1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Texturing Contest 13 Voting

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by THE_END, May 7, 2009.

?

Vote for your favorite skin!

Poll closed Jun 1, 2009.
  1. A.R.'s Sea Screamer?

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Pins' Naga Abyss Fiend?

18 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Denu's Nazjatar Leviathan?

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. FrIkY's Naga Slave Master?

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Xatoga's ArachNaga?

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Dionesiist's Naga Marauder?

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  7. 67Chrome's Naga Predator?

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. bananaHUNT's Naga Stalker?

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Pyramidhe@d's Naga Shredder?

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  10. Technomancer's Naga Behemoth?

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Pins

Pins

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I liked that cataclysmic ending :D
    Well, thanks everyone who have voted for me of course, and i hope my skin will find some use!
    Also, congrats to all other skinners who entered, there was simply no bad skin in here.

2. FrIkY

FrIkY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Congratulations to the winners! Ahahahaha!! This was so funny! Way to go Pyritie! xD

3. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oi, I was getting around to it

4. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    AR - 46 + ((5/89)*50) = 48.8089888
    Dio - 47 + ((11/89)*50) = 53.1797753
    Xatoga - 38 + ((3/89)*50) = 39.6853933
    67chrome - 50 + ((17/89)*50) = 59.5505618
    bananahunt - 44 + ((4/89)*50) = 46.247191
    denu - 48 + ((7/89)*50) = 51.9325843
    pyhe@d - 43 + ((13/89)*50) = 50.3033708
    pins - 45 + ((18/89)*50) = 55.1123596
    friky - 45 + ((7/89)*50) = 48.9325843
    technomancer - 47 + ((4/89)*50) = 49.247191

judging from ike_ike
    Adjudicating time!

How it works: I imported all the skins, and dumped them on the Sunken Ruins terrain,
    as per the Naga theme. I also dumped a bunch of the standard Naga units (i.e. a Royal
    Guard, a Siren, a Couatl and a Snap Dragon) next to each skin for comparison. All of
    the skins in this comp were good, only some were more good than others >_>

Note: The models were viewed at their default size. Remember, these skins were made
    to be used, not stared at on a model scaled ten times its size. Most of you had
    nothing to worry about, anyway.

Note 2: Judging this was a bloody nightmare. There weren't really any major screwups
    in any of the skins, so quite a lot of this may be purely my opinion. Sorry 'bout
    that guys.

A.R. - Lovely use of alpha on the cloak :) Follows Blizzard style very nicely, fits
    in perfectly with other naga. Colours are great. The TC sigils are great as well ...
    mmm, serpentine. A thing I noticed here, though, as was the case with almost all the
    other skins, was turning every flat surface into a fin. (I did this as well ... kek.)

Perhaps some manner of arcane scroll or a scaly section as opposed to giant orangey
    flapping things. But meh, it was still great. Especially from the game camera.

STUPID NOTE: The animations do weird things with the hair ._.

46/50

Dionesiist - Ah, originality. Horribly inventive model choice here. The chest (and
    the rider's scales in general) didn't quite turn out from game view, but close up is
    awesome. THe teeth on his mutant murloc (?) mount look AWESOME. The variety of
    colours used are also win. Using the mohawk was a good idea too. A shame that the
    scales on the rider didn't really work out though. The area where he joins on is a
    bit stretched out too D: However, it was VERY creative, and the mount looks great
    from every angle.

47/50

Xatoga - Erm. Have to say, I'm a bit confused about this one. Although I suppose a
    lobster isn't toooo much of a stretch, I don't think it's really very Naga. Concept
    wise, it's basically just a reddish arachnid with golden armour. I think
    incorporating some more distinctly Naga-ish touches would have helped. Not just the
    generic 'haz flat surface maek finz', but possibly some of those serpentine runes
    like A.R. used. An additional layer of highlights (or two) would have helped a lot
    too, to give it that glistening, just outta the water look. In game, it just looked
    rather dull compared to them vibrant Naga with their massively saturated cyan skin
    'n' scales. It's not horrible, but it's not too great.

38/50

67chrome - This. Is. Freaking. Awesome. You didn't even use the plain ol' Naga teal
    and greeny yellow colour scheme, you incorporated that lovely purple. Great use of
    team colour. The rider was badass too, considering the shape of the model beneath.
    Scales are still quite noticeable from ingame, and it really does look quite a lot
    like the Couatl. Great job. Weren't any noticeable flaws at all, really.

(also, the filesize is ridiculous. Really)

50/50

bananaHUNT - Arglarg, a nagalisk! The scales turned out well, but on the whole the
    model shape isn't really too Naga (strange, considering their legs and all, but I
    digress). Back on topic: Nice use of alpha on the back, 'though there is a rather
    nasty expanse of plain teal right behind the fins :/. The alpha on the fins was kinda
    meh, but the skin still looks pretty cool. The belly area could have done with more
    highlights and more blended shadows though.

