1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Reader's Lounge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keiji, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I recently finished reading the Dark Tower series for the first time. What a trip. A lot of people had trouble with the ending and a certain thing Stephen King "introduced" in the 6th book, but I didn't mind it at all. He DID warn you about the ending. I thought it was all very fitting, and worked well with the book's themes about obsession, fate, and the journey not the destination.

Also recently read Shadows of Self (2nd book in the 2nd mistborn trilogy by Sanderson). Nice book. Short and similar to the Alloy of Law in being action-oriented with bits of humor and drama.

Starting to re-read The Way of Kings now, and then Words of Radiance again too, preparing myself for Szeth's book which is coming this year I think?

Glad to see other wanderers of the Sandersonian cosmere on this site!

Also; what are people's thoughts on Rothfuss's Kingkiller series? I've heard good things but I've also heard that the protagonist is a massive Gary Sue and that sort of thing is a huge turn-off for me.

2. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Malazan, book of the fallen. A series about the fate of the Malazan empire, an empire struggling after the fall of it's first emperor Kellanved. The series primarily follows the of lives people in the malazan army. The series takes place in a fantasy setting.

The series is great, it follows several points of views in a universe filled with magic and powerful gods, yet way darker and more tragic than most other fantasy universes. Will describe death, torture, rape ect. in detail, and no one is safe. It is very complex, and if you're bad at names, you'll have a bad time. Nothing is like any other fantasy universe, there is no dwarves, elves, ect. But there is Tiste Andii, Trell, K'Chain, and many more, and none of them fit into any of the clichés.
    And it is worth it, probably one of the best fantasy series out there, and darker than almost all of them.

A series no description could ever do any justice.

3. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I just started Shadows of Self, it's good so far.

As for Kingkiller chronicles, yes, Kvothe is a bit of a Mary sue. However, it never feels as if he has some ridiculous, unfair advantage. He is very much an underdog and is constantly fighting a steep uphill battle to accomplish everything that he does. I would highly recommend it, it's a great read and Rothfuss' prose is fantastic.

4. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    In the german version it will be devided into 20 books I think, where 9 have been released already. I stopped somewhere at the beginning of the 8th because I was busy reading other stuff but damn. Never ever have I been so attached to characters in other any book.

5. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's really good. It has faults, but I love them anyways.

6. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Has anyone else read any of Michio Kaku's novels?
    He's a theoretical physicist and honestly everything I've ever read by him has been enchanting.

7. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not familiar with it. Care to explain?

8. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_of_the_Future
    Basically he takes his massive wealth of scientific knowledge and his unique stylistic writing and creates a beautiful picture of what technology, civilization and such could possibly be like in the future.
    He has quite a few books on various subjects, everything I've read by him has been fascinating.

9. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So is it science fiction or is he just guessing how the future will look like?

10. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a blend of science fiction and an educated guess based off of current technology using his degrees in theoretical physics and mathematics.
    Basically if anyone was going to guess where our future would be heading, it would be this guy.

11. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So there is no story, it's just his predictions?

12. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Some of the books have substories, but mostly it's predictions, childhood / high school / college experiences and research

13. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Currently reading Asylum:13 Tales of Terror by Matt Drabble.Ill drop a little review when I'm done

14. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I found SuperEgo by Frank J. Fleming, on an audible sale. The idea of following a psychopath assassin, seeing and hearing his internal thoughts as to all those odd actions we humans consider normal social behavior or moral, is quite funny. The sci-fi story isn't bad either, and works well. I had some good time with it, and I recommend it, although I can only base my experience on the audio-book.

Its quite decent, but slow. Basically waiting for the action is somewhat similar to waiting for whenever the next book comes out, as that is mostly what the first two books are: The setup. But a damn good one.

15. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just finished reading Calamity, the last book in the Steelheart series that Gilles and myself have recommended in this thread. Great book, good finish to a series. Nothing too heavy, just some solid, interesting, lightweight reading.

16. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I forgot it's out!!!!!!!! Gonna buy it today.

17. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    I used to read a lot when I was in high school. Things like Game of Thrones, Stephanie Plum, Inferno, Angels and Demons, etc.

Now, I don't have time to read and I haven't read anything in 4 years. Although, recently I just found out about audiobooks and I have been listening to them. I just finished The Mistborn trilogy last week and now I'm listening to The Martian by Andy Weir.

18. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh that sounds nice, I must take a look at it. Also it reminds me a bit of Ex-heroes by Peter Clines, but honestly his other book 14, and the not direct sequels to it, is the best he has written. Its a damn good, sci-fi thriller.

19. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've been reading a book that I got for free at a giveaway called Informal Logic, a Handbook for Critical Argumentation by Douglas N. Walton, published by Cambridge University.
    "This is an introductory guidebook to the basic principles of how to construct good arguments and how to criticize bad ones." It's very well written and highly dense in information. I highly recommend it and I'm going to read it at least a couple more times.

What results in a book being added to the original post of this thread?

20. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We don't really have a system for it, if you want me to add a book, just tell me.

It would be nice if you wrote a short review of the book too, so I could add a link
    to it as well.

There's no such thing as not having time, you can always make time.
    You've more likely lost interest, or think it's not important enough for
    you anymore. In any case, don't hide behind lies.