• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swine Flu Overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Meh. The virus is still fairly new, I'm pretty sure that Mexico is just taking precautions until they're one hundred percent positive that they know everything about it, and the reporters just take shots of people wearing surgeon masks and slam them to a "We all gunna end up dead" headline. Just like with SARS and bird flu.

Off-topic, with the variety of new diseases popping up in the past few years, maybe the world will finally get that zombifying virus we've all been hoping for.

Level 34
For once I'm saying this not because I'm scared, but I think they are overreacting. It's mostly the Media just hyping everything up so they can sell more papers/get more viewers.

Hell, maybe America even designed that flu and needed to test it. What goes around, comes around.

Level 3
Meh.

I think they're scared or want to see if the virus will suddenly mutate, infect thousands each day and then just magically mutate a second time, kill millions and we get all scared more! Yaayyyy...

Also, it could have even been an artificial virus to close borders to help out the economy here so 'illegal immigrants' won't steal jobs.

Like Japut says... Maybe we have the T Virus on our hands! EVACUATE! NUKE THE CITIES!

Level 24
The swine flu has such a high lethality rate in Mexico because it's Mexico. What would you expect in a country with no decent medical care?

Hell, maybe America even designed that flu and needed to test it. What goes around, comes around.
Get over your disproportionate angst with the US, (someone who is not heterosexual). Seriously, I've had it to here and fucking back again with you several times over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Hmm...

2000 people in Mexico have the flu and are still alive to pass it on.

And you can probably guess how much people aren't aware they have the flu.

On an average, they will see 400 people by one month.

Maybe touch an average 40 people especially if there's crowding.

Let's say only 5 people he saw got infected and 20 people he touched got infected too.

Imagine those people starting the cycle again. If anyone might have the virus but we don't know it, they will probably do this cycle.

So that's 25 people

and those 25 people meets another 25 individually

Hmm... 625 people can then infect 25 people individually...

Okay, I'm seriously staying in my computer if a virus is hidden...

Level 7
Get over your disproportionate angst with the US, (someone who is not heterosexual). Seriously, I've had it to here and fucking back again with you several times over.

Actually, the swine flu did came from the US. Some US agency confirmed that, pointing at some farm. That's what I've read :/

EDIT: not an agency, but University of Columbia.

Last edited:
Level 17
Hmm...

2000 people in Mexico have the flu and are still alive to pass it on.

And how many have died? Seriously, the chances of getting killed by this flu is laughable low.

Why change your lifestyle because of this? It's just another disease in the giant pile. If you worry about these things you won't be able to live. period.

Level 24
Actually, the swine flu did came from the US. Some US agency confirmed that, pointing at some farm. That's what I've read :/

EDIT: not an agency, but University of Columbia.
Which does nothing to change the fact that TDB is a ridiculous, idiotic, anti-US (someone who is not heterosexual). Did China design SARS, did Africa design AIDS?

P.S: WILL, you're welcome for saving you the trouble of editing my post.

Level 7
Which does nothing to change the fact that TDB is a ridiculous, idiotic, anti-US (someone who is not heterosexual). Did China design SARS, did Africa design AIDS?

P.S: WILL, you're welcome for saving you the trouble of editing my post.

I didn't even touch the topic of TDB being this or that. I'd rather point out the logical flaws in his posts, than resort to personal insults.

As for the swine flu, I forgot to answer the question in the title of the thread. I think it is overhyped. Best example being Egypt, where they sentenced 0,25 millions of pigs to death. Kinda pointless, those pigs would first have to get infected. Add the fact that the flu doesn't spread through meat. From funny examples, Kabul Zoo in Afghanistan. They're quarantining probably the only swine in the whole country, because visitors are thoroughly scared. They had 2 swines (a gift from China in 2002), but the other got killed by a bear, what a pity.

Level 24
I didn't even touch the topic of TDB being this or that. I'd rather point out the logical flaws in his posts, than resort to personal insults.
If you'd have been around long enough to see the stupid shit TDB does, you'd agree with me that he is a useless anti-American douche with the IQ of a sack of hammers. He accused the US of designing the swine flu and I let him know what I think of him and his incomprehensibly stupid and distorted views of the US, and not even for the first time. You implied that there was at least some grounding in his stupid conspiracy theory because the swine flu may have started on an American farm, and I assured you that he was still full of shit anyways.

If you'd have been around long enough to see the stupid shit TDB does, you'd agree with me that he is a useless anti-American douche with the IQ of a sack of hammers. He accused the US of designing the swine flu and I let him know what I think of him and his incomprehensibly stupid and distorted views of the US, and not even for the first time. You implied that there was at least some grounding in his stupid conspiracy theory because the swine flu may have started on an American farm, and I assured you that he was still full of shit anyways.

I saw an article in New Scientist that said that the US most likely played a big part in it, as the US has a lot more pig factories (if you want to call them that), which serve as breeding grounds for these sorts of diseases.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
(I've TL;DR'd this)

The problem about Swine flu is that it's an unknown virus. Pandemics tend to come in waves, and the second wave usually kills, as shown by the 1918 Swine Flu pandemic, a lot more than the first wave.

So, in answer to your question, I believe it isn't overhyped. However, my source is WHO and the Department of Health. Not your shitty BBC/Sky/CNN/etc news stations.

Level 7
Bird flu, or whatever it was called, is considered much more dangerous. Yet we didn't all die out.

And killing pigs in Europe, Asia or wherever else outside USA and Mexico really doesn't make sense. Just think. An ill person (possible) or a swine (won't happen) would have to fly over to Egypt and cough at an Egyptian swine's snout. Who, knowing about swine flu, would go to a swine 'factory', like Pyritie named them.

Level 24
a swine (won't happen) would have to fly over to Egypt
When pigs fly :D

Next one is going to be panda flu.
No frog flu D:

Well anyway on topic, i got a theory that the media might have been bribed to overdramatize the swine flu so many people will buy medicine and face masks. Its an unlikely theory though.

Last edited:
Level 11
Well, it had only few cases in Europ/North America.
Problem is that virus is strong in south hemisphere, and fall is there. Many fear that when fall comes no norther hemisphere it will cause havoc here also. But I am not so sure...
Also problem is that its mutating fast, so no cure or anything for now :/

If someone sed it bedore, sorry. Didnt bother to red it all ^^

Level 24
I saw an article in New Scientist that said that the US most likely played a big part in it, as the US has a lot more pig factories (if you want to call them that), which serve as breeding grounds for these sorts of diseases.
Belgium being neutral most likely played a big part in Germany beating the fuck out of France during WWII, as Belgium allowed Germany to march around the Maginot line, which served as an easy entry point for German troops.

What the fuck is with this sudden outpouring of support for TDB's anti-American faggotry? You all might as well join the 9/11 truth movement, it's a sounder theory than the stupid shit TDB comes up with.

Level 11
Bush did set up 9/11. Its not Americas fault, its Bushes so he can go to war. I also think its Bushes virus. He made it (well not lituraly) to release it just when Obama becomes prezident. Oh, and also to create panic in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.