• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest # 2: Altered Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
i wanna go into this contest too, i thought about doing a map of altered melee LOOOOONG time ago, kinda in the start of WC3, but i really was a noob (more than i'm today hehe) and the Reign of Chaos Map Editor doesn't give us the same freedom as The Frozen Throne one, i joined the Hero Contest also, even if both start at the same time i think it won't be a problem, so i'm in, and i think contest are so much fun =D

EDIT: is there allowed to modify gameplay constants right? kinda putting hero to go up to more levels and modify atributes and stuff like that right?
is it allowed to use Third Part programs?
and there should me some more specific rules about the "altered melee", cuz some ppl may make a map that is like melee style but is not considered as an altered melee, can someone discribe it more especifically?

Last edited:
Level 3
geez... sry guys u.u
i have read them but i think i was too sleepy at that time, once i was reading it again i just realised "how didn't i see this 0.o!?"
no more questions and i'm in

Level 12
Chill?? How can i chill when santa haven't given us swedens any snow? I don't think that a christmas is a christmas without snow falling. HOW CAN I CHILL WITHOUT SNOW??!!

ok,ok, I am calm now, realllllly calm, so calm i couldn't be calmer.
Understand?! Ok, seriusly I am calm... or am I not?

hehehehe... HEHEHEHE.... HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE... HA "cough cough" HAHAHA...

Level 3
i have never seen snow in my entire life!! T_T
i always wanted to, but anyway, here in this part of Brazil there's no snow, only at the extreme south

btw, mechmap have u ever played Neverwinter Nights 1 (not the 2), i have seen ur signature =D, NWN 2 is good, the graphics are near perfection but unfortunately it doesn't work at my slow computer, i played it at my friend's place, i didn't liked the gameplay very much, i preferred the NWN1 with all expansions, hope to see snow some day when i travel =D

Level 3
LLoKKo are you blind? Notice what frostwisper say just below your post..

Just try to keep this tread clear of uneeded off-topic talk.
sorry, should have PMed him hehe

Level 8
If you want to be on topic, we could discuss ideas.

For the last techtree contest, I was going to make a dragon race, but never completed it. I might make it now, because I can use triggers, but I will probably not.

I will definitely be making a sheep race. A friend of mine inspired me to create it, but I never got past the planning stages. When this contest is approved, I will make a sheep race, or a critter race.

For the other race, I will probably make a 'god' race. Basically, it will be one unit, a hero, that gets buffs and the like from researches and upgrades at his main base, defended by minions. Some of these buffs and researches will wear off after a while and have to be researched again. He will have to have some massive balancing to make him an army in his own right.

Level 10
well, if we're disscussing ideas, here are mine:

Orc - Centaurs
The centaur start with five outcallers, who can "call" (basicly build) units into battle. Their only building will be a battle standard that increases the population limit. Recources, if I can solve it, will be done by a unit called the Slave Master, with a swarm ability. The swarming units would be slaves, who collect recources (Atleast, thats the idea).There will be a melee, a ranged, and a spellcaster unit type, each with three tiers. Every combat unit has a mana bar that slowly charges, and when the mana bar is full, then that unit can advance a tier. Easy, eh?

Humans - Outriders
The Outriders are a speed based race, with quick maneouvering abilities. You can train soldiers in a main camp, and then you can mount them on horses for additional speed, and special abilities (like Charge, for example). You aquire horses by placing Horse Lures, that "create" a horse every few seconds.

Undead - The Cryptborn
This race is best for the lovers of the so called "turtle" strategy (protecting yourself unit you can bring out the really mean monsters). The player begins with a crypt, and four Flesh Fiends (recource gatherers). Around the crypt, bonepiles rise, that can be "raised" (Upgraded) into a soldier, or a building. They are the only race with strong base defenses, and potent flying units, though at the cost of a slower start.

