• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #7 - Small World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Void, how doesn't it fit? You left it extremely open ended, and in my opinion, it falls within what you set fourth originally.

~Snap

I don't even care anymore, I even gave an example of what it should be, and we still get retarded submissions that in theory follow the theme, but they really weren't what I was hoping for when I made this theme. It's up to the judges.

Level 11
You have to understand people this is a Terrain Contest with a specific requirement. Otherwise it would be: go maek terain and b3sT for da win! The theme will have a huge impact on your rating so I would just suggest to find a damn way to make it fit.

I have to ask, if it's in the perspective of a titan, god etc, how'd you be doing that then? Him standing somewhere looking down, camera going down past him? Past his head? It's not like you can make a scene and then say "this is out of a titan's view", Megafyr's isn't exactly IN the theme but it's not directly OUT either. If the perspective of the camera was looking down from the giant, past his head I suppose, looking onto a small world, then I suppose it'd be in. For example, the thing I did here was an ordinary guy looking down - he might've felt all great and mighty, but obviously, that part was out of the theme. If it had been, I don't know, Zeus, then it'd probably (maybe) be in the theme.
Just what I think.

Level 10
Megafyr's terrain fits theme in my opinion because it is a world within a world - the titan is a world himself.

Belgrath yours was nowhere near the theme in my opinion as it was only 1 world from upclose then far away.

raid1000's terrain is really stretching it because there is no comparison to the world outside the "clock" and all you see is the inside, if he was not to even mention it were in a clock nobody would know.

Im not gonna keep debating what the theme is - and i will leave it up to the terrainer to make it as they see fit and be judged accordingly.

I still think if everyone made a bubble world or a map on a table it would not explore all the possiblitys of the theme itself and we should not resrict people to such basic ideas.

Last edited:
Level 36
I'm not saying everyone has to make a bloody bubble world, I'm saying that just sticking a giant monster in the middle of a city doesn't really show what this theme is supposed to be. Maybe if it was Atlas holding up a world or something like that, but a 200 foot tall monster isn't really what I meant when I said small world.

Level 16
I'm not saying everyone has to make a bloody bubble world, I'm saying that just sticking a giant monster in the middle of a city doesn't really show what this theme is supposed to be. Maybe if it was Atlas holding up a world or something like that, but a 200 foot tall monster isn't really what I meant when I said small world.

True shit.
this is a real small world:
v3powk.jpg

:D:D

Level 19
everybody's HDD's are getting corrupted nowadays :>
still it looks like a 10 min terrain so starting a new one will not make you lose anything

Level 10
A couple trees in a cup can hardly be consider a world.

Im still waiting for someone to make a solar system inside a room - thats what i woulda done.

Level 38
Smoothed out the fog a bit and added in a bunch of bubbles.

View attachment 57886

Does it look any better?

Looks cool. That would be a massive sink though, you should make the glasses bigger. Maybe even incorporate silverware in the city or something. The city seems a tiny bit plain, you should spice it up with a few other naga-ish doodads, like obelisks, statues, ruins library shelves, etc.

Level 15
Looks cool. That would be a massive sink though, you should make the glasses bigger. Maybe even incorporate silverware in the city or something. The city seems a tiny bit plain, you should spice it up with a few other naga-ish doodads, like obelisks, statues, ruins library shelves, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish there were silverware doodads somewhere, but i couldnt find any.

Level 15
New WIP. Changed fog, closer camera view, and added in some more buildings.

Sink 1.jpg

My plan was to give some of the naga swim animations. So i triggered them, but when i went ingame it look completely different. The lighting was way off.
Ingame screenshot.
Ingame sink.jpg

So is there a way to make a unit play an animation without going ingame so that i dont have to completely rework the fog and lighting to fit well ingame?

Level 15
Seriously? lol. So should i go with the ingame one and work off that?

Here's an experiment. Sry about the "screen Captured" message thing. Also the Cam angle is a bit off and the lighting needs some work. But do you like it? If so, then i guess i'll use this as a new WIP.

Sink 3.jpg

EDIT: Oops forgot to put the fog in. Ill get another SS soon

Level 38
So is there a way to make a unit play an animation without going ingame so that i dont have to completely rework the fog and lighting to fit well ingame?

Well, if you check the demon hunter/gargoyle/druid of the talon or any other morphing unit they have a field under the Art-Required Animation Names that has a string set to alternate. If you set that string to "Swim" it will cause the naga unit you edited to always display their swimming animation :)

of course, you will have to make/use a separate unit for the swimming nagas and the walking/slithering nagas. Shouldn't be much of a problem considering you are only using ~4 different units. If you give the naga flying height you could have them swimming over buildings as well, though to get them to look like they are actually swimming rather than hovering in place you may need to give them triggers that order them to move/patrol to a certain point.

Edit - I'm pretty sure you can adjust flying height with triggers, but I could be wrong. Would at least mean only 1 flying unit, but to get triggers to work you would need to test the map in-game :(

Level 15
@67Chrome- I was actually using doodads for the naga. That way i can just control+PgUp them to where i need them to go. Because if i made units then i would have to make several units with different hights or else i would have all my swimming naga at the same height and it wouldnt look as good as it would if they were all varied. So i just found it easier to do with doodads.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Wippish WIP is Wippish

So, here's a quick-made WIP. It shows the ceilling/roof of an house. Well, what do ya think?

In some days, small guys will move to there and build their houses.

EDIT: Second WIP.

Attachments

• Contest 2-WIP 2.jpg
    Contest 2-WIP 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.