• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest #7 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36

Terrain Contest #7 JUDGING
The following is the judging of the Terrain Contest #7.

Chaos
Not bad, the floor looks bad, tho. It doesnt scream epic when you see it. I don't like the huge pot thing. You should have made the city more crowded, with more effects and lightning, just abit more epic, but Ok.
Final Score: 3.5/10

CoBra b
The globe is pure win. And the whole concept is pretty nice. Tho, this terrains flaw is the background. If the background was as epic as the globe, this terrain would be pure win.
Final Score: 5/10

Corexx
Awesome terrain, love the tree root idea. The pond looks abit bad, IMO. All in all it's a good terrain, but it just doesn't scream that Wow! How the fucking hell did he do that.
Final Score: 7/10

Dark Master
Well what can I say, there isn't much going around and the brazier looks like shit. The whole building is pretty simple and i dont get what the fuck they're doing in water or anything. It also lacks the ''small world'' bit. Needs alot of improvement.
Final Score: 2.5/10

DTurGuR
Epic idea, and it's very well executed. Sadly like Chaos the rest of the terrain just isnt as good. The lights look abit out of place too.
Final Score: 5/10

H-Bomber
The grass is kinda fucked up, going throu ships and rocks but meh. Also I don't get the whole ship shit, too. I get abit of a ''spam feeling''. You should make it more life-like with much more flora variation and etc.
Final Score: 3.5/10

Just_Spectating
Nais, I like it. Abit messy at times, tho. There's definitly a small world feeling into it. A couple of floating rocks and 2D flat rocks are visible but w/e. The window view could use abit more work but it's alright.
Final Score: 6/10

Keiji
I love it. I feel as tho it needs to be a dark place (aka the fog should be darker, and there should be a glimpse of light through the window and candles. Overall though a good terrain.
Final Score: 6.5/10

MaD[Lion]
Epic idea. Love how it turned out. I still think the knuckles look like shit. You should have used a bigger rock, which is hidden and only a small part enough to fill the knuckles is visible. Kinda hard to explain. I would have loved if you did the background like space (aka with stars and bullshit but w/e)
Final Score: 7.05/10

MadseN <3
Like the idea. It turned out really great. I feel that the anatomy of the giants could be abit better. The Fire World's platform of rocks looks abit too big and out of place, too. I would say lose the rays of light and add some kickass lightning blind shit effects. I think a water plane could look better where the deep water is. Also make the waterfall longer so it doesnt just stop at the shit of space. You really did well with all of the giants, even if they aren't perfect. Love the eyes.

Megafyr
Personally this was my favorite choice all along. The camera is epic, the idea is epic, it reminds me of Black & White. I think the lights look alright and fit in. And unlike the others, that's exactly how a city looks like, crowded etc. Excellent utilization of the blizzard trees. The fog is abit strong. The giant looks abit messy and hes anatomy is ok. I don't like the buildings on the head and showders tho. I would love if he was in a different pose but seeing as how giant shit made out of doodads is hard to make, I won't start my rants on that.
Final Score: 7.14159265/10

Raid666
Epic terrain, really. It lacks a couple of stuff, which I will list like a bitch naw. The gears are way too much overused, or atleast they're spammed in a same place, too much. Maybe you could have used abit more pipes in they're place but w/e. Good news, lightning epic. It blind me like ub3r shit which good bling bling. And naw, u used 4 custom doodads, I think, and the whole thing lacks the ''small world'' theme, which is kinda bleh. Anyways, remember to always attack Giant Enemy Crab's at their weakpoint!
Final Score: 6.98/10

Real Impact
Good idea. I like it but the vegetation is bad. You need to use more variation, IMO. The magnifying glass needs a glass that looks like a glass otherwise it just looks like it doesnt have glass. The lightning blinds me which is good, but it blinds me too much which is bad. By that I mean the lightning doesn't look too realistic, in that camera angle there should be little to no bling bling.
Final Score: 4.5/10

Revolve
Well kinda hard to judge, it misses the ''small world'' feeling. Sure you can say its at the bottom of things but you need to make a comparison. If you can make a whole friggin toilet (sink?!!) and a small view of this in it. Then it will be ub3r nice terrain.
Final Score: 4/10

Void
Awesome idea. It fits in well with the ''small world'' concept. Well implemented, too. The city could use more ice shit, IMO. Also, the terrain as said lacks detail. I would recommend making a lighter fog and continuing the forest. That will give a globe lost in epic forest of d00m feeling which is epic. Or you could just make a kickass lightning effect or smth.

