• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] cinematic section seems to be dying?

cinematics

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
i feel that the cinematic section is dying.

i like seeing cinematics mayby the hive should have another cinematic contest.

i sort of feel like putting out battle cinematics like orc vs human then night elf vs orc or somthing like that.

there are like no cinematic series any more

Level 6
"yer its dying and having a cinematic contest would be awsome"...This is my oppinion...yes the cinematic makers should continue their great work...and a contest to stimulate this would be more than great

Level 4
I feel like it was never really THAT alive. Cinematics aren't really a niche that all that many mappers fall into and stay in, and the community isn't as big as it once was.

At the same time, if you can get the interest generated, it would be nice to see more activity. A contest would be nice, though whoever hosts it would want to make sure to present it well and keep it updated nicely to avoid it falling through.

Level 14
A cinematic contest isn't possible, in my opinion. The last "successful" contest had two entries, from me and Hemlock, both of whom have pretty much forsaken the W3 universe.

Warcraft 3 is dying in general. The cinematics are the first to go, I guess.

Level 16
well, True, almost all things galaxy has can still be done in World editor, but its just easier to be done in Galaxy editor.

anyways, cinematic isn't that much popular compared to multiplayer map, since mostly is not interactable, nor is it multiplayable, there is lesser fun in it, and it can never be as Famous as multiplayer maps.

but i see the only fun thing a cinematic has, compared to other maps, its just that they are missing interaction, if we could make choices, or doing the battle scenes with something interactable, cinematic will be a whole new popular genre.

Such cinematics do exist.
Here's one for example.

Also the galaxy editor is definitely way better than the warcraft 3 editor. Why?
-Advanced Object editor (Don't whine now, it may look a bit complicated, but you will quickly understand everything)
-Advanced GUI (UI, more unit control,...)
-Better terrain editor
-You can actually elevate the terrain with triggers now
There are just too many pluses.

Level 14
Even so, it's still the galaxy editor and until a huge amount of models appear to provide us with different settings other than space and aliens that's the only thing it'll be.

As for the cinematic you've mentioned, it's older than several of my cinematics, and my cinematics are quite old now.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I believe that, with CMarket's series, people were inspired. I remember seeing more original (and somewhat good) work after the Sect of the Holy Mother was completed. Now, I feel that people have perhaps lost that inspiration. The flux of new work has decreased again since then -- of that I am sure.

Level 19
I don't agree that it's dying though, it's just that it's hard to find people who make cinematics only, but I'm sure as the time passes more and more people would come, one of my friends is making one too and plans to post his one soon:)

Level 14
Well, it's not a matter of opinion as much as it is a matter of fact. The cinematic section is dying, there's no question about it. Most, if not all experienced, veteran cinematographers have left and there aren't nearly enough new ones to take their place. Moreover, with SC2 out (not to mention New Vegas, AC Brotherhood and other new, brilliant games) and the lack of anything new and original in the cinematic section people are simply starting to shun this whole field of warcraft mapping.

Level 19
Then I say it's time to make this Cinematic Section liven up again, who's up for the contest, which I bet will make Warcraft III Cinematics more popular than playing any of the above games if we do it well enough:)

Level 14
Cinematics... you realise that they aren't really even that relevant to Wc3? Wc3 WE was designed to make 'normal' maps, not full-scale Cinematics anyways.

Wrong. Completely wrong, in fact. I'd say something else, but it'd be considered flaming.

The WE has several sections of it's code specifically designed for cinematics. The environment, lighting and camera tab of the GUI, though used elsewhere are mostly for cinematics. The cinematics tab is designed only for cinematics. Cinematics play a large part in the campaign and in map making. They are also the only real source of art in the map making world. While other maps rely mostly on gameplay, some on story, the cinematics rely solely on art, be it terrain, camera work, story or special effects. Usually all those combined.

Wc3 WE was designed to make 'normal' maps, not full-scale Cinematics anyways.

Yes, I know what cinematics are and rely on. I myself like cinematics, but I'm just stating the truth. Wc3 was made to hold cinematics in maps, not cinematics as maps. Cinematics are supposed to be short cutscenes, like in the campaign. They're not supposed to be the map itself. It is a user-created art. So, if that's the case, then there wouldn't be much cinematic-makers in the first place.

Level 10
I Guess the editor is too primitive to just continue working with it. The cinematics aren't supposed to be long anyway, and there aren't supposed to be it's own individual maps. But still, from time to time, I stumble across a great Cinematic, such as the series of cinematics "Bloodline" (Watching it since the first one was made), and that's enough reason why continuing doing them. The creator surely is supposed to play around with the editor for like good 5 months before he can make a "Good" cinematic.
Well, If you ask me for my honest opinion, I'd rather start learning making real cut-scenes / cinematics (Such like the ones in the next-gen games), using Maya/3dsmax/whatever.

