• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Team Discussion

Level 25
The new Grunt model for Wc3:WoW. Will replace our current Grunt model.

Model was created by Ham Ham upon request. He will most likely end up joining the team.

~Craka_J

Attachments

• _Ogrimar Elite_.mdx
    111.5 KB · Views: 20
  • ogrimarorceliteguard091ly1.jpg
    ogrimarorceliteguard091ly1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 54
Level 25
I BETA tested the latest version of Wc3:WoW yesterday for four hours yesterday and I took notes as I played, listing all the bugs and changes that should be fixed. I'll post the list when I get home.

Before I send BoneBreaker the campaign, I'm going to work on it a little bit myself and fix a couple bugs and make some changes first.

~Craka_J

Level 9
Oh just telling you guys and Bonebreaker in particular... if any of the spells I made bug up, its better to tell me than Bonebreaker cause he'll spend a lot of time trying to work out how the f*** i done Sunder Armor...

-Av3n

Level 25
I did a lot of terrain work on Stormwind, Elwyn Forest North, and Thunder Bluff. I've still got a long way to go, but I've done some good work. I'll upload the campaign when I get a chance when I get home so BoneBreaker can do his job with the latest version of the campaign.

While BoneBreaker will be doing a ton of trigger work, Shamanyouranus will be casually making spell effect models and Hawkwing will be redoing some tiles and player base models for Wc3:WoW.

~Craka_J

Level 9
Wc3WoW Starter Map
==================

Add a blank minimap screen for it. The Hero dots + random terraub colours makes it strange (My Opinion)

Add a simple Portrait animation or a Portrait model for Orc base model.

The Undead camera is out of place (Screenshot attached)

Maybe set to the camera into position instead of panning it? (Might not be look WoW's selection but IMO the transition is better)

There is no novice character for Tauren/Human or is it Intentional (I just realised this my bad)

When choosing your race, when you pick Alliance then type gnome the camera doesn't proceed nor does it trigger the "ok or no" questions (Screenshot attached)

The Grunt model doesn't also have a portrait animation...

-Av3n

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_111108_185459_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_111108_185459_01.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 65
  • WC3ScrnShot_111108_190322_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_111108_190322_02.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 41
Level 25
  1. You've got a point there. I'll make a thread in the Request forum for a new minimap!
  2. Doubtful this will happen. We got no animators!
  3. Well since Tirisfal Glades and the Undercity haven't even been started yet, the Undead hasn't really been looked into or cared for much.
  4. Not sure what you mean by this. Explain a bit more.
  5. Ah, that's intentional. Since BoneBreaker will be revamping the creation of classes, novices are no longer going to be used.
  6. Same thing goes for this, Dwarves, and the Undead. We're not focusing on them! :p
  7. Doubtful this will happen. We got no animators!
~Craka_J

Level 9
Ok for four. You know how you choose your race right? The Camera "moves" to that area (tracking, panning etc. Lets use media study terms). I find it personally nicer if the camera doesn't "move" instead its applied instantly with a fading black filter

-Av3n

Level 25
PvP BG: #1

Arathi Basin:
The Arathi Basin battleground is a PvP-only (No PvE elements) zone that players from both the Horde and Alliance meet up in teams of (maximum) 15 versus 15. Horde players versus Alliance players.
The objective of this battleground is for both teams to strive to achieve 2000 points (starts at 0) by capturing and holding flags in the five areas of the battleground (Farm, Blacksmith, Lumber Mill, Mine, and Stables). The team to gain 2000 points wins. The winning team players receive an honor bonus, three Arathi Basin marks, and a reputation bonus for "The Defilers" faction.

How will we imitate PvP AI in this? Well, it will be very tough, but for starters, I think we should make it somewhat like an AoS. At the beginning of the match, all players start and respawn at the graveyard near their team's Town Hall until they capture a flag at either of the five points on the map. Player Bots will respawn in random graveyards on the map - as long as that graveyard is under the control of their team - and when they spawn, they'll instantly run to the flag in their graveyard area and then run to a hostile flag (closest one to them) in attempt to overthrow the hostile player bot's defenses and capture their flags.

Each and every Arathi Basin match will be differently setup. We'll have a system that randomly generates what's on each team (class-wise), so you may happen to play a match with five paladins, two rogues, a healer, a mage, a druid, etc. but another time you might play a match that has 6 rogues, 3 warriors, 4 priests, 1 hunter, and 1 shaman (or paladin, depending on team). So every time you play in an Arathi Basin match, the setup of classes and the amount of them in your team - and the opposing team - will usually always be different, as they are setup totally randomly. You might even end up being in a battleground with a team of almost all - or all - priests!

~Craka_J

Level 25
Good idea.

