1. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by terradont, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Obviously, there are few movies that can be described as original. But, like you said, it's unoriginal to the point where it's cheesy. No matter how much influence a work derives from other works, I should not be able to predict the plot in the first 30 minutes of the movie. And I did. Anyone who has ever watched Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai can testify to this.
    I agree.
    These words are stock words that every dime-a-dozen science fiction writer has used to death, but I don't really care about that.
    The CGI is definitely awesome.
    Then you were either asleep or insane. It's not just this work; we draw comparisons from works to things pertaining to our lifestyle all the time. It's especially obvious in this movie because James Cameron has absolutely no sense of subtlety.

Let's say Stephanie Meyer writes a new book, and in this book, the focus shifts from Bella to Jacob and Edward. The two start getting closer and closer together until they finally fall in love. Jacob and Edward then talk to Bella, who accepts their relationship and the three rally in support of "Supernatural Creature Marriage".

THIS IS HOW SUBTLE AVATAR IS.

If Stephanie Meyer isn't a crazy Mormon bitch, you would say that this new book on the Twilight series is obviously an allegory for gay marriage. It's the same thing. Avatar takes every history lesson about Amerindians and the environment and compacts it all into one big hippie bonanza.
    Why would anyone criticize the budget of this film? It's selling like hotcakes. As a businessman, James Cameron is the shit.
    I think it's an okay movie, and that's about it. Go watch it if you really like CGI, but otherwise, it's not a very memorable experience. Not something that we'll remember in a few years anyways.

2. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ah yeah I forgot about The Last Samurai (heard someone mention it somewhere as well). I just wanted to add, that, to be honest, it is enough to see the trailer for this movie if you want to know how the plot is. Adding and figure that 1+1 = 2 after that when watching was pretty easy. But it is true, some are noticing those stuff more easily than others. I for once didnt:p I guess it is because I never seen Dancing with wolves and isnt remembering The last samurai that much.[potentially offtopic further->] But well for a director, what is a good movie? Its just like gaming companies and games - what makes a good game a good game?
    Obviously the first answer is money. A piece of work who is suppose to give a good income to the company but doesnt isnt a good game. Something must have gone wrong here...
    The second money is marketing. A piece of work who has been doing alot of good and appealing marketing is a good game. Take for instance Blizzard. They have well trained marketing business people, and that is one of the reasons wow has become successful.
    So well, what makes this a good movie? Despite what we discussed earlier this has become a good movie, obviously due to their income and rating already. Cameron and their team (whoever everybody is) put a huge amount of effort in marketing as well, additionally about 100mill$ was spend out over the budget on marketing.
    But meh I guess I went alitte far here.

:p You see stuff like that very commonly in movies these days (with exceptions). But meh:p I wasnt asleep nor insane and I agree with you. Since I saw it twice, I already knew about the politic criticism before I saw it the second time. But I did not even think of it there either. So my point was with the statement was you dont need to give a crap about its message, because you can enjoy it as a sci-fi movie anyway, stereotypic or not.

Silly me didnt see this when I started to add the marketing thing in the first quote reply. But agreed.

Cameron did say however, if this movie is successful there will come both Avatar 2 and 3. I do think we will remember this movie but I guess that differs from ones opinions to another. I'll remember it for sure, and I am already longing for the bluray release (yep that is me, lol). And yeah, I think there will follow-ups and cant almost not wait for them (although I suspect these will make it worse, but what do I know yet)

3. Lmao.Me

Lmao.Me

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gotta love D-9 :))

4. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is among the best movies I've ever seen. I got to watch it in 3d IMAX, and hopefully will see it again tomorrow or the day after! The prime accomplishment of this movie is that it redefined CGI. There's a little bit of everything a movie should have in this movie, so anyone can see it and enjoy it. If you haven't seen Avatar yet, watch it asap. If you don't like it... keep quiet unless someone forces you to watch it again.

As for this movie "not being original"... if you can think of it; SOMEBODY HAS ALREADY TRIED TO DO IT.

Rating: 20/10
    //\\^^//\\

5. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    As a information: MySpaceBarBroke whines about everything, hes one of those guys who thinks everything is shit beside himself... just as a side note, so you can ignore him I think, he does not even bring logical and halfway intelligent arguments.

I watched Avatar too, it is surely the greatest movie of this year...

For everyone who thinks the plot is predictable... show me a good fantasy/sci-fi movie where the story is NOT predictable... it is one of the basics of fantasy that it is halfway predictable, and for my part, the story was awesome, same for the action and the all-around package of this movie.

6. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Before you all get caught up in the plot, how many of you were truly walking into that movie expecting some intricate plot to entice you completely? Most of you went in their because you saw some of the effects and such in the trailer and thought, man, that looks awesome.

-Yeah about politics, the movie makes no connection between any country and what was going on, instead of specifically targeting any single act it seems more of a general statement on greed (like the thought that since I have better weapons, I can take what I want - something exercised by the U.S. taking land from the Indians, the Spanish from many Latin American countries, the Vikings from the Europeans, the Mongolians from the Asians and Europeans, etc. etc. )

7. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Agreed, glad both you and Redscores is on my side:p The politics sounds indeed very global and general, even the tv channel reviewer here told it fit even to the climate changes occuring now. I could also add that the plot isn't truly identical as anything else if seen in its kind, because of the scientific aspect of it. How often have you seen something like the Avatar: a hybrid between a human and something else? And i'd say it again. Meh, meh, and meh, for everyone who saw this identical as something before:p

Actually, I didn't know anything about the effects when I was determined to see it. I was asked my a friend that a couple of us should go and see it, and I thought why not? Then after some days we decided to go to the 3D one instead, and I am glad I did it.

