• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #13: Poll

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #11

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1998485-post440.html]Brambleclaw[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I see there are three people with most points... just like always... man, sometimes I wish for a more intresting competition when it's not that clear who will obviously win from the middle of voting time... still wonder what will be the judge raitings.
Two with 11 votes, one with 13 ---- in a contest where the poll determines a measly 25% of the winner?

I sure can't tell who'll win this.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Oh we're so even.

lijstje2.jpg

Level 5
Since my internet speed sucks, I was like: "Oh when is this shit picture going to load so I can vote?" And then I realized that there was a shit among submissions. And I must say it's a really nice shit... (Up to now fladdermasken thinks I'll vote for him)
But I'm sorry to disappoint you, my vote goes for Oziris.

Level 19
This is a hard one... Oziris or fladdermasken?

Well, I choose...

fladdermasken

Both look really nice to me, but that one he made just makes me want to visit it so badly for all that technology and yet such peacefulness, although that fictional land Oziris made looks nice too with it's 'Ethiopia' kind of look.

Level 11
For the sheer technicality involved and for the interesting concept, my vote goes for my friend fladdermasken. Not necessarily because hes a friend, but because hes brilliant in what he does. I hope he wins the contest too.

Level 36
To reason for my voting, even though it was a close call between Johannesr, fladdermasken and Oziris for me, I voted solely on nostalic reasons, while Johannesr's terrain has a very strong atmosphere, and fladdermasken's terrain is somewhat of a perfection technically wise, Oziris's terrain is the only one that envoked some strange feeling of "oldschool" within me. There is just something about the terrain that brings back the memory of the old days of terraining, and that is why he got my vote.

Good luck to you all, though, and may the best one win.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39

Poll is now closed,
I tip my hat to everyone who made the effort to actually vote.

Since motivational reflections are afoot, I thought I might speak my piece in regards to why I voted for elredir. Gun to the head I struggled like the rest of you, which in turn speaks volumes about why this poll was tight as a duck's arse. I narrowed it down to Oziris and elredir anyways; I won't go into detail about that part, who gives a crap about the elimination process anyways?

Oziris, your execution is brilliant. The only turn off I can consider would be the disordered foreground. An apparent mix of colors and objects, one which I consider to detract from the actual concept. I would push for a plateau of sorts to convey some perspective and cover the right side a tad. As of now I can't shake the feeling that some objects in the foreground are just there to accomodate for the abundance of space. It's quite a subjective standpoint, and I'm quite sure most wouldn't hold to the same notion. You should really take pride in the background though. Pardon my french, but holy shit you did a great job both with the fading and general lighting and dynamics. As far surprises goes, I'm actually really coming to love that bone pile (word?) despite it being a thorn at first.

Elredir, your entry had some apparent flaws. Listed in order of significance; abundance of empty space, eyesore rock formations in the background, one cloud being too small. I really don't want to see such rock formations from a well versed terrainer. For future reference, bigger scales in fewer numbers is always far more appealing. Can't really stress that enough. And yes, the abundance of space is in fact a bit of a turn off. So why did I vote for you? ---- In fact, it's as simple as that your entry just appealed to me. The concept is brilliant, I'm a blatant fan of your perfectly executed constructions (despite that the dome of the wonder appears to be off to the right, which sort of fractures the 3D effect a tad) and you have a sense of style which I just find fucking brilliant.

- Give me a thumbs-up if you like my crappy reviews as much as I do :p

Reviews... sort of

Courtesy of a drunk but truthful fladdermasken

Johannesr, I love your out there ideas. But this didn't strike me as much as for instance your Ion Storm terrain (which more or less left me speechless, damn that was a fine terrain). Sure, this is actually the first time I've seen someone portray the outline of a metropolitan district without it looking like horsecrap. And sure you have a thing for finding just the models to help you with the above mentioned. But I still can't come to like that lighting. The notion to model planets or moons with the cloudbox is a very commendable one, but it didn't really work out quite as well in my opinion. The clouds in general appear spammed and unpleasant, I just can't help but to mention that. Again I'm farily sure most of my fellow colleagues would burn me at the stake for even considering that, but I just can't ignore it. On the plus side I actually didn't like the foreground at first, but now I've grown rather fond it. You really are a great terrainer, you've made that blatantly obvious on numerous occasions, but I feel like you could take it much further than this.

L2love, this is a very beautiful piece apart from a few very eyesore details, to put it as fladdermasken~ish as I could possibly muster in this state. In fact, if it hadn't been for said flaws I would've voted for you. My main concern being the mountains - they just look like chaotic noise. Pardon the asperity, but that was just a major turn off. My second, far less decisive, concern is the clouds. They look better than your first rendition, much better at that, but they still appear stretched and spammed. And I'm still not sure I like the color, fairly subjective critique, but critique nonetheless. But really, apart from this you pulled out a great piece from your arse. Chains might be a bit overdue, but as far as the constructions go... excellent work. I'm especially partial to how you used the cityscape doodads to such an extent that they actually look proper sexy. The towers and the bridge, major plus on the side. Could do with a tad bit more tree variation, if not different models then at least different color tones to detract from the otherwise monochromatic curtain of pines. But that's just a matter of preference. Looking forward to more terrains from you, oh yes I am.

