• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: Armies of Azeroth - Crowdfunding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
crowdfundingcampaign.jpg

Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth is the Starcraft II based remake of Warcraft III!
The mod adds some new gameplay features, but saves original balance and graphical design with massive use of resources from other games created by Blizzard Entertainment.
When the core mechanics and classic campaigns are complete, the team definitely wants to add some custom things.
Things like new races, heroes, game modes, campaigns and even remake the other two games of WarCraft Franchise (WarCraft I & II)

to support Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth

Indiegogo is the largest global crowdfunding & fundraising site.
Watch project member Aleksandr Nikolaev aka. Jusper talk about Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth and their Indiegogo campaign!

227608-albums7747-picture106596.jpg
227608-albums7747-picture106597.jpg

Justification of the campaign

The WAA Team has been developing Armies of Azeroth for over three years with no funding whatsoever, donating their time and effort to its development with no monetary reward.
All developers on the project have had to return to work after their normal day jobs, dramatically hindering the progression of the project due to its time intensive requirements.

After releasing the 3 melee maps to the public, we're hoping to receive backing from both the awesome StarCraft & WarCraft communities to push our project forward and expand the team with sufficient funds to expedite the development process.

With your help, we'll have the time, motivation, and resources we need to put that fresh looking AAA polish on Armies of Azeroth and get it out to you faster and better.

What will the money donated be spent on?

Developing Armies of Azeroth is just as complex and time consuming as developing a stand-alone.

Primarily, the money will be spent on the lead developers and 3d artists so we can produce the mod full-time just like a job.
Split among us, we are taking a VERY small amount of money for basic living expenses over the next year of production.
Remember that 80,000 quickly becomes 76,000 after Indiegogo take it's share. We also have to pay for software, hardware, arts and the list goes on.

mcemb1uti6nlb0rewws8.jpg

DreadLord's Portrait Model

Modding isn't anything like it used to be in WarCraft 3. People's standards are VERY high now, and to produce something of quality takes significant time, energy, and sacrifice.

dragoonzombiefingerpoint.gif
Keep in Mind

All special effect flags, unique skins and models will be available for all players when the mod is complete, after earning the special ingame achievement.
Custom Models, Units, Races etc, will be included in open assets, when the first goal is achieved. Additional content will be provided dynamically within the development progress until the Delivery Date.

Can you take a look before you decide to back it?

Yep! Please note Armies of Azeroth is still in the Alpha stages of some elements of its development, but it's fully playable!

To begin playing, just log into your StarCraft II client, click on the Arcade button, and search for WAA in the reach box!

Also, you can use the PDF instruction on Moddb.com.

Don't have the time to play through online, or haven't downloaded the StarCraft II: Starter Edition?
No worries, you can check out these game-play videos, or search «Armies of Azeroth» on youtube to view some of the many player-uploaded videos and see their reactions!

You can also view the Warcraft: Armies of Azeroth Alpha Arcade Trailer

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

All special effect flags, unique skins and models will be available for all players when the mod is complete, after earning the special ingame achievement.
Custom Models, Units, Races etc, will be included in open assets, when the first goal is achieved. Additional content will be provided dynamically within the development progress until the Delivery Date.
Sounds to me as if they cut their own flesh.

Besides that, a great project with unlimited potential.

Level 5
I did`nt Understand what exactly it is , is this a warcraft inside starcraft? why? why not increase graphic of warcraft with warcraft? besides who cares? people playing warcraft because of custom maps like elemental td DotA and etc ...

Level 8
Wasn't there a mod like this for wc3? I believe somebody ripped these models from starcraft 2 and made a mod for wc3 somewhere.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Wasn't there a mod like this for wc3? I believe somebody ripped these models from starcraft 2 and made a mod for wc3 somewhere.
Possible, but the team of this project is going to model from scratch every wc3 model being useful for such a mod into a high-quality one,
if I understand it correctly.

