• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
To say the least all movies are predictable.

I mean really when is the last time you saw something unpredictable (Besides that one crazy guy who made "The mist" and even that was just terrible lol).

But in all honesty great movie and on a side note for people who didn't know this IS a trilogy and will have 2 more movies coming up for it for you fans of course [High-Five].

I think this might be the only movie that will come close in comparison to Starwars and even then it is still pretty far.

Just my 2 cents of course.
No, not all movies are predictable. At least not as predictable as Avatar. And definitely not as cliched.

I'm going to say what I said before: you should not be able to predict the entire plot of an almost 3 hour film from the first 30 minutes. You should not be able to predict the plot from the first half, nonetheless the introduction. Again, anyone who has ever watched The Last Samurai knows what's going to inevitably happen. Anyone who has ever watched Captain Planet knows who the bad guys are from their lack of personality and emotion. Just about every character in the movie is a cliche.

There's no precedent for Forrest Gump. There's no precedent for The Departed. Fuck, You Don't Mess With the Zohan is slightly less predictable than Avatar.

And for the record, when I say "This line is crooked as hell", no retard is going to say "Well, when you think about it, no one can make a perfectly straight line." This remark transcends pointlessness. I should not have to explain to this hypothetical retard friend that I meant "Well, this line is significantly less straight than other lines."

In the same way, when I say "This movie is predictable"', an argument like "Well, just about all movies are predictable" isn't exactly going to cut it, is it?

Level 20
redscores said:
just as a side note, so you can ignore him I think, he does not even bring logical and halfway intelligent arguments.
Indeed.
He brings fullway intelligent arguments.

redscores said:
For everyone who thinks the plot is predictable... show me a good fantasy/sci-fi movie where the story is NOT predictable.
Uh... A large part of the quality of a story depends on whether or not it is predictable/cliche. You wouldn't want to sit through a movie knowing exactly everything that is going to happen. Most of the fun of watching movies and reading stories is due to the progressive unveiling of mysteries. Naturally then, if a movie/book is good, its plot is probably not predictable. So your task is retarded.

redscores said:
it is one of the basics of fantasy that it is halfway predictable
Clearly, to write an unpredictable, mysterious and enchanting tale would be preposterous!

WherewolfTherewolf said:
Before you all get caught up in the plot, how many of you were truly walking into that movie expecting some intricate plot to entice you completely? Most of you went in their because you saw some of the effects and such in the trailer and thought, man, that looks awesome.
A much more sensible point. Discussing the plot is necessary though for those who actually expect 'good' movies to have good stories.

Level 26
As a information: MySpaceBarBroke whines about everything, hes one of those guys who thinks everything is shit beside himself...
Wrong. I think I am shit too.
just as a side note, so you can ignore him I think,
This person doesn't like stuff. Therefore, his opinions are invalid. QED.
he does not even bring logical and halfway intelligent arguments.
Yeah, maybe. Either that or they exist in plain English and you're just not refuting them.
I watched Avatar too, it is surely the greatest movie of this year...
Yeah, but I'm seeing some serious competition from Dragonball Evolution. The two films have about as much depth.
For everyone who thinks the plot is predictable... show me a good fantasy/sci-fi movie where the story is NOT predictable...
Covered in my other post. Not that you actually read them or anything.
it is one of the basics of fantasy that it is halfway predictable, and for my part, the story was awesome, same for the action and the all-around package of this movie.
And of course, I'm a retard because I disagree.

Note that I haven't ever said Avatar is a bad movie. I just pointed out that a) I don't like it, b) It has absolutely no depth and c) It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. You apparently can't handle the fact that I don't put Avatar on a stone pedestal and worship it like it's the next fucking messiah. Whatever.

Not everything has to be some great mystery, that is why Mystery itself is it's own genre. Avatar could be classified as Action, Adventure and possibly Thriller but not Mystery or Drama or some other genre that you were expecting a huge deep plot. Yes the story was a cliche, a huge cliche but was anyone really expecting the plot to be anything special?

