Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    I disagree it's not the place, cause Reforged release/patch timing will 99% be timed with WoW's patches/contents so that people could potentially play both(though I doubt anyone will do that). Also many WoW story and retconns will be in Reforged, some maps (e.g Stratholm and Silvermoon) will be redisigned to look like they do in WoW, as well as other elements like voice actors. Besides it's a sequel game, same setting, same story, some spells, Rexxar campaign was basically WoW's prototype, so it's "simmilar" in many ways. And many people came from WoW to WC3 and other way. And I doubt 8.2.5 will be out before January/February judging by PTR state from wowhead.

2. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is already stated it is out by October and the anniversary event. And Reforged is just a side project that has next to no importance to Blizzard having a 10 min screen time for Reforged would be a 'great' moment for Reforged because it is basically nothing to Blizzard compared to their any other game.

3. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that expecting Blizzard to release Reforged "AT" Blizzcon is quite silly.

1. I don't recall Blizzard ever launching a game, a patch, or a PTR/beta during Blizzcon. Maybe there was something, but overall it's not a thing that they "do".

2. It's a bad idea to release a game AT a convention, because:

a) A lot of the developers are away from work, because they attend the convention - and when you launch a new game, there's always a risk of things going sideways, so you need these people in the office to potentially develop and release fixes in a timely manner.

b) It would be a massive middle-finger to their most loyal customers (i.e. people who actually go to Blizzcon) to release a game during the convention and tell them: "oh, we've just released a game and everyone at home can already play it, but you - our "best" customers - will have to wait until you get back home, because... fuck you.

c) It's not really smart from a PR perspective to release something during the convention, because either this thing is going to be overshadowed by other announcements or it will take attention away from whatever it is they are showing at the convention.

So, nope - Blizzcon release is NOT going to happen. My personal guess is that there will be no "beta". Instead they will show a new demo at Blizzcon and announce the release date for late November/early December.

P.S. What I've said is also true for a beta. If there is one, it will either start before (doubt it) or shortly after Blizzcon. Not during it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your story sound convincing to me,you provided arguments which is just rare to see those days.

So beta right before blizzcon i guess or after?

But that demo gameplay they will show us at blizzcon would be small insight o actuall close beta that public never had a chance to see before xD.
    That beta would be kinda 100% assets done by the time of blizzcon (i even assume its already done,but lets not hurry)

5. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    As I've said - I generally doubt there will be a "beta", but if there is one I expect it to start within the first week after Blizzcon and last only 2-3 weeks, so that people can potentially check for some gamebreaking issues Blizzard might want to fix before release. Everything else will get patched once the game is out.

P.S. Also... they've said they will release by the end of the year and we still have more than 3 more months until that date. There's no reason to panic yet. Relax :)

6. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Things you said would only make sense if Reforged was a big thing though, it is just a simple side project like SC:R (which was delivered alot better) I'm pretty sure it will be a release at Blizzcon or a day after it's finish. Anyways at October they'll reveal what Blizzcon visual ticket offers to purchasers, if they mention something like 'test Reforged during Blizzcon' or something I'll be giving my money for Blizzard for the first time in 10 years

7. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agree 100% about Blizzcon release. It seems likely that there will be a presentation at Blizzcon, showing some screenshots and some iconic chapter(e.g where Thrall and Jaina fight chaos Grom). Than at the end of presentation they'll say that a beta starts in 10 days, but the attendants are able to play it during the Blizzcon.

However I don't think it'll be a complete/close to release beta. As I said before it's not how Blizzard does things, and it's also not how a game is published, even the most unimportant. It litterally had 0 promotion, and to be releases in few months sounds unrealistic. If there was any promotion, wowhead would have known it, I might have missed the news though.

I think it's far more likely that a beta will be in the early alfa stage of developement, and that it will last for 6-7 monts. So a release in may 2020 sounds far more realistic to me. It will also be bugged a lot in may and will be heavily patched in the next week, so it will be in a playable stage in late june/early july.

That would also allign with my other calculations. With TBC lanching in February, when (most) people get bored with Classic. Then Reforged in May, when (most) people get bored with TBC. And finaly WotLK in august when (most) people get bored with Reforged. Of coursed cause of bugged releases everithing will be a month and a half late, but by January 2021, Blizzard will have accumulated enough funds to last years with Overwatch only(lol).

