• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Use it well guys!(Oh and there is also mine old race you can play with it but don't steal! I'm going to use some ideas from there)

Level 17
Alrighty guys here is my building tier system and what building trains what unit. :) Never fear, just as colorful as last time! :D

If this doesn't make sense to you (I hope it does) tell me and I'll recreate it.

Fel Orc Crossbowman - General Frank
ICON - Mr. Goblin

Prime Matron - dickxunder
Altar of Terror - General Frank
Demon Tower - HappyTauren

Attachments

• Building Tier System.jpg
    Building Tier System.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 138
Level 48
@Everyone, looking awesome. ^^ I'm jealous of your quick workflow. I barely finished a town hall and some basic units. :p

Pharaoh_, are we allowed to use our own models, made specifically for this contest, and using textures requested from someone? I want to make a Mur'gul barracks, and I asked Red Shift to texture it. Am I allowed to use such a model?

Level 8
Now I am getting somewhere!
My only problem is to find dwarf icons... Very annoying to have the Rifleman icon for all dwarf units... And I can't seem to find any good one.
Guess I'll just have to keep looking.
My race will be a brand new gameplay method!

EDIT:
Oh i have some triggers wich would make no problems like you must build a great hall etc.

You could just set the unit classification of your main building to "Town Hall".
That would fix the bug aswell.

Level 7
Man, Marcelo, I am definitely envious of how your race is coming out >:D
Love the econ system, although I do have to ask after trying it out, is it going to be balanced later on? I mean, atm, you have a Gold Mine mining for itself and costing 0 Food whereas to get full mining efficiency as any other race you will need to set 5 food aside for that. Additionally, you have the Magic Garden doing what Wisps do for 0 food as well.

Balance will be one of the last things I'll do as it's the most difficult part, in my opinion... xD
I didn't think about the food usage advantage, though xP

@Everyone, looking awesome. ^^ I'm jealous of your quick workflow. I barely finished a town hall and some basic units. :p

Pharaoh_, are we allowed to use our own models, made specifically for this contest, and using textures requested from someone? I want to make a Mur'gul barracks, and I asked Red Shift to texture it. Am I allowed to use such a model?

Of course you are allowed :D

Level 8
This bug is making me crazy! Why won't it allow a new kind of Town Hall? Why does it keep saying that I don't have a Town Hall?
Joke Master's way of replacing the units should not work, but I guess that if it does, then there is more bugs then I thought...
One question.
Joke Master, if you build a new custom Town Hall after your other is destroyed, that would not fix the reveal bug, would it? Since just because you replace it once does not mean that it works again, does it?

EDIT:
Joke Master's way doesn't seem to work at all.
I am replacing the units but nothing seems to happen. I am getting the visibility message anyways.

Last edited:
Level 20
Forget that tutorial. The reason why does that keep happening is the melee victory trigger cuz game only recognizes main races town halls. Only way to remove it is to delete that rigger and make custom victory trigger. Exactly same problem happened on last contest.

True you can edit (not create based of it) one of 4 existing town halls but then that race doesn't have town hall.

Level 8
Forget that tutorial. The reason why does that keep happening is the melee victory trigger cuz game only recognizes main races town halls. Only way to remove it is to delete that rigger and make custom victory trigger. Exactly same problem happened on last contest.

True you can edit (not create based of it) one of 4 existing town halls but then that race doesn't have town hall.

Ah, Thanks. That makes things easier now, that I can work on the race instead of trying to fix the reveal bug.

Pharaoh_

Is it ok that I use the Gyrocopter in my dwarf race with the description:

"The dwarves have got some of the gnomes Gyrocopters in order to use them in combat, but, they have customized its weaponry and fitted them with all-purpose missile launchers."

After all, the gnomes and dwarves are allies, and the gyrocopter also uses steam power (I think), which was created by the dwaves.
Also, that requires me to ignore the fact that the portrait is a gnome.

Is this OK on the lore part?

Level 8
Dwarves are known for their cognitive ability, so that makes sense. ;)

Yes! Then I might be able to put this togheter nicely.
My only problem is the fact that I must consider spellcasters, but I have no idea for such.
When it comes to Heroes, I have not started making them, but I've got quite some ideas for them.
Testing your race with friends was allowed if I remember correctly, right?
And so was asking them for ideas?

Level 35
Remember, you don't want the tooltips themselves to denote the lore, you just want the tooltips to state what the unit does in the game. If you want to explain the lore behind it, do it in the Quests or something (I'll be doing that myself :p)

So... I've decided that I'd rather have no flying unit than use the one I was going to use (the model does NOT suit what I was wanting at all :/), so instead I'm going to make some new additions to the race that will hopefully be fitting.