You apparently can't handle the fact that I don't put Avatar on a stone pedestal and worship it like it's the next fucking messiah

No one was worshiping it, and no one was arguing that it had a good plot. Absolutely no one can argue that the movie was perfect, but that doesn't mean you can't like it, and that also doesn't mean that everyone's baffled that your cynical.

Level 12
MSBB is one of those people who would read all the Harry Potter books, then say all the movies suck because they are predictable.

This movie is WTF awesome. Yes it is somewhat hippyish, but you must agree that the Navi culture is awesome. They have a biological internet!!! Also, you may complain that this is another green movie with a hidden point, but honestly, apparently that point hasn't been heard enough since we are still doing nothing about it.

The plot is predictable, but all of the extra added effects will amaze you. This is a movie that amazes you, not emotionally compromises you. If you want to be emotionally compromised, then see Titanic.

Level 26
Dreadnought[dA];1418841 said:
MSBB is one of those people who would read all the Harry Potter books, then say all the movies suck because they are predictable.
Note that I haven't ever said Avatar is a bad movie. I just pointed out that a) I don't like it, b) It has absolutely no depth and c) It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. You apparently can't handle the fact that I don't put Avatar on a stone pedestal and worship it like it's the next fucking messiah. Whatever.
You're a fucking retard, you know that?
This movie is WTF awesome. Yes it is somewhat hippyish, but you must agree that the Navi culture is awesome. They have a biological internet!!!
Yeah! Certainly like nothing I've ever heard from any given sci-fi or fantasy movie ever!
Also, you may complain that this is another green movie with a hidden point, but honestly, apparently that point hasn't been heard enough since we are still doing nothing about it.
The problem is not that there's a message. The problem is that there is absolutely no subtlety in showing it to you. See: Anvilicious, or, if it's too much to read, this sign:
Anvil_Sign.jpg

And this quote:
Isaav Asimov said:
This story, alas, seems to have a moral, and, in fact, ends by pounding that moral over the reader's head. That is bad. Straightforward preaching spoils the effectiveness of a story. If you can't resist the impulse to improve your fellow human beings, do it subtly.
The plot is predictable, but all of the extra added effects will amaze you. This is a movie that amazes you, not emotionally compromises you. If you want to be emotionally compromised, then see Titanic.
And I have no problem with this.

Now, I don't mind if you guys would like to personally attack me or my mother, but if you can't do so without completely ignoring every argument I've made, well, you're sort of a dumbass. You also can't see past an "Us vs. Them" fallacy, but that's another story.

You're a fucking retard, you know that?
Now, I don't mind if you guys would like to personally attack me or my mother, but if you can't do so without completely ignoring every argument I've made, well, you're sort of a dumbass

Wheres the neg rep when you need it? Really no one's been on the offensive other then you, seriously it's just a movie no need to get pissed

No one here has argued that the story is great at all, and no one can argue that the movie has a great point or was subtle. People liked the movie because it was eye candy and a great use of effects even if it wasn't completely original in concept

Level 12
MSBB feels the need to be different and hate on this great film. Let him have his moment of uniqueness I suppose.

You could not find a movie in the last 20 years that has a unique story or couldn't be compared to something else.

I personally think the plot is great. I own Dances With Wolves, Last Samurai, and (yes strangely) FernGully. They are all great movies with their own uniqueness. If anything you should be amazed at how different the movies play out even though they use the same variables (an ex soldier/soldier, a romance with a native, switch of sides, ect.)

I will agree with one thing. The lines are cheesy. That seems to be a trend with all new movies though. They are all going for a comic book feel that just feels cheesy and overdone. It's unfortunate, but the actors did deliver them well (or the CGI artists).

This may well be the first movie I buy on blu-ray. Even if you know you will hate the storyline, it's like going to see a lightshow or fireworks. Your eyes will be dazzled.