warden13
Good idea. Badly made, tho. You used 3 models and shit. Space should be pretty and nice, and sun is all fiery and stars are big and bleh. Fire is badly placed, lol. Anyways since its funny, I'll give you a:
Final Score: 1.1337/10

Ziggen
Best for last, eh? First, good news. This shit is teh atom bomb. It's really kickass and the ''small world'' reminds me of Black & White which is koolzorz. It definitly gives you a ''small world'' feeling. Now bad news, the laboratory is really cool, but it lacks detail and a laboratory feel. All in all, an epic terrain but needs more detail, kinda like Void.
Final Score: 7.11/10

chaos. : Score 58 Original but not very good idea - the inside of a sink is not a very interesting place . I like the way you made that cup tho it looks really good just everything else is sorta boring and i cant imagine a sink having little buildings in it. P.S. wheres the drain?

CoBrA b 65: I love the galaxy, im still trying to figure out esactly how you did that. And placing it in a staff is really cool idea. I didnt much like rest of terrain tho - the background and staff are too plain.

Corexx : Score 70 At first i thought the bees where giant but its the castle that is really small. I dunno what i think of this terrain the tree branches look wierd - they need leaves but other then that its a good terrain just nothing great either tho.

Dark Master : Score 55 I dont really get the sense that there is a "small world" in there and this doesnt seem dificult to make. But its one of the best terrain i have seen from you, keep it up.

DTuGuR : Score 68 First off this was most original and interesting idea of the bunch. I love the PSP and the screen on it is awesome. This would have been a 1st or 2nd place finish for me but those rays of light look horrible - there going in all diffrent directions and clipping stuff. What are they suppose to be comming from? And background / area around PSP coulda had more stuff there.

H-Bomber 50: This is really black - what made u decide to make it so dark. It looks like doodad spam and some giant grass next to it. The grass looks wierd too like its clipping stuff and popping out of rocks. Just not very good, sorry.

just_spectating : Score 73 This is cool terrain i like the idea with stuff coming out of the books. The water one seems a little wierd to me but there all good and the terrain is interesting to look at.

Keiji : Score 71 I like this terrain, it seems a bit like doodad spam but i think its cool. That table in the back looks interesting, make me want to take a closer look but that shelf with all the bottles on it seems lazy - shoulda put houses and crap there too.

Mad[Lion] : Score 95 This is just awesome - the lighting and glows really make it look good. The hand is very well made and the stuff on top is well placed. All and all i think this terrain stands out above the rest.

MadseN : Score 72 Good terrain but i have seen this idea done a number of times already. I think i liked it better without any giant golems - they look funny and they need legs. Also those domes dont look good to me at all.

Megafyr : Score 80 This terrain is awesome - i tried befor to make a golem with a city on his back, it came out like crap. So i know how much skill this took. The city is cool but the lights look a bit odd to me. The atmosphere is great tho - looks like it was a dark and stormy night. >.<

raid1000 : Score 70 This terrain is very stylish and original - The cogs where a bit too spammed and i never seen the inside of a clock look like that but the atmosphere is great, just doesnt fit the theme to me.

Real Impact : Score 52 There is not much going on here the landscape seems too empty - its just grass and a couple trees. The background is far too bright alto and the magnifing glass doesnt look like a magnifing glass - actualy it almost looks photo-shop'ed in.

Revolve : Score 55 The bottom of a toilet? Seriously? Lol, the idea is funny but the terrain doesnt even look like the inside of a toilet. What is going on - are people pooping ships and bugs? This would be a decent terrain if you change the white marble tile to sand tho.

~Void~ : Score 75 The inside of the globe is very good but looks like you spammed same building over and over to make the city areas. Also it could have used stuff like ships, lights, fires, animals - stuff to make it seem like people actualy live in there otherwise it is litteraly a snowglobe, not a small world. And The outside seems like you got lazy and placed a bunch of trees insted of actualy trying.

warden13 : Score 50 What can i say about this terrain there is not much to it. Niether does it fit the theme scince that is the earth - not a small world. The message is good tho.

Ziggen : Score 85 I was a lil surpised by this terrain its very good for you Ziggen. The background and the Orc's where a lil lame but it all fits together nicely. You did a exelent job on the map it looks very good - i really like the way those mountains look and the tree variation is great.