44/50

Denu - Oh, my gawwwd. Fantastic. I know the wrap makes the fins really repetetive,
    but even then, the appearance is great. The wings and them delicate vein things are
    epic. An awesome centrepiece for any Naga army. Only perhaps you could introduce a
    few more colours into the scales? Maybe some veeeeeery low opacity greens? Pleeease?
    It IS rather repetetive, though, so that clipped a few marks off ... I'm rather
    surprised at how few votes this got though. But as said before, rather repetitive. I
    know the spine is repeated and all that, but it's just a bit blargh. The scales are
    quite defined, nice.

48/50

Pyramidhe@d - Your first skin, you say? Compared to other first skins, is epically
    win. I must say, though, you and Pins have a really unorthodox way of doing scales.
    They kinda look more like octopi suckers than scales from the game camera. The colour
    scheme was pretty generic, but adding that little Naga armour to the tail was a nice
    touch. A few more armour trinkets like that would have made the whole thing turn out
    better, I think. Adding the stripes made the skin more cohesive, methinks. The scales
    didn't really work out too well for WC3 though. Compared with the Naga, the style
    doesn't really fit. Looks great on the unwrap, but ingame the scales are kinda bleh.

43/50

Pins - Well, it's certainly the biggest departure in style from any of the other
    skins here. Completely clashes with the Warcraft naga, and to be honest, I didn't
    really like ittttt. But after a little inspection, it really is good, just not very
    War3 style. Um. Scales coulda used a bit more contrast, 'cause it looks really smooth
    from the game cam right now. As with Pyra's, it looks fantastic on the unwrap, but
    wrapped up at normal distance the details just get swallowed up. The slimeyness is
    nais. But as before, you needed rather more contrast on the scales for them to turn
    up.

45/50

FrIkY - Moo. The scales look pretty awesome on this one. Can't say I'm particularly
    fond of the wings or his little collar though :/ I know the theme was Naga, but that
    doesn't necessitate fins everywhere, and the wings kinda dominate the whole thing.
    The armoured sections are quite cool, although maybe a little more delineation
    between the plates would have been nice, and another layer of highlights. The
    pristine white claws are kinda bleh with the Naga (GOLD CLAWS! GOLD I SEZ!), but on
    the whole this is pretty cool. The face is awesome.

45/50

Technomancer - This thing is hysterical. Not in a bad way, either. Although I was
    quite pissed at how annoying 'twas to import, it was actually quite a bit better than
    I initially though. I thought it was going to be a static piece of ... crap, to be
    blunt, but it's like a flying pufferfish scorpion =3. I LOVE the way it has those
    little claws crowding around the centre, the tail is nicely done and overall is
    surprisingly menacing. My only real qualm about it is how pale it is.If you'd
    darkened the whole thing overall and maybe splashed in some deeper green-blues, it
    would be on a whole new level. But overall, awesome!

47/50

1st - 67chrome
    2nd - Pins
    3rd - Dionesiist, yet again

Congrats everyone!

5. Pins

Pins

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I take back what I said, fuck you all!
    (lulz)

Congrats 67chrome !

6. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think we need to make a new account for Dionesiist strictly for awards. We can call it DionesiistAwardShowcase. :p

7. Denu

Denu

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Indeed, Dio is a great example of a Texture Gladiator in the Arena.

8. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm curious as to why his first places don't show under his avatar? Shouldn't it show your best, not the third and second places?

9. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They're in order of the time they were given.

10. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    :D

That was a very close contest.

11. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I want the contests I win, not the ones where I'm close to third place! D:

12. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ROLF!! yeah right.. who doesn't :xxd:

13. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    That Naga Wyvern thing got a 50/50 in judging? Wow, uh, right.

14. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol dusk you are so predictable, the second I saw "last post by Rising_Dusk" I thought "Oh yay, another post by dusk telling us how we're doinitrong" :p

15. ike_ike

ike_ike

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey, YOU find a flaw thar :D

I dunno ... I just didn't want to be negative for the sake of being negative. I think most of the flaws I picked out were on account of my ego being wounded anyhow, so yeah ...

16. frostwhisper

frostwhisper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Mmmm, to be honest I'd give the Wyvern like 47-8/50. Not a full 50 but something close.

17. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'd be fine with 46 :D

Edit - is that the final judgment for this contest? If so when will I get the + rep and Icon? If not is someone else going to Judge? How long are we going to wait before we start the next texturing contest? How long do contests usually take to be finished? Because I'm ready for this contest to be over, though if contests usually take 3 months to conclude I want to be sure who won, especially with the contest being so close.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  18. Denu

Denu

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I am pretty sure that most of the answers you will get will contain the word "eventually" :p

19. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    New contest now! D:

20. 67chrome

67chrome

Resources:
    Models: