• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fix the resource search please :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Was reminded of this in the discord chat yesterday.

I have said it the past across multiple threads but I figured I'll try to make some suggestions in one place.

To clarify, the search is not broken. Functionally it works.
But it's extremely clunky and inconvenient to use.

1. Why the search bar not on the main page? (img)
Currently you have to go down to the Keyword & Filter Search
1b. It is at the bottom
1c. The font is small

Clicking a link should not be needed in order to search, though advanced filtering can remain that way.
2. If I am in the MAP section and go for the "Keyword & Filter Search" there is a lot of bloat.
2b. "Require The Following Resource Type" is quite pointless as I am clearly looking for a map.
2c. Why can I filter by "Passive / Aura" when I was in the map section 1 second ago?
2d. Why can I search in the tool section when I was in the map section 1 second ago?

The core problem here is actually that the search functionality is just a redirect to the normal forum search instead of being tailored to the resource specifically. Still, can be fixed with a few additions after the "&type=resource" in the URL as a bandaid fix. Or a proper fix by not rending some part of the filter if redirected from a resource section, should be easy enough.
3. Expanding on number two, when searching with "Keyword & Filter Search" the layout changes and does not look like the map section normally does.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but these were not issues in hive 1.0 as far as I can remember

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I agree it sucks. My priority was to integrate as well with XenForo as I could, and that entailed integrating into their search universe. This is great to an extend.

But the downside is that we had a really good search and filtering system in the old site so this XenForo search falls short of what we had in the old site.

As I have stated some times in the past, I am working on migrating the site to XenForo 2.0 and once again integrated into their search system. However, I will also be making search available in the standard filters when looking in a specific section. See the screenshot below:
upload_2018-12-2_17-18-18.png

It still needs actual UI to set the filter along with all other filters. Not to mention it's missing the Night Elf theme :).

Anyway. You will be happy to know that things will be more like in the old days while still have good XenForo integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.