Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

cinematic section seems to be dying?

Discussion in 'Cinematics' started by millzy, Nov 10, 2010.

?

cinematics

1. i agree the cinematic map section seems to be dying

34.9%
  2. yer its dying and having a cinematic contest would be awsome

56.6%
  3. cinematics are boring........

13.3%
  4. some cinematics are fun to watch

26.5%
  5. the cinematic map section isent dead what are you talking about

8.4%
  6. Im going to make a cinematic

16.9%
  7. it be good to see what you can do with the battle cinematics

14.5%
  8. you should do somthing with your cinematic series (revenge of the blademaster)

14.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't agree that it's dying though, it's just that it's hard to find people who make cinematics only, but I'm sure as the time passes more and more people would come, one of my friends is making one too and plans to post his one soon:)

2. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, it's not a matter of opinion as much as it is a matter of fact. The cinematic section is dying, there's no question about it. Most, if not all experienced, veteran cinematographers have left and there aren't nearly enough new ones to take their place. Moreover, with SC2 out (not to mention New Vegas, AC Brotherhood and other new, brilliant games) and the lack of anything new and original in the cinematic section people are simply starting to shun this whole field of warcraft mapping.

3. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then I say it's time to make this Cinematic Section liven up again, who's up for the contest, which I bet will make Warcraft III Cinematics more popular than playing any of the above games if we do it well enough:)

4. Dr. Boom

Dr. Boom

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Moin moin =)

I voted for a cinematic contest, this would be a great idea, if someone can do something like that and yes cinematic section for life =)

Greetings and Peace
    Dr. Boom

5. Lambdadelta

Lambdadelta

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    +VOTE for Cinematic Contest. I love a good cinematic.

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The last two cinematic contests were a failure. I, at least, will oppose the suggestion of a new one.

7. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well we could at least try it again, it's not like we'll lose a leg or something. Just post your cinematic contest idea here.

8. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Cinematics... you realise that they aren't really even that relevant to Wc3? Wc3 WE was designed to make 'normal' maps, not full-scale Cinematics anyways.

9. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wrong. Completely wrong, in fact. I'd say something else, but it'd be considered flaming.

The WE has several sections of it's code specifically designed for cinematics. The environment, lighting and camera tab of the GUI, though used elsewhere are mostly for cinematics. The cinematics tab is designed only for cinematics. Cinematics play a large part in the campaign and in map making. They are also the only real source of art in the map making world. While other maps rely mostly on gameplay, some on story, the cinematics rely solely on art, be it terrain, camera work, story or special effects. Usually all those combined.

10. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Wc3 WE was designed to make 'normal' maps, not full-scale Cinematics anyways.

Yes, I know what cinematics are and rely on. I myself like cinematics, but I'm just stating the truth. Wc3 was made to hold cinematics in maps, not cinematics as maps. Cinematics are supposed to be short cutscenes, like in the campaign. They're not supposed to be the map itself. It is a user-created art. So, if that's the case, then there wouldn't be much cinematic-makers in the first place.

11. Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I Guess the editor is too primitive to just continue working with it. The cinematics aren't supposed to be long anyway, and there aren't supposed to be it's own individual maps. But still, from time to time, I stumble across a great Cinematic, such as the series of cinematics "Bloodline" (Watching it since the first one was made), and that's enough reason why continuing doing them. The creator surely is supposed to play around with the editor for like good 5 months before he can make a "Good" cinematic.
    Well, If you ask me for my honest opinion, I'd rather start learning making real cut-scenes / cinematics (Such like the ones in the next-gen games), using Maya/3dsmax/whatever.

12. Phoonix

Phoonix

Resources:
    Resources:
    well, CMarket, this might sound weird but I'm still waiting for you to continue lonely Panter ^^

13. Craphter

Craphter

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    God I'd kill for Blizzard updating WE :(

14. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's be great to attract more of Cinematic Lovers though, they'll sure spice up the mapping experience!

PS: @Crapther - I head they will, lets be patient and wait:)

15. greasontim

greasontim

Resources:
    Resources:
    I bet is someone got bored enough they would make a full on 1 hour movie with WE.
    Though you are right this section is pretty dead now

16. Phoonix

Phoonix

Resources:
    Resources:
    a one hour movie made in WE would suck, cinematic in WC3 are good because they are short and well many other things, but if you make them to long it becomes annoying and boring very fast. thats why people make cinematic series on not just full length movies.

17. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    That will never happen.

18. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Heh, Unfortunately you're wrong Vengeancekael, a friend of mine knows a Blizzard employee who mentions that Blizzard would bring many updates to the World Editor along with a Battle.Net patch, I heard it was pretty nice. So do expect this section to be blooming anytime soon!

19. CMarket

CMarket

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Either your friend is lying or the "employee" is lying. Blizzard didn't update the game itself (by which I mean bring new content) for a very very very long time. Not to mention the fact that even if new content was introduced they wouldn't and more importantly couldn't update the WE in such a manner that it makes things interesting and new again.

Finally, even if all of the above was false, Blizzard would never bring significant content to the cinematic part of warcraft mapping.

If Blizzard knows one thing, it's how to profit in the gaming industry. This move wouldn't bring any profits.

20. TheWarchief

TheWarchief

Resources:
    Resources:
    This may happen but i think it would be together with a Warcraft 4 if it ever comes.

Cinematics can be good but warcraft 3 is just in my opinion not a good tool to make cinematics in. Besides that cinematics (in my opinion) tend to get boring if they are not made very well with camera and action on the screen.

Also a big minus for making a cinematic in wc3 is that its hard to make it "alive". You would need some voice actors before you can make a really good cinematic and if you can't do it yourself some very good terrainers and maybe even moddellers.

Making a cinematic in wc3 is just... complicated.