• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Earth's Population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
We are now with almost.. let's say 6 billion human beings on this planet right?

But in the Dark Ages (1000 - 1500) there were only 250 million people.

If you compare it with the 6 billion 750 years later, thát's a lot.

So why do people whine about some few deaths over the world all the time?

I think it's better to have like 1 billion people on Earth instead of 6 billion, more resources, food and less dirty stuff. I demand that the world must stop breeding for awhile (condoms anyone?), maybe like 50 years will do. Just let the place 'die' out a bit.

This thread has a shifting topic over the Earth's population, from global genocide to the religious bollocks so don't you worry.

Discuss.

Level 13
Go ahead, do your opinnion right and kill yourself.

Oh, not going to do it? but I tought that's what you want, less people.

Level 22
Corrections:

We are 6.75 billions on earth (More like 7 than 6) and you are allowed to have more than 2 children in China. But if you have one, and only one, you will get awarded.
If the child is a boy (i think) you can have another one, thus if a mother gives birth to a girl (as her first) she might dispose of her somehow.

Level 34
I suggest people should whine less and let Microsoft ban the showers from our homes for a few years so maybe another Black Plague can arise. Especially in the not-important areas, like Afrika, bits of Asia and maybe the Brazilian woodcutters too.

History lesson:
The catholic church banned the bathhouses because they were 'filthy'. Actually was that true and yet again not true, but that's not the thing. The thing is, after the ban of bathhouses, people started to become stinky and filthy. And especially during and/or at the end of the Crusades, the Crusaders brought back diseases. The rats in their vessels had the Black Plague disease. And everyone got infected, etc etc, a few million people died (peasants ánd nobles). Sometimes it occured in a city that only 10% of the cities' population was left. I say, it does clean the place up. Yes there are some bodies here and there, but it was a lot quieter in the aftermath.

Level 13
Dude he doesn't mean kill urself, he means STOP crying over every tom dik and harry who dies unless it is of course unless its someone u know.
He also said he wished there were less people in the world.

Also if the really wish to save the world the Black plague should strike Europe and America and some parts of Asia, since those places use a whole lot more resources than Africa.

In all seriousness, the only way I see the population drastically decreasing would be if WW III started and every country was hellbent on killing every single person from other countries. Or then just nuclear war.

Level 34
He also said he wished there were less people in the world.

Also if the really wish to save the world the Black plague should strike Europe and America and some parts of Asia, since those places use a whole lot more resources than Africa.

In all seriousness, the only way I see the population drastically decreasing would be if WW III started and every country was hellbent on killing every single person from other countries. Or then just nuclear war.

Wars are so.. old fashioned. What do you want to see?

A nuclear devastated, irradiated land with not much on?
-or-
A land that is green, pretty flowers every where and it's filled with corpses?

I prefer the second one, I just don't like the first, too nasty and too many mutations. Two headed cows who squirt soured milk, cute little bunnies mutated to big clawing monsters, giant fruitflies who shoot fangs at you via their penises. Just not nice.

The second one, if the place is filled with corpses -just wait a little for the diseases to 'go away', the bodies can be broken down by nature. Everything that is organic can be broken down. So those bodies are just gone in a year or so, making the land even more greeny and nice. Or for short: Fertilizer!

Level 13
Wars are so.. old fashioned. What do you want to see?

A nuclear devastated, irradiated land with not much on?
-or-
A land that is green, pretty flowers every where and it's filled with corpses?

I prefer the second one, I just don't like the first, too nasty and too many mutations. Two headed cows who squirt soured milk, cute little bunnies mutated to big clawing monsters, giant fruitflies who shoot fangs at you via their penises. Just not nice.

The second one, if the place is filled with corpses -just wait a little for the diseases to 'go away', the bodies can be broken down by nature. Everything that is organic can be broken down. So those bodies are just gone in a year or so, making the land even more greeny and nice. Or for short: Fertilizer!
But your "clean genocide" WILL NOT HAPPEN! No one is going to willfully limit people's lives just in hopes of reducing the amount of population, because then the people will begin to riot and overthrow the idiot who decided to make the decision. Chemical weapons are of course one option but that also leaves most of us pretty much screwed.

Level 36

Someone's played too much fallout 3. xD

But your "clean genocide" WILL NOT HAPPEN! No one is going to willfully limit people's lives just in hopes of reducing the amount of population, because then the people will begin to riot and overthrow the idiot who decided to make the decision. Chemical weapons are of course one option but that also leaves most of us pretty much screwed.

That's the problem. We can't bring ourselves to solve the problem because the decision conflicts with our morals. The only way it could happen is through a war with an excuse, except covered up better than Bush's oil war.

Level 13
I don't think nuclear radiation actually cause such mutations as people believe they will D: . You most likely will get tumors but you won't became a crazed manbearpig.

Hell, even in Fallout 3 pretty much the only creatures that were actually results of radiation were Brahmin, the giant insects, Ghouls and perhaps Mirelurks, not sure about them.

Things like Deathclaws were result of genetical engineering done by teh US GOV'N'MENT to create a race of SUPAH BEASTS for war! The Super Muties are result of people dipped in FEV and Centaurs are humans and various other creatures dipped in FEV.

Level 3
option 1:
Declare World War III and starts fighting because of the lame economy issues

option 2:
Develop high end machines and cause it lost control to kill human

option 3:
spay 90% of the populations in the earth

Level 12
Do you guys read scifi sometimes?