There was one really unexpected moment in the movie for me at least. When the mother walked up and said, "If you are one of us, help us". I really thought she was going to stab him... (I guess she already had earlier in the movie)

Level 26
You know I never attacked you. I respect your opinions even though I dont agree with them fully. I was just glad someone around here thought the same as I did:p
(just had to say that even though you per chance didnt mean me)
No one here has argued that the story is great at all, and no one can argue that the movie has a great point or was subtle. People liked the movie because it was eye candy and a great use of effects even if it wasn't completely original in concept
I wasn't talking about you guys. You bring perfectly valid points that I have no problem with (which I apparently have to reiterate over and over again). If you like the eye candy, by all means, watch it. If you like the action scenes, which are actually pretty good, watch it. It's just not that profound, and not that clever. Also, this:
Wheres the neg rep when you need it? Really no one's been on the offensive other then you, seriously it's just a movie no need to get pissed
This is called selective reading, and is rather common around these parts. I find it hilarious that both posts criticizing what I say feel the need to say that I hate everything. That's fine. Completely off, but hey, why not?
Dreadnought[dA];1419129 said:
MSBB feels the need to be different and hate on this great film. Let him have his moment of uniqueness I suppose.
Yes, I'm also simultaneously 12 and 45 and I live in my mother's basement.

You don't even read what I fucking post do you?

..Forget it. I tried discussing this with you, breaking what I said down into the simplest of elements, and you just ignore it because I DON'T LIKE AVATAR AND THIS MAKES ME THE ANTICHRIST. Fine. Have your shitty little circlejerk. Criticizing something means I absolutely hate it and as I type this very post, greenhouse gases permeate my skin shooting towards the atmosphere, because I'm that bad for the environment.

Level 21
just to repeat what you've said with SOOO many GOOD arguments:
The dialogue is cliched as fuck.
The plot is swiss cheese.
The protoss romance is boring and uninspired.
And the allegory behind the film has all the subtlety of a stripper in a church (Japan outside the scope of the comparison).

Yeah, this film really doesn't do anything that many movies, stories, and children's picture books haven't done to death already.

Give me three hours of my life back. The CGI is impressive and the action scenes are pretty badass, but I would have by far preferred watching Michael Bay burn half a billion dollars colliding planets or something.

You mean, that are arguments?

That are no arguments at all, that is just a count of the things you don't like, with some insultings behind, which express your complicated way of feeling, you said no examples for the bad dialogues, not at all, and you tell me I don't understand the english language? I think you don't know what you we're writing at all... and now go watch some twilight, that might be something you like.. with a deep story... there are no stories nowadays which are really deep.. beside maybe watchmen, but that was a unique movie in the movie history... whatever, I think you should not take part at a arguing about a movie which you don't like, because you can't give good criticsm when you don't like something.

Level 26
just to repeat what you've said with SOOO many GOOD arguments:

You mean, that are arguments?
I've gone on to develop them further when I discussed them with Eccho.

But again, even if you don't like how I didn't cite any evidence, even worse is the rebuttal that ignores completely anything I said and just dismisses my post because you don't like my character.
That are no arguments at all, that is just a count of the things you don't like, with some insultings behind, which express your complicated way of feeling, you said no examples for the bad dialogues, not at all, and you tell me I don't understand the english language?
No one at all has yet to cite any evidence from the movie, so I didn't see a need to. Just listen to anything the Colonel has to say, and you will understand that the script is definitely not this film's strong point. I'd cite specific examples, but it's a movie. A particularly new one, so I don't actually have a script of the entire movie on hand with me right now; I'm afraid I can't actually give you quotes. Please excuse my puny human non-photographic memory. Also, lol at your sudden discussion of your English skills. They haven't come to mind until you mentioned it just now, but thanks for imagining my grammar Naziism. I always need a good strawman.
I think you don't know what you we're writing at all... and now go watch some twilight, that might be something you like.. with a deep story...
...And there goes what little credibility you had. You obviously have no understanding of what a thought-provoking story is, or good writing for that matter.
there are no stories nowadays which are really deep.. beside maybe watchmen, but that was a unique movie in the movie history...
My point exactly. Story-wise, ignoring the fact that it's actually an adaptation, Watchmen has a plot that a few years from now, you will probably remember. As a movie, it's unique and engaging. Avatar is not. It's not bad, it's just not great. It's good CGI and worthwhile action, but that's it.

