• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wtf is up with the hobbit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Everyone wants to see the hobbit, hobbit this hobbit that. But okay I haven't seen it yet so i can't really say wether it is good or bad.

Although, when i do go and see the movie i will do it with the mindset that this is NOT Lord of the Rings okay, this is The Hobbit. The hobbit is very different, the book is originally a childrens book as the rest is obviously not. Also it is epic fantasy in a way but not on a huge scale like the previous movies, I feel like people do not seem to get that. The Hobbit is not a sequal to LOTR it is a prequal and it is more like a fairy tale than a medieval fantasy story.

I also read someone complaining about how gandalf does magic shit the last moment, seriously? He also did this in LOTR, it has never really made sense in those movies either and it's fine because it is a different category of fantasy than The Wheel of Time for example where everything is super-explained and logical. How can Gandalf fight orcs with a sword when he can drive away nazgul with a lightbeam thing that is never explained in the movies, I haven't read the books but it doesn't matter if it is explained now does it? Most of these people probably don't even know who and what Gandalf is!

Level 25
I wouldn't recommend it if you are a LotR fan. Even if you go in with the mindset that it isn't LotR, the movie will constantly remind you that it is trying to be LotR, forcing you to compare them and find the new one lacking.

It *is* a good film, well made, but brings nothing new. No new ideas, so much recycled from LotR.

The whole point of this franchise is to make money using the tried and tested LotR formula, whereas the LotR franchise was an epic quest in filmmaking.

Last edited:
Hobbit was before Lord of the Rings and thus might not appeal to you as much. I'd rather suggest watching FIRST Hobbit.

The book is as much a book as are the rest of them. I happen to have a copy of The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again (515 pages), The Fellowship of the Ring (1027 pages), The Two Towers (835 pages) and The Return of the King (1131 pages)

Final word? Yes, you should watch it. But do it in the proper order.
It's about the same as watching Star Wars starting from first and ending on last.
*1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is not the correct order lore-wise.

Last edited:
Level 14
I'd watch it, but I absolutely hate movie theaters. People giggle, repeat funny lines, and make a lot of noise. I can't understand why anyone would like to watch movies in there, especially if you're really looking into it and want it to be a great experience.

Level 11
I'd watch it, but I absolutely hate movie theaters. People giggle, repeat funny lines, and make a lot of noise. I can't understand why anyone would like to watch movies in there, especially if you're really looking into it and want it to be a great experience.

A guy started to snore during a silent scene when I went to see the Hobbit. :wsad:
How can someone just fall asleep during a movie like that? Luckily he didn't ruin it, some random guy woke him up immediately after noticing it.

But it was still totally worth seeing it in the theater, the 3D was actually good this time and the sound is so much better than at home.

Last edited:
Level 28
rulerofiron99

How can it be something new when it's based on the book? I mean the book isn't new, and if you've read the book then you'll PROBABLY think it's the same. Unless you've forgotten what happens in the book. Well, yes there are a few things added but they were pretty goddamn cool! This movie iS HOLY SHit AMaZiNG! I can't wait for the next 2 parts. The movie is awesome, I don't understand why some people go blindly hating on it!!!!! I mean, tell me of a better movie in 5-6 years.

Add: AND OF COURSE THERE WERE SOME BAD MOMENTS IN THE MOVIE! Which movie doesn't have them? Think of Star Wars, WOW! so many "bad" scenes. Like "No, No NO! YOU WILL DIE! POOOOWEEEEEER!" this sounds so dumb but yet I love it. And, well the battles (jedi battles) in star wars suck but who cares?! The movie is still great. And if you're such "critics" then I don't see why you even watch movies. Give me one better movie. One. Oh and it shouldn't be an old movie (like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Johes, etc.) since we all know that these movies are classics. And classics rule :p

Level 12
The Hobbit was too draggy. The scenic shots lasted longer than usual. And there sure was a hell of a lot of scenic panoramic shots.

They also expanded on a lot. Like Gandalf's reason of driving out the Necromancer (Sauron) from Mirkwood. In the book, it only states he left and then returned with a one-liner to explain why. In the movie, they showed how Radagast the Brown had discovered Sauron's presence in Mirkwood and their discussion with Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman, which wasn't in the book.

But it was still pretty good.

I know right? For me, I just don't see the point in buying food there. Drinks are fine but why would you pay triple the price for popcorn in the theater when you can get the same size bag in the grocery store and bring it yourself? Or why would you eat during the movie anyway? Can you not sit down and watch a fucking movie without stuffing your face? Not to mention the occasional asshole who struggles to open his pack of M&Ms, paranoid they will explode everywhere.

But The Hobbit was pretty much 9/10.

Level 27
The Hobbit was too draggy. The scenic shots lasted longer than usual. And there sure was a hell of a lot of scenic panoramic shots.

They also expanded on a lot. Like Gandalf's reason of driving out the Necromancer (Sauron) from Mirkwood. In the book, it only states he left and then returned with a one-liner to explain why. In the movie, they showed how Radagast the Brown had discovered Sauron's presence in Mirkwood and their discussion with Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman, which wasn't in the book.

But it was still pretty good.

That is because they use other stuff tolkien wrote but wasn't in the book. I have read the graphic novel btw, it's practically the same as the book i checked the text and it's pretty much cnp.

But i am going to see it this saturday so then i will have an opinion =p

Status
Not open for further replies.