• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

BossGengar's Model W.I.P Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey! I haven't been really active in modelling, but I've gotten back on track!

This'll be where I put my W.I.P pictures and such. I used to do individual threads for each model I made, but this will be much easier and more accessible than that.

This is the beginnings of a model of a hand,
capture-png.285820

I'm thinking of making two models outta this, either this boss from Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Bongo_Bongo.png

or the Wall-master enemy from the same game

Wallmaster_(Ocarina_of_Time).png

Update 1.1
Okay I have the overall shape of the hand, and will probably finish it soon. Just needs depth on the front of the hand.
Wip1.PNG

Update 1.2
The hand portion is done pretty much. Just needs a few tweaks and polish, overall shape and depth is complete.
WIP4.PNG

Update 1.3 Starting up on the body, not much of Bongo Bongo yet..
WIP.PNG

1.4 I polished up the hand model. Gonna start finalizing the body mesh.
(Not showing a picture, because It doesn't look much different)

Update 1.5 Finally made some headway. It's starting to look more like Bongo Bongo.
Capture.PNG

Update 1.6 Finished up the arms, just need the head.
Capture.PNG

Update 1.7
Starting to make the head, it needs the eye and the "flower skin thingies" still. After this is done it's just putting the puzzle pieces together to finish the base model.
Capture.PNG

Update 1.8
Okay, now it's time to fit the pieces together now that I have the head portion.
Capture2.PNG

Update 1.9
Base model (for the most part) finished!
Capture3.PNG

2.0 Model textured, starting animation.
2.PNG

Bongo Bongo model can be found here

Okay, I want to work on another model, since I've had a lot of free time lately, so might as well start a new one.
This one I'm excited for and I've been wanting to make this one for a while.
I already have the mask for the Skull Kid and I just need to make the body.
I got the legs already! :)
Capture.PNG

Update 1.1 Finishing up on the legs of the base model, starting to lead up to the main body.
Capture.PNG

Update 1.2 Got the torso done, just needs hands, head, hat, and mask (which I already have done.)
Capture2.PNG

Update 1.3 Finished with the base model, might need some polishing, but it's done nonetheless.
Finished.PNG

Update 1.4 Early Texturing of the model.
Capture2.PNG

Update 1.5 Late Texturing of model + pose.
Capture2.PNG

Skull Kid model can be found here

Okay, I've kept this one somewhere in the gutter for a bit, since I never really wanted to finish it, but I don't want it to go to waste so I decided to return on this one. This is a Poe from Ocarina of Time and the base model is already done. I'll just use the shade arms for it. This one won't take as long to make since, I already have the base model done, and it doesn't need a lot of work on the texture.
Capture.PNG

1.1 I'm pretty satisfied on how the texture looks. I'm gonna make a few tweaks to it, but overall it looks pretty similar to the source material.
Capture.PNG

1.2 The Shade arms actually work pretty well.
Capture.PNG

1.3 I've got the Stand animation done. Also made the eyes have team color. (Ignore the cursor in the gif.)
2.gif

1.5 Animation progress
Attack 1:
attack1.gif

Attack: 2
attack2.gif
Stand: 2
stand2.gif
Walk:
Walk.gif
Walk Fast:
Walk Fast.gif

Poe model can be found here

This will be the first Non-Zelda model in a while, but I'm excited to work on this one nonetheless. This is The Shredder (From the 2003 TMNT series) who is the main antagonist for most of the TV series. He's one of my favorite villains and I felt the urge to try to make something like this for a while.

91e461e2aa9689833681e02ad19a2547.jpg

Update 1.0: Here's the start of the the Helmet

Capture.PNG

Update 1.1: I have the Helmet mesh done + shoulderpads,
ShredHed.PNG

and also the sword that he'll use.
Sword of Tengu.png

Update 1.2: Here's the progress on the body. I'm not sure if this is acceptable, but I'll wait until I give this model proper textures.
Watch out for Shredder.PNG

Update 1.3: Alright, i think that the base model is done. I need to find proper textures though. Shouldn't be too hard right?
Shredder with Tengu2.PNG

Update 1.4: Alright, made more tweaks to the model to make it less blocky.

Shredder2.PNG

Update 1.5: Rough Texturing of it. (Not counting the sword)

Capture.PNG

Update 1.6: Redid legs, and changed a few things.

Final2.PNG

Update 1.7: Bone Structure.

