• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] The Night Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
The Night Calls is a cinematic created by me for the Cinematic Contest going on at the moment.

This is beta at the moment, and I would like to have some feedback on what I can improve on it.

Attachments

• TheNightCallsBeta2.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 169
  • tNC_01.jpg
    tNC_01.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 213
  • tNC_02.jpg
    tNC_02.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 204
  • tNC_03.jpg
    tNC_03.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 154
  • tNC_04.jpg
    tNC_04.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 169
  • tNC_05.jpg
    tNC_05.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 162
  • tNC_09.jpg
    tNC_09.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Level 24
I checked it moment ago and it's pretty damn good tbh
Made me feel sorry for that man and the music was perfect for the cinematic. It really felt like a short movie clip than just some regular WC3 cinematic.
You could add a little bit more variation to the nature and use that grass model more often.
I didn't get any bugs or crashes while watching this and that's good.
I just didn't get the hanging woman, shouldn't she be burried? Also the house that collapses needs to collapse a bit slower to make it look more realistic imo.
But overall it was amazing :p

Level 24
I checked it moment ago and it's pretty damn good tbh
Made me feel sorry for that man and the music was perfect for the cinematic. It really felt like a short movie clip than just some regular WC3 cinematic.
You could add a little bit more variation to the nature and use that grass model more often.
I didn't get any bugs or crashes while watching this and that's good.
I just didn't get the hanging woman, shouldn't she be burried? Also the house that collapses needs to collapse a bit slower to make it look more realistic imo.
But overall it was amazing :p

I'll see if I can make the house collapse a bit slower. And as for the woman that was hanging in the graveyard, it doesn't really make any difference whether shes there or not, it was just part of the terrain, so I can easily remove it.

Level 31
1) Terrain - Well develop, but it have 1 serious flaw. The entire forest look like it been curse, there is not a single wild life such as rabbit, bird, frog, stag and etc etc could be seen.
2) Camera - Good and flawless.
3) Animation - The animation was good, nothing else to said. Of course, the house might collapse quite fast. Then again, the fire seems to be raging quite violently, so no doubt it could collapse that fast.
4) Sound & Sound Effect - No sound for voice act (It's alright), but you could have add sound effect for burning body, wind, rain and etc etc.
5) Music - The music seems to fit the theme.
6) Scripting/Triggering - Well done, it have every basic cinematic setup and it was created in precise timing; thus everything was working at the perfect timing. Even though there is a memory leak, this map was a single player map and there is no lag occur. Thus, there is nothing to be negative about it.

What need to be fix?

Add wild life to forest and add some sound effect for the weather and everything would be fine.

Once you did this, this cinematic really deserve 4/5 (Recommend)

Level 18
I see you've added some more to the story since your previous BETA.

Everything looks good now. The need for answers to the Why's slimmed a lot. The only comments I have is the wild life (like Septimus said) and the jump (I know it's a hard part).
I've noticed the jumping animation problem myself in the last cinematic contest. For some reason it's hard to pause the animation when changing flying height. But if you're able to fix that, it would look very realistic. It's not a must, because I know it's a real pain in the @$$.

I'd rate it a good 4/5.

Level 24
1) Terrain - Well develop, but it have 1 serious flaw. The entire forest look like it been curse, there is not a single wild life such as rabbit, bird, frog, stag and etc etc could be seen.
2) Camera - Good and flawless.
3) Animation - The animation was good, nothing else to said. Of course, the house might collapse quite fast. Then again, the fire seems to be raging quite violently, so no doubt it could collapse that fast.
4) Sound & Sound Effect - No sound for voice act (It's alright), but you could have add sound effect for burning body, wind, rain and etc etc.
5) Music - The music seems to fit the theme.
6) Scripting/Triggering - Well done, it have every basic cinematic setup and it was created in precise timing; thus everything was working at the perfect timing. Even though there is a memory leak, this map was a single player map and there is no lag occur. Thus, there is nothing to be negative about it.

What need to be fix?

Add wild life to forest and add some sound effect for the weather and everything would be fine.

Once you did this, this cinematic really deserve 4/5 (Recommend)

Ok I'll add some wildlife to the terrain, and I'll also see about adding some sound effects to the cinematic.

Um, when he is running twords that cliff, make it so he is walking. And then when the camera pans right, I didn't like how he just kept scratching his hair. It made him look kindof like a junkie, or maby lice. I dont know, it was pretty good though. I liked it

I'll see what I can do, I don't really know what I can do about the walking though, apart from just making him move slower.

I see you've added some more to the story since your previous BETA.

Everything looks good now. The need for answers to the Why's slimmed a lot. The only comments I have is the wild life (like Septimus said) and the jump (I know it's a hard part).
I've noticed the jumping animation problem myself in the last cinematic contest. For some reason it's hard to pause the animation when changing flying height. But if you're able to fix that, it would look very realistic. It's not a must, because I know it's a real pain in the @$$.

I'd rate it a good 4/5.

I'll see if I can pause his animation when he's jumping.

I've just added a few screenshots of some of the updated terrain to the first post. I've added some wildlife like Septimus suggested, and i've also changed the grass model, since I didn't really like the grass model used before. All need to do now is fix the characters animation when he's jumping and add some sound effects, and then the cinematic should be done. Hopefully I will get the new version uploaded tomorrow.

Level 2
The choice of music was superb, as were the camera angles (though there was one whilst he was walking towards the burnt house that seemed a little out of focus) and the terrain was fantastic, though I must agree the hanged woman was a little off putting. Make no mistake though, this an an exceptional piece of work. It just needs a little polish in a couple of areas, that's all. :)

In terms of the script, there were a couple of spelling errors here and there though I believe Septimus has pointed what errors there were out. I thought the guard's speech could have been fleshed out to give a little more impact, it just seemed a little vague in that respect. Some voice work wouldn't hurt either, though at such a late stage, fine tuning should be the main thing.

With the jump, perhaps fixing up the animation could be an idea so he isn't running as he falls, or perhaps panning the camera across the scene without the man in view and then back in once he has hit the ground would be an idea, it's not a massive issue though, and it wasn't an area I felt needed that much polish.

Also, on the updated images, it might be an idea to shrink down the size of the animals for added realism.

As I said though, the music, sound, camera work, atmosphere and environments were all top notch, all it needs is a little tweaking here and there, otherwise it is fantastic. :)

Level 18
That's what I said before. It's an issue that's hard, if not impossible to fix. For some reason setting the animation speed to 0% while changing flying height or something doesn't work. Then it stops animating when the flying height is reached or the unit stopped moving. Not sure exactly what causes it, but I had the same issue with my previous cinematic.
So it's not Bob's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.