Level 35
Woah woah woah, hold it right there, Pharaoh! What about taking Dwarves from a different perspective? After all, in Warcraft they're known for their contraptions and inventions, but in Nordic Mythology they are not. When it comes to making a fantasy game with Dwarves as a race, they can either be fully steam punk OR they can be more defensive, barbaric warriors with Rune Magics. Or they can have a smooth medium (Age of Wonders did it best, where they had Runemasters AND Steam Tanks. 'Twas awesome.).

Level 8
Then I won't create any magic units. That's actually kind of a relief.
However, my tooltips explain in the tooltip a quick part of the lore in order to help the player understand what changes have been made to that specific unit.
For example, I am using the same Rifleman with no actual changes (Except for abilitys) so I am not changing its tooltip more then "Can learn blabla ability".
But, I am using a Mortar Team with the name Mortar Bomber with a new weaponry and a new tactic and new abilitys. So, I am explaining this in my tooltip:

Medium-ranged siege unit. The dwarves have changed the old Mortar Teams loadout and they have given them a faster semi-automatic rocket launcher which gives them the ability to attack faster and in a more close quarter combat. This has resulted in a loss of range, however. Can learn the Bombard ability. |n|n|cffffcc00Attacks land units and trees.|r

As you can see, this does not directly explain the units lore, it more explains its new strategic value.

Level 35
Ah, ic what you mean there, Laserdude. That's actually quite sensible.

I dunno about the robo-goblin, after all, dwarves could have invented it in the image of a goblin because they... like goblins?

Dwarf with a jetpack would be interesting, but confusing at the same time.

OH, yet another perfect example of Dwarves not being pure steam punk is Warcraft 3 itself! I mean, they have Gryphon Riders who use Storm Hammers. Nothing technological there, amirite?

Level 8

I dunno about the robo-goblin, after all, dwarves could have invented it in the image of a goblin because they... like goblins?

OH, yet another perfect example of Dwarves not being pure steam punk is Warcraft 3 itself! I mean, they have Gryphon Riders who use Storm Hammers. Nothing technological there, amirite?

They have Gryphons the same reason you said they might have Goblin robots.
Simply because they like Gryphons, and I guess they also like to bring down death from above using magical hammers on the backs of powerfull Gryphons...

The thing about the goblin, in wow, they are an enemy, the robo-goblin that is.

Level 48
The Dwarves are divided into three clans - the Dark Iron clan, the Ironforge\Bronzebeard clan and the Wildhammer clan.

The Dark Iron clan is mostly known for unleashing Ragnaros upon Azeroth. Since the War of the Three Hammers, the Dark Iron clan is no longer allied with the rest of the clans. This leaves them out of the question.
They are mostly expert blacksmiths and dark magicians, and they can use those magics to animate powerful beings such as golems.

The Ironforge clan is the main and biggest clan - in Warcraft 3, the Rifleman, Mountain King and the Mortar Team are all from the Ironforge clan, supposedly the Steam Tanks and Gyrocopters are built by that clan as well. They are more 'technological' than the rest of the clans, and they are also expert blacksmiths.

The Wildhammer clan is the third and last clan, and the Gryphon Riders come from that clan. It is thanks to them that the Dwarves and the Gryphons are so bonded. They are far less technologically advanced than the Ironforges and they aren't expert blacksmiths like the Dark Irons, but they are brave and barbaric and use shamanistic magic as well as the mighty Gryphons as their weapons.

So if you need a spellcaster, you could always use a Wildhammer shaman or something like that. An Ironforge runecaster wouldn't be too out-of-place either in my opinion, but that's not official lore. In fact, according to lore, the dwarves were once masters of 'rune-casting', learning from the Titans(their creators) themselves, but they have slowly forgotten their heritage and as such no dwarven runemasters exist today.

Level 8
The Dwarves are divided into three clans - the Dark Iron clan, the Ironforge\Bronzebeard clan and the Wildhammer clan.

The Dark Iron clan is mostly known for unleashing Ragnaros upon Azeroth. Since the War of the Three Hammers, the Dark Iron clan is no longer allied with the rest of the clans. This leaves them out of the question.
They are mostly expert blacksmiths and dark magicians, and they can use those magics to animate powerful beings such as golems.

The Ironforge clan is the main and biggest clan - in Warcraft 3, the Rifleman, Mountain King and the Mortar Team are all from the Ironforge clan, supposedly the Steam Tanks and Gyrocopters are built by that clan as well. They are more 'technological' than the rest of the clans, and they are also expert blacksmiths.

