1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The resources search is garbage

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Xonok, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This thread was a while back. While it would be nice if normal search didn't ignore tags, advanced search works fine, so I have no further objection.

2. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The UX is indeed garbage. I am well aware of that. This is the second time Grubby tries to use our search on stream without success. I have some plans for a way to improve it when in our upcoming XenForo 2.0 release.

3. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    For the love of god, let us search icons in a grid. There is no reason why 64x64 pixel images should be limited to 10 on your monitor at a time.

Also, while searching for the warcraft 2 bloodlust icon I couldn't find it no matter what... until searching "btnbloodlust" instead. Might want to take a look at that.

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can confirm.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hey, now a grid is a great idea (for icons at least). : )

6. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Doesn't look garbage to me. I usually find things I am searching for. :) You just have to scroll your way down.

Wanna know which really is suckingly problematic?
    The filters. Whenever I try to put some tag and apply filters like "undead and missile"
    Damn, I get really out of place results. I even see an orc unit and that orc guy is 100% not neither undead nor missile. And there's a lot more unrelated.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's because of the uploaders choosing more tags than necessary for their resources.
    doom_sheep is right. Not everything related to what you write shows in the search not even if a resource name contains a word you've written. It's trying to be too exact and that's not good, it's restrictive.

8. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think there is an option where one can select where forum to find it. If I check 'model section' only or anything else, the search will work on it.

When I want my skins, I check the advanced options with skins repositories only then I see skins. I guess that is what the checkboxy features want to werk.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No. I tried doom_sheep's search on the general field and the proper icon field and the same. Plus, when searching for a specific type of resource you don't want other stuff in the way.

10. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think I suggested this before but I would try using something like DataTables | Table plug-in for jQuery. You should be able to integrate it with XF's database and this way you can have full control over how the search is handled. I have something similar for WC3 Maps and it works great. The only downside is if there are major changes to the XF database structure you will have to update your code, but it may be worth it for the extra flexibility.

If you want to stick to to XF search system then I have some suggestions.
    • I think making some filters more obvious would help. For example, in the maps section the "Warcraft 3 Maps" dropdown filter should be automatically selected. The author filter could also maybe be moved above the tags. You have to scroll down to see the author filter.
    • You cannot search twice. After the first search a site-wide search is applied. It's very counter intuitive.
    • A checkbox to include substandard resources in a search would be helpful.
    • The long list of tags is kind of jarring at first. Maybe show the most popular tags first, then have a "show more tags" button which reveals the rest of the more uncommon ones?

Overall I wouldn't call the current system garbage but it has a few flaws which can be annoying.

If you need any assistance with any of this I'd be more than willing to help out. :thumbs_up:

11. Noob Mher

Noob Mher

Resources:
    Resources:
    True I search for a fel orc I get a Night Elf backpack!

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    function searchMaps(searchString) {
    let arr = [];
    for(let map of db.maps) {
    if(map.name.includes(searchString)) {
    arr.push(map)​
    }​
    }

return arr;​
    }

Here you go, a better search system than the current one. All you need is a input box.

I would not mind contributing since this annoys the hell out of me, but since Xenforo is made in php I'll pass. Hate the language.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Kinda annoys me now that this is the title I chose.

14. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have a fix for it in the XF2 migration of the site. ETA maybe this year...

15. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It would be nice if we could do like google search and add colons to search for a specific phrase like "grass" to only find things with grass in title.

16. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Me and Ralle have talked about this many years ago. And as Ralle says:
    I know that Ralle is improving the search function for Hives next upgrade. We are sorry it has taken this long, but needless to say we are aware of the issue and are working on a permanent solution.

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    A...

*cracks knuckles*

Permanent solution.

18. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    explosive and explosion give the same results.
    incinerate and incineration give the samre results.

I like it.