• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unsatisfied? Post Your Own Patch Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I've been reading a thread at Sclegacy.com, namely this one that suggested everyone to make up a patch that would, in their opinion, would fix most of the balance and fun-factor problems with the beta.

The idea would be more-or-less the same here, but with a slight twist: To prove your point, actually try to make the patch you posted in a costum map, and upload it here! It would go far to prove your point, and could actually turn out some altered melees that might actually be more fun/balanced than the real thing!

I'd even propose a prize, but I'm just a lowly peon, and have nothing but critique and a small amount of rep to offer. Sorry! ^^

I'll start with the actual patch notes, and I'll start working on my own version after the hectic RL stuff I'm currently having have passed:

• Terran

- Vikings:
    Vikings can be now built in the factory as well as the starport, landing/getting airborne, however is dependant on actually having a factory/starport.

- Recoil Turret (Upgrade) <100 Min|150 Gas|60 sec>
    Hellions can fire while moving. Its' researched at the Factory Tech Lab, and requires an Armory to begin research.

- Thor
    The supply cost has been lowered by 2, but now has to switch between anti-air and ground attack modes, each taking roughly five seconds.
  • Zerg

- Roach
    The roach is slightly larger and has a bigger healthpool. His normal attack is now a melee slash, and his old attack has been reworked into a "corroding spit" attack that decimates small (two-by-two) structures and vehicles.

- Creep Glands (Upgrade) <100 Min|100 Gas|60 sec>
    Overlord can now spew creep while moving, leaving a trail of creep that dissolves faster than the normal creep. Requires Hive to research.

-Overseer
    The overseer gains an ability called Dark Swarm. The overseer must remain above the dark swarmed area to channel it. It takes 2 energy/ingame second. Every ground unit takes only a single damage from any ranged attack within the swarm, as well as from any splash or special abilities.

-Infestor
    Spawn infested terran has been replaced with Infest: a channeled ability that disables the target structure or vehicle until the effect is canceled, the Infestor moves away, or is killed. A single infestor can infest up to two things at the same time.

-Paternal Sacks (Upgrade) <150 Min|200 Gas|90 sec>
    This upgrade is now required to allow the Broodlord to store up to two broodlings for the first attack. Researched at the Greater Spire.

- Corruptor
    The corruptors' corruption ability has been decreased to only 10% extra incoming damage, but is now a passive ability, with no energy requirements, instantly corrupting the target when attacking.

- Ultralisk
    Ultralisks gain a passive siegebreaker ability that allows them to run through forcefields, destroying them in the proccess, although drasticly slowing down the Ultralisk for roughly three seconds.
  • Protoss

- Dark Shrine
    Now costs <125 Min|200 Gas|100 sec>

- Dark Templar
    Now cost <125 Min|100 Gas|50 sec>, but cannot attack structures.

- Nerazim Blades (Upgrade) <200 Min|150 Gas|75 sec>
    This reseach allows the Dark Templar to attack structures. Reseachable at the Dark Shrine.

- Phoenix
    The Phoenix now doesn't attack while moving. Instead, it begins to charge it's attack as soon a targetable enemy unit is just out of range, allowing the Phoenix to, when controled correctly, always fire off the first shot.

- Void Ray
    Void Rays now charge to full power in six seconds, however, they also gained an "abilty" called <Null Void Capacitors>, that slows down the Void Rays' charging by one second for every other Void Ray within a 3.0 vicinity.

- Mothership
    The cloak field radius has been shrunk by roughly 10%, however, the Mothership now has 400 hitpoints and the shield has been increased to 450. The mothership also has a new area-targeted ability called <Psi Supression Field>, that disallows any casters to cast within the area. Costs 100 energy.

As always, any feedback to the idea, my own post, or anything is more than welcome! ^^

Last edited:
Level 22
I won't get long. However, there are whiners that just annoy me with crying how it's not like starcraft 1. So my suggestions are just:

Zerg
Added Lurker unit

Protoss: Arbiter added, replaces Mothership for multiplayer games (idea of st]yoda from blizzard forums)

Terran:
Added Lockdown ability to ghost

That's imo + max maybe 1-2 units comeback per race that may be needed. Other than that, I h8 to see 'make it like sc1'.

Level 4
My opinion, exactly like above, except one added unit. The basatron from april fools. :grin:

But in all seriousness, I agree with the above, and think the basatron should be a bonus unit in the galaxy editor.