But again, I've already gone over this in just about every post I've made in this thread. Not like you read them or anything.
whatever, I think you should not take part at a arguing about a movie which you don't like, because you can't give good criticsm when you don't like something.
Hah, that's a good one.

Oh, wait. You're serious. You honestly think this, don't you? Scary.

Never expect anything great from a movie video game, no matter how awesome the movie is. The only movie video games I've ever seen get good ratings by Game Informer were games loosely based off the batman series and kung fu panda, theres probably more but I don't keep tabs on them. Basically, movie video games are almost always aimed at milking the movie for its success.

Looking at the reviews, it did better then most movie games - if you really want to see a fail movie game, look up the game for Jumper

Level 8
First off I think the ongoing attacks at each other should stop might close this thread.

Second yes... all movies are predictable, Sherlock Holmes (Haven't seen it) is going to be the plot of,

Hey I solve mysteries, nice you're hired for this case I need solving, I found something and I am on a lead but there is a struggle and I lose/give up, I get encouraged again, I come back and figure out what the crime was!

Any action movie, Okay I'm going to do this, Oh bad guy wins the fight, I'll do something different, I win later on go me!

Any horror movie, What was that? Let's check it out, Oh my god it is after us run, 3 possible endings everyone dies, everyone but one dies, killer dies.

I mean I think the last time I ever was surprised in a movie was Burn after reading. Whole movie is unexpected.

Last edited:
I mean I think the last time I ever was surprised in a movie was Burn after reading. Brad Pitt dieing was just so unexpected the whole movie was kind of unexpected.

well thanks for spoiling that movie (meh, wasn't going to see it anyways but someones probably pissed about that).

Anyways, the only one really doing "attacks" has been MySpaceBarBroke, who's broken out the whole list of complaints method.

And about my seemingly random post, there was a post earlier about how the video game was a fail when someone before sarcastically called the movie a video game, but that post seems to have been deleted and thus my post makes no sense.

Level 8
My bad I'll edit that part shouldn't spoil it for others sorry in advance to anyone who had read that and sorry to you as well.

Level 8
The problem whit movies these days is that they are packed whit action but the story isn't worked out OR the story is worked out to well and there barely is any action. example of action packed but fucked up story is transformers. now don't get me wrong i love the transformer movies but it won't be because of the story and that is why their not on my fav list. now i've heard this film should be good, many of my friends saw it and all of them say it is, so lets hope it's in balance good story and enough action.

Level 40
The problem whit movies these days is that they are packed whit action but the story isn't worked out OR the story is worked out to well and there barely is any action. example of action packed but fucked up story is transformers. now don't get me wrong i love the transformer movies but it won't be because of the story and that is why their not on my fav list. now i've heard this film should be good, many of my friends saw it and all of them say it is, so lets hope it's in balance good story and enough action.
Because of course action is the only movie genre.

Level 13
Well I'm back from watching this movie. The 3D effects were pretty incredible... In the beginning atleast. I just felt like they toned them down constantly as the movie went on and towards the end I felt that the only purpose of the 3D glasses was to make the colours abit darker and also make the subtitles 3D.

Anyways, I thought the movie was pretty good, althought the plot felt abit lazy in my opinnion. It was just so simple and predictable. Also I REALLY hated how the army was portrayed as these one dimensional gunho crazy murderers, while the Na'vi were pure children of the nature.

