• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragons forming a new race is out the contest's theme, so in the "Philosophy" criterium it would be 0/5, which causes elimination from the contest, simply because the dragonic race is not having an obvious "parental" race; does it derive from humans/orcs/..? So, what Debode said is right.

The appearance of the race must not be a lot different than the original one.

Level 16
Contestants are to create an improved or at least an alternate version of the current Warcraft 3 races, be it Human/ Orc/ Undead/ Night Elf/ Naga.

Midnighters, you can't create a skeleton race as that would be outside the theme.

Basically we are to take one of blizzard's current races and redesign it. The Blizzard's Undead race for instance, do not entirely consist of skeletons, but also has zombies, vampires, liches, and ghosts. So, an exclusively skeleton race would probably not qualify for blizzard's core design of what an Undead race is, and therefore does not match the contest's theme.

Level 7
Well i might join but someone should clarify:

1. Can we use custom resources? (models/skins)
  2. Can we use triggered spells? (GUI/Jass/vJass)
  3. Are there any other judges or is this gonna take more than half a year again?

Also adding a cinematic to introduce my race would be "legal"?

Level 48
I think I'm gonna mix druids with ents - they seem to go well together...
Do new heroes must exist in the warcraft lore? That is, in melee games the heroes are not characters of warcraft 3 lore at all...

Demon Hunter - Illidan
Priestss of the Moon - Tyrande
Keeper of the Grove - Cenarius
Warden - Maiev

What's your point?

Anyways, I believe you shouldn't really copy the old race's heroes as that would be sort of lame.

I've wrote above/under the units what they were and could someone tell me if I'm going in the right direction? Also, do heroes have to be from the WC3/WoW lore or can we make something up?

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 142
Level 8
I've wrote above/under the units what they were and could someone tell me if I'm going in the right direction? Also, do heroes have to be from the WC3/WoW lore or can we make something up?

I guess that if you are using the same abilitys on the units, it would be lame, but if you were making some changes to those units, the name, the abilitys and the hp, and keep the original "setup" (Ranged Troop=Crypt Fiend/Skeleton Archer, Tank=Abomination/Mega Skeleton).
I guess that should work, and you could also add new units which does not exist, for example, keep the 2 original undead spellcasters and add a skeleton spellcaster.
That is, if I have understood the confusing rules.

Level 35
Is there a minimal number of content we have to put into our race, btw? For example, how many units should we have as a minimum? Atm I don't have too many, will be coming up with more (and if I can't I'll just change my race, still early in the comp :p), but I don't really plan on making too many units, you know? Keeping true to the campaign race feel more than anything :p

Level 7
Is there a minimal number of content we have to put into our race, btw? For example, how many units should we have as a minimum? Atm I don't have too many, will be coming up with more (and if I can't I'll just change my race, still early in the comp :p), but I don't really plan on making too many units, you know? Keeping true to the campaign race feel more than anything :p

I think we have to make it about the same number of units the original races have.

Level 17
I think I'm doing it right so far. Here's my first WIP if I am. :D
Fel orc race ftw!

Btw, do I have to post a screenshot or my map? o.o

Attachments

• (8)PlainsOfSnow - Skycraft.w3x
    235.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Well i might join but someone should clarify:

1. Can we use custom resources? (models/skins)
  2. Can we use triggered spells? (GUI/Jass/vJass)
  3. Are there any other judges or is this gonna take more than half a year again?

Also adding a cinematic to introduce my race would be "legal"?

I am not against the cinematic, at all, if you think that the gameplay can't depict the epic feeling you want to engulf your race into, but know that I won't judge it, at all. So yes, you can use a cinematic, but make it escapeable, so that, if a user presses the escape button, they can exit the cinematic.

You cannot make things up, the names of units must tally with lore's names. It's listed in the most important quotes of the first post of this thread :)
You can add as many unit-types as you want, before the gameplay is affected by the vague options a player can have. Keep strategy in mind, you are building a whole new race with pre-existent concept, how would you represent that?