Level 10
The Terratron might make an apearance in the retail Galaxy editor, but even if it does, it wont be such a hardcore hit as it looked. Just warning you ahead of time! ;)

And TheTerran, Icwhutudidthar, but seriously, what WOULD make melee more fun for you, for example?

Level 11
hiho,

my wished changelog for patch #13:

• Fixed all editor glitches and bugs.
  • Added important native functions to Galaxy.
  • Increased the bank value storage in multiplayer limit to an unreachable value.
  • Added more terrain textures and doodads.
  • Greatly decreased the delay in multiplayer games for some events such as Mouse Locking and Button Press events.

Zerg:
  • Ultralisks now have got a new tanks role in the army due to the fact that one siege unit (Brood Lord) is enough for a race. They are similar to the mountain giants in warcraft 3.

Protoss:
  • Rebalanced all Protoss units! xD

:p

Robbepop

Level 10
With possibly the exeption of the multiplayer delay, I think pretty much all you said actually has a possiblity to come into existance in the retail version, however, I have one question: Why and how would you rebalance ALL the Toss units?! D:

Level 11
hiho,

im playing as zerg and sometimes im just think that my crap units haven't got a bit of a chance against those mighty protoss units.
there is nothing nasty with zerg units it is just the mass of units and in 200/200 games that counts nothing... :-/

@bboy-tiger-:
it was more ment to be fun.^^
atm i moved back to wc3 because of all the bugs, missing features and functions etc... -.-

Robbepop

Level 10
The zerg need a bit more fleshing out, I agree with that, but blizzard, by all probabilty, will not make a new unit before retail hits. To me, the zerg seem to be technically cut in half, with a crapload of stuff that would be needed and loved held back for the expansions.

If blizzard was actually hellbent on adding to the Zerg, there are quite a few Single Player models (the Brutalisk, for example), that could be added, but I tried to go with a more tame, and actually deliverable patch. Not that blizzard will ever read it, but atleast I'll be able to make the "patch" myself if I ever get the sweet time to actually learn the bloody Galaxy editor.

On that note: Galaxy knows infinitely more than the classic World Editor. We just have a crapload of apps and years of experience behind our belt. It's easy that way! :p

Level 10
Patch looping bug? Do you mean the fact that all patches upload one-by-one but you see the latest patchnotes, or the bug that can usually be fixed by restarting your computer?

I haven't come across any other patching problems myself, so excuse my blindness when it comes to this topic! ><

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
My patch... well...

* Can now create custom script object in the trigger editor which is an entire window where custom script can be entered. Also has various options for the script including private namespace (appends a prefix to all names difined in the scope) and initial entry function (called on map start).

Thats all that is really needed in a patch 14.

Level 10
The Galaxy equivalent of vJass will rock everyones' world. You just have to give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
Look at the maps made during the begining of RoC compared to the ones today. Time, is the key.

Level 11
My patch... well...

* Can now create custom script object in the trigger editor which is an entire window where custom script can be entered. Also has various options for the script including private namespace (appends a prefix to all names difined in the scope) and initial entry function (called on map start).

Thats all that is really needed in a patch 14.
QFT.

Haven't even bothered with coding yet because of this.

Level 40
Only really care about melee at the moment, so here goes. Assuming Patch 12 as a base point since I think a lot of the Patch 13 changes went the wrong direction.

Balance Changes

Terran
  • Decreased the cost of Combat Shields to 100/100.

• Decreased the cost of Stim Packs to 125/125.

• Decreased the cost of Ghosts to 100/150.

• Reapers may be built from a barracks with a reactor at the normal rate of two units at a time.

Protoss
  • Decreased Void Ray move speed from 2.25 to 2.00

• Decreased Void Ray range from 7 to 6.

• Force Field is now destructible by massive units walking through it.

Zerg
  • When Chitonous Plating is researched, the Ultralisk cannot take more than 200 damage per second.

• Ultralisk damage reduced from 25 to 20.

Small Zerg and Terran buffs, much-needed Protoss nerfs. Attempts to make the Reaper not suck any time outside of rushes, and the buff shouldn't affect rushes since the reactor takes way longer to build than the tech lab.

Also, Terran really needs a Goliath-style unit since TvT is currently viking spam.