And this may sound crazy, but I am going to watch it again in the 3dcinema for the third time. Why? Because I think it is awesome, and because I am crazy.

8. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Nothing seems wrong with going to see it in 3d if you've seen it normally, I saw it regular and thought it was pretty impressive without 3d, I didn't really notice many parts that seemed to only serve the purpose of using 3d so it must have been used well for it to not constantly remind you that you aren't seeing the 3d version in the normal version (wow, used 3d 4 times in one long, run on sentence).

9. Crazy Cow

Crazy Cow

Resources:
    Resources:
    The plot was dissapointingly predictable, but the graphics were the best ever. With a 3D expireince, it's like you are right there. The origional concepts for the animals and the whole bonding thing were pretty cool, and I instantly fell in love with those banshee critters. All in all, go see the movie for the stunning visuals, but if your friend sais his favorite part was the plot then s/he is lying.

10. Yabooer

Yabooer

Resources:
    Resources:
    To say the least all movies are predictable.

I mean really when is the last time you saw something unpredictable (Besides that one crazy guy who made "The mist" and even that was just terrible lol).

But in all honesty great movie and on a side note for people who didn't know this IS a trilogy and will have 2 more movies coming up for it for you fans of course [High-Five].

I think this might be the only movie that will come close in comparison to Starwars and even then it is still pretty far.

Just my 2 cents of course.

11. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, not all movies are predictable. At least not as predictable as Avatar. And definitely not as cliched.

I'm going to say what I said before: you should not be able to predict the entire plot of an almost 3 hour film from the first 30 minutes. You should not be able to predict the plot from the first half, nonetheless the introduction. Again, anyone who has ever watched The Last Samurai knows what's going to inevitably happen. Anyone who has ever watched Captain Planet knows who the bad guys are from their lack of personality and emotion. Just about every character in the movie is a cliche.

There's no precedent for Forrest Gump. There's no precedent for The Departed. Fuck, You Don't Mess With the Zohan is slightly less predictable than Avatar.

And for the record, when I say "This line is crooked as hell", no retard is going to say "Well, when you think about it, no one can make a perfectly straight line." This remark transcends pointlessness. I should not have to explain to this hypothetical retard friend that I meant "Well, this line is significantly less straight than other lines."

In the same way, when I say "This movie is predictable"', an argument like "Well, just about all movies are predictable" isn't exactly going to cut it, is it?

12. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Indeed.
    He brings fullway intelligent arguments.

Uh... A large part of the quality of a story depends on whether or not it is predictable/cliche. You wouldn't want to sit through a movie knowing exactly everything that is going to happen. Most of the fun of watching movies and reading stories is due to the progressive unveiling of mysteries. Naturally then, if a movie/book is good, its plot is probably not predictable. So your task is retarded.

Clearly, to write an unpredictable, mysterious and enchanting tale would be preposterous!

A much more sensible point. Discussing the plot is necessary though for those who actually expect 'good' movies to have good stories.

13. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wrong. I think I am shit too.
    This person doesn't like stuff. Therefore, his opinions are invalid. QED.
    Yeah, maybe. Either that or they exist in plain English and you're just not refuting them.
    Yeah, but I'm seeing some serious competition from Dragonball Evolution. The two films have about as much depth.
    Covered in my other post. Not that you actually read them or anything.
    And of course, I'm a retard because I disagree.

Note that I haven't ever said Avatar is a bad movie. I just pointed out that a) I don't like it, b) It has absolutely no depth and c) It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. You apparently can't handle the fact that I don't put Avatar on a stone pedestal and worship it like it's the next fucking messiah. Whatever.

14. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Let say that the plot is a cliche, but it is the way it is told that makes it better?

15. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Not everything has to be some great mystery, that is why Mystery itself is it's own genre. Avatar could be classified as Action, Adventure and possibly Thriller but not Mystery or Drama or some other genre that you were expecting a huge deep plot. Yes the story was a cliche, a huge cliche but was anyone really expecting the plot to be anything special?

No one was worshiping it, and no one was arguing that it had a good plot. Absolutely no one can argue that the movie was perfect, but that doesn't mean you can't like it, and that also doesn't mean that everyone's baffled that your cynical.

16. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    MSBB is one of those people who would read all the Harry Potter books, then say all the movies suck because they are predictable.

This movie is WTF awesome. Yes it is somewhat hippyish, but you must agree that the Navi culture is awesome. They have a biological internet!!! Also, you may complain that this is another green movie with a hidden point, but honestly, apparently that point hasn't been heard enough since we are still doing nothing about it.

The plot is predictable, but all of the extra added effects will amaze you. This is a movie that amazes you, not emotionally compromises you. If you want to be emotionally compromised, then see Titanic.

17. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    srry double post

18. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Dreadnought is one of those people who would read all the Harry Potter books, then say all the movies suck because they are predictable.

19. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think we are all the type of people that would read all the Harry Potter books, then complain that the movies aren't as good as the books because they are predictable

20. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    The avatar game also exists, but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's a fail XD Heres a link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.