The Wildhammer clan is the third and last clan, and the Gryphon Riders come from that clan. It is thanks to them that the Dwarves and the Gryphons are so bonded. They are far less technologically advanced than the Ironforges and they aren't expert blacksmiths like the Dark Irons, but they are brave and barbaric and use shamanistic magic as well as the mighty Gryphons as their weapons.

So if you need a spellcaster, you could always use a Wildhammer shaman or something like that. An Ironforge runecaster wouldn't be too out-of-place either in my opinion, but that's not official lore. In fact, according to lore, the dwarves were once masters of 'rune-casting', learning from the Titans(their creators) themselves, but they have slowly forgotten their heritage and as such no dwarven runemasters exist today.

Thanks. This leads to the fact that I am creating the Ironforge dwarves.
I don't need or want a spellcaster to be honest. What I need is more Mechanical units than the Siege Tank, Gyrocopter and my Gold Miner.
I would want some flying units, but it is hard to find any mechanical such, which is what I'd wanted. I've allready decided to create a troop transport, but it is a ground unit.

Quick question:
Pharanoh_, can I use the Robo Goblin Model for my repaircrew?

Level 38
@ Wazzz: The goblin zeppelin looks sort of bandit-ish, and considering it has no goblin models to speak of on it just give it a different sound set and you have a bandit air unit. If you're going for a limited number of units, maximum utility feel for your race the goblin zeppelin could aesthetically fulfill a wide range of rolls as well.
as far as lore goes, the Defias bandits in WoW consist of mostly humans, goblins, a Tauren sub boss, and human pirates :p

@ Debode: Sounds pretty cool. I'm sure beyond a few aesthetic choices are races will be vastly different. Throwing more mur'guls in the mix sounds interesting as well.

@ Silly Lil Ant: Adding "blood" into the name of abilities can give an healing connotation while still sounding evil. Triggering vampiric effects is actually really easy to do as well, if you wanted to do something besides a broken shaman for healing.

@ Skycraft: Looking cool so far. The chaos kodo beast (sort of) doesn't fit with the chaos orc that well (lore wise), but I do recall running into them in the blood elf campaigns taking place in Outland.
Ogres could fit with the race if you wanted to add them though, I think there supposed to be from the orc's home world. And demons fit well with the concept ;)
Also, if you use color codes use them conservatively, and use more desaturated colors as well.

I have great idea and story what happened here!
This will be human race 1 or 2 thousand years after leaving Lordaeron and making their new home on Kalimdor!

2 thousand years is kind of ridiculously long. 11 more years and that covers the time span from when Jesus died to today. From the first colony founded in America to now was only a time span of about 400 years, and considering the amount of steam-punkish stuff the dwarves and gnomes already have...
besides, most Warcraft games pick up only one generation after it's predicessor.

@ Laserdude: the flying machines in WC3 are Dwarven, there are 0 gnomes in WC3. Gnomes are only in WC2 and WoW.

@ InfinateAnswers: The key to making each unit useful is giving them a specific niche. For support rolls it can mean summoning, buffing, tanking, and healing/repairing, harvesting, scouting, and building stuff. For damaging rolls come up with a type of enemy that the unit is designed to kill. The armor types roughly separate units into armored/melee (large), flying (small), heroes (hero), buildings (fortified), spell casters (unarmored), and everything else (medium).

Level 17
@ Skycraft: Looking cool so far. The chaos kodo beast (sort of) doesn't fit with the chaos orc that well (lore wise), but I do recall running into them in the blood elf campaigns taking place in Outland.
Ogres could fit with the race if you wanted to add them though, I think there supposed to be from the orc's home world. And demons fit well with the concept ;)
Also, if you use color codes use them conservatively, and use more desaturated colors as well.

I'll try play around with colors to see what I come up with. Thanks for your delicious feedback.

Altered Melee Races

I'm using these triggers I made for my Race Selection Dialog.
With them it will spawn your starting units exactly like a melee map.
And give you a proper build X or be revealed message.
All you need to do is add your race to the variables and add a dialog button to select it at map start up.
There are comments explaining how to do different things with your starting units. Also don't forget to copy over the custom script code as well.
I've included blizzard's naga and draenei as examples on how to use it.

I'm going to upload it to the spells section after a few more tweaks.

Attachments

• (8)AlteredMeleeExtraRacesTemplate.w3x
    257.8 KB · Views: 76
Level 8
My first WIP!
The Dwarves:
WIP 1.png
How to play:
All of the mechanical units in the Dwarves race requires a Pilot in order to function (These are Siege tank, Gold harvester and Gyrocopter, at the moment). This can be removed by purchasing the "Pilot Recruitment Program" upgrade, which causes all mehcanical units to be trained with a pilot inside.
The race specializes in siege units and heavy attacks.
Difficulty: Medium
Stategy notes: Requires 3 worker at early game. Weak at start. VERY strong end game.

