• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kount's WIP & Model Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey folks.

First of all, I'm still pretty much a noob, so don't expect any awesome stuff here. I don't want to show off my enormous skills, but much rather I'm asking for opinions, advices and critique that might help me to improve myself.
I'm probably also going to ask some specific questions here.

I will try to cover different techniques (modelediting, from-scratch-modeling, animating, animation transfers, texturing...) to get the most practice possible out of it.

Finished Models

Witch of the Swamps

This model was made for the 128 triangle mini-contest, but maybe someone can find a use for it.

WIPs

Reptile Skirmisher

67646d1255791846-kounts-wip-model-gallery-3dsmax-2009-10-17-16-41-34-84.avi.gif

Reptile Behemoth

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm using two materials that both use the same texture, but work with different settings, I guess it's counted twice. The texture itself currently is 684kb with 512*512, but I'm only using half of it, it'll be 512*256 in the end. I just don't have enough experience to be able to tell how big a texture I'm going to need, so I just start off with 512^2.

Concerning teamcolor, shield would work I guess, but I have to find out how to make semi-transparent teamcolor so that the shield's structure won't get lost.

And no, it's not exported, every single bit is made from scratch. This is actually the first model I did in 3dsmax (used ms3d before), and I used the torso I created by doing this tutorial as a basis.

Level 31
Why does it burn up on it's decay animation?

Model is pretty good. TC is really kinda unique to each model, but the most common places it's put is Sheilds and Shoulders. As DevineArmy aptly put it, a few of the animations are stiff. Mostly the first two attack animations.

One other thing I would add just a personal thing is that the feet look small. I'd lengthen the toes out a bit.

Level 4
Why does it burn up on it's decay animation

This model is part of a series of models fitting an over-all concept (explained here). Basically, I try to inherit ancient greek warfare, mythology, culture etc. People in ancient greece feared the wrath of the dead's spirit if their body wasn't burried/burned properly, letting a fellow comrade decay would have been a no-go. So they burn the corpses. (-> Wikipedia)

Concerning attack-animations I will try to include more overall motion. They were intended to be the basics, but I guess I got them too simple.

Thanks for responses everyone. : )

Level 5
Well even just around the edge of the shield would be good for team color.

Kind of reminds me of those damn jumper things you would fight in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time. In that one dungeon in the mountains as a kid there was those rooms with the circle platforms, and they would jump around them.

Good wips you got there. I have some suggestions for you to improve, though.
Walk animations the are hardest, I know. But there's a tool named Warcraft3Viewer. It can open models in the mpq (and out of it) and play animation in slow motion. Grab a Blizzard model with similar animations and look at it closely, in a very slow pace, adjusting it on the speed meter. You will notice how each part should move and when, exactly. It will make you life much easier, believe me.

Level 4
Thanks for the feedback !

I will revisit the animations regarding the points you mentioned, I guess especially the walk-anim could be completely redone. (Never animated anything before and started with walk on this one, it's pretty much the result of 2h of cluelessly rotating bones)

I'd really like some feedback on the texture though. I dislike it, but have no idea how to improve it.

Level 4

Update

I haven't abandoned this, I just had no internet the last one and a half weeks and also worked on that ultralowpoly-contest.

Anyway, thanks for all the very helpful responses.

@ DvO: Thanks a lot for that advice, I didn't even know about smoothing groups or how to use them :hohum:

@ HappyCockroach: Thanks to you, too. I never used the viewer, only magos, but that feature is great!

@ All those giving advices concerning animations: I decided to completely re-rig and re-animate the model. I thank you for your opinions and I'm trying to use your advices.

I also improved the Unwrap (Legs, Arms, Torso), Topology (Chest, Arms, Head) and Texture (Legs, Arms, Torso). Furthermore, I added Teamcolor (not on the shield, I liked the idea but couldn't make itwork). I still need to put much work into the Sword and the Feet.

Animations are about 40% done, he's going to have the same as before, but smoother, cleaner and more natural.

new.png
new2.png

ps: sorry for the small picture, I'm currently working on my 10" netbook, screenshots really suck

pps: the tricount in the previewer is wrong. It's about 900 in reality.

Time for a question I'm having:

# Link Constrains: When I use them, every animation up to that point is completely messed up for the bones I'm using the constrains on. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Level 4
Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I had little time lately.

Anyway, a little update here.

First, the Skirmisher is pretty much done, here are the new animations (should have zoomed in further :/):

3dsmax 2009-10-17 16-41-34-84.avi.GIF

Feel free to comment anything you still dislike.

Second, I began working on another model, it's a very early WIP. I'm going to add more armor and maybe some Weapons. Also most parts of the texture are far from done.

Reptile Behemoth

wip.png

The Polycount is 902, despite what the screenshot tells. I will try to give him either Tauren Chieftain's or Pitlord's animation, but I'm afraid neither of them will look good (TC has no tail, Pitlord too many legs :wink:)

Kount

Attachments

• Skirmisher.mdx
    88.4 KB · Views: 72
  • skirmisher.blp
    171.8 KB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.