• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Terraining Map, Volume 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Well, it looks to me like you have a team. Three or four people might not be enough to finish this whole project, but it's enough to start, and attract more people.

MasterTrainer, I'd suggest you contact Pharaoh_ and see about coordinating this team of yours. Make sure to bug Pharaoh_ as much as possible about where to start, what to do, and so on. Get all the information you need, draw a plan of your activities and distribute them to your team members. Give them each an assignment worthy of their skill and their willingness to complete it, and with some hard work and a little luck we should have the beta of UTM 4 soon :)

Level 14
You don't need to make it official, but you need a plan of action, and since I don't really know any of you, I'm not really sure if you qualified enough to see the big picture, which is why I suggested contacting someone who is.

You'll be able to do far more if you get a good start, which means that you have to know exactly what needs to be done and how to do it. Otherwise you'll just end up with a badly cataloged map of various models.

Even if you think you understand the whole idea of the UTM, I'd suggest writing a short plan of action and sending it to Pharaoh_. If you got everything right, no problem, but if you missed something, Pharaoh_ should be able to clear it up and avoid getting a bad start.

Level 16
What about we start with the Beginner's version first?

Then from there, we add up with the Merge Object Data and then split to the different themes.

Edit: Ah, no, I mean; from the Beginners version, we continue to add all the resources and data that might be usable for all Themes, then we make multiple copies and Assign each copy to a different theme. Then from there, we add all resources and data necessary for each.

This would make our approach be like the formation of the different branches of a tree.

Last edited:
Level 14
What about we start with the Beginner's version first?

Then from there, we add up with the Merge Object Data and then split to the different themes.

This is a good idea. Start with as simple a project as you can so that you can train as a team, and then when the first version is out, the rest will go far more smoothly. Hope to see a beta of the "UTM 4 - Novice" soon :D

Level 20
Level 17
Resource wise I think you should take a look at some of the Touhou maps. There was a Touhou defence map that had a separate model download pack, so that the map file size wasn't too large the models were remote to the map. However were directly loaded into it.

So you were playing with all the models visible (Only if you downloaded the model pack), but with the map file size being relatively small, as the models no longer took up map space.

Level 36
If I'd gotten a dollar for every person who made an attempt at making a new UTM >.>
- I'd still be poor as fuck.

No, but really, EVERYONE thinks they're the next Da Vinci of UTM's, till they start comprehending just how much work there is about it. Truth be told, I commend DungeonM like all hell for having done it, I know I wouldn't ever have been as... Dedicated.

That, and I honestly still don't see the slightest point in making another UTM. The current edition, as it stands, serves to be a perfect beginner's package for any new terrainer, and then whenever they start getting better, they'll simply make their own map with their own preferred doodads to use, true terrainers got their own terrain templates.
- Maybe the name should be changed, though. (BTM)

Level 16
MasterTrainer, I've finished the Pathing Compilation and will be uploading a blank map with the original object data

In Total, 33 additional pathing objects have been added.
Ground +25
Both +2
Walkable +6

Total Data Space consumed: around 15-18kB

Ground
>DoubleBlock
>Elongated
>Elongated Diagonal
>Large Elongated
>Large +Elongated
>Large ++Elongated
>Large Diagonal
>Large DoubleBlock Horizontal
>Large DoubleBlock Vertical
>Large Extralong
>P
>P 90^
>XL
>XL Diagonal
>XL Diagonal Elongated
>XL Rectangular
>XL +Rectangular
>XL ++Rectangular
>XL ++Rectangular D
>XXL
>XXL Cross
>XXL Elongated
>XXXL
>XXXXL Rectangular
>XXXXL +Rectangular
>XXXXL Rectangular Elongated

Both
>XL
>XXXL

Walkable Area
>S
>M
>L
>L Rectangular
>XL
>XL DoubleBlock
>XXXXXL
>XXXXXXXL

I only included those that seemed useful for Pathing. I made a Walkable Area Pathing Object so I could also include useful Walkable Pathing Maps, Some of their sizes are already included in the Invisible Platform Object, so you may disregard those.

Also, if needed, I can generate some custom Pathing Maps to fill up those gaps between sizes.

Attachments

• PathingCompilation.w3x
    17.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 36
You are one damned Self-Centered individual. What YOU think is right for you, you think is right for everyone else, and you don't open up your mind for other's opinions.

That was entirely uncalled for, sure I might have added "damned" for emphasis, and sure I don't honestly see the point in making a new UTM, then again if you want to, you do, I'm not going to stop you.

Point is, I happen to be this sections Moderator now, and I happen to have noticed there's a bit too many stickies for my liking, so I asked the simple question "Are someone still working on this?" Because there's been a lot "I can do this" going around and barely no "We've done this and we're currently working at that," excluding your former post. So yeah, I kind of asked whether or not anyone's working on it, because if not then there seem to me to be no point in having the thread stickied anymore.
- Sue me for that opinion.

Also, if you have a beef with me or have anything negative to say, do so in the Admin Contact section, rather than bluntly firing off offensive statements and unjust proclamations.
I'm going to let this slip for now, but pull yourself together, mate, I won't tolerate further harassment.

Level 17
That was entirely uncalled for, sure I might have added "damned" for emphasis, and sure I don't honestly see the point in making a new UTM, then again if you want to, you do, I'm not going to stop you.

Point is, I happen to be this sections Moderator now, and I happen to have noticed there's a bit too many stickies for my liking, so I asked the simple question "Are someone still working on this?" Because there's been a lot "I can do this" going around and barely no "We've done this and we're currently working at that," excluding your former post. So yeah, I kind of asked whether or not anyone's working on it, because if not then there seem to me to be no point in having the thread stickied anymore.
- Sue me for that opinion.

Also, if you have a beef with me or have anything negative to say, do so in the Admin Contact section, rather than bluntly firing off offensive statements and unjust proclamations.
I'm going to let this slip for now, but pull yourself together, mate, I won't tolerate further harassment.

These sort of threats over a debate/argument coming from a Mod is disappointing. Not what you expect from an "upstanding member of the community ^^"

Although I guess this probs did get sort of mad due to the random uncalled for comment. Everyone deals with problems differently I guess.

------------------------------------------

Saw the different pathable objects. Looking good, can't wait till the new UTM comes out. Although the sad thing about UTM's is the lag when opening OE.

Also when you make the UTM can you set all min scale 0 max 99999
So that it is easier to customize. In the previous UTM that was a pain.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
These sort of threats over a debate/argument coming from a Mod is disappointing. Not what you expect from an "upstanding member of the community ^^"
FYI he wasn't pulling rank to win the debate; dealing with both stickies and harassment is part of his job as the section's moderator. And the response was kind of dignified seeing as he both explained where the misunderstanding took place in detail and let him off the hook for harassing him about it.

Level 36
That's my thought exactly, but last time I assumed as much I got verbally abused,
so I thought a softer approach would do this time around.

Anyway, I'll give whoever still thinks they're working on this til Wednesday to answer,
then I'll bring the thread down and start tinkering with my own peculiar idea for an
alternative approach to an "update" in terraining tool development.

Level 36
This thread is now unstickied, due to low activity in the threads initial purpose.
- Anyone still working on this are free to do so and free to post their updates
in this thread, but I won't sticky it again.

On the other hand, if you do make a "Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0" and want
me to have a look at it, I will, and if it's good it'll be uploaded to the "Ultimate
Terraining Map 3" thread with a name-change.

Status
Not open for further replies.