• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tides of Blood: Version O Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Some of you may remember a map called "Tides of Blood".
Some of you may even remember that we where working on a new version.

After more then three years of waiting, it is finally here!

loadingscreeninternet.jpg

Basic Premise
No story, straightforward 6 versus 6, Undead versus Alliance "AoS" style action. Tides of blood has always perused quality over quantity and our goal is to bring a very limited amount of characters that have all been honed and tweaked to perfection, and actually have a little character.

Tides of Blood is about teamwork. Gold bounties from kills are distributed amongst contributes, and we try to make popular tactics as "last hitting" and "denying" as ineffective as we can. We want players to focus on actually playing the game.

----

New Features
For tides of blood version O, a lot of unique new systems have been developed to make the gameplay we wanted to bring possible.

Gameplay & Character selection screens.
No hassle with taverns, no hassle with moving shades around or clicking heroes. Tides of Blood now features an actual interface from which to select your character!
A video can be found here.

Socketed Items.
No complicated recepies you have to learn, no dozens of cluttered shops. Simply buy a socketed item, buy a gem, drag & drop to combine. It's that simple.

Projectile & Spell Systems.
Every spell and even every projectile fired is driven by tides of bloods own systems. This means we get to manipulate spells in ways you've never seen before. Spell criticals, scaling spell damage, spell and projectile reflection, even slowing everything down in mid-flight is now possible!
One outstanding Example of these systems combined is the Reliquary, An item in wich you can store a spell to save it for later use.

Blood Meter
Every character now has a "Blood Meter". As you deal damage and cast spells, the blood meter slowly fills up. Using the "Blood Bath" ability will empty your blood meter, and temporarily boost your attack damage, spell power and health. The more blood you had saved up, the greater the effect.
click for a video.

----

In this first release of the beta version, all of the systems are in place with a limited selection of items and characters to play around with. As the final bugs are smoothed out and the game is slowly balanced, the team will start adding more content.

DOWNLOAD:
Simply go down to tidesofblood.com and visit this thread.
Please do consider this is our first public beta version, there are still balance issues and there are still bugs, and that's why we need you to play it and tell us your concerns, ideas, suggestions, thoughts or experiences.

Your best bet to find a game is on the US-East server, in a channel simply named "tob". That's where i and some of the other guys on or related to the tides of blood team hang, anyway. Drop by and say hi!

We hope you have a good time with it!

Tides of blood is made by Cassiel, Kaz & Windigo, featuring art by Jacinthe & erwtenpeller.

Last edited:
Level 25
Inquisitor pwns so hard against casters it isn't even funny. And the Autumn guy doesn't really deal all that much damage IMO. I was getting dominated as him. Still better than DotA though. Thank GOD for no creeps and just waves of troops... which you can upgrade!

Level 12
Autumn guy doesn't really deal all that much damage IMO.
I've seen him do some pretty awesome things. He's not that powerful versus heroes, but it's a lot of fun to find a huge enemy creep wave, use bloodbath + kudzu to instantly turn enemy creeps into a bunch of super-powered friendly trees, and then teleport them all straight into the enemy expansion. ^^

New ToB is boring.
Please elaborate. We appreciate all the feedback we can get, but it's not very nice to just come in and post an insult.

Level 24
Will do:
[email protected] forums said:
Ye found it.
I feel slightly dissapointed now after trying it. I has simply just turned out into a boring generic aos map, with exception of the art which is delicious and eatable. It also has some pretty cool features such as single spell coldown reset system and an own projectile system. Well other then those few things there isnt really much to brag about when it comes to ToB O.

The items are just boring, as there are not any activeable items and buying items itself doesnt really seem to benefit much compared to buying barracks units instead.

The spells too are pretty boring and individually they look pretty good, but mixed togheter to form what we call a hero... they are terrible. There are also simply too many point and click spells as Dio mentioned.
Oh and meat hook for Jimmy? seriously?!

The terrain does look more sexy now, but there is not really much of an improvement to it in terms of gameplay. Cliff sight advantage... is gone... Even though there are lots of trees inbetween lanes they dont really have much of a function except for light juking because the paths are so solid.

