• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Put a picture of an strange place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
Put a picture of an strange place that does not exist in this world. I want to see your pictures and know what you think about this world! and what are you love points.
I love The Halls of the Woodland Realm picture in Hobbit movie very much! That is very amazing.

Desolation_Mirkwood.jpg

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Impossible architectures, by Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972).
Like:

another_world.jpg
house_of_stairs.jpg
LW389-MC-Escher-Relativity-19531.jpg
LW399-MC-Escher-Convex-and-Concave-19551.jpg
LW426-MC-Escher-Belvedere-1958.jpg
LW435-MC-Escher-Ascending-and-Descending-19601.jpg
LW439-MC-Escher-Waterfall-19611.jpg

Optical illusions, symmetry, geometry and mathematics as a whole, all serving visual arts and the powers of imagination.

Official site:
M.C. Escher - The Official Website

Level 28
Impossible architectures, by Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972).

His work is indeed amazing! Have you seen this mobile game that is heavily based on him? Very interesting approach on his art.

---------

My picture will be from Shadow of the Colossus:

shadow-of-the-colossus_screenshot1.png

A damn beautiful strange and fictional place.

No other game, book, painting, song or form of art managed to trigger such an intense aesthetic experience as SotC did. Everything (the terrain, the camera work, the sounds work, the feeling of loneliness, etc) was so beautiful, immersive and touching in a way that I can only compare to Ico (the predecessor game). I'm pretty sure that's a very personal thing though - most people I know didn't feel so connected with that as I did.

Like:

Optical illusions, symmetry, geometry and mathematics as a whole, all serving visual arts and the powers of imagination.

Official site:
M.C. Escher - The Official Website
shadow-of-the-colossus_screenshot1.png

A damn beautiful strange and fictional place.
Hmmm, pretty strange!

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The Midway from the adventure video game Bad Day on the Midway

the-residents-bad-day-on-the-midway_6.gif

No still picture can give justice to the weirdness and greatness of both this fictional place and its game characters imho.

Therefore:

Both an intense artistic trip and a disturbing multimedia experience, this 1995 video game is suggested for mature audiences.

All musics by The Residents. Additional artwork by guest comics artists / illustrators Peter Kuper, Paul Mavrides, Dave McKean, Richard Sala, and more.

tumblr_m3b8hmklBj1rohjx5o1_1280.jpg tumblr_m30jplHH8t1qlvxwno1_1280.jpg tumblr_m3600dH7of1qlvxwno1_1280.jpg

** update **

Promotional video, with CGI 3D footage which is not part of the game itself:

Last edited:
Level 28
I love its atmosphere. And anything done by Froud tbh.

Lovely eerie work. His art and overall atmosphere reminds me of John Bauer (1882-1918) and his trolls/gnomes/etc.

------------

Since last year I'm mesmerized by the world of 1920+, fictional alternate-history setting with giant metal retro-futuristic mechs. That universe was created by artist Jakub Rozalski, and it spawned a tabletop game called Scythe and a RTS called Iron Harvest (under development).

d3a84f6b923bc8a641428319f54ae289.jpg

7f2dd9669a632067934b41f1b254fc67.jpg

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Lovely eerie work. His art and overall atmosphere reminds me of John Bauer (1882-1918) and his trolls/gnomes/etc.

John Bauer's illustrations are indeed a source of inspiration for Brian Froud. I invite those interested in such art to also watch the 1982 adventure fantasy film The Dark Crystal. It was a notable effort (unfortunately not without many flaws) to bring fantasy with dark overtones, live to the big screen. The film remains imho an artistic accomplishment nonetheless.

Anyway...

The Palace of the Dragon King (1915). Illustration by Edmund Dulac (1882-1953), for The Story of Bashtchelik: a Serbian fairy tale.

Edmund Dulac - Bashtchelik - The Palace of the Dragon King.jpg

Eerie. Plus, a great use of colours. Please note, some scans found on the internet are not as decent as this one.

Dulac's sources of inspiration were principally of oriental origin, and his refined harmonies of colors were somewhat reminiscent of the Persian miniatures. Both of these artistic influences clearly show here.

I especially love his gorgeous illustration work of fairy tales.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Two places from the comic book series Sharaz-De. Art by Sergio Toppi (1932-2012)

The palace from the tale 'I have waited a thousand years'

Sharaz-de - I have waited a thousand years.jpg

The magnetic island from the tale 'You will not invoke that name'

Sharaz-de - You will not invoke that name.jpg

Sharaz-De is Toppi's adaptation of some of the oriental short stories collectively known as One Thousand and One Nights. It was originally published in installments, starting from 1979.

A French translation of 'I have waited a thousand years' can be read online for free, courtesy of French publisher Mosquito Editions.

More outstanding art by Sergio Toppi for Sharaz-De can be seen here.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Harkonnen Castle (aka 'A. Jodorowsky's DUNE II', 1975). Painting by Hans Rudolf Giger (1940-2014)

42_1211674942_01_36.jpg

Design for a film adaptation project of Frank Herbert's novel Dune, which was to have been directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Giger describes the Harkonnen Castle as being "a symbol of intemperance, exploitation, aggression and brutality with a magical aura which has a negative effect on all the inhabitants". A very exhaustive description of it can be read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.