The AI of the player bots in general should be improved, including outside of the battlegrounds. This means that each class should have its own way of playing.
  • Priests heal and buff those in their group, otherwise trying to kill their target from a range. (Priests usually use the fear ability a lot in WoW)
  • Hunters constantly try to keep melee classes away from them by putting slow traps (Freezing Trap I think) and using direct slowing spells such as Concussion and Wing Clip, then gets away from the melee class unit to make a gap between them and attack him from there.
  • Mages would do something similar to this.
  • Warlocks stay back and cast bolt spells while they let their summoned units do the dirty work. When a hostile gets too close - player bot - they use the Fear spell on it.
  • Druids usually attack the player in bear form and transform to normal form to heal themself, then back into bear form to fight some more; this cycle would continue.
  • Warriors start the fight by charging at hostile and then just doing a bunch of melee spells as they try to pummel the hostile.
  • Shamans put down all their totems and cast spells at their target. Once out of mana, they'll engage in melee combat, but will try to stay within range of their totems to get their benefits.
  • Rogues are always stealthy. They first begin the fight going in stealth, then cheapshotting, backstabbing, or garroting their target. Their objective is to keep their target stunned and slowed as much as possible, using spells like Kidney Shot and Cheapshot. Since most melee and ranged classes cannot hit targets behind them, rogues try very hard to stay behind the unit, backstabbing and using all other offensive spells to kill their target with getting hit as little as they can.
  • Paladins are the fags of the World of Warcraft universe. Throughout the fight, they cast offensive spells and ensure they are buffed. When their health gets too low, they cast the Divine Shield spell and heal themself until they're totally healed, and by that time, their Divine Shield finally goes away and the fight recontinues.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Of course. I'm working on a report document as I work on and BETA test Wc3:WoW that will help you a lot in knowing what I need you to do when you get the campaign from me when you're ready - Saturday - so don't worry much about it.

~Craka_J

Level 25
Here are a few documents I made for Wc3:WoW. BoneBreaker, these are mainly intended for you.

The Bot Realism document is just dialogues of bots conversing with one another, for when we actually get this deep into the AI of the game. Don't mind it much, but it will give you an idea of what to expect in the future of the mod.

~Craka_J

Attachments

• Wc3WoW Bot Realism.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Wc3WoW Report.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 30
  • WoW Death System.doc
    25 KB · Views: 28
Level 25
Tides of Blood: Blood Meter - Wc3campaigns

An interesting idea that we can use to our advantage. We can make a model of a loading/casting bar that we'll use as a unit that appears above the caster's head. Depending on how fast the spell casts, the animation speed will be altered to fit it. The loading bar can have three animations:
  • Death - The bar fades away.
  • Spell - The bar turns gray and says in red letters in the center "Interrupted".
  • Stand - The bar fills from the right end, to the left end.

What do you guys think?

~Craka_J

Level 25
We have three new guys that are anxious to get to work. But don't let them slow you down. If you're tired of doing whatever that you're doing and want a break, now is your chance. Just finish up with whatever trigger(s) you're currently working on, zip it, and upload it to rapidshare or another upload site that doesn't allow people to search for downloads/uploads.

The new guys are:
  • Sergeant Ray - JASS Expert
  • Eleandor - JASS Expert
  • Abdoma - Spells/Abilities Creator

Right now one of the top goals is to fix all known bugs reported by BETA Testers and if you find any yourself, by all means, fix those as well. After that, A.I. or quests should be considered as the next priority.

Level 25
Awesome! A guy named Hanky would like to join us. What do you think?

Hanky said:
Hello Craka_J.

Im interessted in the "JASS Expert" job. I think I got enough experience for that, because I already made a spellpack, spells and even a map with vJASS. Here are some links to my resources:
- Random Spellpack from Hanky (Is currently waiting for an update)
- Vast Plain
- Ice Hockey (To get the open source PM me)

My active time:
- 3 days I got 2-3 hours time (it depends because of school)
- 2 days I got 4-5 hours time
- at the weekend I got nearly unlimited time if Im not away go party or something

For more informations just PM me back.

Best regards,
Hanky

Level 25
Is there anything new lately regarding the progress of Wc3:WoW's development? Would be nice to have something to announce to keep the activity.

Gonna terrain Orgrimmar some more and try to squeeze more of the areas in there. Need to get a move on it. Once Orgrimmar is complete, I'm going to have MadseN work on Ragefire Chasm, the low level dungeon/instance in Orgrimmar for levels 13 through 19.

It's tough getting any work done on Stormwind. There just isn't enough images of it on the web for me to complete it accurately. Might download the trial, but it's so damn big...

I'll try to get Shamanyouranus to do some work for us since he's on the team.

Level 25
Just a quick update, Hawkwing is texturing the Tauren Mailbox model which Shamanyouranus created for Wc3:WoW. Hawkwing is waiting for instructions for what needs to be done with the Quest window interface... in the meantime while he waits, he'll be texturing the mailbox.

After the mailbox, Shamanyouranus is going to be doing a bundle of new building, prop, etc. models for Mulgore and Thunder Bluff. Hawkwing will be the man of choice to give it yummy looks - the ones that don't use in-game textures at least - with his awesome art skills.

I'm not sure if ANY spells have been developed or in the process of development... I haven't gotten any responses from Hanky, Abdoma, or Paladon. Will check with them all again though.