Azurot, my lovely little Azurot. You have the uncanny ability to impress me with whatever you conjour. I can't even put my finger on it. I guess it's your sense of style that just indulges me. Apart from that, your terrain does seem rather unfinished. I don't think you actually put too much effort into this one, and I'm open to discuss that statement if you would care to. But yes, technically I can't point out much that I would consider fatal flaws. A few misplaced and disfigured rocks in the foreground, lack of eyecandy etc. Well actually, the latter is something that could and should be considered. But I suppose that applies to my earlier assumption of you not putting as much effort into this as you could.

Alagremm, I've actually never seen you terrain before, or seen much of you period. If this is your first try, kudos, you've actually made an impression on me. Has some flaws that could be tended to however, and I'd be more than willing to point them out for you as I take delight in pointing out seemingly inconspicuous flaws. For instance, I like the choice of textures for the rocks, but you picked a the poorest of models on which it's attached (refering to the pointy ones) - at least poorest choice of models to highlight. As much as I love the pillar-like stalagmites, you should still avoid those rough edges. I mean rough in this case is okay, but not pentip pointy. Another detail which caught my eye is the ferns and shrubbery growing on the plateau. Doesn't seem like there should be such a contrast in color tones. Find one tone that suits the enviroment, and vary it only slightly to get a neat gradient effect. Apart from the mentioned pentip edges, you did a marvelous job with the background and the fading. And I'm quite partial to the concept of the tiny houses, well designed. As a matter of fact, this entire concept pretty much pleases me. To wreck it would be mostly nitpicking (and not the kind of nitpicking I generally favor) Hope to see more from you in the future.

Speaking of which, make sure you enter this - since there'll be a slight break in between contests after this one is wrapped up.

That concludes my thoughts...
If you aren't mentioned and want me to review your piece, P.M me or something.

All in good fun, all in good fun. Holy crap that's a wall of text by the way. I'll be urged to slap myself in the morning. At least drunk fladdermasken considers this to be in good tast, quite tastful indeed. With this I bid you good night, I'll be sleeping it off for a while now. But yes, good contest. Good contest...

Oh yes, complementary rep to the entries I just reviewed.

Good night.

Level 23
Alagremm, I've actually never seen you terrain before, or seen much of you period. If this is your first try, kudos, you've actually made an impression on me. Has some flaws that could be tended to however, and I'd be more than willing to point them out for you as I take delight in pointing out seemingly inconspicuous flaws. For instance, I like the choice of textures for the rocks, but you picked a the poorest of models on which it's attached (refering to the pointy ones) - at least poorest choice of models to highlight. As much as I love the pillar-like stalagmites, you should still avoid those rough edges. I mean rough in this case is okay, but not pentip pointy. Another detail which caught my eye is the ferns and shrubbery growing on the plateau. Doesn't seem like there should be such a contrast in color tones. Find one tone that suits the enviroment, and vary it only slightly to get a neat gradient effect. Apart from the mentioned pentip edges, you did a marvelous job with the background and the fading. And I'm quite partial to the concept of the tiny houses, well designed. As a matter of fact, this entire concept pretty much pleases me. To wreck it would be mostly nitpicking (and not the kind of nitpicking I generally favor) Hope to see more from you in the future.

Well, never was in a teraining contest before, figured I should join =P

Yes, I too came to dislike the things you noted. Though I only found the colors of the plants to be too random after I was done. In all truth, I wanted to have the stone wall on the foreground to be covered with crawler plants, trying to make it look as realistic as possible, but sadly, I could not do it. Same with the foliage on the ground, I expected to have it fully covered, but didnt get to it in time.
I think if I ever redid the terrain, I would emphazise dark green(as you noted, the plants would be of the same color scheme) and grey.

Thanks for the review, hopefully I'll be able to be in more terraining contests with you guys =D

Level 17
@fladder Thanks for the kind words :) Too bad you didn't like the lighting tho, i guess i just prefer darker lighting and some ppl told me to make it even darker, but i didn't.. Also i had a bit of a lack of motivation when working on this due to terraining kind of dying out :/ I wish all the guys like megafyr, void, raid1000 etc. were still here...

Oh and about Ion Storm, it sure is the best thing i've done, but i originally had an even more epic idea for it which turned out to be too difficult to execute (if not impossible).

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
when are the results coming up?
M0rbid is out of town, should be back in a day or two. I don't know about Chaos, but he's usually crazy efficient - so as soon as I have the judging on my desk I'll have the results posted shortly after. This really is the only answer I'll provide, because this will apply until I say otherwise.

Judging is no cakewalk, so it's only fair we give them the space they need.

But really, should anything dramatic occur I'll post something about it; rest assured.

Level 15
I finished a week ago about the same time that the poll ended. I've just been profiting M0rbid's absence to double check everything. I will send you the results whenever he gets back.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Oh yes, results.
When can we see the results?
I have M0rbid's judging, I expect to get my hands on Chaos' soon enough seeing as he's done already. I'll compile it in an hour or less, so expect them shortly. The math definitely won't take me long seeing as there's a considerable ammount less entries to compile this time around.

- I'd say a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.