You can not buy units either, except for a lonely pack horse (yay..). Personally i hoped to see more micromanagement in ToB with more combat orientated units. Like having a small mob running around with your hero.

TL;DR: version, its basicly a shitty copy of Desert of Exile.

edit:
If you want to try make a fun and good hero designwise, try to make all the spells synergise well or make them differ in a way to make it interesting. This is something i have done in my map on absolutely hero to try make them interesting. Try avoid making all spells deal damage and make some buff heroes or add transport spells (Druid seems pretty good there, but has high CD's).
Let make take some give 2 examples of well designed heroes:
-Death Knight/Accursed (DotA/HoN)
Why? because hes very versatile and have lots of different playstyles depending on how the player plays him. He can play as a tanker, effective chaser, supporter and almost anything (Note that DotA in the first place is very static in terms of heroes and their roles, versatile heroes are almost non-existant).

-Corpse Warden (DoE, cant remember her name)
Why? because she has a VERY broad amount of different synergies within her spells which allows countless of different tricks and that is just without even combining items into her.

Level 12
Thank you for your feedback, but i don't know those characters you used as an example, so i can't really relate to what you are trying to say. Maybe you could summarize those characters for us so we can actually know what we're talking about?

All of your comments are very legit. We are aware the map still has a lot of problems, and that is why this beta is now available to the public, so we can get some feedback on all our new features.

So keep it coming!

Level 15
I kinda agree with what is said.

ToB used to be the talk of Battle.net. Before I even joined WC3, it was probably a legend. I tried it out a few times, and watched some videos. Totally awesome.

Now, when I try the new version, I'm somewhat very disappointed. The Blood Mage I tried was practically a melee game hero. The only difference is that he doesn't use mana. I mean, seriously, a Shockwave thing, a Water Elemental thing, some skill that makes you a crazy tank (taking 10 damage from towers) by stacking health, and some Ultimate that doesn't really have anything other than damage. it seemed like some hero concept that was worked out in five minutes, with hp cost as its only selling point.

I strongly suggest adding additional functionality to the spells, instead of just doing 1 thing. Stuff like being able to explode the Blood Elemental or causing the Crimson wave to transport Elementals along. These are merely suggestions from someone who isn't used to the ToB style, but you get the idea of adding more functionality.

BTW, the hero that Nudl9 mentioned has these abilities:
Death Coil- Does damage/heals target. Damages self.
Apothic Shield- Creates a shield that abosorbs damage. When it breaks, nearby enemies are damaged for the max life of the shield.
Frostmourne- Attacks slow target. Allies that attack the slowed target gains speed.
Borrowed Time- When activated, all damage is converted to healing. Auto activated when your health falls below 400.

So basically, you can go "caster" by taking the first two abilities. Chaser by going for Apothic Shield and Frostmourne. The caster build can also support. Tank builds rely on his Ultimate etc.

Level 25
As far as Line of Sight being a problem near 'cliffs' and hills, you can use Line of Sight blockers to try to fix the problem.

And I agree with Nudl9, I miss being able to hire henchmen! Oh and why is Blood reset to default WarCraft III Lumber?

Level 12
The Blood Mage I tried was practically a melee game hero. The only difference is that he doesn't use mana. I mean, seriously, a Shockwave thing, a Water Elemental thing, some skill that makes you a crazy tank (taking 10 damage from towers) by stacking health, and some Ultimate that doesn't really have anything other than damage. it seemed like some hero concept that was worked out in five minutes, with hp cost as its only selling point.
This is something that we really like though. The bloodmage has a solid skill set. Every ability has its place, and there is plenty of freedom to build him up as you please. We like to keep abilities relatively simple, but really well presented.

Level 24
Ah sorry, i assumed you had tested some of the AOS maps out there.