Night Elves - Furbolg
The Furbolg are a race the relies on the personal strength of a unit, and not swarming. This shamanistic race bows before four deities: Strom, Lupos, Ursal and Aviora. Every unit in the Furbolg tribe is the "son" of one of these primal gods. The Furbolg Kho'urs, or the Son of Ursal, are the melee fighters and recource gatherers of the tribe, for example. The speciality of the furbolg race can be told in a single word: Rituals. To release the wrath of the gods, the furbolg can build Rituals Fires, and then send their casting untis (Kho'Stro and Kho'Lupo) to gain the favor of the gods, and devestate their enemies with primal powers!

Level 3
2. Creating two techtrees each balanced well with the other and adding them to the map.

@matyko why did u wrote 4 races?

my ideas are:

An Elemental Race:

It will have 4 heroes that will represent the 4 elements basic: Fire, Water, Air and Earth, at normal game you can make more then one hero, so do here, but to do that you'll have to "master" after getting another element you receive another altar (each element will have its elemental units in one type of altar) so when you get a second or third altar you get Dual and Tri elemental units, and every hero is a support to the troops of its element, dual and tri elemental units won't receive aura bonuses then, just gonna make it to balance everything:wthumbsup:
the hero is also the main unit, the unit making won't be like melee games, when ur hero is dead u get a great delay in ur whole strategy till it's alive again

i'm still thinking of the other race, i got so many ideas that i just need to choose one, just trying to see which one will fit better for that

An Eredar Race probably will be my choice, not quite shure yet but the Eredar are my favorite race in w3, gonna think of how is it gonna be then i post here =]

other options would be a Dark Cult race, with summons as physical damage deal and tank and cultists as magical damage deal

maybe a Inferno race with hordes of demons would be a choice too, well dunno

gotta find models for most of these races so if i find some which fits them i'm gonna choose one, the elemental one will be the hardest one to find models, but maybe just gonna edit some models that are available with different collors and sizes (in object editor)

comments are always appreciated and matyko your furbolg race looks really interesting ^^

Level 10
If you read the previous posts, you might notice that I already had an issue about making only two races, and in the end, it was decided that I create the four I was palling (seen above ;)), and I'll post a WIP. In the end, two races will go bye-bye (unless the rules change, ofcourse ;)).
Modo's God race idea is awesome, if its done properly, but I have to agree on the fact that there are only two sheep models, and just size+color change might not be good enough... ofcourse, you cann add attachments to the unit, but I still think that even then there are not enought variations...
LLoKKo's race ideas are solid, though I think the cultists, eredar, and Infernos can be piled up into one EPIC race...

Level 12
My Race Ideas

Well here's my ideas so far...

Map - Azjol-Nerub: Will be pretty hard to create this one but if i make it good enough it will be very good.

Undead - Stealth Fiends: Nerubian outcasts and possesed crypt fiends are this army made of. They can burrow into the ground and then move around but if they move it will come up dirt and the enemy will now they are there, only when they are standing still can they not be seen. Of course the allready dead crypt fiends are a vast power in melee combat.

This techtree I will do if they approve this contest but I might change the name. They will only have 2 mages'.

Orc - Bone Legion: The Lich King iron will streches far but the ancient magics of the nerubians are equally powerful. These legions of undead seek nothing else but death and destruction. Their army refills with every body dead on the battlefield and their fearsome Necropolis wreak havoc in the enemy lines and repairs the bones of their warriors. But if their Necropolis dies their whole legions will dissapear.

Not quite sure if I will do this techtree yet but I might if I don't come up with something better.

Night Elf - Forgotten Ones: Long they slept when the Old Gods falled, but with the recent quakes from the Eye of Sargeras they have now awaken. The forgottens focus in brute force and powerful magics to annihilate anyone that appose them. Their Mind Flayers rule the battlefield with their powerful psychic abilities, dominating lesser units and confusing others.

I like the race because it's cool but I don't think there is enough models to create this race.

Human - Dwarves: Muradin is dead... Baelgun is dead... but now a new leader has arisen, the powerful Mountain King Marcus Thunderaxe is now leading the dwarfes through the ancient halls of Azjol-Nerub, desperatly trying to find a way out of the cursed labyrinth. The dwarfes uses long range rifles and machinery to exterminate their enemies.

