• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] Cinematic Mini-Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
cinematics.gif

Cinematic Mini-Contest #1

Theme

Welcome to the first Mini-Contest for the Cinematic forum! For this Contest, you are to create a short 1 vs 1 hero scene, it can be a Drama, a Battle Scene or a Comedy. There has to be some type of Conflict between the two heroes in the Cinematic. Whatever type of Cinematic you make though, you will be marked on the same Criteria except for one field, which will change for what type of Cinematic you make.

Rules
  • All cinematics must be made from scratch. No Cinematic may have been started before the Contest starts.
  • The Cinematic can not be any other Genre apart from Battle, Drama or Comedy.
  • The cinematic can go for no more then 1 minute.
  • You may not work in Teams, you must make this Cinematic on your own.
  • WEU and Custom Cinematic Systems can be used for the Cinematic, however you have to clearly state if you have used it or not.
  • There is no limit to how many imports you may have in a map, however please try and keep the file size down as much as possible.
  • Credits, Titles and other small extras like that do not count as part of the time limit, but remember that everything else can go for no more then 1 minute.

Criteria
The Cinematics will be judged by me, and there will be a public poll. However how many votes people received in the public poll will be added onto their score that they are given from me, giving them a final score.

General Criteria
  • Cameras Movement/Positioning /10
    How well have the Cameras been placed, and how well do they move? Do the Cameras go through trees and other Doodads?
  • Units / Animations /10
    How good is the movement and positioning of units in the Cinematic? Do the units move around or does everyone just stand in exactly the same spot? Have animations been used well in the Cinematic? Have Animations been used at all?
  • Terrain/Environment /10
    How good is the terrain of the Cinematic? How much detail is there in the terrain? Does the fog look good, if any?
  • Sounds/Music /10
    How well have Sounds and Music been used in the Cinematic? Have sounds been used well, creating a nice atmosphere to the Cinematic? Has appropriate Music been selected, if some is even used?
  • Storyline/Dialouge /05
    How well has the Storyline been made, and has the Dialouge been well written (if any)?
  • Entertainment /15
    Was the Cinemaitc entertaining? Did it entertain me for the whole 60 seconds? Did it have any boring bits that took up time, and had almost no purpose, or was all of the cinematic to the point, and entertaining?
Genre Criteria
  • Battle /10
    How well has the Battle been made in the Cinematic?
  • Drama /10
    Was the scene Dramatic? Was it boring, or was it interesting?
  • Comedy /10
    Was the Comedy in the Cinematic any good? Was it actually funny?

Prizes
Here is a list of the Prizes that can be won from this Contest:
  • 1st Place - 20 rep and an Award Icon
  • 2nd Place - 10 rep
  • 3rd Place - 5 rep
All winners will also have their Cinematic put up in a showcase in the Cinematics Forum, so they have a permanent place in the forum.

Deadline

You will be given 2 weeks to create the Cinematic, so the deadline will be on 05/10/2007, so the 5th of October 2007. When you have finished your entry, you can post it in this thread. When the deadline is reached I will start judging the Cinematics and open the public poll. Please remember that no more entries will be accepted after the Deadline, and if an extension is given, it will be no more then a couple of days.

Entering and Submitting
If you want to enter the contest, you can simply send me an Private Message or make a post in this thread, stating that you would like to join the Contest. Once you have entered the contest, please post updates on your Cinematic as often as possible, to try and keep this thread active.

When you have finished your Cinematic, you can either post it here in this thread, or you can use the Pastebin, and then just Private Message me the link to the Paste.

Last edited:
Level 24
One minute time limit? Uh oh, thats tough.....or not :). Too many ideas = hard, few ideas = easy. I might do something if I get an idea :).

Yea the reason I had the time limit was because this is just a short contest, and if there wasn't one I'm sure people would try and make a huge cinematic, that has no chance of getting completed in time, so I added a really short time limit.

I think it's very hard to make cinematic that is less than 1 minute. But well, I have to think about joining this contest. Let's see what I can do...

Just make the battle quick and action packed, shrink all the goodness down to an action packed 1 minute of mayhem!

Yea like ragingspeedhorn said, just have heaps of action, or drama, or comedy or whichever one your making.

Level 19
I could try to do something.
1 vs 1 hero scene
As Mechmap asked couldn't they just be two units?
Credits, Titles and other small extras like that do not count as part of the time limit.
What are other small extras? If I do a drama there might be during fades a second time of black screen or something so does this count towards the limit?

Level 24
I'm in. It's about time I return to making cinematics.

Sign me up for this one, never made a movie in my whole life so this will be interesting :wink:

Glad to hear that you will be entering the contest :infl_thumbs_up:

I'll join, but I have never made a cinematic either. I think i'll make a battle scene.

Umm... is it all right to include other units in say, a flashback?

Yep, that should be perfectly fine.

As Mechmap asked couldn't they just be two units?

Yea they could be if you wanted to.

What are other small extras? If I do a drama there might be during fades a second time of black screen or something so does this count towards the limit?

Depends on whether or not its just a fade, or whether or not its for something like titles or credits. If its just to fade between a scene or something like that, then yea, it probably will be part of the Cinematic, if its for Titles, Credits or something like that then it won't.

Level 24
Nice to see so many entering, hopefully I won't get my ass whooped too much.

Don't worry rage, I have complete confidence that you will forget about your cinematic in a couple of days.

I just came up with a nice small battle idea yesterday. :)

Good, now lets just hope you can finish the Cinematic before the deadline :)

Level 37
MadseN, I know. I have been doing it all the time with my cinematics. I have done three cinematic and each of them timing is very important. It's very frustrating especially, in my Art Of Life cinematic. It's 29 min long. But in one minute, it can be even frustrating because you have so short time... that's why I have been thinking what should I do.

Level 24
I am going to join too!!I am thinking of a comedy....Some questions i have:

-Shall it have a map preview???
-Loading Screen???
-Shall someone die in the end?

Yea like raging said, you can decide whether or not to have a map preview or loading screen.

And as for someone dieing, you don't have to, but if you are doing a battle cinematic I would say that it would be best to, but there is no rule saying someone has to die.

[off-topic] aw bob, you made your avatar just like cracka-J's, thats not original, kekeke w.e [/off-topic]

ahem, any way, there CAN be like, more than just 2 units right? but like the 2, are the main chars? but im kinda frustrated with this model i made and its just showing me a green tiled (you know) box in the game. :( it viewd in warcraft viewer just fine.

Level 24
[off-topic] aw bob, you made your avatar just like cracka-J's, thats not original, kekeke w.e [/off-topic]

ahem, any way, there CAN be like, more than just 2 units right? but like the 2, are the main chars? but im kinda frustrated with this model i made and its just showing me a green tiled (you know) box in the game. :( it viewd in warcraft viewer just fine.

Lol, I didn't just make my avatar like Craka_J, I made my title, profile, msn, signature, everything like Craka_J :infl_thumbs_up:

Yea, there can be extra units, but there has to be two main characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.