Bone Collector - Vela Exotrah (had to go find the name)
Ability 1: Rigor Mortis (Teleports to corpses in aoe and explodes them)
Ability 2: Bone Prison (Creates several wall units around target which can be killed to escape from the prison)
Ability 3: Rake Armor (Lowers armor for X seconds, a bit lame ability imo)
Ultimate: Transversal (Switches position with target unit)
Now what she can do with these spells is that she can blink enemies into her allies if she stands nearby corpses by using transversal first and rigor mortis soon afterwards back to the position. Transversal can also be used on the bone prison walls in order to be able to hit the target while its still trapped.

As for Death Knight/Accursed abilities he cant be viewed here.
The hero flows very well while playing because Cauterize can be used to buff ulti aswell as break the shield when you try hit an enemy. His shield and ultimate allows him to run pretty much endlessly chasing heroes while blowing damage at them. Hes pretty much unkillable if played well and is fun for mindgame play (tricking your enemy into thinking they can kill you, baiting, stuff like that).

You should check out the AOS maps Rise of Winterchill by Softmints and Desert of Exile by Rising Dusk (assuming you have atleast heard of it), both very noteworthy AOS maps. Good inspiring maps.

Anyhoe my point wasnt to brag about how good they were, let me instead try pinpoint the positive/negative things about the ToB heroes.

Autumn Druid:
His effects are pretty cool, but the problem with him is that he is an intelligence hero and he got like only 1 spell the way i look at it. Because the other spells have too high coldowns. What you should do with him is making the passive an active ability and replace the Tornado with the ultimate. As a global transport spell is far more powerfull.

Battle Rouser:
Cant say more then reduce the stun time on Browbeat, 4 seconds is way too long. A stun should max last 3.2 seconds. You should make Butthead a point target spell, it would make the hero alot more fun to play as it would require some skills to hit running heroes (make it possible to destroy trees in the path aswell).

Ancient Mariner:
I miss his crabs.
Culverine would be much more fun as a point and target spell with projectile honestly.
Passive, remove it or replace it, whatever... just do something about it, its terrible!

Moon Disciple:
I miss his slow aura activate/deactivate spell (try keep passives on int heroes to a minimum), but of course it wouldnt fit too well with his ultimate because it would slow the shit out of enemy units. So i got a lil idea, why not try make a spell... which reflects all projectiles in front of the hero? It would synergise well with the ultimate.

Jimmy eats the world:
Jimmy oh thou abuseable hero <3
Remove meat hook and add back my dear corpse eating spell, i know its a bit boring spell, but hell it works and make him more dureable and more of a tank. If you do remove the meat hook, add slow to the cleaver. Might wanna remove the ultimate too and replace it with something more neat.

Phantom Queen:
Not sure how to comment on her, shes just all boring. The old ranger was abuseable though.

Oh and please do not change warden or leto.
I think of them as one of ToB's trademark heroes.

edit:
Some small things that bothers me:
-Change Ancient Mariner's voice into something more crazy instead of his current deep dark voice, it would fit better with his crazy look.
-Same goes for The Inquisitor's voice, its too light... make it more dark and rusky.
-Blood O Meter is too big, make it 25% smaller or so.
-Blood Wake thingy should be faster, would also be neat if it slowed to make it differ from the other spells.

Level 8
Nudl9, I disagree with almost all you've just said.

Autumn Emmisary kicks ass. If you were complaining on no synergies, then this guy is probably the best example you're wrong. Gone with the Wind (aka the global transport spell) shouldn't have a small cooldown, and the fact that it can carry both the hero and his treants makes it of excellent use. Wanna escape from a dangerous situation, or gank some ass? You decide! Hell, you can jump in, use Kudzu, create a ton of treants and heal your life to survive. Now that owns!

As for the duration of disables, yes, they are high, but that's about to change, as this is the first of many betas.

Ancient Mariner has no passives.

I don't like adding more that 2 effects on spell, it just gets confusion.
But I would like to see the Blood Elements and Crimson Wake do some stuff together like Zack1996 said.
Imagine, if a Blood Element stands on a point where a Crimson Wake erupts, that it will launch him away in the direction of a Crimson Wake. I wonder how would that play.

Level 4
As far as Line of Sight being a problem near 'cliffs' and hills, you can use Line of Sight blockers to try to fix the problem.

