• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Two Mur'gul Slave models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Multiple Mur'gul Slave models?

I noticed there are two different versions of the Mur'gul Slave model.
The first one has few small spikes on its back:
Murgul Slave.JPG
The second one has much longer spikes, like all other Mur'guls:
Murgul Slave2.JPG
I only have the one with small spikes and i saw the other one all over the internet. Is the other one previous or beta version, or is it hidden somewhere in the MPQ? I would really like to have the other one, can i get it somehow?

Last edited:
Level 21
RGB tint can darken, but can't lighten units (because white tint is impossible). By the way it is the only weaponless and shieldless mur'gul, and even if I change the texture of a different one, it would have completely different animations (Other mur'guls and murlocs don't have gold carrying, lumber carrying, work/repair,... animations, so they can't be worker/builder units). Also, the second one has more sinister looking face (visible on my screenshot), and just looks cooler than the first one, imo.

Level 21
Sadly they don't appear in campaign maps, well not in my campaign at least.
I attached some new screenshots of the model:
Bad Screenshot.JPG
Bad Screenshot 2.jpg
I also found out another mysterious murloc model exists(or existed).
It has a flipper thing on its back instead of spikes:
Mysterious murloc2.jpg
Does anyone know what happened to these models and are they even possible to find?

Last edited:
Level 21
If you go to the object editor under the model file you'll find extra versions. If you double click it you will get two boxes one will say Frozen Throne the other Reign of Chaos. The RoC is the flipper one the Frozen Throne the spiked one.
Mur'gul Slave model does not have any versions i already checked that field (Art - Model File - Extra Versions) and browsed the MPQ archive but nothing.

Last edited:
Level 21
Last edited:
Yes, those MPQ's are inside war3.mpq and war3x.mpq.

In war3.mpq, it should be in the root directory named "War3_low.mpq" and "War3_med.mpq", then you can just open those and navigate the files. In war3x.mpq, they should be named "War3x_low.mpq" and "War3x_med.mpq".

If you don't see those in the main folder, then you may be using an incomplete listfile. Just say what MPQ editor you're using, and we can give you instructions on how to view those mpq's. After that, it is as simple as opening the mpq, finding the model, extracting it, and using it in your map.

Level 21
Yes, those MPQ's are inside war3.mpq and war3x.mpq.

In war3.mpq, it should be in the root directory named "War3_low.mpq" and "War3_med.mpq", then you can just open those and navigate the files. In war3x.mpq, they should be named "War3x_low.mpq" and "War3x_med.mpq".

If you don't see those in the main folder, then you may be using an incomplete listfile. Just say what MPQ editor you're using, and we can give you instructions on how to view those mpq's. After that, it is as simple as opening the mpq, finding the model, extracting it, and using it in your map.
Thank you for your detailed explanation, mighty moderator (+rep).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.