• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Actually the resources we've got on earth are more than enough for the current population, whether food, water, electricity or whatever... and most of the needed resources tend to be recyclable and would last for billions of years.

Not true, just for the most used example: if every Chinese wanted an egg for breakfast, we would not have any left for the rest of the world. The world does not have enough food to keep up with the food-intake of a regular western citizen for everyone. Neither do we have much space to build new- we need out nature- the only place I can think would be the deserts, though they are difficult to build on considering it's just sand.. sand is not very safe to build on.

No to be honest, we are at least 4 times as many on earth as we should be. That doesn't mean we should proceed to massacre anyone though, we just need to find new ways of making food and housing without destroying nature.

We do not have enough energy, once the organic resources are used up, we do not have sufficient technology to use the 'fast regenerating' resources - yes we do have such facilities (a whole bunch of them), but they are not efficient enough, and even now people have trouble with energy - some places there's only electricity a few hours a day, some have no electricity at all. The only thing that we actually do have enough of, seeing as it does not disappear, is water - yet not everyone get all the water they need because; western population is too greedy, it is used to produce energy and is thus not suitable for drinking, or it is polluted by nearby facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 27
Resouces

if we had more death and less population this world would have less problems
Yes, less total problems. Still the same number of problems per capita, so you get a feedback loop.
if every Chinese wanted an egg for breakfast, we would not have any left for the rest of the world.
If every Chinese person wanted an egg for breakfast, China would have more egg farms. They don't, however, so they don't.
The world does not have enough food to keep up with the food-intake of a regular western citizen for everyone.
Neither do they need to.
Neither do we have much space to build new- we need out nature- the only place I can think would be the deserts, though they are difficult to build on considering it's just sand.. sand is not very safe to build on.
Not for building skyscrapers from the ground up anyway. Not that a skyscraper on firm ground doesn't have to go underground either. You know, I doubt that statement was very informed at all. Also, the ocean takes up more surface space than the land does. We are nowhere near maxing out the building space of the surface of the Earth.
we just need to find new ways of making food and housing without destroying nature.
And yet, here we sit.
not everyone get all the water they need because; western population is too greedy,
Were they sucking up the water from the other side of the planet? <_<
Religion is actually the biggest cause of wars and deaths from the beginning of time. More people have died in the name of God of gods, then for any other reason.
Citation needed. Badly. Religion does not possess the ability to start war. Suppose there were a holy book containing divine words from God buried somewhere in... Antarctica. We obviously have not found this divine book yet, but there it sits. What power does the religion of this book contain? What can the religion of this book ever do? There is nothing an idea can accomplish because it has no limbs with which to accomplish anything.

You know what causes war? Leaders. Nothing else is capable. Only a leader can lead an army. Without the leader, the army disintegrates. Why do leaders war? Simply, power. There is no other reason. Plus most religions say things that would prevent war. Even if a leader is saying that a war has religious pretext, they are lying because their religious texts say otherwise.
If you look at New York city from an airplane you see all these factories and smoke and its just like we destroyed nature when you compare that view for the view of a beautiful intact forest.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Though I agree that modern day architects are not very artistic. >_>

Level 11
Well 1. our buildings are a part of nature, we are nature but Im just saying, they we have created it, it does not look as pleasing as we could do.

2. Im not saying religion starts wars as in its just a book with words telling ppl go kill those other ppl. I mean people believe in religion, they read it the way they want and create wars on the beliefs of religion. Some examples are crusades, muslim conquests, reconquista, those are all past religous wars. We still have religous wars going on in Iraq. And its just ridiculous. Now don't get me wrong, I think religion is ridiculous, but not the belief in a higher power such as a God. Every religion has his book with writings which people use to create wars. Now those books were written by man, not God, and its just stupid to have those kind of wars. So yea, religion does posses the ability to start a war, as each religion is produced by man. And what I mean by that is, all those writings in those holy books might be total bs, cause were man. Were not God.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If every Chinese person wanted an egg for breakfast, China would have more egg farms. They don't, however, so they don't.
t.t
That's not the point. Chinese people have the same right to have eggs for breakfast as everyone else, of course- it's the groceries' responsibility to make sure they have eggs, and that probably won't happen, but it still is so that if chinese grocieres paid the chicken farms the highest price for eggs, they would most likely get all the eggs, and there would be none left for others.
Anyhow, the point is that we do NOT have enough food production in the world for everyone- yet people are turning their farms from producing food into biodiesel- which will further limit food supply.