But still, I enjoyed watching it. It's a good movie and it's really well done. Still, I liked District 9 more.

It is very similar to District 9 so heres how the two chalk up if you ask me:

Category - Avatar - District 9
Action-----Win - Good
Story------Meh - Good (at least better, kinda cliche but not bad)
Effects-----Win - Good

Because of course action is the only movie genre.

I think he was trying to make a point that today, Action and Story seem separate, you don't often find a movie that accels in both, not saying that all movies need action.

Read the whole forum and you'll see what people have to say about the story. If you liked Transformers, you'll like Avatar - I'd have to say that Avatar did have a better story then Transformers, but really thats not much of an accomplishment

Last edited:
Level 8
I think he was trying to make a point that today, Action and Story seem separate, you don't often find a movie that accels in both, not saying that all movies need action.

yes this is indeed what i was trying to say. and from trailers i have seen here and there i think i indeed will like the movie.

Level 23
I found D9 boring when I watched it:p However, I did only watch the first part, and since it began like a documentary I had a hard time being 'attached' to it in the beginning.
Hair into internet? .__. You need a better word of choice

Level 8
ah yes being one whit their surroundings when they attached to something they actually became a part of it. very nicely done.

I found D9 boring when I watched it:p However, I did only watch the first part, and since it began like a documentary I had a hard time being 'attached' to it in the beginning.

District 9 is a pretty awesome movie too, it starts out as a documentary but it gets away from that as it goes on. If you never saw far enough, the guy the documentary was based on becomes the main character.

Level 12
Well I think their hair was braided around some sort of tentacle that they could attach to things and then *bond* with it by either downloading information (hearing voices) or giving commands. It is a really cool concept and I could see evolution taking that direction (not on this planet though since there are so many varying climates).

The movie makes you want to be apart of it. Now my life will always seem unfulfilled.

Level 8
Dreadnought[dA];1421505 said:
Well I think their hair was braided around some sort of tentacle that they could attach to things and then *bond* with it by either downloading information (hearing voices) or giving commands. It is a really cool concept and I could see evolution taking that direction (not on this planet though since there are so many varying climates).

The movie makes you want to be apart of it. Now my life will always seem unfulfilled.

If no one else caught this... It is about the Indians, Europeans/Americans and if I am correct about 65% about this from a documentary, Hair was meant for the earth or something to that extent. <-- That statement can be 100% false I'm just pretty sure about that. (Could be Mixing the Indians up)

Or the whole fact that Whitey is screwing the Different colored people (Hispanics, Blacks, Asians list goes on).

But I could care less my eyes were dazed by how amazing everything was.

Level 26
Matured smurfs, that's all they are. Whats so interesting about that...?
a) If the subject matter was the only thing that made things interesting, Family Guy would be the best show ever. As it stands, however, it isn't.

b) If I discovered a planet full of giant blue people, you bet your ass I would find that interesting.

c) Papa Smurf has far since matured, and he still isn't any taller than any of the other smurfs. Just thought I'd point that out.

If no one else caught this... It is about the Indians, Europeans/Americans and if I am correct about 65% about this from a documentary, Hair was meant for the earth or something to that extent. <-- That statement can be 100% false I'm just pretty sure about that. (Could be Mixing the Indians up)

Or the whole fact that Whitey is screwing the Different colored people (Hispanics, Blacks, Asians list goes on).

But I could care less my eyes were dazed by how amazing everything was.

It was overall a general statement that man screws up everything - the fact that pretty much everyone in that movie was white just seems like something from casting

Level 24
I'm not exactly sure what to say. That doesn't seem exponentially good or bad.

The minimap seems a bit odd pasted in like that, with the whole tone of the movie/game and everything. It seems a bit more at home in Spore or something like that

The rest of the interface is hidden. I'll show a better ones later, but that was the one on my clipboard atm.

Level 3
The film totally serves your daily need of escapism.. the "plot" of this topic was more awesome, unpredictable and.. humorous, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.