Level 3
I believe somebody ripped these models from starcraft 2 and made a mod for wc3 somewhere.
Currently, mod files are unavailable for people. We plan to introduce them when they are fully complete and polished.
if I understand it correctly.
Yes, you understand correctly.

Level 4
So to clarify, this mod will only be available to sc2 players? Or is it available to demo on sc2 but ultimately be for wc3?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I see so it's basically useless to wc3 players (who don't have sc2)
I am very sure people will start converting it to mdx
once the models are released, so you can, with quality-drawbacks,
use them in Warcraft III.

Level 8
Hm,
I have the feeling a tiny bit is missing, thats why I compared the two sceenshots:
6.jpg

frontbo.jpg

Conclusion:
-Missing ground textures for buildungs (how could I forget them?)
-style is a bit to much wow, wc3 comic style is unique because of harsh textures and less polygons, wow style is smooth textures with many polygons
-color of the whole screen looks a bit too yellow

Apart from that: Keep up the good work

Level 14
I suppose $80,000 always was quite the stretch, wasn't it?

I don't mean to be buzzkill, but I've been following the Indiegogo page since day 1, and things are looking rather grim.

I wonder if they have considered setting up a patreon page; I'd rather give $10 USD every month for an year than whoop $100 USD at once. And given that this funding is mainly for everyday expenses, I'd say Patreon was probably the better option out of the two.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
A few points:

1. They should have made it a Kickstarter. I'm sorry, but many people are conservative about using only one platform for this type of thing (i.e. Kickstarter). Also, I think the layout and style of the Kickstarter page is a lot more polished and smooth to look at. However, as WerBackIII suggested, if they wanted to go for everyday funding style, Patreon should be used.

2. Too little advertising done. Too little to show. The Orc tutorial campaign should have been made before and branded for the funding campaign. The first mission is crap (learn movement, use a few units, blabla), but the 2nd base building part involves more story and meaningful gameplay. Also, they could easily spice that one up given the plethora of improvements from the SC2 Engine. Basically, as it is, we know that they are capable of creating beautiful models and standard melee gameplay, but the singlplayer campaigns (in this case the prologue orc campaign) are important for many people - the nostalgia is something to be seriously considered when making a mod like this. The aesthetics of a game are fully enjoyed in non-competitive gameplay after all.

3. the gameplay of the alpha has a few problems*: namely the movement of units is quite different from WC3. Units turn almost instantly, unlike in WC3 where it was a bit slower paced. This would be fine - as a modern game change - if it wasn't for the fact that it looks very annoying and ugly. Some units are too dark and it can be hard to tell them apart (some of the orc units blend into the grass textures and shrub, giving them almost a 'hidden' effect). This is completely unlike WC3 where units were very easily distinguishable. Furthermore, the unit portraits are inconsistent. Some units have closeup face portraits, while others have semi-close ones. (For one the Blademaster's covers his upper body, and not only his face)

*: I know that bugs are too expected from an alpha, but the discussed issues are, apparently, cosmetic design choices, which seem to be wrong from my point of view.

Well... I guess no one is surprised by this, but the crowdfunding campaign is cancelled.

That being said, I'd like to draw your attention to a particular part of that update:
We hope that the next one will be much more successful and will attract much more attention around the world. In case of failure, we will be forced to suspend our work on the mod until the official release of Warcraft IV.
LOL see y'all in 2054.

In all seriousness, I hope their second campaign succeeds. They can count on my donation.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
For a mod that has only showed us a moderately good melee alpha. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but really with that amount requested, their current product should show a higher level of quality.

Reactions: Rui
Level 8
Well i see that developers cant finish both moding and maps so why dont they let other people finish the maps instead when they release the full game.I mean they create a game and a few maps after that(5 to 10) and let the people who want to play it build the rest of maps like in Warcraft 3 with world editor it will be much easier for them and much more fun for us because we will be able to try out the WE of Armies of Azeroth.Is that a litle more helpfull or not?I mean surely there will be a lot of them who would take up the task of map building for Armies of Azeroth.

Status
Not open for further replies.