• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Searching Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I just thought I'd ask about some minor (I think) changes to the way searching works.

For a start after searching something in a repository if you search again it searches the whole site. i.e. if I go to the icons section and search 'Armour' I get armour icons but say I don't find the one I want and want to search again, if I go to the search bar from my results page and search something else then it gives results of models, icons, posts etc.

My other suggestion would be to make repository searches in the same format as the repository like old Hive used to be, it was quite helpful.

I don't know about anyone else but these points I found especially prevalent when using the site and working on my maps.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
For a start after searching something in a repository if you search again it searches the whole site. i.e. if I go to the icons section and search 'Armour' I get armour icons but say I don't find the one I want and want to search again, if I go to the search bar from my results page and search something else then it gives results of models, icons, posts etc.
You have to click "Search Again" and you can edit your search. Entering something new in the search field behaves like the field does anywhere else, by creating a new search. This makes it consistent which is good, but since you're not the first person expecting something else, it may not be too intuitive.
My other suggestion would be to make repository searches in the same format as the repository like old Hive used to be, it was quite helpful.
You mean by adding the search field to the sidebar? Yeah, I know :). Everyone wants this. I want it too. It's just... Difficult. I will look into it :)

while we're talking about search bars...

would it be easy to also add an 'Or' option for keywords, kinda like how the old hive search worked?

e.g. if i search 'boy' and 'wizard', this option finds me resources with at least one of the keywords. right now, it only searches for resources with both keywords. while this may seem to make more sense and/or find more accurate resources, it relies on resources having the perfect keywords and it also assumes you know exactly what you're looking for. in the old hive, if i had only a rough idea, i could search "red evil demon pitchfork satan trump" and get a myriad of great results, with the most relevant conveniently sitting at the top. i search that here, and i would get nothing.

i've only just noticed this now, but resources don't have an option for custom keywords anymore, and seem to rely solely on the preset tags (or submitters to type in their own keywords in the description).

that's a bigger problem than the "ALL keyword" search imo, since the preset tags won't cover things like "mage, shield, LOTR" which i'm sure are words many users search for.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
the description and keywords were merged in the old search system so as long as you put keywords in the description, you will be fine.

Also, take a look at the thread I linked, people have shared undocumented ways to search, supposedly you can say mage | shield | lotr to find things that match any of the words you enter. I just tried, seems to work. It does require spaces though. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.