• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Books or movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Which do you like more...books or movies? This thread isn't intended to judge books that get turned into movies, just books/movies individually.

I prefer books because there's a lot more variety. Generally in movies I notice that the story can become non-linear (I guess the same can be said for books..) and that dialog tends to over-throw the actual action (which is the point of a movie).

Level 34
I prefer to watch movies, however books are usually much better than their movie counterparts, so it's a bit of an oxymoron.

Level 24
You can't really compare the two. Books and movies can give the exact same details in completely opposite ways.

Level 7
I like movies best. I can hardly imagine what is going on, In the movies it's all done for me, and is way more entertaining because you get to see the cool stuff. (What if they were climbing a volcano and you've never seen one? Why bother take the time to go ask,or look up a picture, I just want to read a book) And if you are reading something like Eregon It's a great story, i liked it, but i didn't know what the words meant, you don't have to worry about that in movies. And besides i love horror, being scared is the funnest thing. Books are not scary. It gets really hard to picture whats going on, and finding ways to visualize it scary, in movies, there walking, and play and organ, then something happens. I can't do the walking AND Oregon in my mind. I say movies all the way.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, books are much more detailed, the writer can put all his things there. As for the movies, they don't have lots of details, but actually you can see the guys talking the actions and etc. Movies are best to watch and to entertainement, but books have more things, like characters, stories and places that don't show up in movies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Books cuz i can read them in bed
Uhh, Laptops and/or Portable DVD Players? :p

That being said, Books. I love movies, and how they visually depict really cool stuff... But nothing beats books. It only requires your eyes (no electricity needed :p), the number of books is nigh-limitless, they can provide multiple enjoyments (movies can too, meh)... Books, definitely. The stories they contain are nearly always more in-depth and interesting than in movies (the thought-processes of characters and stuff).

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Fantasy > LotR > Battle of Pellenor Fields:

Movie: 20.000 orcs, 10.000 Gondoryans and 6.000 knights of Rohan clashing into an looooong battle. Amazing effects, action and epicness.

Book: "And so the battle began... thousands of units clashing in the battlefield...
Just words... No sound, no images, no action and epicness, but more details.

Level 4
I like books but movies are awesome. But i dont like some movies. Like some of those lame computer graphics movies like shrek, and if my friends watch it then they go like "Awesome movie. Totally epic man!". But again books are longer and u can read them quietly without ppl annoying u in msn. So i think it's a draw.

But the uhh things what are 20-40 minutes long and there's like seasons own them all. Espessialy Black Books.

Level 6
I am quite picky with fictional books. The last two I read for fun was The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I Am Legend, and I read I am Legend a year before the 3rd Movie adaptation came out. Between those two books, I've probably been forced to read about half a dozen books for one reason or another. I liked THHGG because it was cleverly funny, and I probably ended up re-reading about a fifth of all the pages because of that. I enjoyed I Am Legend the book because it was not too long and horrifically detailed, but it had focus on a good plot.

With that aside, I prefer movies in general for several reasons. One, I am not imaginative enough for books. I can tell fully what is going on in a movie (The Godfather aside, I get a bit lost there) whereas in a book I can struggle to do just that. Two, movies are easier to get right whereas with books it is much easier to go wrong. And three, movies spend less time and get to the point.

There is no doubt a good book beats a good movie, but then an average movie beats an average book.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Like some of those lame computer graphics movies like shrek...they go like "Awesome movie. Totally epic man!".
? Shrek wasn't epic. It was funny, though.

There is no doubt a good book beats a good movie, but then an average movie beats an average book.
I think that's an important distinction to make. Perhaps the question we should be asking.

Level 26
There's a bit of both. There are many elements of books that are simply better left to your imagination, and there are many elements that you really have to see to truly feel. There are plots that are far too complex to be encompassed as a movie, and just as many that would be far too simplistic or boring to be written as a book. It really comes down to what you want to make.

Level 15
I'd prefer books to movies, mainly because movies based on books tend to twist the way you originally thought of the book. For example, i can't read Harry Potter anymore without thinking of the characters from the movies, and in my opinion, my perception of the book was better than that of the movie, so it kind of ruins it for me.

Level 10
Books are superior to movies for quite a few reasons:

1: They don't suck
2: They make sense more than half the time
3: They last a lot longer than movies relatively speaking(Shakespeare)
4: You can remember the name of a book easier than of a movie that is like hundreds of other movies.
5: You can hit people with them and they won't break

Nuff said Books for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.