Chaos.
Theme = 4/10
Professionalism = 3/10
Atmosphere = 4/10

CoBra B
Theme = 8/10
Professionalism = 5/10
Atmosphere = 3/10

Corexx
Theme = 6/10
Professionalism = 4/10
Atmosphere = 6/10

Dark Master
Theme = 3/10
Professionalism = 6/10
Atmosphere = 4/10

DTuGuR
Theme = 7/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 8/10

H-bomber
Theme = 4/10
Professionalism = 4/10
Atmosphere = 3/10

Just_Spectating
Theme = 8/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 9/10

Keiji
Theme = 7/10
Professionalism = 6/10
Atmosphere = 7/10

MaD[Lion]
Theme = 9/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 9/10

MadseN
Theme = 8/10
Professionalism = 9/10
Atmosphere = 8/10

Megafyr
Theme = 8/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 9/10

raid1000
Theme = 7/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 8/10

Real Impact
Theme = 6/10
Professionalism = 5/10
Atmosphere = 6/10

Revolve
Theme = 4/10
Professionalism = 4/10
Atmosphere = 3/10

Void
Theme = 8/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 7/10

warden13
Theme = 4/10
Professionalism = 1/10
Atmosphere = 2/10

Ziggen
Theme = 9/10
Professionalism = 8/10
Atmosphere = 9/10

FIRST PLACE - MaD[Lion] (85/100)

SECOND PLACE- Ziggen (80/100)

THIRD PLACE - Megafyr (78/100)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ziggen & Mad[Lion] have the same score? Two first place winners :)
Anyway, it was a Very nice contest, most of the terrains were great enough to get a good place over the contest, to be honest I likes Mad[Lion]'s mostly, but the rest were great as well. Well done all of you (~It's very boring creating a new terrain, bla bla) ^_^

Edit: Here is the work of the contestants: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...7-small-world-129896/index37.html#post1197416

Last edited:
Level 10
Finaly some results - and there not even completed xD

clicky is Nbah, CLICKY is me, and FING CLICKY is Leet.Firefox

I dont feel like doing the math either so i still cant tell who won, but congrats to whoever it is :D

Level 7
woa, nice to know tat people like my terrain :) this is my first terraining project ever :p I learned alot while doing this, like how to move doodads around without loosing its height :p

And everyone did really a nice job, ziggen had the coolest "small world" ever. But it lack the epicness. the rest of the terrains are somewhat ok, only cus tere are too many good submissions so none really totally stand out

and i just got a new uber small world idea.... omg omg remake contest!!

Level 15
The average of the 3 judges.

Level 10

That was my 1st 2nd and 3rd place picks anyways so i really have nothing to discuss but send me a pm or somthing if you guys want.

Heh, no. Averaging them is not how you do it :p

Please don't try to calculate the results yourself and post them - you'll probably just do it wrong and end up confusing everyone.

As for ~Void~, he should be back tomorrow afternoon.

Level 15
Well then do it yourself if you want to double check. You will get the same results. I only did it because everyone else is too lazy to do it.

Level 7
lol void banned. that is funny. HAhaha, sorry but void a mod tat gets banned? tats totally.... LOL. need new mod :p I though he was an adult guy who can control his temper :p I though wrong.

Hm just get this over with, its just a contest anyway :p

Level 15
I dont care how he does it. He will still end up with Mad[Lion] first, Ziggen second, and Megafyr third. Do it however you want. Stop telling me that my way is wrong. If you do it and get a different first, second, and third place then you can tell me that im wrong.

Level 7
i think average is a good idea (not cus i win). but if u see in performance tournaments (real life), the judges will put up their score from 0-10, and then will average that... They dont really discuss... Cus discussing will alter the way we think and perhaps the judge will not judge on wat he/she thinks, but based on another's thinking. Which is wrong. Judges should judge alone and then put together, that is wat we call different opinions make different results...

Level 15
Why are we debating this. If you guys think that i'm wrong, then im wrong. So what? Who cares? At least I'm trying to get this contest over with. Unlike everyone else who just sit around and expect someone else to get the results. So instead of complaining that my method is wrong why dont you people do it yourselves. We will go with what ever your outcome is even if it is completely different then mine. I really don't care. I'm sorry for trying to be helpful.

Level 34
Void needs to use a standard judging method, not this pile of crap we have left. I'm just going to trust Chaos. on this one and go with his scores. The next contest will go back to the categories I made when I hosted this contest.

Level 34
You're welcome to double check the results. I'm happy with it though, even if he didn't "properly" calculate the scores. Besides I still don't see how he did it wrong. How exactly did he calculate the scores, and how would you have calculated them?

Level 15
If you tell me the standard way of doing it, I could re-calculate the scores your way.

Level 34
I would have made all the judges scores out of 100, then add the contestants scores and divide by 3.

Level 15
I would have made all the judges scores out of 100, then add the contestants scores and divide by 3.

Rofl, That is exactly what i did. That is how you find the average. So I guess my way wasnt the wrong way after all.

Level 34
Yeah I don't know why everyone was jumping all over you. They made some odd assumption or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.