• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resource search title only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I have added a new hidden feature to resource search. It's hidden because I want to hear if it should just be the default or it should be it's own feature.

The new feature is basically the "Search titles only" as known from the normal forum search, but put to use in the resource sections.

You use it like this:

Imagine you search for the phrase "warhammer". It yields results that contain the word "warhammer" somewhere in the description as well as the title.
Code:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/maps.564/?search=warhammer

These results among others are displayed:

1647361054280.png

Now, try adding &title_only=1 to the URL and the new mode will be used. Like so:

Code:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/maps.564/?search=warhammer&title_only=1

These results among others are displayed:

1647361112400.png

I feel like the results get more relevant and filter a lot of seemingly random results out.

Should I make it the default?

CC: @Frotty @MasterBlaster @StormKnight @SNIper of DARKness @Xonok

Level 20
I feel both options should be available - maybe add a check box under the "keywords" field that allows people to toggle "titles only" on or off?

As for whether that option should be selected by default... Well, I doubt people searching things like icons, models or skins know the names of the assets they are looking for and just want to find something roughly matching their querry. For example, when someone searches models for "archer", I don't think they mean a model that has "archer" in the name, but any model that can be used as an archer unit, so searching only titles by default doesn't make that much sense - though it would still be a nice option if someone looks for something specific.

When it comes to maps, spells or tools - I think both options would be useful as I can definetely see people searching for both specific things that they know the names of (or parts of them at least) or things that roughly match their querry, e.g. someone might be searching for Arkain, because they want more of that series while another person might like maps with blood elves, so they search for that. Thus, I'd say there's no clear winner here.

With that in mind, I'd say - probably "off" by default, but available as an option if someone wants it.

Last edited:
Level 17
I tested this feature out on Warhammer in the model section of the resources, the result was interesting.

Without &title_only=1 the result showed warhammer related things, even a weapon that was literally a warhammer and also things like the Skaven race that are related to the Warhammer universe.

But with the same link using the new feature it seems to exclude results that are related to Warhammer which in this case is a mere example. results that were visible without using the new feature.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/models.530/?search=Warhammer&title_only=1

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/models.530/?search=Warhammer

Check the difference yourself. Ralles map showcase in the differences of this is really awesome while my example highlights a bit more questionable part of this when it comes to whether or not it should be default.

Quite interesting, however since the results seem to be different enough that would or would not add or subtract actual value i would have to vote this to be an option not the default. maybe a setting thing that we can check to be permanently on or off.

Level 20
I also prefer having a checkbox.

Question remains, is there also a way to improve search results, when the checkbox is not checked?
For me personally, changing the order of results could make a huge difference here.

Like, prioritize results, where the search key word matched a resource tag over results where it matched a word in the title over the ones where the keyword is found in the main post/description over the ones where the keyword is found in the reactions?

I feel like that would have helped me a lot in the past, especially in the maps section. At the same time, there might already be a better priority system in place (although I had similiar gripes with the results as those Ralle mentioned). Just brainstorming...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm encountering this annoying thing. Don't remember if it was pointed out or not before.

So, I'm in Maps
anima.png
and I try searching something only in Maps or even Threads and I don't get map resource threads but comments in map threads
anima.png anima.png
but if I just search Everywhere I get that and everything else
anima.png
so if there's no comments on a thread named warhammer, then you don't get the result of that thread searching by This Forum

I found this out by trying to search WW3 to check if such a map was already uploaded sometime in the past.

Level 34
I've been having problems searching for skins, i'm pretty sure there are many spellbreaker textures, but everytime i search "spellbreaker", "spell breaker", or "spell thief" i get few results, is that a search problem or most of the skins have been deleted?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I've been having problems searching for skins, i'm pretty sure there are many spellbreaker textures, but everytime i search "spellbreaker", "spell breaker", or "spell thief" i get few results, is that a search problem or most of the skins have been deleted?
Are these your results searching spellbreaker?
Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 19-22-38 Search results for query spellbreaker.png

This is what I chose when searching.
Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 19-22-54 Search resources.png

Status
Not open for further replies.