• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
you kind of miss the fact that neither of the lord of the rings movies are in 3D, nor "real 3d"
In Avatar they use several cameras at the same time, which is then procedured and made into a 3d movie. It is simply just not an overlay on the movie itself. Now go and figure why it took so long to make and why the production cost were that high.

Level 23
The CGI and the 3D effects (even though Ive heard some positive things about the graphics on the non-3D show) did the movie better. The real reason why I liked this movie was because it is having a nice feeling. The environment and the settings, and nevertheless the soundtrack was harmonic. Especially the sound gave the movie its own footprint, and I will always remember where it is from if I listen on it (Its about the same with lord of the rings). If the movie would have a less stereotypic plot it would have been better, but as I see it, the positive > negative. And I already know those who like a plot wont want to see it anyway.

My friend said it was a good movie, and all in all agreed with some aspects of what I said. Yet again, if he would rate the movie on a scale of 1 to 10, he would give it about 6-7. On a scale to 1 to 5 he would have rated it 5. We both have seen movies which is "worse" than Avatar which have received a score 4/5.

What about the game? Is it nice? Should I buy it for PS3?

Well from the reviews, it doesn't completely suck on the same levels as other Movie games, but saying its better then other movie games isn't much of an accomplishment. I guess that depends on how much you liked the movie.

About the 3d, I saw it in without it and the thing that surprised me about that was that the quality wasn't diminished watching it normal. As Pyritie said about not flaunting the effects, you weren't constantly reminded that your not watching it in 3d in the normal version.

Level 23
it was clearly not a huge waste of money. Not yet... and I expect it to have grown with about +100million$ this weekend.
And also, Avatar is on the #3 of being the most selling movie worldwide all time. The #1 is also a James Cameron movie - Guess which one:p

Budget $237 million[2]
Gross revenue $1,131,752,464[3]

Lord of the rings: The two towers
Budget $95 million
Gross revenue $925,282,504[1]

Well you can call it what you want. We already know the plot is a cliche.
It does share the same basic plot as The Last Samurai. Well The Last Samurai shares the same basic plot as Dancing with wolves. And Dancing the wolves with Pocahontas.
I already understood you are a plotcaring person like Stefanstan95, Poot and LiOneSS. That doesn't mean the movie is bad. It's all opinions:> Just like I think it is good.

It was clearly a HUGE waste of money. And it DID NOT had Minas Tirith.

No matter what, I still think that this movie is nothing more than a digitalized version of The Last Samurai in 3D

Well, take the Last Samurai and put it in some stoners crazy drug trip and its most likely a bit closer.

it was clearly not a huge waste of money. Not yet... and I expect it to have grown with about +100million$ this weekend.
And also, Avatar is on the #3 of being the most selling movie worldwide all time. The #1 is also a James Cameron movie - Guess which one:p

Budget $237 million[2]
Gross revenue $1,131,752,464[3]

Lord of the rings: The two towers
Budget $95 million
Gross revenue $925,282,504[1]

Well you can call it what you want. We already know the plot is a cliche.
It does share the same basic plot as The Last Samurai. Well The Last Samurai shares the same basic plot as Dancing with wolves. And Dancing the wolves with Pocahontas.
I already understood you are a plotcaring person like Stefanstan95, Poot and LiOneSS. That doesn't mean the movie is bad. It's all opinions:> Just like I think it is good.

The only problem I have with this is that you seem to connecting how good a movie is with how much money it makes. Harry Potter makes tons of money, that doesn't make it a good movie - Twilight makes TONS of money (mostly from teenage girls seeing it 20 times), that definitely doesn't make it a good movie.

Level 23
Depends completely in what aspect you look at it.

Lets take for instance World of Warcraft. Is it a good game? No, not really, not in my opinion. There are tons of stuff they could have done better. But you know what, apparantly it is a good game in general, otherwise it wouldnt be played. A good game is thus by that definition a game that gets a high income for its work. And that aspect could we see in all genres, not only in the game industry.
In a consumers aspect however, this might not be the same.

I was never implying that a avatar is a good movie because of the income it has received. I replyed on the statement "It was clearly a HUGE waste of money." which is not true at all.

