1. The results for Texturing Contest #28 are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join us in our custom games night on Saturday, July 14. If you'd like to create a map for the night, check out the map challenge!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join in on Icon Contest #17 and show your interpretation of a legendary equipment set!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Music Contest #10 Retro is out! Join us for some retro/vintage fun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Don't be stagnant - embrace change! The time has come to evolve and join the Techtree Contest #12 - Evolution.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. On May 20th a new law about privacy and data processing comes into work in the EU. I am no lawyer and I need help figuring out if we comply and if not, what we must do about it. Please message me if you can provide any assistance. Read more. Ralle
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the CASC madness

Discussion in 'Patch Discussion' started by Selaya, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Selaya

Selaya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Simple thread, as the title says.
    Stop this asinine CASC madness that's coming with 1.30, please revert to the tried-and-true MPQ format and start using
    war3patch.mpq
    again (keep
    war3.mpq
    and
    war3x.mpq
    contents identical through the patches to not have the patcher redownload the entire client), don't make all the modders and their tools rely on old patches (even more).

Thank you.

2. Velmarshal

Velmarshal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seconded. The drawbacks far outweigh the benefits.

3. DatBoi

DatBoi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do I sign here or what

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Fun times...

5. actboy168

actboy168

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Retera You have been summoned.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can't you bypass this by just putting the .mpq files in your 1.30 directory manually.
    Textures are not updated anyway so you can just bring a copy over from 1.24 or something.
    I still have a second warcraft 3 installation to access some JNGP features so for me this would not be a problem.

Same for others, probably.

Modders always find a way.

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think the idea is to be able to mod the game on whichever patch version it is not be forced to keep older versions which over time might not be compatible with newer versions.

9. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In which case you could update the mpq manually.

Is it ideal? no

But it wont end model viewers/editors, as some people may think

10. Retera

Retera

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where I see the issue is that new people wouldn't be able to join the modding community with this "don't you just have the old version?" idea.
    For example, if a relative of mine who played the game in 2008 redownloads the game from his linked Battle.net CD key now, after 10 years, on a totally new computer, and then asks me for tips on how to make a model, I don't want to tell him, "Well, you can't, you didn't back up your game client in 2008 like I did"

Obviously I'm in a position like several others, where the modding software that I use and that I write will keep working on my computer one way or another. But it seems to me that there is a social benefit for it to be able to work on anybody's computer who has Warcraft III installed. Several have told me to port the CascView lib to Java for my Java model editor. Generally, they are right that this is the way to go forward. But during the time that I do so (I'm a hobbyist, so it might be slow) I foresee a "blip" in the set of available WC3 Model Viewer software for the average user.

Ghostwolf's online viewer is beautiful, and will keep working here on the Hive, but after someone downloads a model they might wish to view it again. And, many of the highest rated models use in-game textures. So, in my opinion, Blizzard would be doing us a big favor if they released a mini Model Viewer EXE with the game's own code for 3-6 months while the community catches up with CASC.
    It could be that I'm too much of an old timer, and that the average users are only going to browse custom models on the Hive itself and in the Warcraft III world editor -- and both of those will keep working fine, for certain.

I messaged one of the recent Blizzard hires from the Hive about this idea, and his response was:

I love his optimism, but as the one working on my software, I'm painfully aware of the things that Magos has that it currently lacks (rendering particle emitters, animated textures, the ability to edit almost everything in the model in simple dialogues). To get work done faster, it might be time for me to do a better job actually embracing the power of open source and getting others to contribute to the "matrix eater" codebase.

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    More likely, a mod would put an up to date mpq in the magos' thread.
    So it would be an extra download, an annoying one though.

Personally, I never 'look' at models through magos, the only reason I have it downloaded is to check which textures a model use.
    Scenario: I download a model pack with custom texture, but I only want one of the models.
    In which case I load up magos to check which textures it uses and the path they should be imported to

So to me, a mere viewer would not be enough, sadly

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Chaosy Isn't there a simple little program, already available on the Hive, which does that? "MDXPather"?

13. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh? never heard of it before

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Retera was just telling me about it...

15. Retera

Retera

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mdx Pather

This tool does not use game files, and will always work, regardless of MPQ vs CASC. But it might help you for what you were talking about

16. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Oh dear. First the updater fiasco and now this... Really?

17. Retera

Retera

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, Frotty, you do stuff with Warcraft + Java, right? Do you feel a necessary for a Java CASC lib, too? What are you likely to do about that?
    I know at one point I think I mentioned trying to work together or share code between some of the stuff you do and the Matrix Eater codebase that I've kept using for several years, and you didn't like the idea because you found the Matrix Eater's codebase to be unprofessional. I agree that portions are unprofessional, to an extent, but I never made the time to rework stuff that I wrote in high school.
    Despite all that, should we be working on a Java CASC lib together somehow?

18. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Publicly misquoting me from a PM seems a bit odd - I never called it unprofessional (iirc), simply unusable as dependency in it's form at the time, due to not using a dependency manager, no unit tests, no CI etc.
    I'm always eager to share code - but due to the state of your repositories this didn't seem easy. I would suggest collecting java wc3 filehandling in inwc3/wc3libs - I'm not sure about the coverage of topics with this your and JWc3libs, but if you have stuff to add, we can work on a PR together.

Regarding CASC, imo this should also be a separate library like mpq handling, and probably ported from ladislav-zezula/CascLib
    Unless you feel like writing it from scratch - I don't really :D
    If you want to port casclib or whip up something custom, I could help you out, especially regarding using it as a dependency :)

19. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Build an MPQ<->Casc converter/adapter :D

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't want to be forced to install further programs like Java to be able to run Warcraft III or something for it. I don't remember installing anything to be able to use Magus.