• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

W3: My Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hivers, metatronscube6 here, or [my nickname] Yeshua, or my real name, Joshua.

Been playing Warcraft 3 on and off for around 4 years.
I remember the first time I ever saw my friend playing it.
More than likely he was playing a Hero Arena, he was REALLY good at those.
It looked so cool. He gave me his extra copy of W3, his extra CD key, and that's when it all began.
At first I had a lot of trouble figuring out the controls. I was used to FPS and RPG, and console games at that.
But soon I got the hang of it.
I played TDs alot. And Hero Arenas. I also loved LOAP, and D&D.
I remember when most rooms were full, almost instantly.

I had always wanted to be a game designer since I got a SNES at 7.
I went to high school for it even.
Had to sit through a year of MS Office, which to me was ridiculously easy.
Next year I learned HTML, which was lots of fun.
I used to spend hours coding my Myspace [anyone remember Myspace? Before Facebook took over].
I loved that, using HTML, I had almost complete control over a website. I could make it however I wanted, and share it with the rest of the world.
Then things got harder.
Next year I started learning JAVA.
I sucked at it.
Part of it was my home-life at the time was terrible.
Another part, I guess, was I was always getting high, trying to forget my life and just zone out in the induced state of bliss.
But these might just be excuses... :sigh:
It really crushed my hopes and dreams of being a game designer.
If I couldn't learn Java, how could I ever hope to learn the more advanced languages, the ones games are made of today.
I quit playing Warcraft 3 then. Lost interest, and making a map had proved to be too time consuming, requiring more dedication and skill than I could muster up.

Fast forward two years. I won't go into detail of my graduation, me moving all over the place from family member to family member, and me making and losing friends over stupid things.

Then it was about a year ago I found my old Warcraft 3 disk, the same one my friend gave me years ago. I popped it in, installed, and jumped on Bnet to see how things were.
I was depressed by what I found.
Empty rooms. Mostly bots, real people were hard to come by.
So I started messing around with the World Editor again.
It was fun, but I still didn't have the patience or dedication to finish anything.

Now, or rather, a month ago, I moved the last time for awhile. I finally found a place that gave me time to relax and explore my creativity. I was telling my little brother about how much fun I had with Warcraft 3, which inspired me to install it again.
He too was a gamer and had interest [who wouldn't?] in making his own games. So I told him about the World Editor.
So we put our heads together, and started working on a project together.
[shameless plug]
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...g-hirschspring-province-stagnant-vein-190338/
[/shameless plug]
I've had a lot of fun getting reacquainted with the World Editor. Trying things I had trouble with before, and getting to let out some of the creativity I had bottled up over the years with no tangible outlet [besides random short stories I never finished].

So here I am. Doing the same thing I was doing when I first started playing Warcraft 3. Minus the Bnet, of course, since I doubt its in any better shape. but I still enjoy the TDs, and RPGs. DLing all the new maps that look interesting from here. And learning new tricks with the World Editor to help me finally finish a map I've had bouncing around in my head for four years.

Well if you read all that, thanks, hope it was at least slightly interesting.

And I guess the point of this thread is to tell me how you can relate, or how you can't relate.

What's been your experience with Warcraft 3?

P's
-Yeshua

Level 21
I grown up with Warcraft II, but as soon I put my finger to play Warcraft III I was amazed on how it looked at my age of thirteen, and everything I experienced was awesome.
Now at my age of twenty-two I still think its a good game still and I do play the main Blizzard campaigns from time to time, but I usually play the custom campaigns.

Warcraft came along way from Orcs and Humans all the way to WoW, which is awesome and I would love to see a Warcraft IV getting to know what happened to the Horde and Alliance, but WoW is Warcraft IV if you even know it.

Level 21
Those nude patches are damn hilarious, and having people to download them.
Oh boy, and anyway really had fun making makes of lots of Horde to make a army and I made a army for the Alliance and I sent the Horde to attack them and it was funny to see them attack each other.

Warcraft III is a great childhood game and I loved how me and my cousin played it when we were younger and enjoyed playing it.

Last edited:
Level 37
2002: Got my Deathwing Icon
2003: Got my Illidian Icon
2004: Played more melee. Gained some good ranks in team games.
2005: Played more melee. Gained some good ranks in team and solo games. Also started playing custom games more.
2006: Started to play custom games and gave up from playing melee games. Kitabatake introduced me the world editor. Made my first two maps: Land Of Legends and Poison River(now know as "War Of The Kings").
2007: Continued making maps: Mystery Of Friza and Art Of Life. Started to do The Chosen Ones, but gave up after few weeks.
2008: Continued making maps: Midnight Rush, Aero TD, Oblong War, Gardens of Zirmiath, The Snowy Fight, Lava Race, The Ultimate Fight, The Protection, The Generals, The Zre Diamond and The Fallen Heroes. End of the year I continued doing: The Chosen Ones.
2009: Continued working The Chosen Ones until Summer when I went to army.
2010: Continued working The Chosen Ones in the end of summer.
2011: I continued working The Chosen Ones.

Level 22
Well not much to tell from my side, but here goes:

When I got my Warcraft III, I loved maps such as LOAP and archer related games.
So after that I started creating my own maps, in the end I created 2 that can be called good.