Neither do they need to.
Eventually, there will be wars over food because it's not shared. It's the only thing that quickly establishes a new balance.

Not for building skyscrapers from the ground up anyway. Not that a skyscraper on firm ground doesn't have to go underground either. You know, I doubt that statement was very informed at all. Also, the ocean takes up more surface space than the land does. We are nowhere near maxing out the building space of the surface of the Earth.

Building in the sand in general, is a bad idea. Considering the desert is just sand (unless you dig all the way down 'till you hit something solid, which would probably be deep), it is not very suitable to build on. We do not possess the technology to build on and under water efficiently (we've got oil rigs and large boats, but it's not a very developed solution).

So, as the situation is now, we have too little space. Everytime we expand into nature, we ruin the ecosystem more and more. This also has an effect on global warming because we process less CO2 with less nature and almost no companies willing to help out with it (we have the technology).

And yet, here we sit.
Aye, no one seem to be doing crap about it.

Were they sucking up the water from the other side of the planet? <_<
Don't play dumb.

Level 11
1. there will be on wars over food, thats the stupidest shit ever. Ofcourse third world countrys arent getting huge ammounts of food, but on an over all scale of war over food is ridunculous.

2. Yea we can build floating buildings on water, so you fail.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

1. there will be on wars over food, thats the stupidest shit ever. Ofcourse third world countrys arent getting huge ammounts of food, but on an over all scale of war over food is ridunculous.

2. Yea we can build floating buildings on water, so you fail.

You didn't read what I posted, this hardly related reply is the result.

I said we can build on water, but the technology is not advanced enough to be effective yet, which is why there is still no city that is entirely based on water, neither do we have under-water cities.

War over food is not some ridiculous idea I came up with at random, it already exists. It's mere logic. Human instinct makes us want to survive, and we will kill others in order to benefit ourselves when desperation wins.

Level 11
You didn't read what I posted, this hardly related reply is the result.

I said we can build on water, but the technology is not advanced enough to be effective yet, which is why there is still no city that is entirely based on water, neither do we have under-water cities.

War over food is not some ridiculous idea I came up with at random, it already exists. It's mere logic. Human instinct makes us want to survive, and we will kill others in order to benefit ourselves when desperation wins.

Actually we have the technology and have produced beta houses that can have ppl live on the water, not like oil rigs. So your wrong. The technology is there and we can produce them.

Yea animal instinct, but I think we evolved enough to not kill our neighbor for a loaf of bread, instead gather seeds plant them and have food for you yuour neighbor , for several dyas or what not. You taking this food shit as if we were still caveman. Idk maybe thats what you dream about.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yes, we can build on water (for the third time), but the technology is not efficient enough - how do they handle pipelines etc?

We haven't evolved not to kill civilians because we believe a terrorist is in a certain country. What makes you think you wouldn't kill your neighbour if you've been without food for a month and he's killed a bird and is now proceeding to roast it.

Level 11
Yes, we can build on water (for the third time), but the technology is not efficient enough - how do they handle pipelines etc?

We haven't evolved not to kill civilians because we believe a terrorist is in a certain country. What makes you think you wouldn't kill your neighbour if you've been without food for a month and he's killed a bird and is now proceeding to roast it.

You are mental. They have thought of that already. Might I suggest the frikin OCEAN. Your totally mental. Yea lets make frikin pipelines ontop of the ocean, when we have a filtering system beneath us.