Bones.PNG

Shredder model can be found here

After watching Avengers: Infinity War, and seeing how awesome of a villain Thanos was, I felt inspired to do a model of him, since nobody else has.

Update 1.0: I wanted to make the Gauntlet detailed since its an important part of Thanos.

Start of the Fingers:
5.png

Update 1.1: Just need the thumb now.
4.png

Update 1.2: Infinity Gauntlet Base Model Finished
12345.png

Update 1.3: Infinity Gauntlet Textured:
Textured.png

Update 1.4: Body Progress, needs the head
Thanos.png

Update 1.5: Added Head, and a few more detailes:
213.png

Update 1.6 Added NEW Head (Thanks to @Tauer) and Tunic. + Textured

Capture1.PNG

Thanos model can be found here

Getting back onto the Zelda train, I'm going to make an iconic character: Ganondorf. I'm going to be making the Ocarina of Time incarnation of the character.

Update 1.0: Legs and start of the torso:
Capture.PNG

Update 1.1: Added Belt + Start of Torso:
Capture2.PNG

Update 1.2: More progress on the torso needs arms:
Capture3.PNG

Update 1.3: Added arms and Neck, just needs the head and a few more details, then I'll be ready for the texturing process:
Capture4.PNG

Update 1.4: Added Collar, Cape, and sword. Needs head (hardest part)
Capture.PNG

Update 1.5: Early Texturing, some cleaning up to do all around.
Capture.PNG

Update 1.5.5:
Some touch ups all around
Capture.PNG

Update 1.6:
Overhauled most of the textures and made parts more detailed and fleshed out.
Update2.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 972
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 265
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    258.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
It will look better, if he comes from the ground.

I mean this: You have a hole made from shadows on the ground that follows Bongo Bongo. Bongo Bongo's underside will be coming from the ground. The rest is like normal.
It might look better graphically, but it would worse in terms of faithfulness to the source material. It changes his whole geometry.

Level 14
It might look better graphically, but it would worse in terms of faithfulness to the source material. It changes his whole geometry.
Honesty, I'm gonna have to agree with @Kyrbi0. Don't get me wrong @Mister_Haudrauf , I like both ideas, it's just I don't know if it will look like Bongo Bongo when all is said and done if his body is in the ground. However, I can't jump to conclusions just yet, i'll still try to see what both look like before making any decisions.

Level 30

Honesty, I'm gonna have to agree with @Kyrbi0. Don't get me wrong @Mister_Haudrauf , I like both ideas, it's just I don't know if it will look like Bongo Bongo when all is said and done if his body is in the ground. However, I can't jump to conclusions just yet, i'll still try to see what both look like before making any decisions.

Okay I have another Idea: You make him like the Source Material. The Idea is that he comes from a thick Shadow Cloud above the ground, but not to high in the sky. That way we have the faithfulness and it will probably look good.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Which model again?

Basically what you're doing now is wrapping; two great programs for that are Mdlvis & Matrix Eater. I would use Magos to work with the necessary Material/Layers, & to import the necessary in-game textures.

If you are texturing from scratch, I cannot help you.

Level 14
Which model again?

Basically what you're doing now is wrapping; two great programs for that are Mdlvis & Matrix Eater. I would use Magos to work with the necessary Material/Layers, & to import the necessary in-game textures.

If you are texturing from scratch, I cannot help you.

The "Bongo Bongo" one, you can look at a picture in the spoiler tab in the main post.

How do you know what textures to use (since I'm striving to use in-game textures) do you just experiment?

What does "texturing from scratch" mean?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
The "Bongo Bongo" one, you can look at a picture in the spoiler tab in the main post.

How do you know what textures to use (since I'm striving to use in-game textures) do you just experiment?

What does "texturing from scratch" mean?
Ah I see... Many times people will guide the first post like you did, but also put the newest stuff in their most recent posts as well.

Mainly just practice & experience; sometimes people will just comb through the MPQs looking for useful textures. Think of an in-game model that has a similar look (texture-wise) to yours... And find out what textures it uses.

Texturing from scratch is literally *creating* the texture of your model from, well, nothing. Just drawing it from the ground up. Like cooking "from scratch".

Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf @Kyrbi0
Okay, now that I have the base model complete, what's the best way to get textures on the model, and what's the best way to know what textures to use?