And I agree with Nudl9, I miss being able to hire henchmen! Oh and why is Blood reset to default WarCraft III Lumber?

Wrong. LoS blockers blocks sight from both sides, cliffs blocks sight only from one, from the upper terrain.

Level 24
Autumn Emmisary kicks ass. If you were complaining on no synergies, then this guy is probably the best example you're wrong. Gone with the Wind (aka the global transport spell) shouldn't have a small cooldown, and the fact that it can carry both the hero and his treants makes it of excellent use. Wanna escape from a dangerous situation, or gank some ass? You decide! Hell, you can jump in, use Kudzu, create a ton of treants and heal your life to survive. Now that owns!
I didnt mean that the coldown on Gone with the Wind had to be reduced, i meant that it would be better if he made more spells to quickly waste mana on. For the moment its sort of like he has 1 normal spell (heal thingy), 2 ultimates (cyclone and roots) and 1 passive (treants). The passive is practically useless at first because he cant last hit for shit early on (didnt you say you didnt like focusing on last hits.. ahem?). What you should do with autumn dude is replacing the roots with the cyclone spell and decrease the power on the roots (less dmg, duration and cd). Coldowns on normal spells should never exceed over 30 seconds unless the hero has 2 other active spells.

Ancient Mariner has no passives.
Ops typo, was referring to Gold Digger (its a passive in my eyes since its gray, dull and no fun).

If your really going for simpleness (which is how it is currently), atleast add some micromanagement to the game or it'll turn out extremly boring.
Oh and a tip! switch the ability hotkeys to Q,W,E,R in the order from left to the right on the ability set. It will help newcomers get faster and more easily accustomed to the game aswell as heroes.
edit: Just a note, most people tend to like fast phased skill required games, thats partly why DotA is extremly popular.

edit:
Wrong. LoS blockers blocks sight from both sides, cliffs blocks sight only from one, from the upper terrain.
What would be cool for ToB were if you guys would bother its possible to add cliffs under raised terrain if you make ramps all around it. This way there will be cliff advantage in the game, but you wont be able to notice the so called Blizzard cliffs. Its a very cool feature actually, used it in one of my maps.

Level 4
What would be cool for ToB were if you guys would bother its possible to add cliffs under raised terrain if you make ramps all around it. This way there will be cliff advantage in the game, but you wont be able to notice the so called Blizzard cliffs. Its a very cool feature actually, used it in one of my maps.

Yeah, that's exactly best way of doing it, though takes some work and some nasty playing with wc3 cliffing/ramping. However it's definitely worth it.

Level 8
Thank you for your feedback, but i don't know those characters you used as an example, so i can't really relate to what you are trying to say. Maybe you could summarize those characters for us so we can actually know what we're talking about?

All of your comments are very legit. We are aware the map still has a lot of problems, and that is why this beta is now available to the public, so we can get some feedback on all our new features.

So keep it coming!

Taking player feedback seriously. This is how normal games become good games <3.

And I also want to stand by Nudls points about synergy as they are pretty valid. Most of the heroes I tested today had almost no synergy between their skills at all. It felt like just some spells mashed on the heroes and the Sun Disciple(or whatever her name was) is a perfect example of that. Also the lack of active abilities on items was something I felt should be looked over. Maybe its just because it's a beta version and you're not yet looking at items deeply but for the future you should seriously give it a serious thought.

Level 12
Maybe its just because it's a beta version and you're not yet looking at items deeply but for the future you should seriously give it a serious thought.
Exactly this. The items in game right now are mostly just there to show what the item system can do, and to test it. Once we can get a better feel of the item system and the game balance, we will start designing and balancing more items, and there will most definitely be a lot of "active" items amongst them. (think things like an item that lets you get out of stuns, or a flask that you can fill at the fountain to create a HoT potion.)

It is crucial though for a game as new as this that we balance the characters first, and then the items.

We are not trying to be dota, we're not trying to be any other game then tides of blood. This first new beta has a lot of new mechanics in it, and a lot of things that we are trying out to see what the effect on gameplay would be. Stacking speedboots is one example of this.