Level 21
When it comes to art, I still need following things for the interface:

- Quest log : http://www.gamebanshee.com/worldofwarcraft/images/questlog.jpg is the original one, but I think this one is way better: http://wowui.incgamers.com/uploads/1156549570EQL3_Log.jpg
If the latter one is used, I need to have the icon at top left removed, as well as the "maximime" button at the top right next to the "close" button.
The "Share quest" and "Options" button probably won't have any use in wc3:wow, so they can go too.
I'll also need the "Abandon quest" and the "up"/"down" arrow key as separate images...
- Bag windows for 1, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, 22 slot bags
- some kind of interface that's always visible on screen that allows you to open bags or inventory or quest log. Don't really know what this should look like...

Level 25
Silvenon said:
Ok, I've finally started doing something. I made a 32x32 map where I'll be testing all the heroes I'll be making (atm it's Druid). When I'm done, I'll just send you the map, it will have instructions on how to implement them.

And of course, I've ran into lots of problems at the beginning:
  • what are the stats? i'm guessing they're not STR, INT and AGI
  • how much is a yard in wc3 units?
  • have you made resistances yet? how can i modify them?
  • is there a certain buff system or i should just use normal buffs? (the second problem with buffs is at the bottom of the PM)
  • are there certain hotkeys i should be adding, or i should just make up my own?
  • well, this is not exactly a problem, but concerning icons, i'll just add some icons, and you can change them to whatever icon the original spell has
  • i don't know which spells should be autocasting and which shouldn't (for example, i made mark of the wild autocasting)
  • what should i put in tooltip extended? that's the one where all the levels are listed, is there a certain leveling system? should i replace all the "levels" with "ranks"? anyways, i don't have enough room to put so many levels (they just get cut off)
  • should i worry about stacking? for example, mark of the wild stacks (i didn't plan that), but should i make it non-stacking?
  • when i have a casting time of for example 1.5 sec and heal amount of for example 50, that means that the hero channels for 1.5 seconds and when it's finished, the unit gets healed by 50 health, or it heals over time?

Anywas, since the spell gets different with each rank, should I make a buff for each rank? I can't use the same one because, for example, first level increases health, the second level increases health and stats etc. If you know what I mean.
Silvenon is working on the Druid's spells but needs to know a bit about the mod so he doesn't mess up, as far as creating the spells accurately goes.

I'd like a skilled/experienced spell creator to answer his questions.

Level 21
what are the stats? i'm guessing they're not STR, INT and AGI
For all I know, currently they're still STR, INT and AGI. I don't know if Craka wants to change them. If the real wow stats are going to be used, they'll still have to be implemented.

how much is a yard in wc3 units?
Craka should answer this question, he's the one doing the terrains...
I think scalewise it's the same as in normal warcraft, if you take a normal unit as a reference. The buildings - obviously - are scaled in proportion to the unitscale.

have you made resistances yet? how can i modify them?
I don't think there are resistances either.

is there a certain buff system or i should just use normal buffs? (the second problem with buffs is at the bottom of the PM)
No buff system either :p
Originally no system because vjass wasn't allowed yet, and currently there's no buff system yet because I thought the spell creators should decide what systems they were going to use.

are there certain hotkeys i should be adding, or i should just make up my own?
No clue, I think you should ask Craka. My guess is make up your own hotkeys.
Maybe later spells can be integrated in the advanced interface, and hotkeys can automatically be assigned to spellslots, but that's not for now.

i don't know which spells should be autocasting and which shouldn't (for example, i made mark of the wild autocasting)
I don't know either. Does wow even have autocast spells? AFAIK only summons have autocasts, but I could be wrong. Anyway, if http://www.wowwiki.com/Druid_abilities doesn't mention anything about autocast, I presume the spells aren't autocast.

what should i put in tooltip extended? that's the one where all the levels are listed, is there a certain leveling system? should i replace all the "levels" with "ranks"? anyways, i don't have enough room to put so many levels (they just get cut off)
Spells can have ranks, which basically act like ability levels. My personal suggestion is to say what the current level of the spell does and what bonusses the next level will add.

should i worry about stacking? for example, mark of the wild stacks (i didn't plan that), but should i make it non-stacking?
It shouldn't stack.

when i have a casting time of for example 1.5 sec and heal amount of for example 50, that means that the hero channels for 1.5 seconds and when it's finished, the unit gets healed by 50 health, or it heals over time?
Check the wow wiki. If you're talking about e.g. Healing touch then that's indeed 1.5 seconds casttime and then instant heal of 50.

Anywas, since the spell gets different with each rank, should I make a buff for each rank? I can't use the same one because, for example, first level increases health, the second level increases health and stats etc. If you know what I mean.
Probably, yes.

Maybe you or I should upload a map with all systems that you can use to create spells. Some systems are pretty obvious (Table, ...), but I do think SpellEventModules or the buff system can be useful too. Maybe xe too.

If wow stats & resistances are to be used, they better get implemented now than to implement them later and having to redo all spells. Maybe I'll make something like that tomorrow (tomorrow I have my one but last exam, and have about a week to prepare for the last, so I don't think I'll really be studying tomorrownight)