• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Search Feature Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Is the new search feature still being worked on or has its functionality merely changed since the new site was launched? I'm still not sure how to use it.

On the old hive, I could type "Purple Demon Ball Chain Tree" and get tons of results for my wide variety of keywords. Additionally if I wanted to add another keyword after searching, it was really easy just type another word at the end of the list I made the first time.

Now, that same search returns nothing 100% of the time, and using commas returns resources that only contain ALL of those keywords, which is also highly likely to be nothing. If I search on that bar again for a second search it starts grabbing tons of irrelevant stuff. I find this all highly unintuitive because often times I am searching for many possibly synonyms, since I do not know if the authors decided to call an icon "sphere" or "orb" or "ball". Searching them individually again seems unintuitive and just slows down the process. To me, OR is far better for exploring possibilities than AND.

P.S. will we ever be able to see 200 results to a page again? I remember Ralle saying it'd be easy :D

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Yes, it's different now. All words you write must be contained in the result otherwise they won't be shown. This is actually more powerful because you can narrow the search a lot. If, however you want to do it the old way, you would have to make a search for each of the words.

I can change the results to always show 200. That is the easiest, I just feel that it's a bit much.

Level 9
Yes, it's different now. All words you write must be contained in the result otherwise they won't be shown. This is actually more powerful because you can narrow the search a lot. If, however you want to do it the old way, you would have to make a search for each of the words.

I can change the results to always show 200. That is the easiest, I just feel that it's a bit much.

Ah so switching between is a no-go? I just fly through pages pretty quick looking for "THAT" resource, speaking for myself it'd speed things up.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It's funny; I had the opposite experience. I generally hated doing a Hive search for resources, because I'd type in "troll" and I'd get a million models of 'definitely NOT Troll'; buildings, masks, armor bits, humans, dwarves, etc... If the creator just wrote "troll" in the description or tag-bombed it, it showed up.

While I agree that AND is more powerful for removing the above issue, I have to say it'd be nice to have the choice. And/or to just have it be 'non-native'; i.e. we type in 'AND' and/or 'OR' ourselves (i.e. I would type "troll AND hero AND mask" while Shyster might do "troll OR hero OR mask").

Google searches (i.e. "site:hiveworkshop.com __YOUR MODEL SEARCH TERMS HERE___") have proven to be quite useful as of late.

Level 9
It's funny; I had the opposite experience. I generally hated doing a Hive search for resources, because I'd type in "troll" and I'd get a million models of 'definitely NOT Troll'; buildings, masks, armor bits, humans, dwarves, etc... If the creator just wrote "troll" in the description or tag-bombed it, it showed up.

While I agree that AND is more powerful for removing the above issue, I have to say it'd be nice to have the choice. And/or to just have it be 'non-native'; i.e. we type in 'AND' and/or 'OR' ourselves (i.e. I would type "troll AND hero AND mask" while Shyster might do "troll OR hero OR mask").

Completely agree; this would be a very nice feature

Status
Not open for further replies.