1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The resources search is garbage

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Xonok, Apr 4, 2018.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Search results don't bring up Substandard resources from what I can remember.

2. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @deepstrasz
    I thought so too myself but the substandard resources I tried appear when searching for them.

3. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  4. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't appear when using the top right search in the model section.
    If we aren't supposed to be using that search then it shouldn't be here.

5. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The top right search is meant to be sort of a quick search using default settings. The default setting is to hide substandard. It is meant to be used, just not to find substandard resources.

6. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would like to chime in and add that there are lots of useful resources that are substandard. I have lost count of the amount of times i do multiple quick searches, find nothing, and before giving up i check substandard resources and you find exactly what you was hoping to find.

Substandard resources are marked so because they're usually recolors/minor edits of existing resources. They're still useful and in most cases good quality. After all this time I have adapted to using all the search filters, but I feel as if those who are less acquainted with the site may not find what they seek due to the quick search function.

If anything I would recommend differentiating substandard into actual substandard (low-quality) and useful (unoriginal) but i know this wont happen so I'll just keep dreaming :p

7. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Ralle As I said some substandard bundles appear using that search.
    Look at this quick search. This substandard bundle appear in it.
    The search seems inconsistent.

8. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Agreed. I'm also not denying that there are a great many things that could be better with the way search works.

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Could that be enabled? Set the default top-right Search Bar to include "Substandard"

(I feel like, once again, thet nomenclature itself is a barrier here... "Substandard & "(Standard)" are just not an optimal setup for how we should use, understand, & feel about those resources.)

10. Krolan

Krolan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just a thing which probably matter to me too much, henceforth porbably not the most pressing issue, but I can never seem to get the sorting to work. (You know, those buttons at the top bar listing "Name, Date, etc.")

I am just that guy who likes things chronologicly, and While it lists by default, when the last comment was written in order, I want to see what was most recently updated/uploaded (explicitly in the Maps Section, more explicitly RPG and Custom Campaign).

One would think that clicking "Date" (the 2nd button from the left) will give me exactly that, but it obviously only lists upload date, and yet, still, it shows me in order "2018-2008-2017-2017-2018-2009" (this is an example)

For me it is extremely annoying, I acknowledge though that for most that's of little relevance.

11. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I agree with including substandard resources in searches, at least for maps. Some maps are hard to find because of this. For example:

Final Fantasy Forever release 1c

^ does not show up in search queries.

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, somewhat simple solution.

If there are less than X results show substandard.
    If I am looking for a Fishing System, I only need one result (or 2-3 depending on language) so if I get 10 matches I probably do not need to see the substandard ones.
    But if there is 0-3 maybe it would be useful.

While it does not cover all use cases, I think it is entirely positive for those cases it does affect.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, would you guys implement a way to eliminate/filter resources based on usernames? Say I want to search "dinosaur" in Models but don't want to see resources from a specific user.

14. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    i don't know how much work that would be, but we definitely need content filtering. and to be able to set it up and change directly from browsing pages.
    content filtered by name of the author with check-boxes to tick, to exclude models, textures, spells, other resources, and even authors themselves.
    should probably have a long list, like the ignore list

15. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    On Monday stream Grubby tried to search Warlock on hive, from many pages. First while within Maps & Resources index, but that search carried out a site-wide search. Then he found advanced search from maps page, and searched for Warlock from the top-right text field, again ending up with a site-wide search. He then was given a link to the map by his chat. Hive has an appealing, fancy UI but that doesn't guarantee good UX, which imo fails at error prevention here. I propose site-wide versus section-specific search context be explicitly notated about the search field, and ridding advanced search from text field of simple one. Also advanced search should default to search of the section user came from, and its list control should be alphabetically ordered and occupy more screen estate.

What comes to scolding calling your product garbage: does that not lead to a more tense atmosphere where people beware their input? I'd gladly receive feedback this 'offensive', given the problem was politely described in OP. I doubt this thread was meant for hate-mongering, but to give feedback, and 'garbage' was used as a mean of emphasizing one's message. We're all here to spend free time and I doubt no one strives to be a beacon of formality, over-policing leads to emigration, which is bad for the last Western WC3 modding community.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have no idea what you are talking about. When I search Warlock in Maps, the map comes first in the search field and only maps are shown...

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's not a matter of "policing", it's a matter of basic respect. There's no need to use such unequivocally rude/harsh language, period.

On that note, there's a big difference between "constructive critique" & "criticism", and your post is a good example of the former, while the title "search is garbage" is more the latter.

18. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Sure, but I didn't say there's a need. For example, I seek to distance myself from exercise of insensitive speech. But this is about publicly condemning the use of word 'garbage' as a descriptor of user error prone search functionality. I argue we should focus on the message conveyed by words, not words in themselves. One could argue 'what, are you justifying use of n word, r word and other slurs?', but this is different, because uttering racial/ableist slurs normalizes their use, and is in turn harmful towards people of color / with disabilities. In essence, I don't think it's condemnable to use 'garbage' to refer to 'bad', because (like I said previously) it's probably intended as a mean of emphasizing one's message, not monger hate.

Quality of title has nothing to do with quality of content.

19. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not the first time Grubby is trying to search stuff on Hive and fails to find it. Hive's research system has always been pretty bad and unless you know the right way of using it you will rarely find what you are looking for. I think it should be adressed before Reforged's release if Ralle can find the time.

20. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    It could use some work,but i wouldn't call it garbage.I'm still able to find what I want,most of the time.