For Bongo Bongo? I would use the Slugde Texture for the Body making it darker per GeosetAnimation and for the Eye i would use the Eye texture of the Forgotten One.

Level 14
Ah I see... Many times people will guide the first post like you did, but also put the newest stuff in their most recent posts as well.

Mainly just practice & experience; sometimes people will just comb through the MPQs looking for useful textures. Think of an in-game model that has a similar look (texture-wise) to yours... And find out what textures it uses.

Texturing from scratch is literally *creating* the texture of your model from, well, nothing. Just drawing it from the ground up. Like cooking "from scratch".

I see, I guess i'll see what I can do with the texture then. I'll most likely do what @Mister_Haudrauf suggested.

I'm definitely not doing scratch texturing. (I can't even draw! :eek:)

For Bongo Bongo? I would use the Slugde Texture for the Body making it darker per GeosetAnimation and for the Eye i would use the Eye texture of the Forgotten One.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do my best to see if those could work. :grin:
(I'm positive the eye texture will work)

Level 14
If you want to see how it looks like when colored green, you could try with war3x.MPQ >> Units\Other\DalaranReject\DalaranRejectAcolyte.blp in place of the sludge texture for an easy swap to a green hue.
Not so sure if this looks right.
Capture1.PNG

Oh heck yeah. Good eye, Mister_Haudraf; looking great, Gengar.

I think it should be a little less dark (IIRC Bongo Bongo was more of a sickly corpse-y gray/green), but it's a great texture.

Is there a way to make the texture brighter without editing the texture itself?

Level 14
I'm having trouble coming up with ideas on how the animations should be.
These are the animations I am fine with and are finished.
  • Stand
  • Walk
Not much huh?

I have both Attack Animations done, but they are kinda... lame.
Bongo Bongo just kinda slaps whatever is in front of him. Anyone have any ideas on how his attack animations should be?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well one of the first questions is "with what fidelity will you be recreating the original?" Basically, how much do you want your model to resemble/act like the original?

Secondly, how much do you want it to "fit into" Warcraft 3?

Finally, who's your audience?

The first two are really the same question, just on opposite end of the spectrum.

Level 14
Well one of the first questions is "with what fidelity will you be recreating the original?" Basically, how much do you want your model to resemble/act like the original?

Secondly, how much do you want it to "fit into" Warcraft 3?

Finally, who's your audience?

The first two are really the same question, just on opposite end of the spectrum.

I want the animations to be not weird enough where they could have been in Ocarina of Time back in the day, and nobody would really find it strange. (In other words I'd like to act like the original)

I want the model to feel like the original, but at the same time have the standards of a Warcraft 3 model (Has a death animation, spell animation etc).

I want it to fit into Warcraft 3, but at the same time reference the original source material. (Kind of like my Majora's Mask model.)

My audience is...really anyone who sees the model, but the people who knows what this idea comes from will recognize the animations and such.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I want the animations to be not weird enough where they could have been in Ocarina of Time back in the day, and nobody would really find it strange. (In other words I'd like to act like the original)

I want the model to feel like the original, but at the same time have the standards of a Warcraft 3 model (Has a death animation, spell animation etc).

I want it to fit into Warcraft 3, but at the same time reference the original source material. (Kind of like my Majora's Mask model.)

My audience is...really anyone who sees the model, but the people who knows what this idea comes from will recognize the animations and such.
Alright, good. Answering those questions gives me (but hopefully also you) a better idea of what you actually want these animations to achieve.

The standard, required anims for something like this would be:
Stand
Walk
Attack
Death
Decay Flesh/Bone//Dissipate

After that, Spell animation(s) & Stand Ready are the next-most important, followed by stuff like Stand Channel, Attack Slam, and finally all the additional Stands/Attacks. (This is ignoring any potential other animation/sets you can think of (like Morph, Alternate, or Swim).