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
maybe not a helpfull feedback, but I just want to say:
I like it. I will try it more the next days.

Level 8
O aint N. You can still play N if you like it, but it aint perfect either, although its one of the coolest maps in the history of wc3 modding.

O is an experimantal version for trying new stuff. Because thats the only way to find out what actually works and what does not.

I hope that this doesnt sound like Im against people who complain about the things that suck. Not at all. The feedback is required, so ToB can continue to evolve beyond N and hopefully someday beyond O too.

edit
. And to be honest, cliff levels were never the thing that made N so cool IMO. It was more about the hero vs hero combat and stuff like that.

Level 12
Version 1.16 is out now!

1.16 Changelog

Bug Fixes
* Fixed an issue with heroes not respawning.
* Fixed an issue with The Flying Dutchman buff not being removed.
* Fixed an issue with Gone with the Wind not finishing its movement.
* Fixed an issue with projectiles spawning outside the playable map area.
* Fixed an issue where attack effects from items like the Hushblade and Witch Hammer could be evaded with Spell Evasion in addition to Attack Evasion.
* Fixed an issue with the new host being unable to select a game mode after a previous host leaves during mode selection.
* Fixed an issue with text in the mode selection menu not being rendered correctly.
* Fixed an issue with Undead heroes gaining gold from team-killing.
* Fixed an issue with Mad Cow and Apocalypse Cow potentially causing desyncs.
* Fixed an issue with Jimmy Eat World cancelling morph abilities.
* Fixed an issue with any player being able to use the Start Game button.
* Fixed a variety of tooltip and icon inconsistencies.
* Added additional safety to the removal of skeletons spawned by Dead Can Dance.
* Added additional safety to the Kudzu buff to prevent it from pulling units underground.
* Added additional safety for floating point arithmetic in determining bounties and experience.
* Added additional safety to prevent units with extremely high life totals from spawning.

Balance Changes

General:
* Lowered Agility defense bonus from +.3 Armor to +.25 Armor.

Units:
* Abilities no longer use stun as a primary effect.
* Ultimate abilities now increase their effects with each level.
* Spirit of the Adria now explodes after colliding with units.
* Gold Digger now grants bonus damage in addition to gold.
* Lowered Bloody Culverin from 4/6/8/10/12 to 3/4.5/6/7.5/9 second attack disable.
* Fireflies now deal half as much damage each level.
* Antavahni no longer grants 100% Spell Evasion. Instead, it grants 50 Damage Reduction and makes the target immovable.
* Meat Hook no longer pulls units past large obstacles.
* Fat Chance now reduces a unit's attack damage instead of disabling its attack altogether.
* Jimmy Eat World's cooldown is no longer wasted on units with automatic Spell Evasion from unique casts. Instead Jimmy will continue trying to eat a unit until he succeeds or is told to stop.
* Jimmy Eat World now allows Jimmy to eat other Jimmys en abyme.
* Reap and Sow now leaves a buff with a short window for spawning treants.
* Treants created by Reap and Sow now die if the Emissary that created them is killed.
* Kudzu now has a total maximum range in addition to a maximum range between targets.
* Boomstick now slows and adds 66% Spell Failure for 4 seconds instead of stunning.
* Shield of Faith no longer has any effect when not being channeled.
* Increased the speed of the Voodoo Glow Skulls projectile.
* Voodoo Glow Skulls now slow units instead of stunning them.
* Increased the casting range of Pain Ward.
* Increased Juju Bees from 100/150/200/250/300 to 140/210/280/350/420 life restored for up to 6 units at all levels.
* Lowered Phantom Arrows from 20/30/40/50/60 to 14/21/28/35/42 Mana burned.
* Lowered Hush from 6/8/10/12/14 to 3/4.5/6/7.5/9 second silence.
* Haunt now allows the Phantom Queen to move through enemy units.
* Fugue is no longer channeled.
* Increased Cauterize from 20/25/30/35/40 to 20/30/40/50/60 life per second, while lowering its duration from 15 to 10 seconds.
* Moove! now stuns for 3 seconds at all levels (4.5 seconds during Red Bull).
* Caster spawns now have mana.
* Crimson Wake now damages ethereal units.

