• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Unwritten RP Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I have to agree, it does vary from RP to RP, as methods of transportation, technology/magic, and events may differ, causing it to be distorted to fit the situation. But, the basis is usually "don't make every trip into a 1 post journey. Your not teleporting everywhere and getting there in the blink of an eye, usually... (special cases apply) It especially applies in galactic scale, or even system-wide.

Level 12
Yeah I always hated people who showed up right at my king/leader's doorstep trying to talk to them, yet somehow mysteriously never even entered my kingdom in the first place. They just say they waltz right on in and then say they want to speak to him. Well what the hell makes you so damn special that you get to talk to him while he's in a meeting trying to decide the fate of the kingdom for the next ten years, or while he's speaking with the general trying to figure out the best way to defend/attack an enemy? It just makes no sense to just automatically assume you're hot shit and can talk to whom ever you want, whenever you want... rant over.

Level 23
I've had the same experiances, but with invading fleets. :/ It took some aggrovating effort on my part to straighten it out and make the maximum assault on my forces as claiming a planet before my forces could respond. Its the one thing I do not understand about people... They all like bypassing security with ease, whether coming or going, and end up thinking they are smarter than the "NPC's" or guards. It is a common problem in shows and games too... People assume that security isn't the brightest, because they aren't a punk-like kid (always the main characters in shows now days... D: )

In light of all this, it helps to strengthen security, and even set up special security steps to ensure its not your assassin coming through the door. If they manage to fight through your forces, allowing you time to react properly, then its more likely to be acceptable. However, when they just pop into existance on your front door, and managed to get through all your security, and territory without being noticed or cared about... that's a big problem for the defending players.

Level 12
Especially when it's like in a fantasy setting, and say you're a basic human race, and some demon or naga just walks/slithers up to your gate. I have my guards automatically alert everyone, and they just go out and start fighting, no questions asked. And the player playing a demon or something wonders why they are treated this way, hm... big scary creature, little fearful humans...

Level 23
And then they sue for unjust treatment... even if they did bring a demonic invasion upon your allies... :p It can be amuzing when they act this way, (wondering why they are treated so) but one can only take so much of it from different examples before it gets old. At this point, a warlord-like demon is probably best for everyone. :p Not the "why me? What did I ever do to you?" characters. :/

Level 16
I has a question.

If you are surrounded real bad, do you allowed to make yourself Imbalanced? (This happens to me in Terraneos). I mean, just imagine. I'm just hunting some wild animals and then ambushed by an Android, and later, Marines come and barge in to kill.

Level 4
4: Centering.
Do NOT try to center the rp on your charecter. The RP will AUTOMATICLY center on one of the charecters, and do NOT try to change that. Appearing everywhere something nice is happening is just... bad (im still having problems with that one myself) and i do NOT reccomend it.

as much as I can agree to that, it sometimes gets really hard to follow it because your character sometimes doesn't get enough attention, ei. being ignored for no reason.
I have to admit that I've had to do something beyond awesome just to get my char more involved. so I'd have to ask you to add another rule, keep others included so it doesn't encourage rule #4.

Level 27
Well Razek, i have a few things to say about that case.

Firstly: If you feel your charecter isn't getting enough attention, ensure that he/she is well constructed and attractive to Roleplay with.
The more orgininality and roleplaying possibilities your charecter has, the more people will want to roleplay with him or her.

Also ensure that your roleplaying is flexible enough to actually allow people to roleplay with you.

Apart from this, my main opinion on this case is:
Find a RP with a better DM.

It is the DM's job to make sure the roleplayers are having fun. If the DM fails at that, he fails at DMing.
If you're in a RP and you're boring your ass off due to the lack of attention your charecter is getting, find a DM that can spread the attention and plot elements properly around the charecters

I have seens alot of DMs on the hive (i'm not gonna' mention anybody specefic though) that makes a RP thread, creates the setting, accepts the charecters and then just sits back and only interferes if somebody is being a jerk-ass or does something that doesn't fit into the DM's rp world.

These DMs play in their RPs almost like normal players, and do allmost nothing to ensure that everyone is having fun.
They don't set up plots and stage events that the players can play though, they just leave everything to the players.
They don't help newcomers into the RPs and they don't ensure that everyone gets to have that "Epic!" feeling that makes RPing worth doing.

Such RPs end up being like advanced games of RISK, and yet with notirously less rules.

I don't know about you guys, but this annoys ME.