So that being said... I should probably actually make some suggestions. Lol.

~~~

For *Stand*, my first inclination was to have him beating his hands (as he does) right from the get-go. While that would be most true to the source material, you made a good judgement call in maintaining it should look good in Warcraft 3; so I suggest just your standard *Stand* (hands & body relatively still).
I would, though, highly suggest you include a solid *Stand Ready*, where he's beating his hands rhythmically between Attacks.
(I could be wrong on this one)

*Attack* should involve some kind of slam, slap, punch, etc (hopefully all of the above). A "flick" if you get crazy, a "clapping you between his two hands" would make a great Attack Slam.

*Death*... Can't remember how he dies in game. Depending on how epic you want this model to be, it could be as simple as him evaporating (ala the Dreadlord), or much more dramatic (shuddering, twitching, etc).

*Decay Flesh-Bone/Dissipate* is important. One or the other... Or both if you wanna be nice; though honestly you might be able to get away with them being the same, since technically he's a spirit IIRC ;P

*Walk* is tricky; in OoT he's stationary, but you might need him to move in Wc3. Perhaps some simply ghostly fluttering, with some decent cloudy SFX? Alternatively having him drag himself along the ground with his disembodied hands might be cool...

*Spell* anims can be the most fun. Intricate finger motions (FINGER GUNS! Cats Cradle, Jazz hands, etc), creepy eye tricks with those weird flower-petal eyelids... Etc.

*Stand* anims also represent fertile ground for creativity; cracking his knuckles, blinking, starting, rock-paper-scissors, glaring... All good.

Hope that helps!

Level 14
Alright, good. Answering those questions gives me (but hopefully also you) a better idea of what you actually want these animations to achieve.

The standard, required anims for something like this would be:
Stand
Walk
Attack
Death
Decay Flesh/Bone//Dissipate

After that, Spell animation(s) & Stand Ready are the next-most important, followed by stuff like Stand Channel, Attack Slam, and finally all the additional Stands/Attacks. (This is ignoring any potential other animation/sets you can think of (like Morph, Alternate, or Swim).

So that being said... I should probably actually make some suggestions. Lol.

~~~

For *Stand*, my first inclination was to have him beating his hands (as he does) right from the get-go. While that would be most true to the source material, you made a good judgement call in maintaining it should look good in Warcraft 3; so I suggest just your standard *Stand* (hands & body relatively still).
I would, though, highly suggest you include a solid *Stand Ready*, where he's beating his hands rhythmically between Attacks.
(I could be wrong on this one)

*Attack* should involve some kind of slam, slap, punch, etc (hopefully all of the above). A "flick" if you get crazy, a "clapping you between his two hands" would make a great Attack Slam.

*Death*... Can't remember how he dies in game. Depending on how epic you want this model to be, it could be as simple as him evaporating (ala the Dreadlord), or much more dramatic (shuddering, twitching, etc).

*Decay Flesh-Bone/Dissipate* is important. One or the other... Or both if you wanna be nice; though honestly you might be able to get away with them being the same, since technically he's a spirit IIRC ;P

*Walk* is tricky; in OoT he's stationary, but you might need him to move in Wc3. Perhaps some simply ghostly fluttering, with some decent cloudy SFX? Alternatively having him drag himself along the ground with his disembodied hands might be cool...

*Spell* anims can be the most fun. Intricate finger motions (FINGER GUNS! Cats Cradle, Jazz hands, etc), creepy eye tricks with those weird flower-petal eyelids... Etc.

*Stand* anims also represent fertile ground for creativity; cracking his knuckles, blinking, starting, rock-paper-scissors, glaring... All good.

Hope that helps!

Wow! Thanks for all of those ideas! I'll take an extra long time for the animations to make them as high-quality as possible!
Unfortunately I did support blinking with the flower skin thingies, I think I'll just need to add bones now.

Thanks again!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Wow! Thanks for all of those ideas! I'll take an extra long time for the animations to make them as high-quality as possible!
Unfortunately I did support blinking with the flower skin thingies, I think I'll just need to add bones now.

Thanks again!
No problem.

Another thing I just thought of; you could incorporate a series of differently paced drumming animations (i.e. faster and/or slower). Possibly in Alternate anims.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
@Kyrbi0
I need some help on how I should go with fixing the texture. (Or whether or not I should)

Should I get someone else to do it since I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm wrapping it. Or somehow get a custom texture that's not as messy.
It's hard to say; I agree with HappyTauren that it's kind of intentional, but some parts look worse than others... Honestly I'm not all that good at wrapping myself. :<

Level 11
I feel like wrapping with in-game textures is all about luck some times. It's messy, frustrating, and time consuming but I think it's fun too when you land on something that fits. If you ever decide to do skullkid (I'd use a slightly modified model of him in a future project maybe) I'd love to help out with the wrap if you wanted, I've gotten lucky before...

Status
Not open for further replies.