I will reply to you with a quote of mine:

• You are allowed to add many unit-types, so that you seemingly have a vast army to pick from, but if they are too many, you doom your points in Strategy and Gameplay, because Strategy gets ruined, since there are way too many options to choose from, which blocks the player from deciding, while Gameplay becomes complex.

I think I'm doing it right so far. Here's my first WIP if I am. :D
Fel orc race ftw!

Btw, do I have to post a screenshot or my map? o.o

Post anything you like, but I would like to see some screenshots too.

In case you need additional lore info, so that you stay within the conceptual boundaries of your race, you can check the following links (will be posted in the main topic as well):
http://www.wowhead.com/race=2/orc (Orcs)
http://www.wowhead.com/race=4 (Night Elves)
http://www.wowhead.com/race=1 (Humans)
http://www.wowhead.com/race=5 (Undead)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Naga (Naga)

The following page, http://www.wowhead.com/races , contains a list of World of Warcraft races, we only need the races of Warcraft III. However, if you feel that you want to extend the concept of your race, you can use facts from the World of Warcraft lore, but the key is to make an alternative version of the 5 main races (along with Naga).

Hmm... if I understood correctly, we can make up names for our units as long as they tie to Warcraft? For example, I choose to name a unit Bandit Overlord. There is no such unit name in Warcraft, but it sounds warcraft-ish. Is it good?

Yes, there is no problem with that. If you for example have a hero and you name him "Zarara", this isn't a Warcraft product, so this is against the rule. You need to name him after an existent character in the warcraft history, e.g. Varian Wrynn.

So The custom model of a Crypt Fiend for example should be similar to the original one? Does the same go for the abilities? o_O

No, you are following the appearance and feeling of the original race, you are not copying its old units and pasting them into new ones with different names and/or models. Change their functionality, their number, their stats, their abilities into anything you like, just keep their concept; for example, if I see a Human Paladin able of summoning skeletons, this is out of the concept and it will cost you points. Focus on a new strategy, be it from new systems, be it from different ways of playing. An example: in the last racebuilding contest, Stanakin Skywalker, based his town hall on a goldmine, so, the goldmine was also the townhall of the race. This introduced a new strategy. Create new strategies people! :)

Level 48
Wait, what? I don't get it, so heroes and units must be taken directly from existnig lore?
Well gee, that sure limits creativity. So for example, I can't have a Naga Warlord and have her named something like 'Asprah Darkscale' or whatever? Hero names in Warcraft 3 are non-canon, not to mention the whole melee aspect being non-canon.

Also, wowwiki moved to wowpedia.org.

Level 11
You are absolutely right DevilDuke. A melee Hero's proper names have nothing (what I know) to do with Warcraft lore whatsoever. Take Paladin for example; Granis Darkhammer, Jorn the Redeemer, Sage Truthbearer, Malak the Avenger, Gavinrad the Dire and so on. As far as I'm concerned one should be fine as long as the "class" of the Hero fits the race.

Yes/no?

Level 7
In short words, the Hero Name should be relative to Warcraft lore, but the hero's proper names shouldn't.

Am i right? :ogre_hurrhurr:

EDIT: Pharaoh_ is offline but can post? I see...

Level 8
so they have to protain? we cant have like "John Smith" for a paladins name? it has to make sense somehow like how blizzard made their cheesy names like "John the light bringer smith" lol

I guess not.
The melee names often refer to their class, but that does not neccesseraily mean that all names of your heroes has to refer to what you are creating.
And if you want John Smith, why not call him John the Smith, since the Paladin model has a big hammer.

Level 11
Well I have the following classes at the moment:

Warrior (I may change to Swordfighter)
Archcleric
Spellbreaker
Marksman

And then I added some fitting proper names (eg Aeron the Cloudcaster for the Archcleric). Simply combining suitable words plus a name or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.