Level 8
well, CMarket, this might sound weird but I'm still waiting for you to continue lonely Panter ^^

Level 19
It's be great to attract more of Cinematic Lovers though, they'll sure spice up the mapping experience!

PS: @Crapther - I head they will, lets be patient and wait:)

Level 13
I bet is someone got bored enough they would make a full on 1 hour movie with WE.
Though you are right this section is pretty dead now

Level 8
a one hour movie made in WE would suck, cinematic in WC3 are good because they are short and well many other things, but if you make them to long it becomes annoying and boring very fast. thats why people make cinematic series on not just full length movies.

Level 19
Heh, Unfortunately you're wrong Vengeancekael, a friend of mine knows a Blizzard employee who mentions that Blizzard would bring many updates to the World Editor along with a Battle.Net patch, I heard it was pretty nice. So do expect this section to be blooming anytime soon!

Level 14
Heh, Unfortunately you're wrong Vengeancekael, a friend of mine knows a Blizzard employee who mentions that Blizzard would bring many updates to the World Editor along with a Battle.Net patch, I heard it was pretty nice. So do expect this section to be blooming anytime soon!

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Either your friend is lying or the "employee" is lying. Blizzard didn't update the game itself (by which I mean bring new content) for a very very very long time. Not to mention the fact that even if new content was introduced they wouldn't and more importantly couldn't update the WE in such a manner that it makes things interesting and new again.

Finally, even if all of the above was false, Blizzard would never bring significant content to the cinematic part of warcraft mapping.

If Blizzard knows one thing, it's how to profit in the gaming industry. This move wouldn't bring any profits.

Level 4

This may happen but i think it would be together with a Warcraft 4 if it ever comes.

Cinematics can be good but warcraft 3 is just in my opinion not a good tool to make cinematics in. Besides that cinematics (in my opinion) tend to get boring if they are not made very well with camera and action on the screen.

Also a big minus for making a cinematic in wc3 is that its hard to make it "alive". You would need some voice actors before you can make a really good cinematic and if you can't do it yourself some very good terrainers and maybe even moddellers.

Making a cinematic in wc3 is just... complicated.

Level 19
I doubt they are lying though, because even small changes like increasing the map size limits would be reasonable. Anyways, a cinematic contest would be great to bring out our movie makers:)

Level 16
yeah, i hope so, my RPG cant be played, its over the size limit, so i stopped my project.

someone, tell blizzard!! Please..lol..

and i hope they fixed hashtable.

well, the cinematic section seems to be dying?..

then "its time to even the scales" isn't it mapmakers? :p

Level 7
This may happen but i think it would be together with a Warcraft 4 if it ever comes.

Cinematics can be good but warcraft 3 is just in my opinion not a good tool to make cinematics in. Besides that cinematics (in my opinion) tend to get boring if they are not made very well with camera and action on the screen.

Also a big minus for making a cinematic in wc3 is that its hard to make it "alive". You would need some voice actors before you can make a really good cinematic and if you can't do it yourself some very good terrainers and maybe even moddellers.

Making a cinematic in wc3 is just... complicated.

Warcraft IV wont ever exist. The continuation of the Warcraft Universe is WOW, and it went so damm well that I dont think theyll even think of Warcraft IV.

@Miss_Foxy na dude, they won't ever update it. Ever. They would be wasting time, for the updates must be free, and they wouldn't gain anything. If Blizzard doesn't gain in an activity, it is not done. Period.

Level 14
Warcraft IV wont ever exist. The continuation of the Warcraft Universe is WOW, and it went so damm well that I dont think theyll even think of Warcraft IV.

That's just not true. WoW, while being constantly improved has the same 10 year old engine to work with. Warcraft 4 is quite a possible reality, though we'll have to wait a year or two more for it to be announced alone, and then another ten (as Blizzard has a habit of doing) for it to be released.

Level 19

@Miss_Foxy na dude, they won't ever update it. Ever. They would be wasting time, for the updates must be free, and they wouldn't gain anything. If Blizzard doesn't gain in an activity, it is not done. Period.

They did say they'll make an RTS after WoW in order to put the storyline straight after The Emerald Dream though, so we could expect a Warcraft IV sometime later.
Anyways, back to topic, should we make a thread for a contest?

Level 8
ive been working on the Bloodline a little bit here and there.. but im no where near as dedicated as in the earlier episodes. im not as inspired to do wc3 mapping as i was when i started and i find little reason to be, other than the few fans im sorry to say this to.

Status
Not open for further replies.