• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jib

J

Jib

I thought that Avatar was a fantastic film and is worth seeing in Imax 3-D. Even if it did remind me a bit too much of Dances With Wolves and District 9, I still thought it was pretty entertaining. Not to mention that I really wish that Pandora were real, because of how that world was so amazing. Therefore, I gotta give this movie a thumbs up!:thumbs_up:

Level 15
The story was very predictable and foundationally not very original, some of the dialog was a bit cliche to the point of being humorous.

That said, the visuals were exceptional, easily the best I've seen in a film. The music and audio was decent. And even for its faults, I definitely thought it was worth seeing. Twice.

I notice a divide, Smart people hate it, kinda not smart people like it.
This appears to be a generalization. It remains very doubtful that intelligence has any bearing on whether anyone liked the film or not. It's a fantasy, after all.

Level 23
Ich, only thing good were effects, basically it was a 2 hour tech demo for half a billion

Eccho is weird in this regard

Im not really sure if I should just ignore you, or flame back... Thank you for spreadin some love. Troll.

Oh and yeah? Want some facts about your budget interpretation?

Budget $237 million[2]
Gross revenue $1,858,866,889[3][4]

Level 17
Ich, only thing good were effects, basically it was a 2 hour tech demo for half a billion

Eccho is weird in this regard

Stop trolling please. Just because you have a certain taste in movies doesn't mean that all other apparantly "smart" people have the same taste.

Level 23
Thats irrelevant, and District 9 only have a gross revenue of about 200 millions anyway.

You're right when it comes to marketing, it was about additional 150 millions to that if I remember right.

Level 23
The ratio between the budget/income is rarely important for anyone. it's rather income - budget which is.

Tbh, I believe alot more will remember Avatar than District 9. But whatever man, I have nothing more to say to you.

Level 3
Avatar is the best movie I've ever seen. The only bad think is that is was so short :xxd:

The sceence are original and the 3d effects are awsome...

HFR

HFR

Level 22
District 9 is a lot smaller and less famous. It cannot be compared to this mega project (mega, not good).

For me, District 9 is much better than Last Samurai with elf-smurfs things. But that's my opinion.

However, calling it "the best movie of all time" is a bit exaggerated, right?

Actually, the appointed best movie of all time is Citizen Kane - and it's supposed to be incredibly boring.

I would say Avatar has some of the best visuals of movies so far, and though it is enjoyable - it's story is as everyone says, a cliche in every form of the word. It's not the best movie of all time, but its not the worst. I would say calling this the best movie of all time is because of the contact high some people get when they watch something with visuals like that.

I liked it, it had a representation of a new world, but, even if I am a damn fan of this type of movies, this one made me feel bored in some points of the movie; apparently, apart from the new-age thing it introduces, it maintains the classic american style, where everything seems easy and has a happy end. I didn't like this blend of american warfare with this magical atmosphere. The alternation of the normal world to the world of Pandora became boring after a while. The most intriguing part was the lore of this civilization, which is Night Elves', in the Warcraft III world.

Level 27
Avatar's fanbase is gigantic compared to district 9's

Both movies are great, altrough Avatar is much more original and it uses the most advanced computer technologies ever used in movies. Its like Star Wars in 1980s. Altough I liked District 9 too. I'd say both movies are superb, but since Avatar is more... hmmm... well I can't find a word but... how is it called when there are lots of parts that you haven't seen ever befored and you'll remember them for long?

Also, did anyone heard that Sankt-Petersburg's communists boycotted Avatar movie and were rquesting to arrest Cameron?

Also, did anyone heard that Sankt-Petersburg's communists boycotted Avatar movie and were rquesting to arrest Cameron?

Whats wrong with Cameron for that movie? I don't see why anyone would think thats wrong - and I'm assuming your referring to Christians with the Saint Petersburg's communists line, I real don't see how that could offend Christians....

Level 27
No, first of all their leader also was aginst Modern Warfare 2 game too. See, he's just one of those anti-american culture fanatics or sometihng like that. So acording to him:
1. Avatar movie is "dangerous for health" since acording to him some guy in Taiwan died watching it.
2. Avatar movie is propaganda of experimenting with people (Which is of course bad... but its so awesome!). Also its "propaganda of extremism" since some guy traitors humanity and joins aliens. Well, these are really pointless arguments, just like the first one. But one do you want from a commie fanatic?
3. Cameron stole all the ideas from soviet sci-fi literature, mostly from Strugacki brothers. Well I don't remember that there would be Emmiter Towers and main character named Maxim in Avatar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFN3mKxTKsc&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXZXB5tRck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UXYxQqiceE&feature=related here, compare the Inhabited Island movie (Sorry its Russian, couldn't find any subtitles) made acording to Strugacki novels).
4. And the most "Serious" fact: those blue skinned aliens are scary and children are affraid to watch them.
This concludes or top 4 most moronic arguments ever said by any communist trying to smear USA.

Level 13
Late response but at least...

I also watched it in 3D and was not too excited...

The story idea is old and used lots of time...
"Tech vs nature"... I know lots of books or films which deal with that kind of story.

Also you more or less knew what would happen in the film..
I mean come on nobody would have thought that the guy in the end dies or leaves the planet.. you simply knew that he would be somehow tranformed into that avatar...

(In a way I also knew that that pilot would die... I mean the woman who helps them.
She also acts in Resident Evil 1 and she also dies XD)

The animation were awesome. And that's simply a fact.

But even those great animations could not help the (in my opinion) poor story

Level 27
Ahh come on, if you had an opportunity to be a blue cat alien wouldn't you take it? Also it seems like they would be the perfect basketball players, they were freaking tall

Well maybe in other kinda of aliens, becauce:
1. I hate basketball.
2. I hate cats.
3. Blue coloured skinned is really pointless since, well, it can be fairly easy to notice.
4. In a war of technology against nature I would join technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.