In few centuries from now on, On Earth will be Central breading program, in which only perfect people will born. Sex will be punished and there will be many exiles in the underground and sewers which will still get birth by the "original way"

The earth will be contaminated by gases, sulphur oxides etc. And the next Ice Age will come. The Top 10K of the richest people will travel to some kind of syntetic biosphere system, with automatical cycles of day/night and temperature etc. Only one language will be spoken, some kind of hybrid english with influence of other big languages. Meanwhile, the ruler of world will try to give life to system which will teach young babies only one syntethic language (some kind of esperanto), so english will be punished too.

Level 35
Nature will take care of itself.

When the population of humankind becomes too much, the scarcity of resources will take its course, and people will simply die of starvation, disease, and the elements. Then the population will die off in epidemics, and famine, and the remaining human population will resurface to replenish and rebuild, and do it all over again.

No need to commit genocide, or sterilize the population. Gaia will do it for us.

Level 34
People have been saying the world is overpopulated for centuries.

Also, did you know that the birth rate in most of Europe and American is almost equal to the death rate? We actually aren't producing enough children. Except India. They got us covered.

Level 27
The neat thing about carrying capacity is that the carrying capacity is maintained. The less people there are, the more free resources there are to have more people. You don't get people dying in large numbers unless the birth rate is the same. If you have food for 10 people, and you have 11 people, then when one dies you don't have a problem. Since our population is still growing this means we haven't reached the carrying capacity.

The neat thing about humans is that we can produce resources. I'm not talking about bees making honey or cows making milk, they rely on things further down the food chain. I'm talking about those things further down the food chain. We can facilitate plant growth. This opens up much larger carrying capacities than were ever possible before. It's not even a matter of farming space, because we can produce that too. As long as the law of conservation of mass and energy holds, the potential to make a larger carrying capacity will exist for eons.

The neat thing about numbers is that it is the most effective survival mechanism. When one of us dies, there are more to take our place. When catastrophe strikes, as catastrophe often does, people will die. The best way to ensure species survival is to have more of us than the catastrophe can kill. Viruses have killed way more people than people have. You might say they are our biggest threat. We can't use solely numbers against viruses because they have numbers too. It isn't our numbers themselves that defend us.

The neat thing about numbers in relation to an organism is that it breeds diversity. You might remember from evolution class that diversity is the core of evolution. If we were all the same, nothing would ever change. Luckily for us this isn't the case. Each of us is different, and when two of us get together, we can make another unique organism. This new organism could be anything. It all depends on what it gets from its parents. If we restrict what qualities we allow parents to have, we slow the already creepingly slow evolution process down even further. We limit diversity, and in doing so we limit our greatest defense against viruses. If we let that one person have children, we might get a few children somewhere down the line that are immune to a virus that will wipe out everyone else.

Maybe the virus is coming and we've already killed off the branch that would have been immune. Who knows?

Level 34
The more we talk about genes, birth and control plus evolution, the more we head to the Übermensch section of the story. Which probally lead to flamefests and nazism. Just a thought.

And in the beginning I thought this thread would be a happy thread.

Level 27
Weak or small amounts of antibiotics leaked into the environment and a little evolution took place. We now have bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.

Disease is constantly evolving and getting better, so must we.

Level 11
sooner or later viruses wont even exist because of human antibiotics/ Your genial pool of DNA immunity mutations.

The main reason people in the past didn't die of the deadliest diseases there are today, is that they were killed off by the other diseases that killed people in the past, like ammonia and such, that killed almost no one today. As soon as we find a cure, another disease will emerge, that we didn't know about, because we died of other stuff.

Let's take an example: no one had Alzheimer's in the dark ages. This is because people who got really old died at age 45. And since when do 45-year olds get Alzheimer's?

Well, of course it is possible, but not as likely as a 75-year old.

Level 35
*Elenai resets the thread*

Overpopulation, how to deal with it: 101

Has anyone ever thought of humans growing smaller? Afterall...smaller people = more space, we might adapt that way.

What would humans look like in such a vast stretch of future?

(even when I didn't believe in Evolution, I always wondered what we would look like if we did)

Level 11
well there is supposed to be like 12-15 billion people by the year 2050 right? and by then we will be like colonizing the moon, and then by like 2100 if everyone is still alive we could be colonizing planets ^^ (or maybe just 1, mars). and yeah the earth will be a little crowded but who cares, you could just go to a new planet! 100 years ago people were just figuring out stuff (flying, electricity, cars) and now look what we got. you cant throw a cellphone without hitting something that was invented in the last 100 years. 10 years ago PC's were epically limited but now i mean come on, the stuff that can be done is so crazy.

so how that all relates to the human population is that technology will allow us to branch off onto the moon, mars, space stations. i bet parts of the north and south could be used to create sustainable cities without the use of the rest of the world. technology will allow us to spread out so that 20-25 billion humans can live and thrive in our galaxy.

EDIT: i don't think people will get smaller as time goes on. with our understanding of our bodies, science will just keep letting us get bigger and bigger. i don't mean dramatically, but we certainly wont be getting smaller.

as for cities in the future, we cant even contemplate it probably. will we have super-cars, or transporters? or some people mover invention that rips us across towns/countries in just a short time? 100 years ago people wouldn't be able to understand the world we live in because were infinitely more advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.