• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The forum search is fucking useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
The forum search is useless

I don't know if you guys frequently use the forum search, but I do and I'm ALWAYS frustrated with it.

If you enter a series of words into the search, it will always run a absurdly simple, non-weighted search of all threads containing the keywords.

Depending on how simple those keywords are, the resulting list is ridicolously large and more than often does not even contain the thread you are looking for!

The worst part about it? I find Hive threads much easier by using a google search than using the on-board search!

Here's some examples:

Search string: "Hero passive transformation"
Expected result: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/hero-passive-transformation-198482/
Search result: 10+ pages of crap that isn't even slightly relevant.

Search string: "Change textures ingame"
Expected result: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...how-make-model-change-textures-ingame-222258/
Search result: 10+ pages of crap that isn't even slightly relevant.

If I try the above searches, the expected results are not even in the search list! In the first example, the search string is even the exact same wording of the thread title!

For comparison, try these searches again in google, just adding "wc3" to the search string. Both threads will instantly appear as the first search result, followed by lots of other valid results.
In hive, however, you will get 10 pages of crap that has literally nothing to do with what you are searching for.

Reactions: San

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Agreed in full. It's always been shit, iirc. The only time I use it is when the filters are actually applicable, e.g. "view all posts by this user". For other stuff, a Google search is better. There's little we can do about it now though, being that we migrate soon. But integrating a solid search function for XenForo should be high priority for when that happens, definitely.

For comparison, try these searches again in google, just adding "wc3" to the search string.
You can also add "site:hiveworkshop.com" to the search bar and it limits it down to results from this site.

Level 15
Well, I always performed searches using forum tool getting good results. but these two last weeks, the list of searches responses strangely. It shows 2 - 3 recent topics on the top (year 2015), and the rest goes to year 2009 - 2008 - 2007. I though it could be due the rarity of the searched tags but yesterday I've entered the word "abilities" and the list goes to same years. maybe there is some data lost?.
edit: I tried with the keyword "spells" and get same results.

Last edited:
Level 22
Searching for resources isn't also the best. Sometimes when you put the exact word for the resource, it still has a lower "Relevancy Factor" than others.

Offtopic:
126521d1370593992-random-stuff-about-thw-untitled.jpg

126527d1370607435-random-stuff-about-thw-user145520_pic18280_1254061204.jpg

126543d1370640551-random-stuff-about-thw-searchtagcloud.png

Status
Not open for further replies.