• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #2 - Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Oh...not in...height, but in quantity.

Let me try that a bit, it'll cover a lot of the ground at least.

EDIT: Nope...I don't think it helped too much.

Attachments

• Warcraft Mountain4.jpg
    Warcraft Mountain4.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 104
Level 7
I must say.. What the hell!? Give the ground some detail! You say "the bare rock gets the point across".. What would any art look like if the artist had that attitude? :(

It's not a bad concept, but get some detail in that rubber mound.

Level 34
Sabertooth, good to see you at the Hive! : )

I like this latest. The trees look much better now! Much much better.

Level 7
You should make the trees a bit smaller and add them behind the floating thing also, I just have the thought that the floating things should show great size in comparison to the trees, while at the same time showing the mountain's great size. I'd say cut the trees by 25% of their height and put more of them in. It does look better now though.

Level 15
When i said that the bushes grow higher then the trees, i meant that the bushes grow higher on the mountain(well, at least on mediterranean mountains) so on the bottom of the mountain you have loads of trees and bushes and as you go higher, you have more bushes and less trees. The only problem is, no mediterranean mountains are that high.

Level 36
MadseN said he is going to update it. Anyways, I agree that the only part that makes it awesome is the glow coming from inside the cave =)

So here is my first WIP, very early stages, it will not look much like this when I am done! =P

Also, I will probably edit the tileset =)

Attachments

• lawl.jpg
    lawl.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 130
Level 34
In my opinion Voids new one doesn't show mountain quite enough. The old one sure did though. I would accept the new one though. He'd get a low score on theme.

Just my humble opinion... wait my opinion is all that matters! Oh how I love being conceited.

Level 24
It isnt just your oppinion,he would lose a handful of points if it doesent point ot the mountain.

But as I see at all of you guys,you make a terrain,then you add a big mountain in the background to fit the theme.But a moutain is something different,in my point of view.

Level 7
Each contestant must create a terrain that somehow relates the theme mountains. This could be a terrain of a mountain or a terrain that highlights mountains in the background.

Judging Criteria
  • Overall appearance
  • Creativity
  • Relevance to the theme
  • Technical (the skill involved in the terrain)
The rules SEEM to imply that mountains should at least be of some importance. Yours is just... well, there.

And then 4 people answered before I could >: (

Also, I'm joining. And no, I won't win. Hopefully I remember to make the terrain and turn it in on time...

Level 10
NearbyHermit said:
But as I see at all of you guys,you make a terrain,then you add a big mountain in the background to fit the theme.But a moutain is something different,in my point of view.

You run into problems like me if you start with a mountain, sometimes. So sometimes it's smarter, development-wise, to fit the mountain in towards the end. But making it a prominent part of the terrain needs to be done as well.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Considering the fact that one can basically add a mountain to pretty much every terrain background, I believe that having this specific theme would imply doing just that: making the setting a mountain with all its characteristics: steep slopes, summits, you name it. Then make it look good. That is what I think should be judged in this case.

Level 34
That's lame as hell... I didn't realize the theme was "a mountain" as much as just a place "in the mountains".
As long as your terrain does make the viewer think of "in the mountains", that's fine. I said I would accept your last WIP, but it didn't have the same obvious theme of mountains as your first one.

frostwhisper, I said highlights mountains in the background. That means they should stand out. I don't think Voids background does, but his overall terrain is (to me) obviously on a mountain.

Level 34
Well... hate to break it to ya, mate, but ya know there are... mountains... in the mountains.
I don't follow you.

EDIT: Lol, the WIP made me think "winter forest with dead trees" however not mountain. So yeah, I strongly advise you to put a highlight on it.
That's true, but to me it still looks mountainous enough.

Level 34
Ya see, Gilles, he be making a distinction between a mountain and a place in the mountains, which are basically the same explained through my theory which Sabertooth confirmed.

<3
I still don't see your point. Void was simply saying that he thought he could make a terrain of an area on a mountain, and that it didn't need to show a whole mountain (ie sabertooths terrain).

Status
Not open for further replies.