• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The resources search is garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I suggested this before but I would try using something like DataTables | Table plug-in for jQuery. You should be able to integrate it with XF's database and this way you can have full control over how the search is handled. I have something similar for WC3 Maps and it works great. The only downside is if there are major changes to the XF database structure you will have to update your code, but it may be worth it for the extra flexibility.

If you want to stick to to XF search system then I have some suggestions.
  • I think making some filters more obvious would help. For example, in the maps section the "Warcraft 3 Maps" dropdown filter should be automatically selected. The author filter could also maybe be moved above the tags. You have to scroll down to see the author filter.
  • You cannot search twice. After the first search a site-wide search is applied. It's very counter intuitive.
  • A checkbox to include substandard resources in a search would be helpful.
  • The long list of tags is kind of jarring at first. Maybe show the most popular tags first, then have a "show more tags" button which reveals the rest of the more uncommon ones?

Overall I wouldn't call the current system garbage but it has a few flaws which can be annoying.

If you need any assistance with any of this I'd be more than willing to help out. :thumbs_up:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Overall I wouldn't call the current system garbage but it has a few flaws which can be annoying.

function searchMaps(searchString) {
let arr = [];
for(let map of db.maps) {
if(map.name.includes(searchString)) {
arr.push(map)​
}​
}

return arr;​
}

Here you go, a better search system than the current one. All you need is a input box.

I would not mind contributing since this annoys the hell out of me, but since Xenforo is made in php I'll pass. Hate the language.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Me and Ralle have talked about this many years ago. And as Ralle says:
What I mean is that if a feature used by so many people needs a manual, it is simply not easy enough to use.
I know that Ralle is improving the search function for Hives next upgrade. We are sorry it has taken this long, but needless to say we are aware of the issue and are working on a permanent solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.