Level 22
Im also not satisfied with some of the editor features like missing basic triggers and how many things you have to go through for just changing the model and similar issues.

Reaper from reactor would be imba though :)
Thor are the goliaths.. they use them in TvT sometimes and vikings assault mode many will die to just one thor.

I think Bcruiser needs more power to become the perfect counter to carriers. Not that I play vs carriers but when someone happens to make just 6 carriers with stalkers and voidrays the rest in 200 limit, it's unstoppable.

This time im gonna wait for some fixing to the mass drops before I start my placement and will try to get higher league directly. I mean when Bronze was the 2nd worst I ranked myself 4th after making 10 wins in a row the only losses being disconnections, that I reported even in patch 12 but without result. Without the disconnections I could've mvoed. My Silver were even worse than my bronze opponents. I dont think I belong to Bronze or Silver, and since Gold is the new Silver, not even Gold. Platinum ftw.

Level 40
How would reactor reapers be imbalanced? Currently they are terrible any time outside of a rush, in which case a reactor wouldn't be viable due to the extra gas cost and the extra build time. The main reason for this terribleness is not ineffectiveness (they are very good against units such as hydralisks) but because you just can't make enough of them since their build time is so long to stop reaper rush being absurd.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
At one stage people were complaining and spamming the battlenet boards about how rigged reapers were lol (like usual, currently its maruarders they are doing).

Is it not something like reapers are moderatly effective against buildings? Maybe it would be possible to destroy an opponents expansion just as they start building it using them due to their cliff jump ability (obviously decent recon would let you counter this).

Level 11
If you were afraid of reactor reapers being rigged, they could just add in that you need a tech lab first in order to build them from reactor rax.

BC are effective, I like using them vs Thors because of Yamato. Mixing them with Mutalisks is a powerful combo, BC's can soak up hits and take down the main threats to mutas, while mutas can deal good damage and quickly eliminate swarms of small units.

EDIT: On a side note, it would be nice if Blizz made nukes at least somewhat viable. I have never seen a nuke used, aside from one placement match against a bronze guy in 2v2 and a few games where I've tried to use em. Generally, those games I lose horribly.

Level 40
No, it's that you can do a fast reaper rush which can be very devastating to the opponent's economy, which as I detail over and over this addition would not in any way, shape, or form help:

• You need to get your reapers out as soon as possible, or they will have enough marines/stalkers/queens to counter your reapers.

• The Reactor takes much longer to build than the Tech Lab and thus would mean your first reaper(s) would come out substantially later, and the harass begins as soon as your first reaper is out the door.

• The Reactor costs 25 more gas than the Tech Lab, and seeing as you are tight on gas as it is this means a Reactor, on top of taking longer to build than a Tech Lab, would be started later than a Tech Lab.

• You don't have enough gas to build two Reapers simultaneously at that stage in the game--you barely have enough to keep them coming from a Tech Lab.

Level 22
If you were afraid of reactor reapers being rigged, they could just add in that you need a tech lab first in order to build them from reactor rax.

BC are effective, I like using them vs Thors because of Yamato. Mixing them with Mutalisks is a powerful combo, BC's can soak up hits and take down the main threats to mutas, while mutas can deal good damage and quickly eliminate swarms of small units.

EDIT: On a side note, it would be nice if Blizz made nukes at least somewhat viable. I have never seen a nuke used, aside from one placement match against a bronze guy in 2v2 and a few games where I've tried to use em. Generally, those games I lose horribly.

Well, you cant make a unit require lab and yet use with reactor. They could make them from reactor. I agree that Barracks needs another unit with reactor... Port and factory r fine but rax needs 1 unit more and since marauders and ghosts cant be those, reaper could be.

Nuclears are not detectable. You dont hear 'nuclear launch detected' am i right? Only if you find the ghost.. this needs fixing

And im completely against those stupid threads at battlenet forums about 'terran uses too cheap gas', 'marauders need to cost more gas'. Ohh i feel like bashing them cause in 70% they re meaning it. not just trolling. But pointless to waste my time with clueless newbies, so i suggest dont even read SC2GDF

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They can say what ever they want as it is a free world, it does not even have to make sense what they are saying. Equally well they do not need to be listened to and that is largly what blizzard is doing. Blizzard has prety much stated all they listen to are the top ranked people in leagues like dimond and platinum and stuff as they are most likly to know what is wrong as they are the closest to perfection you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.