Now terrorism is all about your ego of your nation controlling it people.

If my neighbor was roasting a bird, good for him, Id go plant fucking seeds, so next season Id have more then just a bird, and by then he would probably be dead.

so faill..

and for the "third" time, look up your material before you post stupid shit like our technology is not equiped to have buildings on water and shit. Just cause you don't see them don't mean they don't exist.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You are mental. They have thought of that already. Might I suggest the frikin OCEAN. Your totally mental. Yea lets make frikin pipelines ontop of the ocean, when we have a filtering system beneath us.

Now terrorism is all about your ego of your nation controlling it people.

If my neighbor was roasting a bird, good for him, Id go plant fucking seeds, so next season Id have more then just a bird, and by then he would probably be dead.

so faill..

and for the "third" time, look up your material before you post stupid shit like our technology is not equiped to have buildings on water and shit. Just cause you don't see them don't mean they don't exist.

I was just wondering what you're going to eat waiting for those seeds to make food.

Oh, and yeah.. let's put all the shit in the ocean, it's not like it's FUCKING DISGUSTING or anything.

Don't know why you put the terrorism part in there.

Let me know when you've got a full city (all instances of one) that is fully functional that is floating around on the water. Give me a picture of it. You won't, because the technology is not developed enough to start building damn cities on water. And until then, we've got lack of space for new buildings- that's why we expand upwards, make taller buildings. Just look at the slums everywhere, they need houses. We ain't got them.

Level 11
Shiik, I dont have to show you shit, that is why ppl invented google. We have buildings on water already.

We have systems that filter our shit and release it to the water.

And by the way, where the fuck do you think your shit goes?

Dumbass.

And if you had to reply to teh_ephys post, im betting what he/she (still have no clue, god dam avatar confuses me) said is true.

Oh yea, there are like thousands of edible plants that are not sold in stores, how about I go find them and eat them. Your just plain stupid and have never read and book in your life have you.

Oh I was wondering what you eat which the seeds grow <-----

You DUMBASS.

I could go outside and find nutrition from sources everywhere.

Insects, bugs, plants, weeds.

cabbage was a frikin weed.

ppl harvested and formed it into different varieties.

Jesus christ, its just hurts my brain trying to explain these kind of things to a dumbass. Not like youll understand you'll just go questioning it like your a 6 year old.

Level 11
Hindy i havent said canoe, i havent said skyscrapper, if you google for what im talking about buildings on water, you will see that it is possible, it has been done, and you can not say it can't because there is proof out there.

and is ephy a 13 year old girl?

I thought it was like a 22 year old dude with girl fetishes

Level 20
I was obviously exaggerating. I think what shiiK is trying to say is that even if we are able to build a few buildings on water, we still haven't built a community, and what good is a house in the middle of the sea? There are many other implications involved in a settlement than simply "i kan haz build house??"

I thought everyone knew that she was a girl. Why else would she have such a feminine avatar? I mean, come on.

Level 11
Well I have been on other forums, where you had geeks or w.e some wierdos with girly shit but they were like 30 year old guys. Hey its the internet you never noe.

And yea they have solutions to that, but the cost for it to be implemented is the problem at the moment.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

NoAmmoSrry, see the last thing you said there is what I've been saying all along. It's not effective, yet. heck we have floating buildings in Norway too, but it's not a city and it's not developed so that it can become a city yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_city

Few years ago there was a concept for a large ship that would be a city, with parks, apartments, schools, cities, bars and all the departments and facilities that come with a city, but it has not been developed yet - besides it is a boat and not a proper city.

Hindy basically summed it up with the skyscraper - canoe comparison.

Level 11
bad refrence, cause it doesnt show shit, and no you have been saying not techonologically effective, which is totall bull. And i have said cost effective. We cab build what ever the fuck you could think of on water but it's cost are pretty high.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Technology does not allow for effective construction of floating cities. That does not mean the technology cannot build houses on water, it means it's not effective- which in this case relates to the lack of technology to make it cheap.

