• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest # 2: Altered Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Oh, Im using a mixture of Dalaran, Dalaran Ruins, Ashenvale, Underground and Outland for tilesets to give it a...wholesome feeling ;)

You'll see, Im making a 1v1 sample map at the moment...

You'll be using Icecrown Glacier? what can I say? Frooosty... XD

Level 10
Ofcourse, you just cant start working on in in the editor, methinks...
anyways, here's the sample a tiny (I repeat, TINY) map, with very limited space, so think, before you build!

Also, I have a question: If we dont have to bind ourselves to warcraft 3 like material, are we allowed to trigger/make special things, for example, points that can be captured, and, if they're on your side, give off a bonus, or something...

If it's allowed, then AWESOME!

if not, then such is life ^^

Attachments

• (2)SmallerSanctuary.w3x
    27.7 KB · Views: 46
Level 12
I guess it would be ok and it would make the map so much better but then it may not be an altered melee anymore.

Oh and by the thing that we could start on our techtrees, I meant only write down ideas not actually start building it.

Nice map matyko, but i hope it is much bigger in the final version! xD

Last edited:
Level 10
Well, I already have basicly EVERYTIHNG written down, so either its allowed, or Im out of the contest, no? :p

Well, it would basicly be a melee map still, but it would have a little extra cick, and you'd have to think more strategicly...

It's a 1v1, what'd you expect? ;) It is also just a SAMPLE of the type of terrain I'm planning to make in the real entry, so I can show a part of what I was thinking.

Mehtyko, over and out!

Level 9
I think it's time to share my ideas before the flash into someone else's mind.
I'm planning a magic vs technology map.

The magical race will be the god worshipers

It's similar to The Magical Union.

There are four Major gods (and maybe some minor ones). You will have to chose one of them for your supreme god. Every god will demand a special rituals or actions from you to get into favour with him. The gods will help you in various ways. If you worship them enough they'll use their godly powers to crush your opponents or to help you develop your economy. They will also send you mythical beasts to fight at your side. The four heroes will be avatars of the four gods.
For example to please the god of war you'll have to fight and for every battle you'll get mana. You may then spend it for a miracle or summoning a dragon.

The second race will be a technological.

instead of food it will use energy to support various battle units.
Almost every unit will be customizable with various weapons and armor.

Some of the ultimate units will have many hard points each of which may be upgraded into a weapon, generator or something else.

Well these are the basic concepts. More details when (or if) the contest begin.

Level 8
I'm in the Epic'ian Alliance (or is it the Empire?).

My Sheep (and possible critters) vs Gods will be an interesting sight to behold. Multi-coloured sheep ftw. The main drawback, more than even the lack of models (Flying, Land, Water) and heroes is the lack of an attack animation.

I think I will make 6 'gods' to choose from and call them Titans, or something to that effect. Titantettes would be more appropriate but I don't like that word. I will have one for each major element if I have 6 (Earth, Fire, Water, Air, Light and Dark.)

I may only make 4 and have them as the stages in an Ancient Greek Drama or the 4 humours (Blood, Bile and another 2 I cannot remember)

I still have no idea how I am going to make the map look. I would like to make something psychadelic but I do not know how to modify tilesets so that they will actually import. I followed a tutorial and failed.

We can have 2meg of imports right?

I cannot wait to start.

Level 12
Hope it take less time then that.

Anyway, since my map will be underground I have decieded that you shall harvest stone instead of wood. Hope theres a good icon for it...

Edit: I found an icon with stone, I just need to edit it to fit in, if I can do that.

Level 12
2 MB is alot

The custom models aren't gonna be judged anyways, so you really don't need all that much space

Although if you were thinking about doing some insanely trigger intensive spells, then I would think 2 MB is just enough

Still, you don't need that many races for a 2v2

Icons I guess would be a good portion of your memory, but those are usually not 100% necessary anyway

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I'm giving the contestants freedom by making it 2Mb.
They may add icons, they may add models, they may trigger like crazy. The fact remains, that the absolute maximum is 2Mb, which by no means should be reached. So I'm not going to cut the contestants' freedom any more.

Level 10
Awesome! We will finnaly start!

And if imports/looks dont matter, then the map you make doesnt neccecarly have to be full of carefully detailed doodads; All you have to make sure is that people can use tactics on it, no?

Level 12
Great, now only to wait for next year...

Edit: I am going to write somethings about my map and a little more about the races i have decieded that I think I will add in it...

Azjol-Nerub has always been the great stronghold of the Nerubians but with the Lich King, many nerubians have been driven from there home and others have been trapped within it's ancient labyrinth like they trapped and killed all explorers that came here.

Stone instead of wood. Sometimes stone can be in the way in certain areas that have items in them and also creeps(mostle Faceless Ones). And I am thinking about implenting special "Stone Rune items" that gives instructions on how to improved stuff, like better weapons, armor, gathering resources and spells. My Stealth Fiend race can move while burrowed which gives them a big advantage but those that can do that are often weak and are good for big attacks. The Dwarves uses explosives and tanks to destroy their enemies.

Last edited:
Level 14
Mine would be fiery orcs and Water Empire

Fiery Orcs:

Fel Orcs have taken an uknown citadel ruled by the vast Black Dragons in what remains of Draenor. Their warlocks have released pure fiery power, allowing them to create their own empire ruled by evilnes and wrath.

Edited Race: Undead
Bonus: Heroes have Chaos attack, Units have good armor
Minus: Slow ground units

Servants of the Serpents

The Lords of water have comed from the underworld to fight the coming fiery orcs. Naga and Sea Giants have united against this new enemy.

Edited Race: Orcs or Elves

Bonus: Heroes can have Divine armor
Minus: Heroes don't have much life

Status
Not open for further replies.