Soon after noticing that I'm not they guy ready to understand stuff like making spells like knockbacks MUI in JASS and losing interest in games I quit Warcraft along with all other Games. Just to make sure I'd never return I gave my CDs away and formatted my PC to lose everything related to it (including maps).

Afterwards I gained more interest in Computing and Hacking, so that's what I've been doing for the last 1 and a half years and still doing it.

I've lost all interest in programming now that I see that I know enough of it to pass both middle and high school programming without doing anything.

So soon after I moved to Ubuntu Linux and then to BlackBuntu.

I like Linux way more than I ever liked Windows.
People often ask me how I manage without games (especially in my class), and the truth is, Linux is almost a game of its own to me, same goes for Computing and Gray Hat activities.

For the future I'm hoping to regain interest in programming, as obviously it's one of the best things to know in the digital world.

Level 20
Played Orcs & Humans (wc1) sat on my Dad's lap... Good Times.
Several years later he's dragging me around pc world and shoves a box in my face.
I'm like wtf is this?!

It's Warcraft III

He buys it for me (I don't refuse :p) go home, bit excited, looks alot better than the old one I used to play. Stick it in...
History in the making.
That's before I found out about the editor.

Now?

I've tried but never quite got into Starcraft as much as Warcraft, I don't play war3 anymore, I do pretty much think online is dead. The modding side at least, which is what I loved, all those custom maps, turning an RTS into all those different games... :p

SO... started work with some others to turn the Sc2 engine into War4.
I just can't wait for blizz to pump it out (if they ever do!).

Level 9
my story somehow resembles Grey Nightmare's
at a small age ( don't remember when ) I used to watch my big cousins play some RTS type games on the pc, I never understood most of it but I always enjoyed watching

days passed by I got a pc and someone happened to gift me my 1st ever game
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans! simply loved that game even though you needed to hit the move command each time your want to move or attack
after a few months (or maybe a year ) I bought Warcraft 2
I been map editing Since Wc2 Editor !
The game was much advanced than wc1 and I played it for about 2-3 years
also did find Sc1 in the middle somewhere, played it's campaign but never liked it more than Warcraft

and in the middle somewhere I played a bit of AoE and AoE 2

later on the time came and I found Warcraft 3 RoC, was totally fascinated by the 3D looks cinematics/storylines and everything, the map editor was very complex as here's where map editing really began, after a year of RoC bought TFT and
in about 2 years I got my internet connection,

Simply Loved playing maps like Footman Frenzy, Dark Deeds, Vamp , Island Trolls Tribe and a few more also good hooked to more of them like Wintermaul wars, Binders and some of the new maps of that time, leaving custom maps I've actually played more of pg/melee game and in mid 2010 actually started Wc3 commentaries on youtube ( never went very popular, But I still love doing it )

I think it's been about 6 years since I'm hooked to this, I have to confess I played just a bit of AoE 3 but the game never caught much attention, This game is like all I got ^^

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

No World Editor for WoW, though. =[
WC4 w/ World Editor would be the shizznit.

Actually your wrong. There are 2-3 un-offical WE's for wow, this doesn't pertain to wow-rips or the site which shouldn't be named so here's the name of the best one.

Noggit

You will need to download the version of Noggit for 2.4.3 wow and manage to download and install 2.4.3 wow to use it. The program will only run on windows xp as far as I know. (With windows 7 it bugs out and crashes)
Before you use it, backup the entire data folder for wow and place it on your desktop.

Heres my time line:

Whenever AoE2 came out-2005== Modded Aoe2, made 5 maps.
2005-2007==Finished with Aoe2, joined wow, found wc3
2007-2008==Played wow on and off, played wc3 campaign half way through
2008-2009==found out a ton about wc3, started modding wc3, played wow
2009-2010==modded wc3, still playing wow, still half way through wc3 mele campaign
2010-present==quit wow for good this time, bought Sc2 (the editor pisses me off A LOT), kept on moddin wc3

Level 5
I began playing War3 RoC, for about 7 years by now....i still remember my first played mission on the Prologue Campaign, where, because of my age i didn't knew english ( i'm european )...soo...i was having trouble passig it. Soon I was able to master the gameplay and i truly enjoyed the story....first for me to be so complex and nicely put in a game...The endings of both RoC and TFT gave me chills because i liked them soo much.
About modding i can say I'm new to this kind of work on the game.

Level 11
I've been playing Wc3 since Wc1 came out lol jk thats impossible

but i have been playing it since it came out

Loved it a ton, made some fun maps, but then a lot of people started playing boring games, and like all of my friends stopped playing, so i stopped playing.. wish some1 would host LOTR Builder, and pimp my peon and Pelo Wars on SC2... if there even is such thing....

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Well we can always keep showing people how the community has turned a (IMO "dull") game into something amazing, yeah we may have run out of great ideas along the road but theirs still new maps coming out. Some of theme even have new ideas.

Level 30
Wc3 became a childhood game in my life, every time I go home I go straight playing the game and understanding the storylines (wow was just getting released back then), practicing basic steps of the WE (I didn't know there were tons of secrets and knowledge I had to experienced, all thanks to the hive), and as for now, wc3 is still my game

Status
Not open for further replies.