• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I really hate the new Search system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So but "catacombs" would find "cat" and (honey)"combs" (also probably ca"taco"mbs). Hm.

Is there a way for it to prioritize things actually containing the actual word (e.g. "kill") and putting variants (e.g. "killer", "killed", kills") last? That seems to be the "intuitive Search results" that Chaosy & others might expect.

Last edited:
Level 21
I have had some issues with the search engine,such as not finding what I wanted or finding a bunch of unwanted stuff (I recall searching for elemental in spells and my results included a even manager and some calculator)
But for the most part I did manage to find what I wanted

Also,I searched catacombs and I didn't get cats

I actually have a different gripe with the new resource search:
Why does it show a search-by-author field on the primary search site, but if I want a keyword search, I have to click on filter options first?

This is totally dumb. Nobody searches resources by author. Keyword search should be the default and author search can be the filter option, not the reverse!

Level 50
Why does it show a search-by-author field on the primary search site, but if I want a keyword search, I have to click on filter options first?

This is totally dumb. Nobody searches resources by author. Keyword search should be the default and author search can be the filter option, not the reverse!
You don't have to go down to filters to research resource tags. You go to a specific resource section, for example models, and in upper search box enter skeleton. You'll get models with that keyword.

You don't have to go down to filters to research resource tags. You go to a specific resource section, for example models, and in upper search box enter skeleton. You'll get models with that keyword.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I thought the search bar on the top right corner would start a general search query, not a filtered search by section.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

I search by Author all the time. Gotta get my Grendel-fix.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~
Sorry for the double-post, but quick question: What is the difference between "regular" Search with the "More" (advanced) Search?

I was searching for Hermit's "Empathic Bond" SFX Model. Could only remember "Empathic Bond", so I went to the Model Resources forum & typed "empathic" (& checking "title only") in the native Search bar right there.

HIVE
No results found

This happened ('title only' or no) until I did the same thing in the "More"/Advanced Search sub-menu; typing in "empathic", checking "title only" and voila, first result was the model I knew existed.

So what's up?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If you enter the search field top right there usually is a checkbox saying which location you are searching in. When you go to advanced, you may have picked something else.
No, they were the same...

Alright, wait up. I just checked since I assumed the "normal" Search bar would have the same default settings as the "advanced" Search... And while the latter had "all forums (& child forums)" selected, the former has (by default) both "search this repository only" and "search resources only" checked.

I've never bothered to change this because (usually already being in the "Model" repository), it seemed like it should work fine ("Search [the model repository]" & "search resources only (of which 'models' are one)" = ..... OHHHHH dangit. AND means the intersection. No wait, yeah, intersection, that should still work. Besides, both are selected by default, so that must be correct for something, I thought.

However, unchecking either one works to bring up precisely what I was looking for (and works for other things too, it seems). So what do those two do, and why are they True by default? Could just one be made the default?

//EDIT// - Having both set to True doesn't stop generic stuff (like "Troll") from bringing up plenty of options. But it feels like if I type in a word that is directly in the title it shouldn't be hard to find

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
If you don't change the search settings when searching inside of Submissions or Substandard, it will only find bundles inside of there. It is context aware. A mixed blessing indeed.

I am still planning on looking into adding a keyword field into the bundle listing so you aren't forced to use search unless you want to search across multiple repositories.

Status
Not open for further replies.