Lets take for instance World of Warcraft. Is it a good game? No, not really, not in my opinion. There are tons of stuff they could have done better. But you know what, apparantly it is a good game in general, otherwise it wouldnt be played. A good game is thus by that definition a game that gets a high income for its work. And that aspect could we see in all genres, not only in the game industry.
In a consumers aspect however, this might not be the same.

This is a very difficult subject to discuss, since yes good movies do get good income (normally) but then you could lump in terrible movies (once again Twilight for example). Some movies make good money because they are interesting, well executed idea, while some make movies because they have a zombie target demographic (once again, Twilight).

Level 40
Yes and no. If it wasn't a good game it wouldn't be alive, let alone the biggest game RPG around, six years later. Look at essentially all other modern releases; nobody is talking about them a few years later even though they were just as big (bigger?) media-wise when they were released.

Take Halo for example. A few years ago you may have thought Halo X (3 at the time, but 2 earlier and 1 originally) was the second coming of Christ, and yet most serious shooter players have now moved on to Call of Duty. A few years later and CoD will likely have suffered the same fate (unless they release yet another sequel or something).

However, on the other hand, do you see people dropping World of Warcraft like that? Starcraft? Warcraft III? Blizzard caught on to something with Starcraft (and more specifically Brood War) and seems to know how to reproduce it.

Level 24
District 9 > everything.
Best movie in yr 2009.

As for you faggots who claim this is the best movie ever go watch "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" and prepared to get your mind blown. Its almost a shame to find Avatar on IMDb's top 250 list.

edit:
However, on the other hand, do you see people dropping World of Warcraft like that? Starcraft? Warcraft III? Blizzard caught on to something with Starcraft (and more specifically Brood War) and seems to know how to reproduce it.
FPS shooters come and go, thats how it have always been.
The only exception is Counter Strike.

Level 6
Watched Avatar, my mom wanted to see it.

I thought it was pretty awesome, the visuals are spectacular, and the story wasn't really that disappointing either, beats my drumsticks.

Level 17
Watched Avatar, my mom wanted to see it.

I thought it was pretty awesome, the visuals are spectacular, and the story wasn't really that disappointing either, beats my drumsticks.
3070396e0beb0apoca2u.jpg

:wink:

Level 23
Huurka, that one is old. I could do the same more or less with Dancing with wolves or Atlantis. We already know it is a cliche. But claiming that it is a total ripoff is false, since the story is told differently in each case.

As for you faggots who claim this is the best movie ever go watch "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" and prepared to get your mind blown. Its almost a shame to find Avatar on IMDb's top 250 list.
I would not compare a CGI star of another genre with something that is not.

Hmmm I see a pattern emerging:
1 - Person goes and sees Avatar and comments on how awesome they thought it was
2 - Person who prefers District 9 as their CGI alien fest come in and flame
3 - Person who likes Avatar says something back and the conversation ends
4 - Go back to step 1

Saw it yesterday, but only on a regular cinema due to having special coupons that lets you watch cinema movies for free on certain cinemas (I had to use them since they would get expired soon if I didn't used them), plus I live in an island so I will not waste money to travel through mainlands and go to whatever the advanced-3d-like-cinema is called.
All I can say is no wonder people like this movie a lot. To me, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.
Though my only critique is that there are some scenes which were predictable. But still, I like this movie a lot.

Level 24
I lol'd a bit

Hmmm I see a pattern emerging:
1 - Person goes and sees Avatar and comments on how awesome they thought it was
2 - Person who prefers District 9 as their CGI alien fest come in and flame
3 - Person who likes Avatar says something back and the conversation ends
4 - Go back to step 1
TL;TR, you know how it goes...

And if he was trying to make a realistic world, those Helicopter hover thingys would never be built, barely useful at all.

Well these looked very similar to the ones in Terminator. A vehicle capable of hovering and moving in multiple axis's (not to mention moving in a direction different then the direction it is facing) while still maintaining fairly high speeds and packing large amounts of firepower would be incredibly useful (oh wait, their already are vehicles like that - as you said Helicopters)

Level 17
I haven't read this thread for a while, and I haven't read through it all carfully, but on the topic on it being predictable, I agree that it is too predictable.

I've also loved that pochahontas comparison pic since I saw it the first time. :p

But honestly, in the last few years I haven't managed to see even one movie where i couldn't predict the plot after the first 30 minutes, unless it's a completely retarded plot that doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.