• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[System] Unit Indexer

Level 31
gy all my stuff in Spells/JASS sections please, moving it all to github :O

Please give me until December 15th to do this move. We can do the mass gy on the 16th.

Not sure what you guys are going to do about the rules and using other people's stuff. My stuff will technically be approved on 0 sites, so I don't know whether you'll allow people to submit resources using my stuff or not. If you do, then anyone could just use anything, and the approval system will be put by the wayside altogether =). Otherwise, people can just not use my stuff I guess ; P, which is fine.

I'm planning some cool stuff for the resources with major documentation (Network, File I/O, Codeless Save/Load, and DDS).

edit
for now, UnitIndexer, WorldBounds, and Event can be gy'd.

edit
ofc, if THW had a nice distribution and auto updating system like GitHub, I'd stay here ;). GitHub is nice in that I can create a resource on my hard drive, change it, change 15 other resources, and then hit Push and it's all updated on the web automatically. I don't have to cnp the 16 things across 16 different threads, and then I don't have to change dependent threads all over either (like DDS, now that's a pain to update). Also, I like it when users can have the stuff that they are using be updated automatically. If they are using Resource A, they don't have to check daily to see if it has been updated, they can just see the red ! and go, time to update, and then hit Fetch to update everything. Ofc, I believe that they should have sub-repos, one repo for each map. This will be a little challenging to do though, will require a custom tool that interfaces with github ;). However, if THW had the right distribution system, not just threads, it could interface with THW just as easily.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the matter. GitHub to me is superior/easier to use, thus I go there.

I'll also probably reform the docs a bit and add something like, "If You Like This Resource, Please Donate" at the top with a link to thw's donation page.

Last edited:
Nestharus said:
gy all my stuff in Spells/JASS sections please, moving it all to github :O

Please give me until December 15th to do this move. We can do the mass gy on the 16th.

This is really how you handle it? By rage quitting and deleting all your resources?

Nestharus said:
Not sure what you guys are going to do about the rules and using other people's stuff. My stuff will technically be approved on 0 sites, so I don't know whether you'll allow people to submit resources using my stuff or not. If you do, then anyone could just use anything, and the approval system will be put by the wayside altogether =). Otherwise, people can just not use my stuff I guess ; P, which is fine.

I'm pretty sure you know JASS scripts that aren't approved can be used in other resources. If that wasn't the case, all scripts using wc3c resources would be rejected.

Nestharus said:
I'm planning some cool stuff for the resources with major documentation (Network, File I/O, Codeless Save/Load, and DDS).

What's the point of even saying you're going to be update with major documentation and "cool stuff" when you clearly just said you're taking your stuff off THW. It seems like an attempt to rub it in Ralle's or our faces.

Level 31
What's the point of even saying you're going to be update with major documentation and "cool stuff" when you clearly just said you're taking your stuff off THW. It seems like an attempt to rub it in Ralle's or our faces.

Honestly, Ness, that's quite stupid of you. You could keep them both here and on github. It's just that we want the code here as well.

I don't agree with the distribution systems of threads, which is why I've been wanting to move to github for a long time ;). This just provides me with an immediate push of something that I was otherwise going to do slowly, but surely.

Having it both here and on github would defeat the purpose of github, which is easy distribution (I just push), and easy retrieval (everyone else just fetches).

Now, if THW had such features, then I'd have no reason to have any of my stuff on github. I also like the issue tracker and the google code tickets ^_^.

I mentioned the cool documentation stuff, because by having it on github, I won't be limited to a thread format. I could do an html page, a pdf, or w/e else. This makes for way better/cooler documentation =). It was not an attempt to rub it in anyone's face.

Level 19
If I got this right github severs you better for your own purpose and in case thats correct I can truly understand it. I just wonder if you have the same audience there as you have here on THW, at least for wc3 resources.
Also your stuff is and has been public and free to use here for quite a long time, therefore I don't understand, why you want to erase it now. A lot of resources use World Bounds, Alloc, CTL, etc as standart should we depart from those in the future?

Level 31
I'm actually going to be putting all of the stuff on the THW GitHub Repo.

You can actually find it on google too

https://www.google.com/search?q=git...j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It's set up to use a more in-depth approval system than the one we have now actually :eek:, so anyone can contribute to it and have their stuff approved/not approved, if we wanted to keep with that.

It's also pointless to keep the stuff here because any updates will go to github ;\. If there is a bug in a resource, the code on THW is never going to be fixed, but it will likely be fixed on github.

edit
btw, we can organize stuff into folders on github, like collections, encryption, and so on, it will be way easier to find stuff : |. It won't be just a list of stuff like how you'd have on a forum. It really will be better =).

I'm always a push for radical change. Whenever I see something that is better, I push for it to happen ; P, and even do it by myself if I must ;o. This case is no different ;).

edit
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/submissions-414/jass-script-repo-228913/

Last edited by Nestharus; 01-18-2013 at 10:02 PM.

So I once again say that this is nothing new. This has been a long time coming.

Level 14
I'm not sure if this will really be a benefit for both users and coders.

Of course its much easier to update a resource with GitHub but you don't know if the majority of the community will accept the new system. Most people don't care about updates as long as they don't have a concrete problem with exactly that resource... So there is the risk that people will just move to the spell section or even to other sites like wc3c or TH which then provide a more "natural" interface for resources.

Maybe you should ask the site administration first if its not possible to setup a GitHub-like auto update mechanism before taking a hasty decision and graveyarding all your stuff.

Level 31
Nes, another option is to keep your JASS tags here for a WORKING version and if people want to risk the syntax errors of your hard drive updates they can use this other web site. You'll end up with old versions on THW but with the additional github link you can say 'I recommend downloading from here'.

Problem is that they'll never seen new versions. Also, I'm known for changing API's, so if they are using an old version and try to use something else that uses it and it throws syntax errors, they won't know why. I just view it as pointless to keep an old version of code up. I clear that stuff out as fast as I can.

Of course its much easier to update a resource with GitHub but you don't know if the majority of the community will accept the new system. Most people don't care about updates as long as they don't have a concrete problem with exactly that resource... So there is the risk that people will just move to the spell section or even to other sites like wc3c or TH which then provide a more "natural" interface for resources.

They won't ; P. Neither the coders nor the users will accept such a system. I'll likely be the only one doing it. If someone wants to use my stuff, they'll just have to suck it up ;).

Maybe you should ask the site administration first if its not possible to setup a GitHub-like auto update mechanism before taking a hasty decision and graveyarding all your stuff.

We already had a discussion 11 months ago

it isn't neccesary to delete/gy the posts, just edit them and put the link to the git repository.

But we (moderators) want the posts to be in the main post, which is why he wants them gy'd after he moves them. He could technically just add the link to the git and leave all the code there in the threads (which I assume is what you meant), but Nes won't do that.

If he wants to do that, we don't need to do anything to stop it. Our moderators have already all agreed that we want the codes in the posts, so... this is the outcome.

Level 31
Nes,
I have a suggestion. What if I could come up with a highlight tag that highlighted raw github links like this one https://raw.github.com/HiveWorkshop/JASS-Code/master/Unit%20Indexer/script.j ?
Would that work for you?

It would fetch the contents of the page and highlight it.

that would work O-o

I would put up the folder links though, so you'll have to grab things with .j extension and display readme/documentation or w/e. I also wouldn't reply to the threads, people would still have to put up issues if they run into a bug.