• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

W.I.P Skeletal Dreadlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey, so I read an article found here that had a list of models that were not created yet. I decided to go with the dread lord since I thought it sounded the coolest.

Anyway, I haven't made a model before, so I do not know how to properly wrap something (yet).

All I have done at the moment is replace the head with a skeleton head, and attempted to wrap the model with a frost wyrm and skeleton texture. It turned out looking pretty messy.

I don't think I want to show anything here, until I have done more.

Edit: Alright I have some W.I.P screenshots of what I have right now. I'll start adding different geosets later.
screenshot1-png.270431
screenshot2-png.270432

Model can be found here

Attachments

• Screenshot1.PNG
    Screenshot1.PNG
    90.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot2.PNG
    Screenshot2.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Level 30
Hey, so I read an article found here that had a list of models that were not created yet. I decided to go with the dread lord since I thought it sounded the coolest.

Anyway, I haven't made a model before, so I do not know how to properly wrap something (yet).

All I have done at the moment is replace the head with a skeleton head, and attempted to wrap the model with a frost wyrm and skeleton texture. It turned out looking pretty messy.

I don't think I want to show anything here, until I have done more.

I can tell you the way i did it for example the Pitlord.

• You take the Geosets of the Skeleton/Skeleton Archer/Skeleton Orc/Frostwyrm and try to put them in the right places.
  • If they don't fit then you reshape them to make them fit.
  • For the Wings of the Dreadlord: I would suggest to use the Frostwyrm texture and rewrap it to the Wings.
  • You keep the horns of the Dreadlord and put them on the Skull of the New Geoset.

Level 14
I can tell you the way i did it for example the Pitlord.

• You take the Geosets of the Skeleton/Skeleton Archer/Skeleton Orc/Frostwyrm and try to put them in the right places.
  • If they don't fit then you reshape them to make them fit.
  • For the Wings of the Dreadlord: I would suggest to use the Frostwyrm texture and rewrap it to the Wings.
  • You keep the horns of the Dreadlord and put them on the Skull of the New Geoset.

Thanks so much for the advice! That seems like a much better idea than just a material change. I'll do that! I kept the horns so I can cross that off the list.

I'll get that done, thanks again for the advice!

Level 30
Thanks so much for the advice! That seems like a much better idea than just a material change. I'll do that! I kept the horns so I can cross that off the list.

I'll get that done, thanks again for the advice!

No need to thank me. You're one of my followers. It's the least i can do to help you in your quest to become a good model maker.

Level 14
Of course, a bit of tweaking and adding a bit to it is also important. Only replacing doesn't always work. Sorry i forgot to mention that.
Alright, I have a problem. I got the tail of the Frost Wyrm and when I gave the geoset the texture it looked like this
screenshot3-png.270433

What's with the black texture?

Attachments

• Screenshot3.PNG
    Screenshot3.PNG
    226 KB · Views: 363
Level 30
What's wrong with them? Are they shaped incorrectly?

I think i know what you did. You rewrapped the texture of the Skeleton right?

I have a suggestion: Instead of Rewrapping the Texture to the mesh of the Dreadlord, how about replacing the legs with the skeleton leg mesh.

Of course this only a suggestion, if you want it to be that way then you can let it be.

Level 14

I have a suggestion: Instead of Rewrapping the Texture to the mesh of the Dreadlord, how about replacing the legs with the skeleton leg mesh.

Of course this only a suggestion, if you want it to be that way then you can let it be.
No, I didn't rewrap the texture. I took the legs of the Frostwyrm and tweaked them to be the same shape of the dreadlord's legs. But I think your suggestion would work better.

Level 14

I have a question. Do i remove the legs I put on there? And just that. Or do I remove the whole bottom part including the grey part?

Level 14
I have a question. Do i remove the legs I put on there? And just that. Or do I remove the whole bottom part including the grey part?
I personally like the upper grey part you've made for the thighs; I would just remove the calves and feets (below the knee).

P.S.(I personally think that the original mesh of the dreadlord below the knee would be fine without need to be retextured or replaced. I imagine it like a piece of armor and hooves, it would be something that's still there in a skeleton version. Just my opinion)

Level 14
Yeah. Remove the part you replaced with the frostwyrm legs and replace it with the skeleton ones.
I personally like the upper grey part you've made for the thighs; I would just remove the calves and feets (below the knee).

P.S.(I personally think that the original mesh of the dreadlord below the knee would be fine without need to be retextured or replaced. I imagine it like a piece of armor and hooves, it would be something that's still there in a skeleton version. Just my opinion)

Hmm... Lemme try both of your ideas and see how they look and compare them

Level 14
I don't understand 100% but it seems that the kneeguard is detached from the lower parts in the leg, and a bit of skeleton femur shows beneath the kneeguard.
Not a huge problem for me, if you want to make it better maybe (unsure) try to scale the kneeguard along Z a bit an/or move it down. Try on a separate file save be cause i'm not sure.

Edit: ooh this last one is cute!

Level 30
Alright, what should i do next? Make a Portrait? Or does the model itself need more tweaking?

@Cuore Your input please.
---------------------------------------------------------
For me it's okay and acceptable.

If you make the Portrait:
  • 1.You can either make the Portrait via this
    1.Go to 'Windows' 2. Go to 'Camera Manager' 3. Right Click and Left Click 'Create New from current View'
    . This is the easiest way.
  • or 2. You can export the Meshes/Geosets that you replaced and import those that you need into the Portrait model.
---------------------------------------------------------

Level 30
Alright, I am really confused right now. I went to go test out the model and when i did it looked like this
screenshotofconfusion-jpg.270554
Umm.... Did I miss something?

Yeah. The Problem is that you haven't attached the Skeleton mesh/Geosets to the right bones.

I don't know if you know how to attach them right, so here is a small tutorial on Mdlvis:

Level 14
Yeah. The Problem is that you haven't attached the Skeleton mesh/Geosets to the right bones.

I don't know if you know how to attach them right, so here is a small tutorial on Mdlvis:

Okay, I don't understand. When I imported the geosets into Magos Model Editor I attached it to a Node. Is that the same thing? What does it mean to attach and how do i know which geosets to attach to a certain bone?

Level 23
Alright, how do I attach it to bones correctly? Also, does attaching it to nodes cause problems?
You can attach geosets to bones using MDLVIS, in sequence editor look for the bones (or helpers) which contain the movement information and attach your imported geosets. And yes attaching something to wrong bones causes glitches in the movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.