Items:
* Lowered Bloodstone from +300 to +200 Life.
* Lowered Sunstone from +150 to +120 Mana.
* Lowered Earthstone from +3 to +2 Armor.
* Lowered Boots of Speed from +20% to + 10% Movement Speed.
* Boots of Speed now have an ability granting an additional +20% Movement Speed for 15 seconds.
* Brightdarken now has a 30-second cooldown.
* The Hushblade's ability is now activated and lasts 20 seconds.

Level 18
erwtenpeller said:
Basic Premise
No story, straightforward 6 versus 6, Undead versus Alliance "AoS" style action. Tides of blood has always perused quality over quantity and our goal is to bring a very limited amount of characters that have all been honed and tweaked to perfection, and actually have a little character.

Tides of Blood is about teamwork. Gold bounties from kills are distributed amongst contributes, and we try to make popular tactics as "last hitting" and "denying" as ineffective as we can. We want players to focus on actually playing the game.

Eh, the game's alright. I just popped a couple of Single Player matches to see what was new and to be honest there really isn't anything so impressive as to say it couldn't have been done in much less time. StarCraft II is almost out and you're just barely releasing the game.

I noticed quite a few tool-tip typos/errors too, but I didn't bother writing them down. I'm sure your devout fan-base will find them and report them to you guys accordingly.

I think this was mentioned earlier, but you say you divert the game from last-hits but Autumn's Emissary requires last hits to be the least bit useful. You can use Gone with the Wind to "teleport" in for an ambush but it takes quite awhile for him to actually arrive at his destination, and even after the fact the only thing he's got to help him at that point is Dual Nature. Sure the little targeting image you've got going on along with local unit-tinting looks awesome, but the spell itself is one of the most basic and generic examples of a spell I can think of.

After the several years of development and the unbelievable fan-base and support resources you had I'm pretty disappointed, actually. Also, are you sure you're crediting everybody who was involved in the development process? While using Gone with the Wind I noticed the little cancel button icon buff indicating the unit was disabled. That made me instantly think of Rising_Dusk's system, and when checking the credits there was no mention of him. In fact the credits seemed a little shallow.

The polish on everything seems adequate. I thought that the game was going to be infested with lag-spikes because of the initial hero/mode-selection screen but it seemed to clear up after. I like that you start off with three levels, but each hero only has 3 basic spells, most of which are not synergistic of each other. For example, Jimmy has Leave it to Cleaver, Meat Hook, and Fat Chance. While Jimmy is a tank, the only ability that really supports that is Fat Chance. The other two are simply overpowered nukes. I don't like the fact that half of the abilities are unit target abilities, which renders their implementation easy and their effects either under or over-powered with no real excitement to using them. The game seems to consist more of waiting for your spell cooldowns.

Level 3
Also, are you sure you're crediting everybody who was involved in the development process? While using Gone with the Wind I noticed the little cancel button icon buff indicating the unit was disabled. That made me instantly think of Rising_Dusk's system, and when checking the credits there was no mention of him. In fact the credits seemed a little shallow.
Yes, I'm sure. I wrote a Unit Conditions library eons before Rising_Dusk. Modified versions of his Knockback and Damage Detection libraries are however used, and he is listed in the credits accordingly, alongside Anitarf, PitzerMike and Vexorian. Scroll down under "The Community" heading.

Level 18
Cassiel said:
Yes, I'm sure. I wrote a Unit Conditions library eons before Rising_Dusk.

When I tried reviewing the credits the names that were listed alongside PitzerMike was short, and definitely excluded Rising_Dusk. I'll see what I was doing.

Right, his name is there.

Level 18
i_brg_doom said:
wc3 is slowly dying on the europe realm

First of all, I love your picture from House. I like that show.

Second of all, it took 7 years to come out with a game. The timing couldn't have been worse. If this game wanted to have any hope of real success (in hosting) it would've come out before the StarCraft II beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.