-Repair Bots will come when I've found a good model (perhaps this will be robo-goblin)
-New structures: Science Facility (Tier 3 units) and Altar of ???
-New Unit/Structure (If I get permission lore-wise)
The Destroyer (Will change name)
Tooltip: "Slow moving heavy structure unit infused with the Holy powers of the dwarf Paladins and the Lightning powers of the Gnomes. This unit does not require any Pilot in order to control."

Question: Is "The Destroyer" OK lore-wise?

Enjoy!

EDIT:
Forgot the Credits!

MODELS
--------------------------------------

Dwarf Pilot

Villager Dwarf 2.1 by Just_Spectating

Dwarf Worker

Dwarven Worker by IamMclovin

Dwarf Warrior

Dwarven warrior by Dwarven warrior

ICONS

Dwarf Pilot

BTNCyborgDwarf By NFWar

Dwarf Worker

BTNRPGDwarf By Tenebrae

Dwarf Warrior

BTNDwarvenWarrior By General Frank

Jetpackman

Jetpack Dwarf by Ket

---------------------------------------

Level 7
Here is my second WiP for the Stormreaver clan. The next WiP will include the map so you can actually have a play :)

-Red XIII for the WCII models
-Xaran Alamas, Rommel [Kam] (I don't know who should be credited for this) for Necrolyte model
-Tauer for Death Knight model
-supertoinkz for the Altar

185128-albums4264-picture40530.jpg

@ Silly Lil Ant: Adding "blood" into the name of abilities can give an healing connotation while still sounding evil. Triggering vampiric effects is actually really easy to do as well, if you wanted to do something besides a broken shaman for healing.

I didn't think of that thanks :) I shall look into doing that.

Level 35
@67Chrome: Ah, thanks for the suggestions, I may or may not include the Goblin Zeppellin :p
Although I'm thinking that if I include further units, I'm going to forgo the Warcraft lore and sort of explain my own in the Credits (this was allowed, wasn't it?).

@Everyone with WIPs I havent commented on: What Skycraft said, keep up the good work people! =D

@Anyone Interested: Okay, so my Siege unit was originally going to be the Catapult, but I have recently decided to make it a more 'magic' based unit. So, the Siege unit for my race will be the 'Golem'. The explanation will be that they are crafted by Mages and yadda yadda yadda that's how they came to be a very versatile and bulky siege unit, allbeit lower in attack than artillery units, still somewhat vulnerable against infantry and semi-slow (as it's a melee siege unit, it's going to be faster than, let's say, a Catapult. It will also be able to attack air and it MAY have Spell Immunity, whether it has it naturally or via upgrade).

As for the Flying unit, as I stated before, I'm thinking of taking 67Chrome up on his suggestion, as it is a versatile unit and the main reason I want a flyer for the race is to add more mobility to the army. And what better way to do that than to have an air transport unit? =D

Level 35
Of course it works, it's just an idea that's been done to death in mods :p
One thing I love about Starcraft 2 is how every transport unit for each race is now a great utility unit (Medivac heals, Warp Prism creates power, Overlord generates Creep =D). Adding an attack to it would be a bit boring and unimaginative on my part (that's just my opinion on the matter, anyway). I'd rather try and make it a handy utility unit =D

So... how to make it a utility unit.... well, I'll have a think about that, and if I get stuck I'll ask you guys to throw some suggestions at me ♥

Level 8
Of course it works, it's just an idea that's been done to death in mods :p
One thing I love about Starcraft 2 is how every transport unit for each race is now a great utility unit (Medivac heals, Warp Prism creates power, Overlord generates Creep =D). Adding an attack to it would be a bit boring and unimaginative on my part (that's just my opinion on the matter, anyway). I'd rather try and make it a handy utility unit =D

So... how to make it a utility unit.... well, I'll have a think about that, and if I get stuck I'll ask you guys to throw some suggestions at me ♥

Make the zeppelin drop some bombs, which means that you make it a spellcaster.
That is one way.

Level 35
Did think of a caster unit, but I'm not too happy with that idea. And Dropping Bombs is so cliche imo :p
Nah, I want something different, perhaps give it true sight just so my race isn't completely vulnerable to invisible units (either that unit or the Mage will get that ability), maybe give it a healing ability (which would be more cliche imo, so I will try to stay clear of THAT idea :p), something supportive for my offensive race :p

Status
Not open for further replies.