Level 16
Eh, I have some suggestions:

Character Naming

Sometimes you just want your character to have an "awesome" name which is very difficult to pronounce. Try to make it simple, but creative. Names such as "Schnitzelzingkravilix" won't make any sense unless he has a nickname, such as "Schnitzel". But, then again, who could say "Schnitzelzingkravilix" makes sense? So, keep it simple, but fitting to the character.

Also, remember to fit it to his/her language. An Elf won't have a name such as "Jonathan" unless he's a halfling or it's a nickname. And so does a Human won't have a name such as "Val'kathran" unless he's a halfling or some kind of ubar-awesome mage.

Language Blockades

You rarely play a God or a Demigod. Let alone a Master Linguist. A human tribesman can quickly grasp Orcish Language, but Elven will prove to be hard for them.

The moral: Your character can't master a Language so fast if it's "alien" to them. As in example, a tribal language is similar to Orcish, but far different from Elven. Make your process of language mastery look as natural and as logical as possible.

Level 27
Good, good. :) I'l add those to the list, though i might have to fix the first one slightly, changing "Halfling" to "Half-Breed" (since i'm pretty sure that's what you're trying to say) since halfling actually is an established race.

It's a Euphemism for "Hobbit" made to avoid Trademark issuses.

I'd rep you for the application, but it appears that i repped you too recently to do so. :p

Level 8
this perhaps seems obvious to many of us but i just have to post it because i experienced it in the past.

DM's will is law
i saw something about this said in the "make sense in combat" rule but i think it should be a separate one. it's the DM's universe not your's so if the DM said something is possible ot impossible you have to take his word for it, you can always SUGGEST something but never enforce your own will in the universe the DM has created.

it doesn't happen allot but it does happen and frankly it is just annoying, especially in my last RP it happened, and no matter what i said this person would just keep doing it.

Level 14
this perhaps seems obvious to many of us but i just have to post it because i experienced it in the past.

dm's will is law
i saw something about this said in the "make sense in combat" rule but i think it should be a separate one. It's the dm's universe not your's so if the dm said something is possible ot impossible you have to take his word for it, you can always suggest something but never enforce your own will in the universe the dm has created.

It doesn't happen allot but it does happen and frankly it is just annoying, especially in my last rp it happened, and no matter what i said this person would just keep doing it.

Amen! <.< >.>

Level 10
I hate it when that happens. I also hate it when people don't take things seriously and follow the current arc. For example, in Order of Elders, I have a world domination/soul stealing plot going on, yet a couple people are setting up shop (one in a forest, and one in the middle of a barren desert with the excuse of getting more customers.) They haven't posted much since starting. lol

Level 23
what about participating in the current arc instead of ignoring the world-changing evil forces and going about your own business without worry? Surely such an example as an army of demons lead by a dragon taking over the world would be enough to warrant attention form the heroes of the world? Why should the bad guy have to hunt them down just to include them? (personal experiance)

Level 6
I hate it when that happens. I also hate it when people don't take things seriously and follow the current arc. For example, in Order of Elders, I have a world domination/soul stealing plot going on, yet a couple people are setting up shop (one in a forest, and one in the middle of a barren desert with the excuse of getting more customers.) They haven't posted much since starting. lol

Maybe they were becoming businessmen,or businesswomen. We all know they want to take over the world by giving bad deals lol

Level 12
Once I remember the DM invited his friend and RP-ed only with him.I tried to join their RP and they told me to go away. I was really angry. Create a RP and then play only with guys you know. DM can be wrong, change the rule

Level 27
Sky Green, that does sound like a douchy DM but it is up to the DM whether he wants to play with you or not.
In the DMs RP he is ALWAYS right, as he is the one that takes the time to run it.
If you dont like the DM you should just find another RP to play in.

Level 10
Why would it matter if someone plays on battlenet? RPing is RPing, no matter where it is. I've never seen an RP that required you to play something, but knowledge of what the RP is based on helps a lot.

As for your RP, it helps to ask people. Send invites, ask friends and acquaintances, talk in the chat, etc.

Level 27
Hey folks! I've taken a stern look at the thread and made a series of changes to the various rules, completely re-writing most of them to properly get the point through.
Some rules have been taken off the list because I felt that they didn't actually belong on a list of general roleplaying rules, but most have simply been given a substantial facelift.

I felt that this needed to be done for the sake of the few people to still refer to this list and my personal mental health. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.