• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestion: The request form, A hotfix

Contest or event?

• Contest

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Event

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, lets face it. The request section sucks. most of the time, unless your request is super easy, no one actually ends up doing it. most requests get ignored and the request section doesn't function the way it should in this community, where ideally anything that you need will be provided for you by the loving community, and i have two similar ideas to fix the problem

The arena: Request contest
A contest where all the requests that are active for the month or sothat haven't been met. all contestants get a chance at doing as many of the requests as possible. contestants get graded on
satisfactory factor (has the request been met?)
quality
quantity
difficulty (for each request done)

Monthly even, Helping hand
All the active requests are listed, graded by difficulty 1-5
the reward grows exponentially with difficulty, for example, lets say difficulty 1 give 4 reputation, difficulty 3 gives 10, and difficulty 5 gives 30, or something like that

I honestly don't think that the reqeust section sucks. Help happens voluntarily, and the community regulates its extent. You for sure will have more luck with simple tasks, but that's very naturally.

The arena's primary goal is to bring a fun theme, to compete against others, and to win against the competitors. The themes shouldn't be necessarily abused to compensate the lack of covering from the request-, or from some other section. However, if you can nicely bring your request theme up up in some contest discussion, it may be chosen, just like any other theme. The people will decide in the end. So you might be lucky, but again, the arena itself should not regulate your request by its nature.

Monthly even, Helping hand
All the active requests are listed, graded by difficulty 1-5
the reward grows exponentially with difficulty, for example, lets say difficulty 1 give 4 reputation, difficulty 3 gives 10, and difficulty 5 gives 30, or something like that
If you want, then you can maintain such a list where you list all requests. People who want to help could take a look at the list, which could fasten some process, or to help not to forget certain requests. Requesting section is something nice to have, but the community may regulate the reputation rewards itself without interaction from staff, and on regular basis it is something personal, for your own project.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Actually an interesting idea.
I have a weird feeling regarding the success however.

Anyway, I do agree that a lot of requests get ignored.
I do not do a request unless:
1. It is insanely simple and takes me 20 seconds
2. I get really inspired
3. I see myself using whatever I create myself in the future

Also, there is usually no reward.
Some may say that you should help because you want to, not for some reward.
Which I think is pretty stupid considering no one would have a job if they did not get payed.
I do not feel like making a system that might take 5 hours to complete (yes, some requests are pretty large) for 1 rep and maybe have your name in the credits which no one reads.
Yes, triggering/coding can be fun, but it is funnier to work on something I choose over something someone requests most of the time, so if the reward is whatever, I will just do that instead.
Obviously I am not proposing that you should get real life money for it, I am just explaining why I would generally not do it.

Most of the requests are for people inexperienced in the field of the request or a task to difficult for them. The way the request section is currently is very natural, but ideally, as a community we can try and help out everyone while keeping it fun for all parties involved. My idea is not perfect; it needs a lot of polishing. The concept is what is nice. No one will be forced to participate in the event or contest, but rather its an encouragement method. If the request form gets recognition once a month rather than just keeping it buried away as a forum, and if a reward is present and its an event, then more people can have the things they need for their projects.

Did you see @Rufus' reviewer exchange? Why don't you start something similar yourself but with requests :)

Hive's Request Exchange Workshop

Rules

Request Rules:
-Requested resources serve the community, not just the individual.
Your requested resource needs to be used to develop another resource ex: asking for a weapon for the unit model you are making, and/or be used in a map, campaign, or a tutorial or something that servers the community equally.

-Requested resources are to be utilized immediately
Requested resourced need to be useful now. Hard-drive stashing requested resources is a waste of time for the people that spend time and effort working on it. If you don't need your resource until a month or two later, then do not ask for it until then, so that urgent requests can be attended to.

-Requested resources need to be published and available if useful
This is to further enrich the community with quality resources.

-Requested resources meet the Hive's rules and standards
All hive workshop rules still apply here. If you aren't familiar with them please give them a read, there is only a few.
Concept
The requests will be sorted by type and then listed in order of difficulty. if you satisfy a request, you are encouraged to publish the resource in the appropriate resource section and link this thread to help others find it.
Requests Index

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

submit a request

Step 1: Prepare your materials:
think, what are all the things you can do to make the job of the person who will make your request easier? easily first is lots of pictures, reference pictures resource pictures, any pictures. lets say you have multiple models that you want re-skinned. Take individual pictures of each model like they are individual requests. prepare the files, do not put everything in a compressed file, unless the file is huge and needs to be compressed, otherwise separate them. Properly label all relevant materials

Step 2: Submit a request following template:
By following this template, it will make it very simple to plug your request into this megathread, and it will also make your request more presentable in the main thread.

Code:
[box="Request"]
Request title: //describe your request in the simplest form
Request type: //(3D Model, 2D Art, Icon, Script, Terrain, or Other)
Request subtypes: //Animation, Re-skin, Spell, etc. (use all relevant)

Description: //Here you will describe everything you want to the best of your ability. Try to clearly state the things that you want and what you don't want

Use: //Here you will describe why you need this request, what it will be used for, how, and everything relevant

[hidden="Relevant material"] //Here you will post all of the relevant media like pictures and the links that are needed to download things if applicable.
[/hidden]
[/box]

Request

Request title: Add legs to unit (stonneash's Shaman)
Request type: 3D Model
Request subtype: Model edit

Description: I need legs attached to this model behind the skirt with the feet sticking out just below the front of it so that it kinda rest and drapes over it. I'd like the quality to match the rest of the model and to use the same texture.

Use: I will be using this in my FAKEPROJECT linked here: FAKELINK

full

FAKELINK to download mdx file

FAKELINK to download 3ds file

Step 3: Notify me of your listing with a link to your thread so I can add it to the list.

Archived requests

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

Nothing here

edit: Maybe it can be sticky-ed?

Good initiative! Most requests go unanswered. That problem's been there since my time. Arranging contests to try to mitigate this state of affairs seems like a great idea, if well implemented!
Thank you! right now we are trying to see how well the new thread will work. So far all the 2 requests were immediately satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.