Will use riflemen, steam engine and other allready existing units for this race if i create it. Though they may not get so many heroes.

Well, that was my ideas so far but it will most certain change much in them.

And matyko, i love the your ideas. Soooo creative.

Last edited:
Level 3
LLoKKo's race ideas are solid, though I think the cultists, eredar, and Infernos can be piled up into one EPIC race...

good ideia! it would take off the lack of skins and will make the race even better ^^

Level 10
I just realized something I havent thought about: What terrain I should make...
Since its a 2v2, it cant be too large, say a world map, or something, but what theme should it be?
...The mind ponders...

Level 10
Alright, I have the Map all planned out!

Sanctuary

Short Description: Deep in the Twisting Nether, this enormous edifice has once been the secluded home of a mighty sorcerer. Now, eons later, though the name of him is gone, his secret sanctuary remains, still riddled with untold mysteries...

Gameplay Description: This map is built up of giant platforms floating in hte Twisting Nether, connected with waygates. The four corners will be the starting zones, there will be two extra goldmines on seperate platfroms, and also an item merchant, and a Magical Cell(Mercenary Camp) will be positioned around the edges of the map. The center portion of the map, also known as the Garden, will have a fountain of power (+mana and health regen). The map will be 160*160 or smaller, and, while the ground movement IS limited by the edges, there will be space enough for armies to manouver around properly...

Creeps will be mostly costum units, remnants of the magics that the sorcere wrought, and creatures of the nether that entered after the Sanctuary was abandoned.

...well, thats about it. Im SOOO waiting for this to start!

Level 35
Alright, I have the Map all planned out!

Sanctuary

Short Description: Deep in the Twisting Nether, this enormous edifice has once been the secluded home of a mighty sorcerer. Now, eons later, though the name of him is gone, his secret sanctuary remains, still riddled with untold mysteries...

Gameplay Description: This map is built up of giant platforms floating in hte Twisting Nether, connected with waygates. The four corners will be the starting zones, there will be two extra goldmines on seperate platfroms, and also an item merchant, and a Magical Cell(Mercenary Camp) will be positioned around the edges of the map. The center portion of the map, also known as the Garden, will have a fountain of power (+mana and health regen). The map will be 160*160 or smaller, and, while the ground movement IS limited by the edges, there will be space enough for armies to manouver around properly...

Creeps will be mostly costum units, remnants of the magics that the sorcere wrought, and creatures of the nether that entered after the Sanctuary was abandoned.

...well, thats about it. Im SOOO waiting for this to start!

Nice idea! :wthumbsup:

Level 10
well, I thought that the map has to be like a normal wc3 map in means of recorces, and it doesnt look THAT stupid in my sample map...
Diversity is the answer ;)

I guess I'll release the sample map, and then, based on the feedback, I might change it...
Remember, if there are only two changed races, then two remain normal...

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
The idea of the contest was to make only these two races usable. The others should not be included. This allows you to change entire stats of the game (for example having units with 60HP and damage 5 is good).
Alternated melee scenarios are a step away from total conversions. Gold and lumber don't need to be the resources.

Oh and the map should be made within the contest boundaries, so if you make a Beta map now, you'll have to start another from scratch when the competition begins.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Aaah...

1. How balanced are the two races?
2. How balanced is the map itself?
3. Does the map terrain look appealing?
4. If there are triggered spells, how efficient are they?
5. Are the race techtrees original and well thought-out?

It doesn't say we have to compare the races or anything else to the originals...

Level 35
Aaah...

1. How balanced are the two races?
2. How balanced is the map itself?
3. Does the map terrain look appealing?
4. If there are triggered spells, how efficient are they?
5. Are the race techtrees original and well thought-out?

It doesn't say we have to compare the races or anything else to the originals...

Except that all the judging things you wrote are what we connects with blizzard races :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.