I do however expect that Reforged will be upgraded post launch with addons(like "Trouble in Pandaria, for 15$ unlock a scenarion to help Chen and Li Li deal with trouble in Pandaria. For just 15$ you get a new hero Li Li with completely new abilities, a bunch of extra melee maps, a new Pandaria tileset, new creeps, and a Pandaren race for a scenario" or "Deaths of Chromie, help Chromie to stop her Death, for just 15$ you get a new hero Chromie with time based abilities, extra creeps, melee maps, new tilesets Uldum and Azuna etc.." and silmilar suff). But only 1 or 2 cause I doubt anyone would buy those. I personally won't and I wouldn't like it, though honestly I wouldn't hate that either.

8. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    It might not be a big release, but it's still bigger than a lot of patches, betas and PTRs and they don't release these at Blizzcon too, so my arguments still apply, especially a) and b).

But I guess we'll have to agree to agree to disagree on this one - Blizzcon is happening soon, so we'll see who was right :)

Well, Classic demo was supposedly a big success last year, so I kinda expect that this year's virtual ticket will also include some demo, perhaps for Reforged.

Still, if they have a Reforged demo for Blizzcon it pretty much means the full game won't release during the convention, though.

9. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, Reforged releases before 2019 ends so even if they decide to release a beta right now it will last 3 months max

10. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know they said that, but they also said that beta will at the begining 2019. They'll probabaly just keep quiet about that part, it wouldn't be the first time a game is late(nor the last). Besides realeasing a game with 0 promotion, however unimportant it may be, is imo just rediculous.

11. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It won't happen due to both laws, avoiding facing lawsuits and when Blizzard gives a date they don't fail at it, you can say game will be completely broken sure it has a 90% chance if you ask me, but it will arrive in 2019 for sure

12. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean, literally nobody knew Apex Legends existed until it released

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Didn't they usually release one game per year or so in Novemenber?

14. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    They are 100% going to release by the end of the year.

The way I remember, Blizzard usually releases their games or content updates towards the end of the estimated time window anyway, so as I've said before - there's no reason to panic just yet. In my opinion, they're just waiting for Blizzcon to announce the release date to potentially profit from a little bit of extra hype.

As for how stable the game is at launch... I don't think it will be that bad - the core of the game should work absolutely fine and if there are any glitches, they will probably be pretty minor and will get patched out rather quickly.

If anything, there might be some more serious problems with the editor, because if they do indeed run out of time, the editor is not really something that's absolutely necessary for most people to enjoy the game (as long as the basic functionality is there and some of the more popular maps are able to be ported or recreated, the regular player won't really notice the issues with some editor functions), so that's a fairly obvious corner that they can cut.

15. SLICED

SLICED

Resources:
    Resources:
    Idk if Overwatch is that successful anymore.. didn't WoW Classic take over the no.#1 spot in their most played/popular games list in this period ? I mean, Asmongold has been having like 35k viewers in the past days by playing Classic, and those are pretty big numbers regarding WoW on Twitch.

Yeah, true about the Beta part.

However, why would the unofficial leaks not be relevant to as being non-silence ? Indeed, they're unofficial, but they are still something and they reflect the fact that something is happening, be it the design of unit/hero artworks or regional esports tournaments. I don't consider these as silence.

You are mostly correct but I believe that when people say it's gonna release at BlizzCon, they might have meant that Blizz employees are gonna say that they will launch it at a specific date in time after BlizzCon, prior to the end of the year, possibly a Beta first and then the full game.. but idk, I kinda doubt they will ever release a Beta anymore.

16. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope, I wasn't talking about a release date announcement (which I believe will happen at Blizzcon), but actual surprise release.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Might just be a temporary hype.

18. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, we're getting close to 1 month since Classic launched - it will be interesting to see if it maintains it's strong position after the first subscription period runs out. I somewhat expect that it will die down a little, but still be a fairly popular game, at least for as long as Blizzard keeps unlocking new content.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What's new about a reboot? Actually not even a remake but a rerun.

20. SLICED

SLICED

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh yes, definetely. But right now, I think Classic is taking the leads in views compared to Overwatch.