J.K. Rowling created a great fantasy world with some cool ideas and great lore to it, but she is such a terrible, terrible writer. I've never read so dumb dialogues in my life.
I agree on the movies part—I liked movie 1 and 2 and from there they went downhill—, but the books? Noooo ='( why would you say that?
March 11, 2016
Goddamnit that is too damn long. wow.
2nd ;\

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Meh, people wanted something set after the strategy games, but figures they wouldn't do that, as they don't* want to compromise with deciding whether or not World of Warcraft's lore is valid.
I'm still imagining that the last WoW expansion they're going to invent something to take time backwards.

Last edited:
Meh, people wanted something set after the strategy games, but figures they wouldn't do that, as they want to compromise with deciding whether or not World of Warcraft's lore is valid.
I'm still imagining that the last WoW expansion they're going to invent something to take time backwards.

Warcraft Movie has been under a lot of revision and production started from nothing most of the time. I am thinking that they originally planned War Movie to be based on World of Warcraft Alliance & Horde struggle, later a revision happened that changed with certain directors and a new storyline, this time they are going with RTS Strategy Game storyline starting with Warcraft: Orcs And Humans RTS Game. Since the movie now has been finished shooting, they are adding certain filters, effects, 3D characters/ CGI environments and furnishing it to be of the best quality.

Why are you all being so sad? Warcraft movie has a high amount of chance to have sequels and parts. The first part would be about the first war between Orc's and Humans, the second part about Tides of Darkness and Beyond The Dark Portal. The third part about the third war and the invasion of the Burning Legion. It will mostly be like LoTR series..

Are Blizzard even that involved? And even if they are, looking at Blizzard's track record during the 21st century doesn't paint a bright picture whatsoever.

Chris Metzen is involved in the screenplay and story. I'm pretty sure they'll be involved. After all, they don't want it to reflect poorly on the series (The Last Airbender: chief example. Fortunately, since the creators weren't involved, most people just agree that The Last Airbender movie never existed.)

As for your statement, 21st century includes wc3. :p

Anyway, I have some faith that it could be decent. I hope they aren't too ambitious to cover too much. Thankfully, they have a decent director (Duncan Jones). It would've been awful with Sam Raimi.

It is encouraging that Medivh will play a role. Out of all the Warcraft characters, his story is one of the most interesting.

As for potential sequels, IMO they would have to split it up for it to be good, which is probably why they chose to do an earlier story. At the moment, whether or not they'll have sequels will depend on the success of this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.