As for the reference, that was the entire point. The relations to floating cities are few- there's ships and fictional ideas.

Level 27
if chinese grocieres paid the chicken farms the highest price for eggs, they would most likely get all the eggs, and there would be none left for others.
Then they would breed more chickens to match demand. You can't sell all ten cars to the highest bidder. They only want one car. You'll have to sell the rest of the cars to the next highest bidders. Additionally, China would be springing up with thousands of chicken farms because they can sell them for a lot cheaper than foreign trade can.

Chinese people not eating an egg every day for breakfast does not indicate a food shortage.
Anyhow, the point is that we do NOT have enough food production in the world for everyone
The point is that we do. There is literally enough food to feed everyone. The only reason it does not is because it is not distributed. Of course, to distribute it, you'd need to solve the distribution problem, but there are other solutions.
Eventually, there will be wars over food because it's not shared.
Strictly local "wars," maybe. You don't see Africa attacking other nations. Or anyone else attacking anyone else because of hunger problems in their own country, for that matter.
Building in the sand in general, is a bad idea.
But, we still can do it. Takes a bit of a different approach, but still doable. Also, not all the deserts of the world are pure sand down to the bedrock. We've got plenty of valid building space.
Don't play dumb.
How does western civilization being greedy suck up water? As far as I'm know, the only time people have a problem getting water is when there is a drought. Attributing all or any drought to the greed of western civilization is a pretty big leap.
Oh, and yeah.. let's put all the shit in the ocean, it's not like it's FUCKING DISGUSTING or anything.
Removable sewage tank? It would be akin to the garbage trucks we have on land.
Let me know when you've got a full city (all instances of one) that is fully functional that is floating around on the water.
Would that we could, just to prove you wrong, but alas, there is no demand for such a city. We wouldn't be able to get the funding.
You won't, because the technology is not developed enough to start building damn cities on water.
I cannot attest to that. How long it would take to develop is another factor. We might be just a few inches from the goal. I can sure tell you that the demand is not there. Otherwise there would be something in popular media about it. If we really are running out of building space that wont harm the environment, there's sure nobody noticing.
that's why we expand upwards, make taller buildings.
Hey. Look. Expansion.
Just look at the slums everywhere, they need houses.
Yes, bu-
We ain't got them.
-t, that is not necessarily true. I'm pretty sure we do have the houses, they just don't have the money to buy or rent them. The cause of a problem is rarely a single factor.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

First of, whoever split this, at least make the title proper spelled. I am not letting a thread named 'Resouces' stay here with me as thread starter..

Hakeem, quick question. Are you American? 'cause in that case I won't bring this argument any further. That is entirely useless.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I personally think Hakeem is cleaning up the mess that has been left in other threads. Might be we'll see some more from the old threads.. I guess.

Level 24
Hakeem, quick question. Are you American? 'cause in that case I won't bring this argument any further. That is entirely useless.
Didn't I just get in trouble for hating an entire continent for no real reason? Shouldn't being biased against a country for no good reason be exactly the same? Oh wait, it is exactly the same. I think we're getting back to that "faggot" point I made earlier?

Level 15
FACT:
Phoenix, Arizona was first built on a desert.

FACT:
It has since grown to be the 5th largest city in NORTH AMERICA

FACT:
I live there

FACT:
It used to sink almost 1 cm per year (because it's built on pure sand).

FACT:
It doesn't anymore because they started putting more water back into the sand.

FACT:
Phoenix used to be in a drought due to it being a desert.

FACT:
Phoenix is NOT in a drought anymore due to urbanization.

Yes, we can build communities in desert areas. In fact, why don't we just take over Africa and urbanize the entire continent? That's a whole lot of space considering all of it is barren except for a few villages, which, really serve no purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.